Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Epi Lepi posted:

Because Dave Grohl is terrible. That's about all there is to it.

Want to elaborate on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WTFing at that grenade nonsense. Wayne's shtick is getting really old.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I have always looked at Yoshimi as a lesser Soft Bulletin that just so happened to have Do You Realize? on it which was, you know, a hit.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Wayne will seemingly do anything for attention and it's annoying as all gently caress. Playing up Steven's problems is tactless.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The internet slapfight with Erykah Badu comes to mind.

In that Amanda Palmer video her directed there's a line where somebody calls her Erykah Badon't.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Kalos posted:

Isn't also "he was on a lot of drugs at the time" the go-to excuse for the worst elements of his worst books?

No. Most folks regard his earlier stuff as being his best stuff and the only books I've heard long-time fans rip on were books 5-7 of the Dark Tower series and he was clean as hell when he wrote those (I liked them all).

Not that that has anything to do with the Flaming Lips though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

i hope whenever the lips tour on a big scale again for this album, it's not big venues. If it's a huge festival thing it's pretty much gonna be infested with Yoshimi and I am honest-to-god bored to tears of that album.

The Lips apparently have a compulsion to play absolutely every single loving festival every single loving year.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

If a band is "cool" enough then a major label will sometimes have them on their roster just for status. I mean poo poo, we live in a world where Sonic Youth was on a major label for decades.

edit; then again, Sonic Youth weren't releasing poo poo like Zaireeka on vinyl or publicly flirting with releasing a life sized gummi Wayne Coyne with a hard drive full of their enitire catalog for its heart

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

Yes, but its never a secret.

Not really, Joey and Johnny Ramone hated each others' guts from the early 80s until Joey's death and the fans never heard a word about it until after Joey's passing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Drozd also worked on Jay Farrar's solo debut LP Sebastopol. Farrar was in Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt so his stuff is fairly twangy and country-ish at times. I remember being really excited when this record came out because I was a huge fan of both of those bands and had recently been turned on to The Soft Bulletin.

Here's a track from that record.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

There seems to be more than the usual amount of drama surrounding the Lips over these last few years and the one common thread is always Wayne.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Creepy old gross man.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

If that's happening at multiple shows then why don't they just stop with the strobe lights jesus christ

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Before there are any more replies, I just made that poo poo up. I just wanted to see if people would believe me if I said the dumbest poo poo and sourced it to a Wayne Coyne rolling stone interview.

Congratulations?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Fugazi had a second drummer with them on tour (and on their final album) and it totally made a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNy7QZQ1GI8

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I genuinely feel that Soft Bulletin is their high water mark.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It's all just an excuse for creepy old man Coyne to direct a video that'll be nothing but slow motion footage of a naked Miley Cyrus covered in blood or glitter or goo or something. It will be so artistic, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone tell me why the Lips are now just Miley's backing band :cripes:

Wayne is a creepy old man and Miley Cyrus wants cred.

• Locked thread