Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WASDF posted:

Jesus christ this cover of 21st Century Schizoid man...

Not sure if we heard the same thing (I found a live version just by searching it on youtube), but I found it kind of underwhelming. Kind of a neutered, generic version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Also really don't like the lady's voice or inflection. Hopefully the album version will be much better because they can do such better things with that jam out part in the middle of the song than just thrashing some guitars together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

You can hear actual album version (and the rest of the songs) here.

I like the whole thing a lot. It's a fun album.

Ok see this is a lot better. I don't know what was with the live version I heard.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epi Lepi posted:

Ask him about Pink Floyd's The Wall if you wanna hear some of his other vitriolic opinions on music.

I know this post is like two weeks old but I was just catching up on the thread, can you elaborate on this? Don't have twitter and I'm kind of curious if his opinion is the same as mine on that album.

Also on the "think Foo Fighters are mediocre at best" side.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As someone who's just recently gotten into the Flaming Lips these stories about Wayne make me kind of sad. It sounds like the fame is finally getting to him and he's becoming a bit of a monster. I hope that's not true...

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As I said in an earlier post, I'm still pretty new to this band and am a little surprised for all the love for the pre-Soft Bulletin stuff. I know their sound was totally different back then, but I figured since the band has mostly abandoned that material the newer space rock/psychadelic stuff was what everyone cared about.

I'm glad though, I was planning on buying a couple more Lips albums with my next paycheck. I only currently have Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, but I've listened to bits and pieces of most of their stuff from Transmissions from the Satellite Heart on. I want to get that one, and I'm kind of leaning towards Clouds Taste Metallic but would any of you have any suggestions for another instead, perhaps something post-Yoshimi?

Not going to lie, I haven't been all that impressed with what I've heard from At War with the Mystics, but I wouldn't turn it away.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alright thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably get Embryonic and the two I mentioned and work my way through their catalog from there.

I can see how Yoshimi can be considered weak, but I personally I find the sequence of "Ego Tripping", "Hypnotist", and "It's Summertime" to be a pretty powerful streak of songs.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

The Freak Night concert movie is going to start streaming here at midnight EST either tonight or tomorrow (I can't tell?). Here's a video Wayne made about it.

Because he's a robot.

Think it's tomorrow night, since he's talking about Saturday morning (although I guess that could mean for people in Australia? I dunno).

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The rear end Stooge posted:

Has there been a release date confirmed for The Terror yet?

Wikipedia says this month, but I'm not finding much besides that outside of articles written in like August.

I recently got into their later, Embryonic and later stuff after being introduced to Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi earlier this year and HOLY poo poo it's amazing. Embryonic was mindblowing on my first listen from beginning to end. From what I've read on the Terror they're continuing in the same trend of Embryonic and Heady Fwends, so count me in as someone who's buying this as soon as it comes out.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is awesome news. Seeing updates in this thread and remembering hearing that the album was supposed to come out this month made me think it may have been released today, but I will definitely take news of a release date instead.

hughesta posted:

Embryonic is an absolute monster of an album. Give it a few more tries!

Also this. A thousand times this. It's an album I'm always afraid to listen to again because my first run through was so good.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really like that song and if it's any indication of what the new album will be like it's going to be pretty awesome.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The rear end Stooge posted:

I'm not sold on the new song. Maybe it's just the place where I am in my life right now, but its happiness feels really affected and contrived, and it's hard for me to take seriously. Part of the reason I enjoyed Embryonic so much was its bleak, oppressive feel, and it's no coincidence that my favorite songs from Heady Fwends were the darker ones like "Ashes in the Air," "Is David Bowie Dying," and "I'm Working at NASA on Acid." I'm glad that the new album is supposedly going to take a more menacing turn, since that's what I really want to hear out of the band right now.

