Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weirdojace posted:

This stream is great. I hope the released video contains the entire setlist, though.

For those interested, the setlist. Italicized songs are the ones left out.
Sweet Leaf
Worm Mountain
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Tubular Bells
The Ego's Last Stand
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Is David Bowie Dying??
Waitin for a Superman
Pompeii am Gotterdammerung
See the Leaves
Laser Hands
Drug Chart
What is the Light
The Observer
Do You Realize

Wow. I have little to no interest in more than a couple of those songs. That's depressing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
What?? That's an awesome setlist.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If I never heard Do You Realize? ever again I think I'd be fine with that.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

weirdojace posted:

The thing is it's virtually the same setlist they've been playing since 2009

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Hell, half the setlist is the same as from 2005.

weirdojace posted:

That's a matter of opinion. Some of the songs on it that I like (Superman, Do You Realize) are way played out. Pompeii is a great song, I guess. The rest are either mediocre or just bad (Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, seriously, gently caress that jam).

But it's not like this is a new feeling for me, I've been used to being in the minority opinion of Lips fans for 14 years now.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Well if you take the attitude of "the band shouldn't play their biggest hits at their shows, at all" then I think you're going to be in for massive disappointment, no matter what concert it is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

weirdojace posted:

Well if you take the attitude of "the band shouldn't play their biggest hits at their shows, at all" then I think you're going to be in for massive disappointment, no matter what concert it is.

They should play their hits, but they shouldn't play them to death and never mix in anything else. They have a huge back catalog. I love this band, but a group doing nothing but greatest hits shows forever is lame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weirdojace posted:

I'm not telling the band what to play or what not to play, I'm just saying I don't like their recent setlists.

Most bands I see don't play their "biggest hits" though, they tend to just play stuff off their last album or two. Like, Mogwai isn't still playing "Like Herod" and I am totally fine with that.

At least the Lips stopped playing "She Don't Use Jelly", I guess (and I say that as someone who loves that song).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

I'm not telling the band what to play or what not to play, I'm just saying I don't like their recent setlists.

Most bands I see don't play their "biggest hits" though, they tend to just play stuff off their last album or two. Like, Mogwai isn't still playing "Like Herod" and I am totally fine with that.

At least the Lips stopped playing "She Don't Use Jelly", I guess (and I say that as someone who loves that song).

Personally I'm pretty glad the Lips play as far back into their catalog as they do. Soft Bulletin to now is 13 years worth of music. It'd be cool if they dug deeper but it's better than if they only played the last album or two.

Surfingelectrode, does any sort of physical release or download exist for the Atlas Eets Christmas stuff? I've had it on literally all day except for when I had to run errands and I want to put it on my Ipod. Also, it's great that they added Christmas at the Zoo into the rotation, I don't remember hearing that last year.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
It would be nice if they threw old songs in the setlists regularly, but I'm still pretty happy with the setlists they do have. There's a lot of music in that time period and they swap things around. Every album since The Soft Bulletin tends to get represented.

The first time I saw the Lips in 2009, I saw them play Lightning Strikes the Postman and Mountain Side. It was really cool and it'd be interesting to see them dig more into those songs. Didn't they also play Be My Head and something from Clouds on the 24 hour tour? But clearly the reason they don't dig past The Soft Bulletin is that Wayne doesn't think those songs fit with their image, or that people are only there to hear newer stuff, or maybe he just straight up doesn't like any of that material...

No matter how far back into the catalog they go, I wouldn't bet on them cutting Do You Realize or The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song from the setlists anytime soon.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Epi Lepi posted:

Surfingelectrode, does any sort of physical release or download exist for the Atlas Eets Christmas stuff? I've had it on literally all day except for when I had to run errands and I want to put it on my Ipod. Also, it's great that they added Christmas at the Zoo into the rotation, I don't remember hearing that last year.

They sent out copies of a 'lost album' by Imagene Peise (backstory here) to friends for Christmas back in 2007, but it's extremely hard to find because not many copies were made. You can hear the whole album as well as the Imagene Peise songs that they've 'found' every Christmas for the past few years since here.

