Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Last year the Flaming Lips capped off a year of weird and experimental monthly mini-releases with the also weird (and strangely poppy?) Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends, a collaborations album featuring artists like Nick Cave, Neon Indian, Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band, Ke$ha, and Bon Iver. Originally released only on vinyl for Record Store Day, the album is now out on CD and digitally worldwide.

Their next album, titled The Terror, will be the band’s true follow-up to 2009’s Embryonic. Recording was completed earlier in 2012 and it’s due out April 2 in the US. The album is said to be much darker than anything the band has done before, and both Wayne and Steven have said that it's their best album since The Soft Bulletin. The song "Butterfly, How Long it Takes to Die" was previously released back in 2011, although the album version will be heavily remixed, and the song "You Lust" features Sarah Barthel from Phantogram and was performed during the Lips' Guinness World Record tour last year.

The tracklisting for the album is:

1 Look... The Sun is Rising
2 Be Free, A Way
3 Try to Explain
4 You Lust
5 The Terror
6 You Are Alone
7 Butterfly, How Long it Takes to Die
8 Turning Violent
9 Always There... in Our Hearts

A digital-only non-album bonus track titled "Sun Blows Up Today" will be released on January 29 when preorders for the album start, and the song will also appear in a Superbowl ad featuring the Lips.

Here are Wayne's notes for the album:

Wayne Coyne posted:

WHAT IS THE TERROR??

It is a strange thing when humans are very sad, the stories and music they want to hear is not hopeful or happy; they want to hear SAD stories and music...so we suppose happy people wanna hear happy things maybe we only hear ourselves or we only LISTEN to ourselves. Well, then, what had happened to us? Why would we make this music that is The Terror - this bleak, disturbing, hopeless record...?? I don’t really want to know the answer that I think is coming: that WE were hopeless. WE were disturbed (but we didn’t have a longing to NOT be disturbed) and, I think, accepting that some things are hopeless...or letting hope in one area die so that hope can start to live in another?? Maybe this is the beginning of the answer.

Making music is such a haphazard activity, especially when done by a group. The individuals each have their own states of mind and each are, in a sense, listening to or hearing only themselves and so it can be a mishmash of moods or sounds or themes depending on the members’ assertiveness or their ability to conquer others (ha ha). It is a wonder that anything gets expressed (or maybe it is BECAUSE of these different agendas that music is, sometimes, its MOST expressive) It’s a motherfucker and a mystery.

So toward the end of the mad frenzy that was the "Heady Fwends" collaboration record, a second studio was being used to record in while the main studio was being used to mix in. And often the demands of the main studio would be so overwhelming that when we would retreat, starting sometimes at 1:00 in the morning, to the second studio, our music would be made in a kind of sleepwalker’s dimension...meaning, lead only by pure desire, pleasure and curiosity. All creations, if you are lucky, begin like this. They can quickly turn unpleasurable but that’s the nature of all production. So when "The Terror" was beginning to take shape, Steven and I were determined to navigate around this drudgery of production, trying our best to keep every moment, every sound, every word as it happened in this "sleep walker’s dimension". You see, we weren’t really trying to make a new record and we were being completely self indulgent. We started to be affected by this music eventually affected so much that we could not tolerate any other music we had an inflated sense of self-importance and belief that this music this sound this mood is all that will ever matter to us from now on. Being obsessed is fun!! But The Terror is NOT fun...

CHAOS, CONTROL, CHANGE… REPEAT

What we can’t control… if you are like me… we try to control. What we can change, we try to change... And so, maybe when we are immersed in chaos for too long, we long for stability or control. And maybe when we have control for too long, we have a desire for chaos. Or maybe we are just hungry worms… yeah… worms that are a thousand feet long… and we are eating our own tail… but we don’t know that, yeah, when we HAVE control, we fear LOSING control… but we think we WANT control… and then chaos comes in and shows us that, if we had control, our lives would be safe... or predictable…or boring??? We create the chaos BECAUSE we have control... gently caress!! Like I said (or like I feared), we are hungry worms…

LOOK, THE SUN IS RISING!!