Am I the only one who kind of finds it...ironically cheerful? The lyrics seem to be about the end of the world and having a good time with the time you have left. I mean, I guess that's still cheerful, but in a more somber way. Especially with the "run and run" chant just turning into "run". It gives off an apocalyptic feel in the same vein of the Kesha song. Maybe I'm thinking too much about a song I just heard today.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Holy poo poo I just now noticed the line "So embryonic it's all right" in "Moth in the Incubator". drat it, I need to listen to my old records more.

Yeah I picked up on that a couple of listens in. Kind of made me wonder. This thread has convinced me yet again to get another lips album. I'll have to get Hit to Death in the Future Head for sure

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I'm guessing you really hate the 6 and 24 hour songs? :v:

(drat, Elf Power's cover of "Felt Good To Burn" :iia: )

Is the 6 hour song worth listening to?

Because I think I could do this.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

I'm hoping that The Terror does live up to expectations because it's going to be funny when people who pretty much only like Yoshimi or whatever start bitching.

I feel like this would have happened with Embryonic as well.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I saw it when it was posted here last week, it was kind of just your average silly car commercial with kids. I didn't see it live tonight but my brother texted me saying he saw the Lips in a commercial, so that was kind of neat.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

It's going to be more of a "Wayne Coyne and Friends" thing, like the King Crimson one was. I don't really see the point, but hey, why not?

And here's another interview about the album with Steven. I can't wait to finally hear it, everything I've heard about it sounds great.

Drozd looks refreshingly not like a heroin addict in that photo.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

leica posted:

The Smithereens did the Who's Tommy and it's pretty horrible.

I don't see the point, just like the Lip's cover of DSOTM, if you're a fan of the album any cover is going to sound like poo poo in comparison. It might sound good if you never really listened to the album before, but if you know it very well it's sacrilegious to even think some other band could do a better job. To me Tommy and DSOTM are masterpieces and should NOT be recorded by anyone other than the people that created it. Just my opinion.

[edit] and although not an album, Green Day covered the Who's "mini opera" A Quick One and it's poo poo also. gently caress Green Day.

I think the covers of Breathe and Great Gig in the Sky were pretty good. Admittedly I haven't heard the whole thing, and I've heard it gets worse as it goes on, but I was a huge Pink Floyd fan forever and still love DSOTM and I didn't mind their covering it.

Their cover of I am the Walrus was pretty bland, though.

e: I guess whenever I listen to modern Flaming Lips I expect some kind of crazy, Embryonic-style jam to take place in the middle of it and kind of get disappointed when it doesn't happen. That was definitely the case with both I am the Walrus and the parts of the King Crimson album I heard.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 8, 2013

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think it's a guy who backslid into hard drug abuse being grouchy and that people are letting the "Wayne is losing it!" narrative color their interpretation of events. At any rate, trying to affect more outrage than Drozd seems to feel over the deal is a little much.

Yeah, I agree. We're just speculating. Besides, Wayne's exploited Drozd's drug problems for songs before. This isn't really new.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

leica posted:

And for the record I don't think Wayne is losing it, I just think he's being an inconsiderate dick.

This thread seems to like to bring up Wayne being a total dick lately. Outside of the grenade incident and this situation that is at the moment no more than mere speculation, what other things has he done?

e:

precision posted:

Also, I don't think Steven shooting up on camera was done with any conscious knowledge it would eventually be in the documentary, especially since I believe at that point nobody even knew the footage was going to become one. Bradley for a long time was just filming everything the Lips did, the idea of making it a docu didn't come along for awhile. Again, that's going off my memory of what they've said, anyway.

Also Steven was pretty hosed up at the time and I doubt any of his decisions had much thought behind them, surely not "I bet doing this on camera will eventually somehow make me money". If I'm remembering the scene right he even seems to think nobody would ever see it.

