Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

weirdojace posted:

Frogs is awesome and not even the fact that Wayne hates it can ruin it for me. Though it seems like Wayne kinda hates everything before The Soft Bulletin.

Which is a shame because that's when they did their best work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
There's only two Flaming Lips albums that I dislike, honestly, those being Telepathic Surgery (since it's pretty lousy apart from a couple tracks) and At War with the Mystics (which is scattershot as all hell). Otherwise, I appreciate basically everything the band's done, though yeah I'm the biggest fan of the band's early-to-mid 90s run. (Soft Bulletin and Embryonic both come pretty close to that high water mark for me, though).

And, yeah, I'm getting really tired of Wayne's antics and just want him to focus on releasing good (or at least interesting) music.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Telepathic Surgery is a good album that suffers from atrocious mixing. "Chrome Plated Suicide" is one of their best tunes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As I said in an earlier post, I'm still pretty new to this band and am a little surprised for all the love for the pre-Soft Bulletin stuff. I know their sound was totally different back then, but I figured since the band has mostly abandoned that material the newer space rock/psychadelic stuff was what everyone cared about.

I'm glad though, I was planning on buying a couple more Lips albums with my next paycheck. I only currently have Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, but I've listened to bits and pieces of most of their stuff from Transmissions from the Satellite Heart on. I want to get that one, and I'm kind of leaning towards Clouds Taste Metallic but would any of you have any suggestions for another instead, perhaps something post-Yoshimi?

Not going to lie, I haven't been all that impressed with what I've heard from At War with the Mystics, but I wouldn't turn it away.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd say get Clouds and Transmissions anyway, but also get Embryonic.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Yoshimi is an overrated album but I can't forget that it was my favorite album when I was 12, which is when I had a pretty weak taste in music. Approaching Mons by Whateverwhatever is still one of the best songs they've ever done, for my money. I can (and do) listen to that song every day, when the horns come in it's just beautiful.

At War is a pretty crappy album overall but Vein of Stars and Pompeii are two of my favorite post-Roland Lips ballads.

I don't think Wayne hates pre- SB, it's just that most people who got to Lips shows are going to hear newer stuff. I would loving kill to see Slow Nerve Action live though.

EDIT- I also wouldn't be surprised if Steven felt uncomfortable playing guitar licks that he didn't actually write.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Slackerish posted:

I don't think Wayne hates pre- SB, it's just that most people who got to Lips shows are going to hear newer stuff. I would loving kill to see Slow Nerve Action live though.

I've said this several times in some version of this thread. Moth in the Incubator! On one hand I want to hear it live. On the other hand I wonder if it would be anywhere near as good without Ronald Jones. When I listened to the live version of it (featuring Ronald) from the Fearless Freaks soundtrack I was nearly brought to tears. He was an incredible musician with the most unique style I've ever heard. I don't think we'll ever see his like again.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

crankdatbatman posted:

As I said in an earlier post, I'm still pretty new to this band and am a little surprised for all the love for the pre-Soft Bulletin stuff. I know their sound was totally different back then, but I figured since the band has mostly abandoned that material the newer space rock/psychadelic stuff was what everyone cared about.

I'm glad though, I was planning on buying a couple more Lips albums with my next paycheck. I only currently have Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, but I've listened to bits and pieces of most of their stuff from Transmissions from the Satellite Heart on. I want to get that one, and I'm kind of leaning towards Clouds Taste Metallic but would any of you have any suggestions for another instead, perhaps something post-Yoshimi?

Not going to lie, I haven't been all that impressed with what I've heard from At War with the Mystics, but I wouldn't turn it away.
Personally, I'd get Embryonic. People give it some flak because it's pretty sprawling and out there but it's one of my personal favorite albums. You should definitely give it a listen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Get Zaireeka. If you don't have access to four CD players, there are free downloads out there (I think so, it's been awhile) that have all four discs mixed to one. There was also a guy on the Lips forums years ago that made DVD's to Zaireeka with trippy imagery. I managed to get one and it's incredible, IMO "Driving To Work" is one of the best songs they've recorded.

Also the problem with Mystics for me is the way it was recorded, the ridiculous amounts of compression rape your ears and make it almost unlistenable with earphones. I could probably enjoy it if it wasn't for that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 27, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

crankdatbatman posted:

Well some of us are really old and actually got into the band back then. :)

quote:

Get the re-release of In a Priest Driven Ambulance which comes with a whole extra disc of awesome. It's called The Day They Shot the Hole in the Jesus Egg. No I don't know why they changed the album's title for the re-issue.

Transmissions, Clouds, and Embryonic are also super.

So is Hit To Death.