For a long time in our life, when we were young, we lived as though there were eyes watching us from above not GOD, but a super entity; not a super entity that cared about truth or justice, just a watcher. After that, we lived for a long time believing the universe has made us yeah!! but the rest is up to us. And then paranoia seemed useful again and for a short time during the making of "The Terror", we believed that eyes from beyond were once again watching over us. We longed to have no control of our lives... we tried to believe UFOs were hovering and watching us... we wanted to believe there was a conspiracy of fake truth and that we were being kept hostage by an unknown overpowering enemy and that our only escape was internal... we went inside ourselves. Where we know what is real... but once we went internal, we discovered we were empty and scared and we once again confided in the underlying truth that LOVE will save us yes, LOVE will save us. But The Terror?? The Terror is that LOVE is not the magic gravity, the sun of suns... We want, or wanted, to believe that without love we would disappear; that love, somehow, would save us that, yeah, if we have love, give love and know love, we are truly alive and if there is no love, there would be no life The Terror is, we know now, that even without love, life goes on... we just go on... there is no mercy killing.

Peace,
Wayne

I've been working with the guy who runs The Ever Enlarging Brain to create an archive of live Lips videos on YouTube. As of right now, we’ve got 83 mostly full-length shows uploaded, spanning just about every year of their career going all the way back to 1987. Highlights include:

-One of Richard English’s last shows with the Lips.
-One of the shows that Wayne and Michael played as a duo after Richard quit.
-The show that got the Lips signed to Warner Bros.
-Steven’s first show with the Lips.
-A performance of In a Priest Driven Ambulance in its entirety from 1995.
-Roskilde 1996, one of their best shows ever.
-A full Boombox Experiment from 1998.
-Derek’s first show with the Lips.

Tour Dates
Here are the Lips’ current tour dates:

03-13 Austin, TX - Alamo Ritz Theater ("A Year in the Life of Wayne's Phone" Premiere)
03-14 Austin, TX - The Belmont (The Warner Sound)
03-15 Austin, TX - Auditorium Shores
03-29 São Paulo, Brazil - Lollapalooza Brazil
04-28 Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center
04-29 Indianapolis, IN - Egyptian Room at Old National Centre
04-30 Pittsburgh, PA - Consol Energy Center
05-02 Atlanta, GA - Aaron's Amph. at Lakewood
05-03 Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
05-04 Chattanooga, TN - Track 29
05-05 Memphis, TN - Beale St. Music Festival
05-10 Napa, CA - Bottle Rock Festival
05-16 Montclair, NJ - Wellmont Theatre
05-20 London, England - Roundhouse
05-21 London, England - Roundhouse
05-22 Brighton, England - Brighton Festival
05-24 Paris, France - Villette Sonique Festival
06-14 Hultsfred, Sweden - Hultsfred Festival
06-15 Aarhus, Denmark - Northside Festival
07-11 Raleigh, NC - Time Warner Cable Pavilion
07-12 Greenville, SC - Charter Amphitheatre
07-13 Louisville, KY - Forecastle Festival
09-06 Isle Of Wight, England - Bestival

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Apr 12, 2013 around 14:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

I am totally into the idea of the next record, but to pick up the train of thought from the last thread, man, I'm worried about Drozd.

I'm pretty certain that the incident they were referring to in the article was from 2010 when they had to reschedule a few shows. As far as I know, he's been completely clean since.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's another new interview with Wayne that is definitely worth reading.

It turns out that they weren't referring to the 2010 incident and that Steven was "struggling with yet another layer of a drug addiction that he’s since gotten over." Wayne also says that this is the first album that they've ever recorded where he was taking drugs and Steven was sober?

He also mentions that they're going to be doing another full album cover soon. This time it's In the Court of the Crimson King with Stardeath, Linear Downfall, New Fumes, and Space Face. The cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man that they've been doing lately has been awesome.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I don't know how I missed it the first time, but he said in that mxdwn interview that the album would be out in January. poo poo. I guess I made this thread a little too soon, haha.

And there's a third new interview today. Here's the most interesting part of that:

quote:

With the 30th anniversary of the Flaming Lips coming up next year as well as a new album, does the band have any special plans?

[For the new album] I think were going to try put together a big, elaborate, everything included... at the moment it's a giant clear block with a human skull in it, that's got a light that you plug in. Its like a lamp, but it's a giant clear thing. That store in Oklahoma City where I can buy the human skulls, it's insane. And I think we're going to put some vials of our blood in there, close to the lightbulb so it kind of burns it up. I don't know, these things are cool to think about, but hard to do. Because we've already hosed it up three or four times. And it would just probably be something that you buy for 5000 dollars, a big giant thing.