What I got from that whole thing was that he realized how hosed up he actually was on heroin, and that filming him shooting up was to provide physical evidence of how lovely heroin addiction can be, not to be all "lol guys drugs are cool watch this poo poo". That was just my own personal take on it though.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 11, 2013

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Artists are normal people. There are plenty of examples of normal artists and weird artists. I don't think there's really any connection between Michael Jackson the musician and Michael Jackson the kid-fucker.

I'm a firm believer that drugs can help though. Ask Stephen King

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

The only thing good about Stephen King is that people took some of his books and made them into way better movies.

Ok you've had some provocative opinions before but now you are just trolling.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

Considering that one such film was made by one of the greatest directors who ever lived I don't see why this would be controversial.

You're talking about the Shining, and personally I would say that both are great in their own rights. Outside of that you have a made for TV movie that's only good thing is Tim Curry's Pennywise, a vastly overrated Shawshank Redemption, and then a pile of flaming poo poo.

Also I can understand defending Appetite for Destruction-era Guns and Roses but Motley Crue sucks poo poo.

For content, I listened to the 6 hour song the other day, the whole thing, and found it to be a nice experience.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

Everyone forgets how good Misery is. The IT "movie" is a steaming pile of poo poo. The Mist is surprisingly great (make sure you watch the black and white version), Carrie is another classic, The Green Mile was really good. There's probably others I'm forgetting. And yes there are plenty more that are total stinkers. But anyway, I find his books unreadable.

Ok, point taken. I didn't think the Mist was that hot, but I was also thinking IT, The Running Man, The Lawnmower Man, The Langoliers, The Tommyknockers, the Dead Zone, the television version of the Shining, ad nauseum. His books aren't literary masterpieces, but they are easy to read page turners that are fun. If you don't like even his good works, then I respect that.

And my point was most of his better stuff came while he was constantly strung out on drugs. After he kicked the habit his books have been really hit and miss, with more misses than hits honestly.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is Bon Jovi a glam band?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm doing some work on a paper and listening to the first part of the 24 hour song as background noise, and I'm close to turning it off because it's so depressing. If this is what anything like what the new album will be like, it's going to be a tough listen emotionally.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The stuff I've heard about the leaked album sounds good, but I'm going to wait til it comes out. If it sounds "worse" than Embryonic than I am awesomely excited.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's a pretty in-depth interview with Wayne that goes into his drug use and the separation with Michelle, if anyone was wondering about that. It's a weird read.

Is "Drugs" a legitimate nick name for Drozd? If not then that's kind of mean.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Allen Wren posted:

I think it's in the sidebar, the article refers to him as "Steven "Drugs" Drozd" at one point.

e: Yeah, in the mini-review of Transmissions.

Yeah, hence why I quoted the article. Sorry for the indefinite post!

That article had me kind of feeling for Wayne a bit. I think his separation with his wife is effecting him more than he's letting on.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

'Look... The Sun is Rising' is on this week's All Songs Considered.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/03/05/173417418/this-weeks-mix-new-flaming-lips-surfer-blood-sufjan-stevens-more

The whole record will be streaming on NPR starting on March 18.

Also, 7 Skies H3 is a pretty incredible piece of music and worth listening to all 24 hours of. Just like the six hour song, you aren't supposed to be actively listening to it the whole time, though. I think someone (maybe Kliph or Wayne?) said that you're basically supposed to sleep through the seven hour Metamorphosis section.

That was my first exposure to the new album in any form and that song kicks rear end. So looking forward to the release.

Also, I tried to listen to 7 Skies H3, just as background music as I did other things and just couldn't get through it. Maybe it was the enormity of it all. Also it seems like from the little bits and pieces of interviews I'll read that the 24 hour song got too be a little too much to chew from the band after a pretty good job on the 6 hour song. You can even look at those song explanations on Youtube. The 6 hour song's explanation is actually pretty in depth, while the 24 hour song, where the explanation is ironically half as long, is more "eh...it's sad, and there's this part in the middle that basically goes on for seven hours with no change".

