Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surfingelectrode posted:

And here's the pilot for Wayne and Michelle's reality show, which is just loving awful.

Yeah, uhh, this really didn't need to be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love that album art too. Reminds me of their older albums.

Hopefully this one's better than Embryonic, because I could never get into that album at all and it's been several years since Mystics came out (an album I absolutely love). Maybe I should give Embryonic another chance, though. I did love Heady Fwends after all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is loving beautiful :swoon: I can totally see this being in commercial after commercial. It feels like a poppier Lips song mixed with a punkier Lips song from the 90s.

Now I'm really excited for the album!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is weird. Sun Blows Up Today is not a good indication of what the album feels like as a whole. It's really the only single-quality song on here.

The album is good, but it's not very easily accessible. It's a trippy, noisy experience that I feel would only really be good when listened to as a whole. This isn't one I'll be picking songs out of as favorites. I don't think I could listen to any of these songs on their own, with the exception of Sun Blows Up Today. The rest of em feel like they'd only work in the context of the whole album.

I like it, but I don't know how often I could see myself listening to the whole album to get the full experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slackerish posted:

Sun Blows Up Today was never supposed to be an "indication" and isn't even an official track on the album

Ah, I didn't know. That makes more sense. It almost seemed like it was from a different record entirely after the rest of the album came before it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kwarn posted:

Loving this sonic hellscape

Parts of it really do sound like they were made in hell :ohdear: I was thinking that when I first listened to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Epi Lepi posted:

Finally got to listen through this. Wayne's voice can't really handle these songs anymore but the arrangements of all the songs were loving great. gently caress the haters, Do You Realize is still beautiful. I hope a couple of these songs are still in the setlist when they come back to NYC.

Watching it now and I feel pretty much the same way. Also, Wayne says early on that they're going to try to get through as much of Yoshimi as they can in their allotted time, but then he goes on to ramble for several minutes, time which could have been better spent, you know, playing another song off the album :ughh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surfingelectrode posted:

I guess they had to reupload it. Here's the right link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u956sRK5bxI

What did I just watch

Oh Flaming Lips, never change :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's the Lips playing 'Look... The Sun Is Rising' on Letterman tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng-9vMA1moY

That fuckin' stage setup :stare:

WASDF posted:

Man, love that guitar they added; Wayne's scream is real good too. Wonder what the audience thought of it.

Yeah, same. I don't know what Letterman's studio audiences are typically like, but my dad is a big Letterman fan (that's the only late night show he'll watch and he's been that way for years and years) and I can't see my dad enjoying that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Download foobar2000 (free). Download lame_enc.dll (free). Insert CD. Go to Rip menu. Move the slider in the audio quality settings to v0. Bam, you're done, and you have a great quality mp3.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm pretty meh on the Lips right now. Their setlists have gotten really stale (again) and I'm really bummed/disappointed about them doing music for the Ender's Game movie.
:psyboom:

Well now I have to see that movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Peace Sword is the one that absolutely loving floored me from the get go. That one is amazing. Felt like classic Lips for sure. The rest are good, but I wouldn't say they're better than the stuff from The Terror. Though Assassin Beetle is definitely the runner up after Peace Sword. That one's pretty terrifying and I like it a lot. That one actually might be better than some of the stuff from The Terror.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

What I think needs to happen is the movie needs to be scrapped and they need to let Wayne direct it.
:stare:

I would buy all of the tickets to this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Someone loving tell me it's April 1st! :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Wayne, you troll you :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Ender's Game this morning (it actually wasn't bad!), and Peace Sword plays during the end credits, if any of you were interested in whether or not these songs appear in the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whatever happened to Steve N Steven, that project Steven had going with Steve from Blues Clues? I remember listening to a few of their songs online a few years ago and them sounding really promising, but then I don't think I ever heard about them releasing an album (or even an EP) or going on tour or anything :confused:

Was that just something they were doing for fun a while back?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Apparently they recorded a cover of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds while they were docking around at rehearsals for the New Year show. It's real neat. https://soundcloud.com/theflaminglips/lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds
gently caress yeah, this is awesome because they made it their own. Their Dark Side of the Moon cover album really didn't work that well. It's been a while since I heard it, but IIRC it just wasn't Lips-y enough and didn't sound all that different from the source material and wasn't as interesting as the original. This sounds like if The Beatles hadn't already made it before them, it's something they might have come up with themselves.

But then again, if there had been no Beatles, would there even be a Lips? Maybe, maybe not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Are you sure you heard their Dark Side of the Moon album? It had the Flaming Lips stamped all over it and in some places bare resembled the original.
Eh, maybe I'd have to listen to it again. When did it come out? A couple years ago, right? I heard it once or twice whenever it first came out and it didn't grab me enough to make me ever want to listen to it again. I'd always just rather listen to the original.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I'd probably feel the same way had I not listened to the original version 900 times already.
I was sort of a late bloomer in regards to Dark Side of the Moon. For a lot of people born after a certain date, it's their introduction to rock music or whatever. For me, I listened to it like 10 years ago and couldn't get into it. I didn't think it was bad, just didn't see why everyone thought it was such a great album. Then I listened to it again a few years ago and it clicked for me. It's not like I've listened to it 100 times or probably even 50, but I appreciate it a lot more now than I once did. When I heard the Lips were covering the whole thing, admittedly I got pretty excited. Then I heard it and it felt like a chore to get through. Haven't listened to their version since.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Last night the Lips along with Sean Lennon played Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds on Letterman as part of Beatles Week and it loving ruled. It looks and sounds so extravagant and psychedelic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha WHAT :psyboom:

Don't a lot of parents take their kids to see her shows? That must have been weird. Although it would've been a lot weirder if they'd done You Lust or Jesus Shootin' Heroin or something. I guess Yoshimi's a nice crowd-friendly acoustic jam. And even more surprising than this existing in the first place is that their vocal harmony actually sounded pretty good most of the time and she remembered every word.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean I usually call it Yoshimi Part 1 because the first time I ever heard it (and a lot of times after that too) was in the context of the album as a whole with part 2 coming after it, but I would guess that a lot of more casual Lips fans have never heard part 2 and just think that's all there is. Plus Part 2 doesn't have any lyrics so they can't sing along with that one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slackerish posted:

Do you live under a rock or are you really not aware that Miley's "kid friendly" image has been tarnished by her own volition since ~2012?
Well I know that, but the fact remains that a ton of kids still listen to her and I've heard reports of parents taking their kids to see her, even now in the year 2014.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I can't help but admire someone who has the audacity to wear an over sized t-shirt with their own face plastered on both sides of it.
Yeah it was pretty mesmerizing watching that video and her back being turned to me through most of it but her giant face still staring at me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

She's such a loving rebel. Is she even old enough to remember when Clinton was president?
She's 2 years younger than me, so probably, but barely.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ticket the other day to see the Lips for the first time at Buku Fest on the 22nd :D They've come through here like 3 or 4 times in the last several years, and for one reason or another, I've missed every one of those shows. So now I'm finally rectifying my mistakes and going to see them. I'm hoping the set is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw the Lips live for the first time tonight and I'm pretty sure my head exploded multiple times. It was a short set since it was a festival and they weren't headlining (only like an hour and 15 minutes, which meant an hour since Wayne talked a bunch) but still pretty incredible. They opened with Look...The Sun Is Rising and played Yoshimi Part 1, Race For The Prize (slow then fast), Do You Realize, The WAND, A Spoonful Weighs A Ton, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (which was a real treat), and a couple others.

There was a mass of LED light strips on stage that changed colors really quickly and Wayne was singing from a metal podium that rose out of the tangled light strips. And he was wearing this glittery cape and later he donned this like balloon bodysuit thing that made him look a metal version of the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. It was very weird but weird is what I was expecting so it delivered and I was real happy about that.

If it had been a longer set, it probably would've been in my top few live acts that I've ever seen. Still, I'm very glad I got to see them finally. It was worth the wait.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

Is Wayne still doing the thing with the suit being all attached to stuff and he carries a doll on his arms?

Does that make sense?
I don't recall seeing a doll but there probably was one, and yeah, it sure seemed like he was attached to stuff on stage. I was near the front but stage left so there may have been some stuff on the other side of the stage that I missed.

Also now that I think about it, I don't think I saw Wayne hold an instrument at any point. Doesn't he usually play guitar on at least a few songs?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So apparently the Lips announced that they weren't done with the Dark Side Of The Moon thing after all and that they're releasing a companion album meant to be played at the same time as DSOTM, entitled Flaming Side Of The Moon.

quote:

For ideal listening conditions, fans are encouraged to seek out the original Alan Parsons’ engineered quadraphonic LP mix of Dark Side, but it will work with the album on any format
And the quadraphonic mix is only available in the $150 DSOTM box set.

Furthermore, Flaming Side Of The Moon

quote:

was also carefully crafted to sync up perfectly with the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz.
They said it's available now at all participating digital retailers and there's going to be a vinyl pressing of only 100 copies to be distributed to friends and family of the band.

It's most likely an April Fool's joke :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Creature posted:

It's streaming on Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/theflaminglipsofficial/flaming-side-of-the-moon

This is all very confusing.
Oh wait, it's actually a real thing?

Hahahahahaha, what?! :psyduck:

Playing this during DSOTM would probably be a very bizarre experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo hahahaha

Jesus, how many of these things did they do today? Was it like Flaming Lips Day over at FOD?

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a5c3a11daa/fred-armisen-joins-the-flaming-lips

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought it was a Wayne impersonator at first because the hair looked the same but the face didn't :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What a terrible loving reason to kick someone out of a band, especially a member who's been with the band for years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yikes. When I saw them a few weeks ago, the stage was very Wayne-centric, with him getting to do all the fun, crazy theatrical stuff and the other members just left to play the music in the background and not be paid as much attention to. But I guess I just assumed that the other members were fine with Wayne being the figurehead of the live show but they were all equal contributors. Now it sounds instead like Wayne is the dictator of the band. That's not cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamnit Wayne :smithicide:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, I think I've lost all respect for Wayne now. I mean, like Kliph said, The Flaming Lips is greater than the sum of its parts and I still love their music, but I always thought Wayne was this peaceful, cheerful dude and now that's been thrown out the window.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Epi Lepi posted:

You have a point about them slowing down some of their sick tracks. Slowed down Race for the Prize was the most annoying thing in the world.
Yeah when I saw them in March, they started Race for the Prize slow, then sped it up later. But the slow part seemed to go on much longer than the fast part. Everybody in the audience knew it was coming so the slow part just seemed like a big tease.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Decades posted:

Whoa, their facebook page is getting bombarded
Hahaha Jesus Christ, the first 2 posts I see on there:

Wayne deserves it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw this on Twitter. What an rear end in a top hat. I'm more inclined to believe Kliph than I am Wayne. Kliph actually admitted his faults and sounded genuine about the whole situation. Meanwhile Wayne is saying that talking about the Kliph situation is taking away from time that could be spent talking about what they're doing with Miley Cyrus :cripes:

• Locked thread