And as far your fans and events, anything outlandish in the works?

There's an update of the Fearless Freaks movie that we're going to do that will include new stuff but not get rid of too much of the old stuff. And I think we're going to try and do a 24-hour movie theater experience. There's a movie that's called A Year on Wayne's Phone, where all through 2011, any movie I took we've taken off, and they all run in series, three videos playing at one time on three screens. Kind of like... well I forgot, but there's movies that play like that, where its split the whole time. So there are three of them the whole time, and its just random poo poo. Whatever I was doing is there. I've watched over four hours of it and it didn't feel like it was that long. And there's nine hours of [raw footage] it. So we had to edit quite a bit of it. But I watched four hours of it and didn't even blink—like, what the gently caress! Because I forget all the scenarios by which I made a 20-second little movie.

Let's hope that your own personal mini-dramas are interesting!

Well its just so random, that's what kept it interesting. There's a lot of music, but there's also a lot of other stuff. So I think we're going to try and do something like that, where there is The Fearless Freaks, there's [A Year on Wayne's Phone], and then there's Christmas on Mars. You spend the night in the theater, and you wake up and we have breakfast. Just these events that are not... you know, you could see us at a concert, and yet there are still other things—its just fun to do things. It's fun to try new things, to do different things. Even as a lot [of what we do] gets into the big rock stuff, we're always working on something new.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

According to a friend of Steven's, Wayne's remarks in that interview the other day were sensationalized by Rolling Stone to make it sound like his drug problems were more recent than they really were. Wayne was referring to the 2010 thing, which Steven has been doing great since.

Here's the episode of the Colbert Report with an interview with Wayne, a performance of Ashes in the Air, and Wayne and Stephen in space bubbles while the rest of the band plays the Colbert Report theme song. And here's the great performance of Drug Chart and the obligatory Do You Realize??.

The new re-shot version of the First Time Ever I Saw Your Face video with Amanda Palmer should probably be out within the next few days.

precision posted:

Holy poo poo dude, this is amazing. I've been finding so many good full-length concerts on the Tube (notably an REM show from the Reckoning tour where Michael Stipe is quite obviously tripping his rear end off) but hadn't found any good quality Lips ones. Awesome.

edit: About Wayne taking drugs, the weird thing is that (as far as I know) he's said that he took acid when he was young but that for the 80s-90s era of "weird" Lips albums, all he did was drink. I think that's even something he said in Fearless Freaks? Something about drinking Jack Daniels and smoking and not eating.

Awesome, glad you like them! I didn't put them in the OP since they aren't as notable as some of the others, but these are some of my favorites, especially that first one. Amazing show.

Even if anyone in the band did do drugs, they wouldn't have really had time to do them when they were making those early albums. Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd!!!, and Telepathic Surgery were all recorded in literally 16 days total. Wayne hasn't done acid since he was a teenager. I'm pretty sure I remember reading him say somewhere that he's scared of it.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2012 around 21:53

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

edit: Meant to edit this post into my other post.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Slackerish posted:

Considering how Wayne likes to talk ~5 minutes between every song at every concert...who the hell knows what that would have been like.

I had a good time when I saw The Flaming Lips, they're one of my favorite bands, but jesus Wayne, if you spent half the time talking about virtually nothing to the crowd you could probably fit in another few songs in the set.

I think he's been getting better about it. My biggest problem has been the redundant singalongs, but now that Yoshimi and Jelly are gone from the setlist, the only singalongs are Ego Tripping (which works a lot better stripped down than Yoshimi) and Do You Realize??. Honestly, I've never really minded Jelly, just the singalong coda at the end. Chewin' the Apple of Your Eye would have worked much better as a coda.

That All Good show from last month is a pretty good representation of what the live show is like right now. I'm happy with the setlist, but I'm still holding out for something way different and cool for the new album and 30th anniversary next year.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

You guys can't complain until you've seen the Lips play at 7AM at an overcrowded dive bar with no AC in Hattiesburg after being up for over 24 hours and having to sit through a terrible opening set by this guy.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's the new re-worked video for The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, with Amanda Palmer. It's very (duh). I'm pretty meh about it, just like I was the original one and the Girl, You're So Weird video.

And here's the pilot for Wayne and Michelle's reality show, which is just loving awful.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

Am I the only one that jacks off to these NSFW videos?

I think I'm just too gay to like these new videos.

