Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MajorB posted:

Guess what! The Flaming Lips are co-writing and performing Miley Cyrus' new album! Isn't that just great, guys!? I'm so excited!
My god, it's like new cars get added to the "lovely Flaming Lips news" train every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait so what is it? A Heady Fwends-like collaboration album but full of Beatles covers?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fantastic. I can't wait to hear Miley Cyrus do A Day In The Life.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus, I've watched like half an hour of this so far and this seems like such a boring show to have attended :smith: What the hell happened? I saw them just under 2 months ago and they seemed to have a lot more energy then. Their stage setup was also different when I saw them.

The crowd here seems pretty dead too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6MqybyLhTWGMS7FWhI

Miley + Lips do Lucy in the Sky with Diamondsd on the Billboard Music Awards.

lil mortimer posted:

That Miley thing was loving terrible. I'm not even sure Wayne's vocals were in the mix.
Yeah, this blows and the only time I can hear Wayne is when he repeats "gone". The rest is straight up just Miley :barf:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stonk:

Wayne and Miley both look horrible, Jesus...

Miley looks like a less attractive version of 1990s-era Gwen Stefani.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You know, for all the weird poo poo the Lips used to do, things seemed to get a whole lot weirder once the likes of Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha got involved. In a bad way. All the Flaming Lips weirdness used to be so cool to follow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Moby put out Destroyed a few years ago, which was actually really awesome and the best thing he's done in a long time. I guess that was just a one-off and he went back to being subpar after that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Allen Wren posted:

I lost track of his stuff after Hotel. If Destroyed is good, I may have to jump back on.
It actually made me reconsider my position that he wasn't using the massive gently caress-off gear collection that he's got at his house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9q48UlfD1w

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.spin.com/articles/moby-interview-miley-cyrus-flaming-lips-video-lsd/

quote:

What happens here?

I'm an evil wizard and I desperately want JFK's brain because encoded therein is the original recipe for LSD. I command my naked minion to go steal the brain from Miley Cyrus, who is livid. She then contacts Melty-Face Bigfoot and Weird Santa Claus, who are in a spaceship orbiting the earth, and commands them to battle my naked minion.
On paper, this sounds interesting. But:

quote:

Did Coyne offer you much direction?

Originally, he wanted to build a harness so I hung upside down while they poured water past my face. We tried it for a second and it ended up being just me getting water-boarded. Everything about it was the worst idea you can imagine. I would've been held two feet up over a concrete floor, so if I'd fallen my head would have cracked open and I would've died. But all in the interest of making psychedelic art with Wayne and Miley Cyrus.
:stare:

It really, really wasn't worth it, dude.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

a bone to pick posted:

So is it a bad opinion to love Peace Sword, because I loving love that album. Kliph's drumming really makes the songs pop and its sad to know that it might be the last album with him included.
Nah dude, Peace Sword rules. There's no shame in loving that one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm like 25 minutes into this and I really loving hate it. I'm with you, Surfingelectrode. It feels unnecessary as hell. And it's too noisy and Miley is a terrible choice for singing Lucy In The Sky. There are little moments here and there that sound legitimately cool, but they're vastly outweighed by poo poo moments. I don't think I'll ever be listening to this again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

People itt seem to get way too hung up on the narrative of the band and don't let the music exist for itself in a vacuum. I wasn't a fan of any of the other cover albums they've listened to but taken on its own terms I think this is a great interpretation of an old classic, re-updating the psychedelia for a new era.
Nah, like I'm still a huge fan of The Terror (and several of their other albums) despite Wayne being a crazy rear end in a top hat that keeps digging himself an even bigger hole, but this just sucks musically. I'm also a huge fan of the original Sgt. Pepper's and I would much rather listen to that again than this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Lips are gonna be on Conan tonight with Miley :barf:

I assume they're gonna play Lucy in the Sky.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wait, they already put the performance online even though the episode hasn't aired yet: http://teamcoco.com/video/flaming-lips-miley-cyrus-day-in-the-life

They did A Day In The Life. Miley emerges from the undercarriage of Wayne's giant aluminum foil dress. She's dressed in a nude bodysuit covered in googly eyes. The performance is not good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rear end Catchcum posted:

Well they just released that Miley Cyrus/Wayne pubic hair swirled 12" for record store day with the jingle bells b side
Why does Wayne feel the overwhelming need to keep topping himself as a creepy motherfucker lately?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That does indeed sound pretty dope, but it worries me that he tagged Miley in the videos :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

It's by far their worst and least interesting album
No. Not even close.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, Yoshimi owns :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rear end Catchcum posted:

How you say this dudes name anyway coin or cone or coy en
Coin!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Peace Sword was dope. It's the past 2 years since then that you shouldn't give a poo poo about.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I saw Modest Mouse live earlier this year and they were disappointingly whatever.
Great :( They've been one of my all time favorite bands for over a decade but I've never seen them live, but I have a ticket to a festival they're playing in October. For a while, I didn't see them even when I had opportunities to because I figured they wouldn't be as good live as they used to be in the late 90s/early 00s. Then I decided gently caress it, I'll see them anyway. But I guess my original fears were true after all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So Miley was on SNL tonight as the host and musical guest. Were the Lips her backing band? I thought so from catching glimpses of them but I wasn't sure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dreezy posted:

excuse me what.
The Flaming Lips.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

The Flaming Lips 2014: Wayne Coyne's dickhead
Ft. Miley Cyrus

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just heard Turn It On in a new K-Mart commercial and it threw me for a loving loop :stare:

It wasn't even a cover or anything. It was the original.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Lips are on Fallon right now playing Bad Days to promote Heady Nuggs :eyepop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Brock Samson posted:

So odd. Wayne looks like he crawled out of a glitter filled gutter.
The way he was dressed was ridiculously disproportionate to his age. He looked way more normal when he was wearing white suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's The Castle, which is pretty cool and sounds kinda like an older, classic Lips track.

Then there was that song about unicorns with the super groanworthy Reggie Watts feature.

Then there was that Miley Cyrus song at the end.

That was the whole album, right?

• Locked thread