I have a hard time not recommending any of those, and my favorites change often. For a long time, In a Priest was my favorite thing of theirs. Then again it's easily the most, I guess, "traditional" album they've done, it has noisy and it has Neil Young-ish ballad but it really doesn't get too weird. That works in its favor, though.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

leica posted:

Get Zaireeka. If you don't have access to four CD players, there are free downloads out there (I think so, it's been awhile) that have all four discs mixed to one. There was also a guy on the Lips forums years ago that made DVD's to Zaireeka with trippy imagery. I managed to get one and it's incredible, IMO "Driving To Work" is one of the best songs they've recorded.

Also the problem with Mystics for me is the way it was recorded, the ridiculous amounts of compression rape your ears and make it almost unlistenable with earphones. I could probably enjoy it if it wasn't for that.

If you go searching for Zaireeka mixdowns (and you should, I've never heard it in its "intended" form but it's still one of my favorite Lips albums), the one by "soniclovenoize" is the best.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

precision posted:

I think Telepathic Surgery is a good album that suffers from atrocious mixing. "Chrome Plated Suicide" is one of their best tunes.

It's kinda goofy and not everything on it works (which I guess you could say about the other two albums before it), but I have a soft spot for it. It's probably the closest representation to what their live show was like at the time.

crankdatbatman posted:

Definitely check out In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Hit to Death in the Future Head. I love the Donahue years.

Slackerish posted:

Yoshimi is an overrated album but I can't forget that it was my favorite album when I was 12, which is when I had a pretty weak taste in music. Approaching Mons by Whateverwhatever is still one of the best songs they've ever done, for my money. I can (and do) listen to that song every day, when the horns come in it's just beautiful.

EDIT- I also wouldn't be surprised if Steven felt uncomfortable playing guitar licks that he didn't actually write.

I think the second half of Yoshimi is pretty great, but I could live with never, ever hearing Fight Test or Yoshimi again. Are You a Hypnotist?? and It's Summertime are two of my favorite Lips songs ever.

And Steven played a lot of the guitar on those two albums with Ronald, moreso on Clouds. He was never really just the drummer or whatever.

The rear end Stooge posted:

If you go searching for Zaireeka mixdowns (and you should, I've never heard it in its "intended" form but it's still one of my favorite Lips albums), the one by "soniclovenoize" is the best.

The whole thing is uploaded here, but honestly Zaireeka really isn't that hard to do properly nowadays. It just takes some ingenuity... you can put one disc on your computer, one on your TV, and then the other two on your stereo or laptop or boombox or whatever. It's a pretty amazing experience.

CPL593H posted:

I've said this several times in some version of this thread. Moth in the Incubator! On one hand I want to hear it live. On the other hand I wonder if it would be anywhere near as good without Ronald Jones. When I listened to the live version of it (featuring Ronald) from the Fearless Freaks soundtrack I was nearly brought to tears. He was an incredible musician with the most unique style I've ever heard. I don't think we'll ever see his like again.

Be My Head was a lot of fun at the show in Clarksdale earlier this year, but in retrospect, it kinda sloppy and weak (especially since Wayne didn't bother to relearn just about any of the lyrics).

The Lollapalooza tour that that recording of Moth is from was pretty great. This show (there's a free download there) is amazing and one of my favorites ever. One of the only known performances of Slow Nerve Action with Ronald.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 27, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Allen Wren posted:

I'd say get Clouds and Transmissions anyway, but also get Embryonic.

This is the correct advice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

As a guy who's always going on about how much better the early to mid 90s Lips were I actually really like Embryonic (and the Dark Side of the Moon cover album).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I used to like Yoshimi, but after being a Lips fan for a few years now I'd have to say I don't like it very much. I do however like At War With the Mystics. Soft Bulletin is my favorite, Embryonic after that, Clouds Taste Metallic and Mystics after that. I don't really like any of their other albums, try as I have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How does one like Clouds but not Transmissions or Hit To Death? :psyduck:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The funny thing about Yoshimi and Mystics is that some of the best songs didn't make the albums. Check out Up Above the Daily Hum, If I Go Mad/Funeral in My Head, The Gold in the Mountains of Our Madness, You've Got To Hold On!, etc. if you haven't heard them.

The spacey prog songs on Mystics are pretty great, but the dumb pop songs are some of their worst ever. That's my problem with that album.

Also, Hit to Death owns. It and Zaireeka are probably my two favorite Lips albums.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the song (Past Lives) that Wayne, Steven, and Ben Folds did for Ke$ha's new album is actually pretty great. It's much, much better than 2012.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 27, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Zaireeka is so underrated. It's very epic, "Your Invisible Now" is breathtaking and that ominous main melody line in "March of the Rotting Vegetables" just slays me.