The rest of the stuff on the stream is from the Christmas on Mars soundtrack and other singles and b-sides.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Christmas on Mars soundtrack

You know, I really like that album, which seems to be another minority Lips fan opinion. Actually so does liking Christmas On Mars in general. I dunno, I like low budget weird sci-fi, and even as someone who got a postcard saying "Christmas on Mars is coming next year!" back in 2000 it still managed to more or less live up to my expectations.

Then again I take a lot of drugs, so.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

quote:

setlist chat

I recall hearing Drozd say in a recent interview that they were aware of the setlist gripes, and that they were planning to do smaller shows focused on older/rare material. I hope they follow up on that idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Convinced of the Hex" isn't old or rare, but they never seem to play it, which I don't understand at all. I love that song.

fake edit: I could say the same about 90% of Embryonic, of course. They've picked like 3 of the weaker songs from that album and nothing else, which is... weird. It seems to me like the move of a band who isn't convinced of their material's strength. Whether it's doing "She Don't Use Jelly" every show (which I think started as "we have to play this" and turned into "gently caress you, we will convince you this dumb pop hit we had is secretly one of our most brilliant jams") or doing "Superman" and "Do You Realize" every show when the band has done literally dozens of better songs since those.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

"Convinced of the Hex" isn't old or rare, but they never seem to play it, which I don't understand at all. I love that song.

fake edit: I could say the same about 90% of Embryonic, of course. They've picked like 3 of the weaker songs from that album and nothing else, which is... weird. It seems to me like the move of a band who isn't convinced of their material's strength. Whether it's doing "She Don't Use Jelly" every show (which I think started as "we have to play this" and turned into "gently caress you, we will convince you this dumb pop hit we had is secretly one of our most brilliant jams") or doing "Superman" and "Do You Realize" every show when the band has done literally dozens of better songs since those.

I think it falls back to the idea that most people buying the tickets are the same kind of people who think Wish You Were Here is, like, totally the best Pink Floyd song EVER!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

I think it falls back to the idea that most people buying the tickets are the same kind of people who think Wish You Were Here is, like, totally the best Pink Floyd song EVER!

Yep. And that makes me sad. I mean, I'm glad the Lips are so popular among concert-goers, but at the same time, gently caress that, Meddle is the best Floyd album.

t:mad:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

Yep. And that makes me sad. I mean, I'm glad the Lips are so popular among concert-goers, but at the same time, gently caress that, Meddle is the best Floyd album.

t:mad:

I'm not sure that I could ever pick a favorite Pink Floyd album, but I'm always annoyed that most people have no idea they recorded anything prior to Dark Side of the Moon. Especially because a lot of their best songs are from that period.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Now swap out "Pink Floyd" with "The Flaming Lips" and "Dark Side of the Moon" with "The Soft Bulletin" or "Yoshimi" and the statement remains entirely accurate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

I'm not sure that I could ever pick a favorite Pink Floyd album, but I'm always annoyed that most people have no idea they recorded anything prior to Dark Side of the Moon. Especially because a lot of their best songs are from that period.

Honestly, I don't even like DSotM very much and my response to the Lips covering it was :jerkbag:

Yes, even after I heard it. I just don't like it, no sir.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

Honestly, I don't even like DSotM very much and my response to the Lips covering it was :jerkbag:

Yes, even after I heard it. I just don't like it, no sir.

It probably just means you're a bad person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

It probably just means you're a bad person.

If it makes me a better person, I really like the King Crimson cover album. v:shobon:v

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Yeah I hated the DSotM cover album. Them having Henry Rollins on it was...stupid. And it's just a boring album.

And for the record I love DSotM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slackerish posted:

Yeah I hated the DSotM cover album. Them having Henry Rollins on it was...stupid. And it's just a boring album.

And for the record I love DSotM

I love her first album but having Peaches on the record was probably even dumber.

But you want really boring? Listen to Phish covering The White Album. I dare you. :suicide:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

If it makes me a better person, I really like the King Crimson cover album. v:shobon:v

Actually, I couldn't really get into King Crimson. I just don't like prog in general. I find it really loving grating.

precision posted:

I love her first album but having Peaches on the record was probably even dumber.

