Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

crankdatbatman posted:

As I said in an earlier post, I'm still pretty new to this band and am a little surprised for all the love for the pre-Soft Bulletin stuff. I know their sound was totally different back then, but I figured since the band has mostly abandoned that material the newer space rock/psychadelic stuff was what everyone cared about.

I'm glad though, I was planning on buying a couple more Lips albums with my next paycheck. I only currently have Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, but I've listened to bits and pieces of most of their stuff from Transmissions from the Satellite Heart on. I want to get that one, and I'm kind of leaning towards Clouds Taste Metallic but would any of you have any suggestions for another instead, perhaps something post-Yoshimi?

Not going to lie, I haven't been all that impressed with what I've heard from At War with the Mystics, but I wouldn't turn it away.
Personally, I'd get Embryonic. People give it some flak because it's pretty sprawling and out there but it's one of my personal favorite albums. You should definitely give it a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

quote:

setlist chat

I recall hearing Drozd say in a recent interview that they were aware of the setlist gripes, and that they were planning to do smaller shows focused on older/rare material. I hope they follow up on that idea.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Slackerish posted:

Sun Blows Up Today was never supposed to be an "indication" and isn't even an official track on the album
In a weird sort of way, I think Sun Blows Up Today was a very good indication of what the album would be like. It's very droney and jammy, and has a very electronic, dense sound. The only difference is that The Terror uses those techniques to create a completely different, darker atmosphere.

(As an aside, this album is fantastic. Quickly becoming by favorite Lips album, might even be Album of the Year for me.)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Surfingelectrode posted:

Also, that 'We Don't Control the Controls' bonus track on the iTunes and vinyl releases is a mashup remix of the entire album by Dan Deacon.
Holy poo poo, awesome! Dan's recent mashup tape was awesome and I'm glad to see that he's doing more.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

Because this is what major label prestige acts releasing collector's market artifacts do! (see Young, Neil)

On that note: did the Lips actually resign with Warner at some point in the last ten years or are they just tied in to a lousy early 90s contract where WB are guaranteed twenty LPs?
I think they resigned around 2011 or so.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

leica posted:

The new EP reminds me of Zaireeka, good poo poo.

So are any of those songs going to actually be in the movie, or just on the soundtrack?

Just the title track, I think.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I thought this was going to be the cover, but https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/peace-sword-ep/id731741855?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 shows it having the crap movie poster. I'm kinda bummed. You think this will be on the physical format?
Apparently, the good cover is only on the physical version, along with the last track.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

WASDF posted:

Uh.... I'm worried. 7 Skies H3 is rumored to be getting a vinyl release for Record Store Day.

30 LP boxset?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Wayne Coyne is a loving psychopath.

I've heard stories of Wayne being a dick for a while now, but I think this goes beyond a midlife crisis or simply being an rear end in a top hat. This guy needs help and I hope this story is the thing that pulls him out of his own rear end in a top hat.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Organs posted:

Same here, especially after Wayne was being an rear end in a top hat about Steven's past prior to the release of The Terror. It would have been nice if this had all ended with the band kicking Wayne out instead, or everybody quitting and starting something new.

Apparently Wayne controls the band's paychecks; he probably has the rest of the band on a tight leash.

This whole situation is really depressing. It feels like Wayne has some serious mental/emotional issues going on, and he's too powerful for anyone to stage an intervention.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Eh, I'm still not that worried about the band's output. They've been doing gimmicky collaborations and cover albums for years now, but I think their core output (Embryonic, The Terror, Peace Sword) has been really consistently great.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Surprised no one posted this, from the Slow Nerve Action forums:

quote:

I've now talked to several people in the Lips inner circle and ALL of them have said that Kliph's firing was more to do with his attitude towards everything the Lips have been doing the last few years. He didn't like any of the collaborations and basically didn't participate, and he didn't like playing festivals. As one of them said, "He wants to be playing in clubs with bands like Deerhoof, not arena shows with the Black Keys."
Also, one of them told me that the band is very happy with where they are at the moment and having more fun than they've had in a while. So at least from their side it sounds like they're moving forward.

While it still sucks that Kliph is gone, I guess I'm glad to hear that the Lips haven't turned into a dysfunctional Wayne-led dictatorship.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 23, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I find the Miley hate to be pretty dumb and reactionary. Her voice sounds fine, the song she did with them sounded fine, the only reason why this is an issue is because of her public image.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why the gently caress is there going to be a Big Sean feature on a Flaming Lips album

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Miley/Lips album is streaming now: http://mileycyrus.com/andherdeadpetz

e: Only a few tracks into this but I'm liking this way more than I thought I would. It basically sounds like a new Lips album with Miley's vocals on it.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 31, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Haha, track 11 is Miley singing over 7 Skies H3 and it's really good

e: Just finished the album and this is pretty amazing. Didn't think Miley had an album like this in her.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 31, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Anaranjado posted:

Sweet lord in heaven you guys sure are pissed about a band that still makes really good music. Jesus

I wonder if the people in this thread realize that you don't have to consume/care about literally everything the Lips put out. I don't listen to any of the side projects, gimmick releases, or follow Wayne's social media and I'm perfectly fine with that. As long as they give me a collection of songs I like every other year or so, I couldn't give a poo poo about whatever crazy antics they do the other 90% of the time.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

That's too bad because a lot of their side projects and collaborations with other bands are some of the best music they've made in the past 5 years.
Everything from 2011-2012 was pretty cool and I'm sad they didn't stick with that metallic psychedelic sound.

Of course I've listened to (and loved) a lot of the 2011-2012 stuff, I'm just saying that I don't really feel obligated to hear any of the cover albums or limited gimmick releases.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

leica posted:

That collection of songs is getting smaller and smaller every year though. If Wayne put most of his time and energy towards actually making music maybe that wouldn't be the case. But hey, naked concerts with gummy genitals wooooo!

A lot of my favorite bands take 3-4 year breaks in between albums. Getting any amount of good music from a band on a yearly basis is perfectly fine for me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo, was it really that long ago?

In all fairness, wasn't it 4 years in between Embryonic and The Terror?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I like it, but it feels more like an album deep cut than a lead single

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The lyrics are kinda cringe but I don't really mind them as much in the context of the song. The song has this aura of resigned desperation that I dig, like a dreamier version of The Terror

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Still need to give the album a few more listens but I think it's pretty decent. Nowhere near my favorite of theirs, but nowhere near the disaster people were claiming it would be.

Really surprised at how much of a natural extension this album is from The Terror and 7 Skies H3; I actually think it's just as bleak and depressing as The Terror but in a slightly more melodic way. My main complaint is that the album feels overly long and some of Wayne's songwriting is really subpar. I dig most of it though; it's a pleasant atmospheric listen and I respect what they were going for creatively even if I'm more of a fan of the Lips' noisier side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The album's not terrible, it's just kind of sleepy and underwritten and it's not really the type of music I listen to Flaming Lips for

• Locked thread