When I first had it, I loved experimenting with combinations of just 2 of the 4 discs at a time. It was like a whole new album every time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

How does one like Clouds but not Transmissions or Hit To Death? :psyduck:

I personally can't stand the production on Hit to Death nor do I think any of the tracks are that special. I like them but I don't love them. Transmissions doesn't improve on my issues with the production that much but the addition of Ronald and Steven makes for much better songs. Slow Nerve Action and Turn it On are the only songs that I like as much as the songs on Clouds though.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Zaireeka is awesome. If you have the chance to check out the four CD version, do it. The one disc mix is still great, though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alright thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably get Embryonic and the two I mentioned and work my way through their catalog from there.

I can see how Yoshimi can be considered weak, but I personally I find the sequence of "Ego Tripping", "Hypnotist", and "It's Summertime" to be a pretty powerful streak of songs.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Alright thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably get Embryonic and the two I mentioned and work my way through their catalog from there.

I can see how Yoshimi can be considered weak, but I personally I find the sequence of "Ego Tripping", "Hypnotist", and "It's Summertime" to be a pretty powerful streak of songs.

Someone actually uploaded all of Priest Driven Ambulance to YouTube if you wanted to hear it. I agree with precision that it's basically their most 'normal' album, but it's still loving amazing and Mountain Side is probably my all-time favorite Lips song. Especially live. It's really a shame just how overlooked that album is.

Speaking of Yoshimi, just for the hell of it, here's the original early tracklisting for it:

1. Do Ya Realize
2. Are You A Hypnotist
3. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
4. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 2
5. Funeral In My Head
6. Up Above The Daily Hum
7. Fight Test (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 3)
8. Sympathy 3000-21
9. One More Robot
10. Ego Tripping At the Gates of Hell
11. In The Morning of the Magicians
12. It's Summertime
13. All We Have Is Now
14. Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)

Which I kind of like. I think the album would have been much stronger with Daily Hum and Funeral in My Head instead of Yoshimi 1 and 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Someone actually uploaded all of Priest Driven Ambulance to YouTube if you wanted to hear it. I agree with precision that it's basically their most 'normal' album, but it's still loving amazing and Mountain Side is probably my all-time favorite Lips song. Especially live. It's really a shame just how overlooked that album is.

It's funny you should say that, it seems to be pretty much completely an age thing - all the fellow old fucks I know like myself have always been "dude take acid and listen to Priest Driven Ambulance it's THE BEST", even the ones that soured on the band's later material.

I think it has some of their most "genuine" emotional moments. "hosed if ya do, and you're hosed if ya don't". "God was hosed up when he made this town". Etc.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

precision posted:

Zaireeka is so underrated. It's very epic, "Your Invisible Now" is breathtaking and that ominous main melody line in "March of the Rotting Vegetables" just slays me.

When I first had it, I loved experimenting with combinations of just 2 of the 4 discs at a time. It was like a whole new album every time.

I've never had a chance to try it out with the actual discs (never really had access to more than one decent sound system at once) but a friend once played me a DVD he'd made with each of the four discs designed to come out of one of four speakers on a 5.1 setup. That was pretty sweet - being able to use a single remote to control the volume of different speakers was very effective. Not quite the same as having 8 speakers, but pretty cool anyway.

I seem to recall that part of the 'experience' is that if you play the discs on different physical players you'll find that things are invariably slightly out of sync with each other, creating some bizarre sounds, whereas mixing it in this way meant the timing was always spot on.

I'm sure with DVD authoring software it'd be pretty easy to do this again myself, now that I come to think about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quote-Unquote posted:

I seem to recall that part of the 'experience' is that if you play the discs on different physical players you'll find that things are invariably slightly out of sync with each other, creating some bizarre sounds

Yep, I don't know the :science: behind it but apparently CD players will always de-sync from each other much quicker than you'd think. Which makes me wonder all kinds of things about playing songs from CD and how it might imperceptibly change them.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

If you actually open up all of the discs in Audacity, you'll see that they don't all sync up perfectly. I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

It's cool to get them in perfect sync, but it's a lot more fun when they're all off, especially when you add in the fifth disc that Steven made for the 10th anniversary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...there's a FIFTH DISC?!

How did I miss that? Goddamn.

I'm actually listening to Yoshimi for the first time all the way through in ages - probably 5 years or more, honestly. I honestly didn't remember "One More Robot" being this good.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

...there's a FIFTH DISC?!

How did I miss that? Goddamn.

I'm actually listening to Yoshimi for the first time all the way through in ages - probably 5 years or more, honestly. I honestly didn't remember "One More Robot" being this good.

Yeah, it was a DVD for listening parties that also had Wayne introducing and doing a countdown for each track.