Not saying it's a bad song in its own right, but it doesn't seem worth it to me. The 6 hour song was a pretty fun listen, though, and I'll go back to certain parts of it when I'm in the mood.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's a recording of last night's Yoshimi show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dF-S_dA2o

People can justifiably hate on Yoshimi all they want but goddam I love Are You a Hypnotist??. That's the song that got me into the Lips.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hello, my name is crankdatbatman, and I really, really like Heady Fwends.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

It's a got a few nice songs (most of which were old), but also a bunch of unmemorable stuff and two songs that I'd rank as being their worst ever.

Please elaborate. I love 2012, and the stretch between Supermoon Made Me want to Pee to Do It is absolutely awesome. If you say one of the songs between those two is "one of the worst ever" then I will have to agree to disagree. I originally wasn't a fan of First Time I Saw Your Face or Is David Bowie Dying?, but I've gotten to like those as well after a few listens. Overall it's a pretty solid album, but what do I know?

e: if I'm Working at NASA on Acid is one of these songs you speak of I quit.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I haven't listened to much of Mystics, mostly because I wasn't impressed with Mr. Ambulance Driver and the Yeah Yeah Yeah song, plus the political vibes kind of turn me off a bit. Maybe I'll give it a listen sometime soon.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

I guess they had to reupload it. Here's the right link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u956sRK5bxI

What did I just watch

I always get excited about new Flaming Lips videos when they come out. This one doesn't disappoint either.

Still really excited about the new album, but that The Terror medley that I don't think was posted here was kind of disappointing in my opinion. Granted it's like...20 seconds of each song but they managed to somehow make every song sound the exact same (being a medley, maybe that was the point). Plus the fact that it seemed to focus on when the band sings the title of the song...I don't know, just not the best thing I've ever heard.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
No one's made a comment on Drozd's moustache in that Letterman link? Shameful.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

rear end Catchcum posted:

I just got really into Embryonic after giving it a few relistens. Realized from reading the Wiki that I am missing some bonus tracks. Are they only available through iTunes? What are the total non album tracks from that album?

Funny you should post this, I listened to Embryonic the whole way through for the first time in an unsober state before Christmas last year and it blew my mind and changed how I felt about the Lips--going from mostly a Yoshimi/Soft Bulletin fan to eating up the rest of their catalog. I hadn't really listened to it on the whole outside of See the Leaves and Watching the Planets after that but have given it a few sober listens recently and it's an amazing album. I guess it's weird I'm gushing over one of their latest releases when the new album is in the process of coming out.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 8, 2013

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I avoided the leak, but broke down and listened to the live version from SXSW and thought it was amazing. Hoping the studio version incorporates at least some of the effects that made that such a good listen.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

I forgot to mention it earlier, but it looks like the US digital versions of "The Terror" will be kind of botched... all of the individual tracks are edited to remove the transitions and codas, which means the album is about 10 minutes shorter. They come with the full album as one long 55-minute track, so I guess the idea is that the individual tracks are for shuffling and playlists. Kinda dumb, I think.

Kind of an old post, but when I purchase this on iTunes, will I be able to get both versions, the butchered one and the single track? I'd rather have the single track version honestly, since I usually listen to albums like this from beginning to end anyway. I'm going to be really pissed if I have to bend over backwards or settle with the butchered stuff.

This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back and makes me finally start purchasing vinyl, but dammit I can't bring that stuff to work with me to listen to on headphones.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

You could just buy the CD and rip it to your computer.

I haven't done that in years but when I used to do it the quality always came off as really crappy. Again haven't done it in years so maybe the technology has gotten better or maybe I just sucked at ripping CDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I finally bought and listened to the new album today and am in love with it. I have to say on first listen my favorite tracks were Butterfly, Turning Violent, and Always There in Our Hearts. The whole thing is gorgeous though. Will have to give it some time but this ranks up there with my favorite Lips albums.

• Locked thread