Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Surfingelectrode posted:

And here's the pilot for Wayne and Michelle's reality show, which is just loving awful.

Um, ok. And which network is supposed to be picking this up? I guess I'd watch it just out of curiosity just because I'm a fan, but really who else is going to give a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not necessarily saying it's bad, I thought it was funny but that's because I like Wayne. I just don't see the mainstream getting into it. I would love for a network to pick it up but I don't see it happening. The market is flooded with reality shows and there are probably hundreds if not more pilots out there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does anyone know why Kliph hates Dave Grohl so much? I keep seeing it brought up (Twitter, etc.) but have no idea why. Did Dave gently caress his girlfriend or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

He makes music that I, and apparently Kliph, can't stand. There's no larger story, Kliph's just got opinions on music.

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard, thanks for your lovely opinion on what you think Kliph feels on the matter. Pretty sure Kliph is capable of respecting an artist (and fellow drummer) even though he doesn't prefer the music, so there must be something more to it than that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I know because it's been implied, specifically by Steven on twitter but he didn't elaborate. I'm not going to ask him because why waste his loving time really, I've personally corresponded with Kliph before and he was cool so why bother him? I figured maybe surfingelectrode may know, but you can stop chiming in since it's obvious you don't.

[edit] Also the Foo Fighters are a decent band, not the greatest but for mainstream rock you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 6, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you president of the Grohl Haters Club or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slackerish posted:

dude you're talking this really personally

Not really, over it already.

If Kliph has an official response just post it, I don't check twitter much.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 6, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey look Dave Grohl is pretty cool

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 7, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mia2000 posted:

I'd like to get the background story on this photo if at all possible.

I found it randomly yesterday on Imgur when I went to upload a photo, and I immediately thought of this thread and had to post it.

I guess the guy that uploaded it is the guy in on the right, and the caption said he met Dave while voting. Where the framed picture came from I have no clue, he must have had it in his car I guess?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'd guess that if you had a personal problem with an artist you would tend to probably not like their music. Or respect them in general. Whatever Grohl did or said to Kliph must have been lovely, Kliph is a cool and humble guy (he helped me find a good set of drums) so I'll trust his opinion that Dave Grohl is probably an rear end.

I still kinda like the Foo Fighters though :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 11, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not too long ago they both did the Who Rock Honors on VH1, maybe something went on there. I know Daltrey and Townshend talk a lot about how much they love the Lips, maybe Grohl got jealous and pissed in their punch bowl.

It's gotta be cool though to hear your rock heros talk about how much they like and respect you as an artist.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ Wayne is getting really loving stupid, I don't buy the bullshit that he forgot it was in his bag, he was leaving his home in OKC, why didn't he just leave it at home? It's to the point now where I question his motivations, it's like he's doing dumb poo poo deliberately to get attention, like tweeting pics of Keesha's cocaine http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/01/23/do-you-realize-wayne-coyne-may-have-tweeted-a-pic-of-kehas-cocaine/

The last part of the airport article sums up my feelings about it perfectly:

quote:

Anyway, this whole fiasco brings me back to one question I’ve asked on this site a few times over the past year. What the hell is going on with Wayne Coyne?! He used to be a quirky little weirdo that everyone enjoyed. Hell, I had a man crush on him. Now I can barely stand him.

He used to be obsessed with robots and Martians and would say things like “gently caress” over the loudspeakers at city events. And best of all, he seemed authentic and genuine while doing it.

Maybe the Twitter age is partly to blame, but now it feels like there’s a staged and contrived element to everything Wayne Coyne does. His shtick has gotten old. Instead of seeing a creative genius at work, I feel like I’m watching an egotistical old man who’s obsessed with vaginas, open sores and bringing grenades to airports. Sure, he’s still a great ambassador for our city and proof to the world that not all Oklahomans are right wing religious zealots, but I want the old Wayne Coyne back. Maybe someone can help Wayne find him.

[edit] I think Wayne needs to put down his iPhone for a year or two, stop loving tweeting and concentrate on the loving music. I'm going to unfollow him because his tweets lately are just rambling bullshit.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 23, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't forget the Erykah Badu bullshit, contrived or not the whole thing was ridiculous. I wish he would just put the energy into making music that he puts into gimmicks. Hopefully this new album will exceptional for his sake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The grenade is for sale.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Agreed. The only reason I'm still paying attention to the Lips is because of Steven, he is a huge talent and I'll be following him for as long as he's making music. Without him the Lips are nothing.