Here's a great show from 1992 that I uploaded the other day, which was Ronald's second and Steven's third. It's got the only known performance of Hold Your Head and one of the only performances of Lucifer Rising with Steven and Ronald.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Aug 27, 2012 around 18:48

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Slackerish posted:

I have no idea how you find all these but this is so awesome. Thank you.

I hope one day I can see a Lips show where Steven plays the drums again. The energy that dude had, jesus. Kilph is great and all but there's something very unique and intense about the way Steven plays.

No problem! I'm glad you guys like them. I've been getting them from the guy who runs this great site, who has a huge archive of live Lips audio and video. If you go on his site, he's got around 170 live shows up for free download, which the band is completely cool with. These three are definitely my favorties.

I think we're about to run out of full-length shows to upload, so from here on out it'll be partial shows, like this Halloween show from 1993.

precision posted:

I'm lazy, would you mind pointing me to a show where they play "Felt Good To Burn" (if any)?

There's no video, but they played it at an instore at Tower Records in 1995, along with Brainville, There You Are, Love Yer Brain and You Have to Be Joking. Here's an audio recording. This instore was really nice, too.

That's one of my favorite Lips songs ever. I don't know if you heard it when it came out earlier this year, but there's a segment about that song in the Hit to Death audio documentary that Kliph made where he goes through the multitracks and brings the stuff that was buried in the mix out. It's pretty neat.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Aug 27, 2012 around 22:12

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

If any of you have the HD music channel Pallada you might want to keep an eye on it tonight at 9:00 (EST). They're going to air a special with the Flaming Lips doing Dark Side of the Moon.

It should be the same video as this. It's not a very good show at all, to be honest.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

New Fumes just uploaded his cover of Moonchild with Wayne from the In the Court of the Crimson King cover album to Soundcloud. It's a free download, so go grab it if you like it.

According to Kliph, Wayne and Steven are both on Linear Downfall's cover of Epitaph, and Wayne oversaw the whole project, but other than that, the Lips didn't really have much to do with this whole thing. I guess Stardeath, Linear Downfall, and Space Face will be posting their songs from it online soon.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The full 12-minute long version of Moonchild is now out as a free download here.

Wayne has tweeted some videos of the Lips' new light show over the past week or two, which I guess is supposed to look like the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz. They also shot a video for Ashes in the Air the other day, so that'll probably be out soon, too.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Surfingelectrode posted:

Wayne has tweeted some videos of the Lips' new light show over the past week or two, which I guess is supposed to look like the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz.

They debuted the new live setup a few days ago at a show in Big Sur. Here's the setlist and video:

Race for the Prize
The W.A.N.D.
The Ego's Last Stand
On the Run (with space bubble)
Is David Bowie Dying??
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Waitin' for a Superman
See the Leaves
Lazer Hands
Drug Chart
Pompeii an Gotterdamerung
What is the Light?
The Observer

Ashes in the Air
Do You Realize??

You guys will probably be happy to hear that there were no redundant singalongs, no dancers, no Jelly, no Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, and no Yoshimi. Pretty much everything I always bitch about. I'm pretty happy that Ego's Last Stand, Superman, and the W.A.N.D. are back, and the new light show looks great.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2012 around 05:19

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

They're never going to play "Lightning Strikes the Postman" again are they?

I'd love to see that, especially now that they've basically got three guitarists.

I forgot to mention it before, but they're going to be doing an acoustic show for Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit next month. Sounds like it could be cool, especially if they pull out some old stuff for it. They're also going to be playing a free show at the Zoo Ampitheatre in OKC with Stardeath and New Fumes on October 26. Details here.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah, even on the Soft Bulletin tour it was intense, they really nailed the terrifying wall of noise.

That's because the guitar for that song on that tour was all backing tracks .

Steven played synth, Wayne played gong, and Michael played bass.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

So, you guys remember how a bunch of stuff from one of the Lips' storage units got put up for sale on eBay last year? Someone I know bought the 30 master tapes for the song "Should We Keep the Severed Head Awake??" (which later became Sleeping on the Roof from The Soft Bulletin), and sent them to someone we know who is great at doing audio stuff.