I made my own version of it that syncs up easily here (I don't think this is :filez: since it was a free promo?). Some of the stuff on it is really cool, like the orchestra on The Train Runs Over the Camel, the choir on How Will We Know?, the car crashes on March of the Rotten Vegetables, and the banjo on Big Ol' Bug.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2012

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I was actually mailed a promo Disc 10 because I made the definitive terrible Zaireeka YouTube video! It's probably the coolest Lips thing I'll own for the foreseeable future.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

That new Yoshimi CD leaked last night and is worth tracking down if you were interested. There's some pretty cool stuff on it, like an early mix of Are You a Hypnotist?? without any of the live drums, and an unedited version of It's Summertime that's about a minute and a half longer than the album version.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, it was a DVD for listening parties that also had Wayne introducing and doing a countdown for each track.

I made my own version of it that syncs up easily here (I don't think this is :filez: since it was a free promo?). Some of the stuff on it is really cool, like the orchestra on The Train Runs Over the Camel, the choir on How Will We Know?, the car crashes on March of the Rotten Vegetables, and the banjo on Big Ol' Bug.

Has anyone ever told you how awesome you are? If so, add me to the list. If not, shame on all of humanity.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

mia2000 posted:

Has anyone ever told you how awesome you are? If so, add me to the list. If not, shame on all of humanity.
Yeah this honestly doesn't get said enough. Thanks for posting that link to the Tripping Daisy song, I'm obsessed with them now. Any other suggestions for bands similar to them and the Lips?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Yeah this honestly doesn't get said enough. Thanks for posting that link to the Tripping Daisy song, I'm obsessed with them now. Any other suggestions for bands similar to them and the Lips?

That's awesome that you like them! It's really a shame that Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb is so overlooked. Tim really lit up when I asked him to sign my copy of it after the Spree show I went to earlier this year.

Mercury Rev, which is Jonathan Donahue and Dave Fridmann's band. I love their first four albums (especially the first two, with David Baker).

Super Furry Animals, who are basically the weird Welsh Flaming Lips. All of their albums are amazing.

Sunbears!, a local Florida band who I think are good, but copy the Lips way too much.

And I guess not really, but The Olivia Tremor Control.

And I'm sure it goes without saying, but Stardeath and White Dwarfs.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Also check out Steve Burns (yes, the Blues Clues guy). He's released two albums, Songs for Dustmites and Deep Sea Recovery Efforts, the first of which was produced by Dave Fridmann and both of which heavily feature Steven Drozd. He explores a similar sort of sparkly alternative rock as the Lips were around the turn of the millennium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiZPi-hEDtI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Mercury Rev, which is Jonathan Donahue and Dave Fridmann's band. I love their first four albums (especially the first two, with David Baker).

This, absolutely. My favorite is See You On the Other Side, the third album. They followed a pretty similar trajectory to the Lips; noisy fuzzy poppy and then orchestral complex pop. When Soft Bulletin came out, one of my chief criticisms of it was that the Rev had already been on that trip with Deserter's Songs.

quote:

Super Furry Animals, who are basically the weird Welsh Flaming Lips.

These guys too. Absolutely. And if you like them, I'd look into their even-weirder contemporaries, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci:

They started out recording as teenagers in a delightfully crazy style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TkoRZHuKxQ

...and evolved into a beautiful lush pop band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QZEHD0aU0

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

If anyone was interested in that new Yoshimi CD, Kliph just made a bunch of posts about how he put it together and the different mixes he used on that Lips board I run. Sorry for the spam, but I thought he gave some pretty interesting info.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Really cool of Kliph to come in and talk about that stuff. His reworked version of At War with the Mystics sounds interesting and I too hope it sees the light of day.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

I don't know anyone, except in this thread, that doesn't loving hate Wayne right now. All that nonsense with the loving groupie just proves he's been going through a mid life crisis. I wish Drozd would break off and do some solo poo poo.

e; guess I left the reply up forever because I quoted an old post. But whatever, point still stands. I'm glad Michelle left his rear end and didn't just 'stick it out'.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

RizieN posted:

I don't know anyone, except in this thread, that doesn't loving hate Wayne right now. All that nonsense with the loving groupie just proves he's been going through a mid life crisis. I wish Drozd would break off and do some solo poo poo.

e; guess I left the reply up forever because I quoted an old post. But whatever, point still stands. I'm glad Michelle left his rear end and didn't just 'stick it out'.
Can we drop this whole line of discussion until we figure out if they really did break up? So far the only source is that site that has an obsession with dragging his name through the mud using unnamed sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RizieN posted:

I don't know anyone, except in this thread, that doesn't loving hate Wayne right now.

Wayne is a Human Being. I've done things just as bad or worse than anything Wayne has allegedly done, and so have my best friends in the world. So has my wife. Etc.

Granted, most people, including myself, do that kind of stuff when they're young and stupid, but still.

So I haven't had a copy of Providing Needles For Your Balloons in a long time, but it's on Spotify! Everyone should listen to it. What a great EP. I love "Jets" to pieces and the Smog cover is aces. "Put the Waterbug in the Policeman's Ear" is also a classic.

• Locked thread