[edit] I've stopped following Wayne on twitter, and have also had to stop following the Lips feed because it keeps retweeting Wayne's feed, wtf :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 26, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

I'm glad though, I was planning on buying a couple more Lips albums with my next paycheck. I only currently have Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, but I've listened to bits and pieces of most of their stuff from Transmissions from the Satellite Heart on. I want to get that one, and I'm kind of leaning towards Clouds Taste Metallic but would any of you have any suggestions for another instead, perhaps something post-Yoshimi?

Get Zaireeka. If you don't have access to four CD players, there are free downloads out there (I think so, it's been awhile) that have all four discs mixed to one. There was also a guy on the Lips forums years ago that made DVD's to Zaireeka with trippy imagery. I managed to get one and it's incredible, IMO "Driving To Work" is one of the best songs they've recorded.

Also the problem with Mystics for me is the way it was recorded, the ridiculous amounts of compression rape your ears and make it almost unlistenable with earphones. I could probably enjoy it if it wasn't for that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 27, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RizieN posted:

I don't know anyone, except in this thread, that doesn't loving hate Wayne right now. All that nonsense with the loving groupie just proves he's been going through a mid life crisis. I wish Drozd would break off and do some solo poo poo.

e; guess I left the reply up forever because I quoted an old post. But whatever, point still stands. I'm glad Michelle left his rear end and didn't just 'stick it out'.

Hate is a pretty strong word. I know Wayne is a good person, he's just in a rut right now and it's hard to watch. Hopefully it's not affecting the other guys in the band too much, and hopefully Wayne can snap out of whatever funk he's in.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bass is pretty easy to learn, and he's had lots of practice. IIRC Michael is pretty much the engineer of the band and that by itself is pretty important.

[edit] Content: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/the-flaming-lips-take-their-antics-to-new-york-20121219

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 21, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

It's so nice to hear someone enthuse over recent Lips stuff in this thread. Too many older dudes in this thread who can't get over the 90s.

Not our fault you were in your diapers when they were touring for Transmissions, their best shows ever IMO. If you would have seen them live back then you'd probably understand. Steven on drums and Ronald on guitar was something to behold and is one of the few good shows I remember from that era.

Also I like AWWTM :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 11, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The SARS Volta posted:

I'm gonna assume "bleak, disturbing" material won't translate well to a live show, unfortunately.

No more space bubble or confetti, doom and gloom show :(

That actually would probably be a good thing since that stuff has been played out ten times over.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Heh. My 5yr old son LOVES the commercial and the song. He loves the Lips in general but I get the feeling The Terror is not for kids :v:

I feel sorry for all the people downloading the album because of that commercial and being thoroughly disappointed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

WASDF posted:

DO THE METH
"i really don't like it when he calls us motherfuckers"

Haha, it's almost like you have to know how Wayne is before you see a show. His long winded speeches tend to piss people off too, when the rest of us are just like "Another Wayne speech :rolleyes:"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The last show I went to he was going on about politics and a lot of people were yelling SHUT THE gently caress UP so he had to hear it, and you think he would get the hint to wrap it up but no, he's gotta get the whole speech out, it's for your own good!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slackerish posted:

I feel like i've put up with a lot of Wayne's poo poo, mostly because I just don't care, but that thing about him making him Steven being suicidal and exaggerating his drug addiction made my skin crawl a bit.

Yikes. It sounded like Steven was kinda pissed about it, I wonder how that conversation went.....

That being said Steven's drug issues are pretty well documented so it's not out of the realm of possibility, however Wayne had no right to exploit it. But I guess that's what he's good at?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Smithereens did the Who's Tommy and it's pretty horrible.

I don't see the point, just like the Lip's cover of DSOTM, if you're a fan of the album any cover is going to sound like poo poo in comparison. It might sound good if you never really listened to the album before, but if you know it very well it's sacrilegious to even think some other band could do a better job. To me Tommy and DSOTM are masterpieces and should NOT be recorded by anyone other than the people that created it. Just my opinion.

[edit] and although not an album, Green Day covered the Who's "mini opera" A Quick One and it's poo poo also. gently caress Green Day.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 8, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Who says that a cover is supposed to or has to be better than the original? Or a replacement for it?