The result is this mixdown of the song, which has never been released outside of a live recording of an earlier version that was on the Fearless Freaks CD. If you're going to listen to it, make sure you read Wayne's liner notes first. It's a very weird, abstract piece.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's the first real track from that King Crimson cover album, which is Moonchild by Spaceface (which is one of the Lips' roadies' bands):

http://soundcloud.com/spaceface-1/moonchild

I like it. I think the album is all done, so more should be coming out soon.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

weirdojace posted:

He's been singing in that register more often lately (a lot of the stuff on Heady Fwends), probably cause his voice is wearing out.

I'd never heard that song before though. That's pretty neat!

They used to do a pretty good version of it live.

The Lips are playing Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit tonight, which is streaming here for a $5 donation. I don't know when exactly they're going on, but it's going to be all acoustic and they're going to do It's Summertime and probably some other Yoshimi songs with Reggie Watts.

Also, that King Crimson cover album that the Lips produced is coming out next week. There will be a run of 500 copies on vinyl, which might only be sold on the Stardeath/New Fumes/Linear Downfall/Spaceface tour, but I'm not sure.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2012 around 22:33

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I'm not sure how long it will be up, but here's the Lips' set from the Bridge School Benefit last night. It's Summertime was really great.

WASDF posted:

That's a really lame wsy to sell it

Yeah, tell me about it. That tour isn't coming anywhere near here. I doubt they'll sell 500 copies of it, so hopefully they'll make it available online.

The cover art by Brian Chippendale is really cool:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Chamberk posted:

So... have we heard anything about The Terror beyond its title and the supposed release sometime this year? At this point I'm almost thinking it might be an early 2013 release.

It'll be out sometime in January. The song titles that we know are: "You Lust," "The Terror," "Try to Explain," "Look, the Sun is Rising," "Butterfly, How Long It Takes to Die (remix of the version from the Strobo Trip)."

I think they might debut a song from it at the big Halloween show in OKC on Friday, but that's just me guessing. They'll definitely be using the new stage setup.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

That King Crimson cover album is now out and has made its way online if you know where to look. It's really loving good... I like it a lot. Linear Downfall's cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man is killer. I think Stardeath said they'd sell some copies online after their tour ends at the end of the week, so I'll let you guys know when.

The band's Halloween show in OKC was last night. The setlist was really generic, other than a cover of Tubular Bells (?), but it was the formal debut of the new stage setup, which is basically a long row of video tubes behind the band and a rectangular video wall in front of them that moves up and down. Personally, I thought the Emerald City setup that they used in Big Sur last month was way cooler, but whatever.

Setlist was:

Sweet Leaf
Worm Mountain
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Tubular Bells
Ego's Last Stand
Is David Bowie Dying?
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Waitin' for a Superman
See the Leaves
Lazer Hands
Drug Chart
Pompeii am Götterdämmerung
What is the Light?
The Observer

Do You Realize??

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

WASDF posted:

Got any pictures of the Emerald City one? I haven't seen it.

Here's one:

I think the new setup will be cooler once they really transition into it. Last night's show was basically a normal standard show, with the same old entrance and gimmicks and stuff. I'm really hoping it gets changed up around the time the album drops in a few months.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Not sure if we heard the same thing (I found a live version just by searching it on youtube), but I found it kind of underwhelming. Kind of a neutered, generic version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Also really don't like the lady's voice or inflection. Hopefully the album version will be much better because they can do such better things with that jam out part in the middle of the song than just thrashing some guitars together.

You can hear actual album version (and the rest of the songs) here.

I like the whole thing a lot. It's a fun album.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The King Crimson album is now streaming over at Satellite Heart Radio:

http://www.satelliteheartradio.com/

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Slackerish posted:

Thinking about it, do you think Flaming Lips ever did shows with Nirvana? Seems fairly plausible.

Nirvana opened for them a few times back in 1989.

That was before they got Dave Grohl, though.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Stardeath just posted on facebook that they're working on getting the King Crimson records and tour posters up for sale online, so if you wanted one, you should watch this page:

http://www.facebook.com/StardeathAndWhiteDwarfs

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Alright, for anyone that wants a copy of the King Crimson cover album, Guestroom Records in OKC has them and is doing mailorder. The cost is $30 shipped.

Just send an email with your address and info to guestroomrecords@gmail.com and they'll send you a Paypal link to pay for it.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The company that is putting out Beck's new sheet music album is broadcasting a new one-hour radio drama about Wayne and the Lips on KCRW this Saturday and Sunday.

Info here.