But you want really boring? Listen to Phish covering The White Album. I dare you. :suicide:

Oh god, Phish. gently caress Phish. I can't stand any of that hippie jam band poo poo either.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

HorseRenoir posted:

I recall hearing Drozd say in a recent interview that they were aware of the setlist gripes, and that they were planning to do smaller shows focused on older/rare material. I hope they follow up on that idea.

I don't know if it's a recent trend but a lot of the bands I really like who've been around a while have been doing album anniversary tours and shows lately and it'd be so sick if the Lips did something like that for Clouds or Transmissions.

I saw part of the Reflections tour the Cure did where they played the first 3 albums in their entirety last year and that was an amazing experience. I also went to the Dinosaur Jr You're Living All Over Me 25th Anniversary show at the beginning of the month, they played through the whole album and then played a bunch of their concert staples and had tons of guest performers from Sonic Youth and the Pixies and a bunch of other bands. As someone who was born in '89 and only started really going to shows 4 years ago these type of shows end up being the best way for me to see these older songs getting performed.

precision posted:

That song is mad good, they did play it a couple times. I think they played it both times I saw them in 2010 along with Worm Mountain and Silver Trembling Hands, which are probably my two favorite tracks off Embryonic.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The Dark Side of the Moon cover album started off good, but I felt like they got midway through it and lost all their steam. Like by the time they got to "Money" they were like, "ok, we're tired now, just throw something together really quickly." The cover version of "Us and Them" is especially boring...

Meh, I'd rather hear them cover Echoes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

weirdojace posted:

Meh, I'd rather hear them cover Echoes.

That's such an interesting idea because it would go one of two ways, awesome or completely and embarrassingly terrible. Nowhere inbetween.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's the new Imagene Peise song, which is a really beautiful original by Steven:

http://youtu.be/qTbbgPh9khg

The Ashes in the Air music video should also be coming out tomorrow.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 25, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Wayne posted on Instagram earlier that they're going to release Zaireeka as a 4LP set on vinyl for Record Store Day this year.

So, yeah. Why not?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That sounds like a horrible idea.

I'm so gonna buy it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I guess I'm buying it too... but I don't know why.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know drat well that poo poo is going to be like 80 dollars.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I might still get it... yeah I might.

I still don't know why

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll buy it for the sole purpose of re-selling it later cause you know that poo poo's gonna skyrocket in price. Flaming Lips fans are almost at the level of Mountain Goats fans as far as "buying All The Records".

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Wayne posted on Instagram earlier that they're going to release Zaireeka as a 4LP set on vinyl for Record Store Day this year.

So, yeah. Why not?

God damnit. I want it but will have no means of playing four separate LP's at the same time. Curse you!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pookdaddy G posted:

God damnit. I want it but will have no means of playing four separate LP's at the same time. Curse you!

You could always just buy four cheap yard-sale record players.

Fortunately I know about ten billion people with record players so it shouldn't be an issue, aside from trying to figure out if I even still have three friends that care about the Flaming Lips. Even my wife is incredibly "meh" on them.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Pookdaddy G posted:

Or you could be really clever and use a mix of records and CDs. Also here's the :nws: new artwork :nws: .

Here's the gatefold for The Terror, which looks awesome:

And it looks like there's going to be yet another gimmicky candy release for Valentine's Day, but at least this one should be coming with music. Still not too thrilled about the Lips turning into KISS, though.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Has there been a release date confirmed for The Terror yet?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Or you could be really clever and use a mix of records and CDs. Also here's the :nws: new artwork :nws: .

Here's the gatefold for The Terror, which looks awesome:

And it looks like there's going to be yet another gimmicky candy release for Valentine's Day, but at least this one should be coming with music. Still not too thrilled about the Lips turning into KISS, though.

Any word on when they plan on releasing the loving thing?

Also, Micheal looks weird with no glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

Any word on when they plan on releasing the loving thing?

Also, Micheal looks weird with no glasses.

I didn't even recognize him at first. I was like "Wait, did he quit the band? What did I miss?"

Also Drozd looks more burnt out than J Spaceman, which is pretty :stare: worthy, because near as I can tell J has done more drugs by a decent margin and has technically died twice.

Wayne just looks depressed as gently caress. :(

• Locked thread