Nobody. I'm just a big fan of DSOTM and don't think it should be hosed with. The Lip's cover was horrible imo. Covers of songs are cool but doing whole albums like Tommy is a bit ridiculous. Make your own album.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, so we all have our opinions on it. Mine is it's stupid, and the Lips cover sucked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well if you want to keep the ball rolling I imagine you'd have to put up with a lot of poo poo. It's how Steven makes a living, and he has a family now so what is he gonna do? Like a lot of bands that have been around that long, they just sort of tolerate each other. Although that must have been a tough one because Wayne has really been over the top lately. I'm sure Steven would love to punch him in the head at times.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think people are making a mountain out of a misread molehill and Steven will always hold Wayne in high esteem for giving him livelihood/artistic outlet/not firing him for out-of-control drug abuse and various recidivisms but that's just me.

Did you read the interview? Steven told the story and didn't sound very happy about it, there was nothing to misread because it came from the horse's mouth.

And I think Wayne needs Steven a hell of a lot more than vise versa but that's just me. If at any point in time past, present or future Wayne fired/fires Steven the Lips are done.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think it's a guy who backslid into hard drug abuse being grouchy and that people are letting the "Wayne is losing it!" narrative color their interpretation of events. At any rate, trying to affect more outrage than Drozd seems to feel over the deal is a little much.

I wasn't implying any more outrage on Steven's part then what he portrayed in the interview, but yeah in my opinion it's a lovely thing to do. I highly doubt that at this point in their career that Steven feels obligated to let Wayne exploit his issues.

And for the record I don't think Wayne is losing it, I just think he's being an inconsiderate dick.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CPL593H posted:

The internet slapfight with Erykah Badu comes to mind.

Also the hand grenade at the airport incident, then putting the grenade up for sale.

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

and frankly it's more likely that a drug addict is downplaying the extent to which his last heroin experience derailed his life.

Whether he's downplaying it or not, Wayne isn't helping the issue, that's the point.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 11, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well it's a Flaming Lips discussion thread, and it's relevant to the discussion?

If it wasn't a topic of discussion I suppose it wouldn't be "obsessed" about.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^^That's awesome.

CPL593H posted:

Normal people don't make good art. I just accept the fact that most of the people who make stuff I like are crazy assholes.

Axl Rose is an rear end in a top hat racist, but I will never stop listening to Gn'R :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I suppose you don't like Motley Crue either. Figures :rolleyes:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I loving hate Motley Crue.

Do you like any 80's hair metal? (serious question)

I grew up during that period so I guess I have a soft spot for it :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

precision posted:

Guns N Roses weren't hair metal. :colbert:

They were part of the same scene and came out during that time so technically yeah they were. They just sold a hell of a lot more records than everyone else so some people think they are exempt somehow.

Hair metal gets a bad rap because of all the horrible bands, but there were some really good talented bands too. I went to a lot of shows during that time and they were some of the best shows I've ever seen. Monsters of Rock comes to mind, good poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Talking Heads and Blondie came out at the same time as the Ramones and played at CBGB all the time but I wouldn't call them punk rock.

The Talking Heads and Blondie aren't anywhere near the same zipcode as the Ramones come on dude. If anything I would put them in the New Wave genre not punk.

Have you seen pictures of GnR right around when they were signed? They were a hair or "glam band".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_metal

quote:

Mötley Crüe with Girls, Girls, Girls (1987) continued their run of commercial success,[24] and Def Leppard with Hysteria (1987) hit their commercial peak, the latter producing a hard rock record of seven hit singles.[17] L.A. band Faster Pussycat released their eponymous début, but the greatest success was Guns N' Roses, originally formed from a fusion of bands L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose, who released the best-selling début of all time, Appetite for Destruction (1987). With a "grittier" and "rawer" sound than most glam metal, it produced three top 10 hits, including the number one "Sweet Child O' Mine".[41] Such was the dominance of the style that Californian hardcore punk band T.S.O.L. moved towards a glam metal sound in this period.[42][43]

Like I said, just because they sold more records doesn't make them exempt, they are a hair metal band. Watch the Welcome to the Jungle video and tell me Axl Rose isn't the lead singer of a hair band.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 17, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. Did you know Stephen loves Kiss? I bet he loves glam metal too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who cares, this thread was due for a derail because it was getting boring.

And clearly you're in denial about GnR being a glam band. Deal with it, it's on Wiki :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Desperation.

Sorry, it was too easy.

• Locked thread