Wasn't expecting that. Weird.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The whole thing is already up on KCRW:

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/ot..._coynes_human_h

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's a new interview with Steven about the album and the live show:

http://stereogum.com/1205412/progre...rogress-report/

By the way, if anyone didn't see it, Wayne did something really stupid a few weeks ago.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

Holy poo poo I wish I had been old enough to see that. I love Steel Pole Bathtub. I bet that show was loving insane.

Nathan Roberts did this interview with an old Lips fan site years ago and here's what he said about that show:

quote:

By far the most memorable experience was; Nirvana was opening for us in Ann Arbor, MI. (yes…they were opening for us for $150) and Kurt mentioned to me that G.G. Allen was in jail in Ann Arbor and suggested that we drop by and pay him a visit. Kurt and I hopped in the Nirvana van and went to the jail. The cops said he was there but he probably wouldn’t want to see us. We insisted that we were friends of his and they let us go in. G.G. wasn’t happy to see us. After we told him who we were and that we were big fans, he proceeded to curse and spit at us and kept yelling that we were “just a couple of Kansas City faggots who want their dicks sucked by the immortal G.G.” I know Kurt wasn’t famous at the time, but it’s kinda cool to look back on it now. I still have one of Kurt’s t-shirts in my closet. He left it in our van after a show in Champagne, IL. We had played in Normal, IL the night before and we heard they were playing in Champagne the next night. We were the only five people that showed-up for the show, so Nirvana played a private show for us and it was incredible. They played like there were a thousand people there. Kurt even slashed his finger open on his guitar string and just kept ripping it up. I heard a couple of years ago that a white, blood splattered guitar of Kurt’s sold at auction for over $100,000.

leica posted:

Jesus Christ Wayne is getting really loving stupid, I don't buy the bullshit that he forgot it was in his bag, he was leaving his home in OKC, why didn't he just leave it at home? It's to the point now where I question his motivations, it's like he's doing dumb poo poo deliberately to get attention, like tweeting pics of Keesha's cocaine http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/01/...-kehas-cocaine/

The last part of the airport article sums up my feelings about it perfectly:

[edit] I think Wayne needs to put down his iPhone for a year or two, stop loving tweeting and concentrate on the loving music. I'm going to unfollow him because his tweets lately are just rambling bullshit.

I'm hoping he's just having a midlife crisis.

By the way, Dwelling Spaces (the new store in the Womb) was selling copies of a new collectors edition Yoshimi CD that has "unheard mixes & a re-imagined Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots ALL songs associated with it" at their grand opening today. I really don't know anything more about it, other than the packaging is a diorama:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I would love a copy of that Yoshimi album, if you could let me know about prices and if maybe you could snag one and I'd pay for it.

There were only six of them there today and they were $100 and signed by the band.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Alright, here's the tracklisting:

01 Do You Realize??
02 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1 (Unused UK Radio Mix)
03 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 2 (Not Final Mix)
04 Funeral in My Head (If I Go Mad)
05 Fight Test
06 One More Robot (Not Final Mix)
07 Are You a Hypnotist?? (Not Final Mix)
08 Assassination of the Sun
09 I'm a Fly in a Sunbeam (Following the Funeral Procession of a Stranger)
10 Sunship Balloons
11 In the Morning of the Magicians
12 It's Summertime (Unedited Final Mix)
13 Up Above the Daily Hum
14 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Dawn
15 Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)
16 All We Have is Now

17 It's Summertime (Original Version)
18 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell (Demo)

There are some pics here. Looks like it's limited to 100 copies. And Yoshimi: The Cartoon?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favorite Lips albums had strong contributions from Jonathan Donahue or Ronald Jones. It's been a long time since I believed that Wayne Coyne was anything more than the conductor.

Funnily enough, he's basically turned into the guy from the Polyphonic Spree, who started out by being a sort-of Lips ripoff (but a great one, imo).

I know people probably just dismiss it as a Lips ripoff, but Tripping Daisy's Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb is one of my favorite albums ever. At this point, I think I like Tim DeLaughter a lot more than I do Wayne. At least he seems like a really genuine person and not trying to constantly get attention and look like a "rock star."

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

I think Telepathic Surgery is a good album that suffers from atrocious mixing. "Chrome Plated Suicide" is one of their best tunes.

It's kinda goofy and not everything on it works (which I guess you could say about the other two albums before it), but I have a soft spot for it. It's probably the closest representation to what their live show was like at the time.

crankdatbatman posted:

As I said in an earlier post, I'm still pretty new to this band and am a little surprised for all the love for the pre-Soft Bulletin stuff. I know their sound was totally different back then, but I figured since the band has mostly abandoned that material the newer space rock/psychadelic stuff was what everyone cared about.

Definitely check out In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Hit to Death in the Future Head. I love the Donahue years.

Slackerish posted:

Yoshimi is an overrated album but I can't forget that it was my favorite album when I was 12, which is when I had a pretty weak taste in music. Approaching Mons by Whateverwhatever is still one of the best songs they've ever done, for my money. I can (and do) listen to that song every day, when the horns come in it's just beautiful.

EDIT- I also wouldn't be surprised if Steven felt uncomfortable playing guitar licks that he didn't actually write.

I think the second half of Yoshimi is pretty great, but I could live with never, ever hearing Fight Test or Yoshimi again. Are You a Hypnotist?? and It's Summertime are two of my favorite Lips songs ever.

And Steven played a lot of the guitar on those two albums with Ronald, moreso on Clouds. He was never really just the drummer or whatever.

The rear end Stooge posted:

If you go searching for Zaireeka mixdowns (and you should, I've never heard it in its "intended" form but it's still one of my favorite Lips albums), the one by "soniclovenoize" is the best.

The whole thing is uploaded here, but honestly Zaireeka really isn't that hard to do properly nowadays. It just takes some ingenuity... you can put one disc on your computer, one on your TV, and then the other two on your stereo or laptop or boombox or whatever. It's a pretty amazing experience.

CPL593H posted:

I've said this several times in some version of this thread. Moth in the Incubator! On one hand I want to hear it live. On the other hand I wonder if it would be anywhere near as good without Ronald Jones. When I listened to the live version of it (featuring Ronald) from the Fearless Freaks soundtrack I was nearly brought to tears. He was an incredible musician with the most unique style I've ever heard. I don't think we'll ever see his like again.

Be My Head was a lot of fun at the show in Clarksdale earlier this year, but in retrospect, it kinda sloppy and weak (especially since Wayne didn't bother to relearn just about any of the lyrics).

The Lollapalooza tour that that recording of Moth is from was pretty great. This show (there's a free download there) is amazing and one of my favorites ever. One of the only known performances of Slow Nerve Action with Ronald.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2012 around 05:14

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The funny thing about Yoshimi and Mystics is that some of the best songs didn't make the albums. Check out Up Above the Daily Hum, If I Go Mad/Funeral in My Head, The Gold in the Mountains of Our Madness, You've Got To Hold On!, etc. if you haven't heard them.

The spacey prog songs on Mystics are pretty great, but the dumb pop songs are some of their worst ever. That's my problem with that album.

Also, Hit to Death owns. It and Zaireeka are probably my two favorite Lips albums.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the song (Past Lives) that Wayne, Steven, and Ben Folds did for Ke$ha's new album is actually pretty great. It's much, much better than 2012.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2012 around 18:12

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Alright thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably get Embryonic and the two I mentioned and work my way through their catalog from there.

I can see how Yoshimi can be considered weak, but I personally I find the sequence of "Ego Tripping", "Hypnotist", and "It's Summertime" to be a pretty powerful streak of songs.

Someone actually uploaded all of Priest Driven Ambulance to YouTube if you wanted to hear it. I agree with precision that it's basically their most 'normal' album, but it's still loving amazing and Mountain Side is probably my all-time favorite Lips song. Especially live. It's really a shame just how overlooked that album is.

Speaking of Yoshimi, just for the hell of it, here's the original early tracklisting for it:

1. Do Ya Realize
2. Are You A Hypnotist
3. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
4. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 2
5. Funeral In My Head
6. Up Above The Daily Hum
7. Fight Test (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 3)
8. Sympathy 3000-21
9. One More Robot
10. Ego Tripping At the Gates of Hell
11. In The Morning of the Magicians
12. It's Summertime
13. All We Have Is Now
14. Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)

Which I kind of like. I think the album would have been much stronger with Daily Hum and Funeral in My Head instead of Yoshimi 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

If you actually open up all of the discs in Audacity, you'll see that they don't all sync up perfectly. I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

It's cool to get them in perfect sync, but it's a lot more fun when they're all off, especially when you add in the fifth disc that Steven made for the 10th anniversary.

• Locked thread
«5 »