Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Holy poo poo dude, this is amazing. I've been finding so many good full-length concerts on the Tube (notably an REM show from the Reckoning tour where Michael Stipe is quite obviously tripping his rear end off) but hadn't found any good quality Lips ones. Awesome.

As for the new album, if it's anywhere near as good as Embryonic, I'm sold. I do kind of wish Wayne would stop writing lyrics telling me to be afraid and how I'm gonna die and poo poo though, it's to the point where I mostly listen to them sober now because I don't want to get The Fear.

Also, I believe the movie Wayne is thinking about where it's actually a bunch of movies playing at once is Time Code, which is a loving brilliant film on its own and really mindblowing that it was filmed entirely in one take with four cameras.

edit: About Wayne taking drugs, the weird thing is that (as far as I know) he's said that he took acid when he was young but that for the 80s-90s era of "weird" Lips albums, all he did was drink. I think that's even something he said in Fearless Freaks? Something about drinking Jack Daniels and smoking and not eating.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading him say somewhere that he's scared of it.

I remember him saying that somewhere around the release of Yoshimi, too. That his imagination was crazy enough now that he's worried it would be too intense.

Would have given anything to have talked to him while he took Ecstasy for the first time, though!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slackerish posted:

Considering how Wayne likes to talk ~5 minutes between every song at every concert...who the hell knows what that would have been like.

I had a good time when I saw The Flaming Lips, they're one of my favorite bands, but jesus Wayne, if you spent half the time talking about virtually nothing to the crowd you could probably fit in another few songs in the set.

Yeah, and that's mostly a recent thing, when I saw them in the late 90s and early 00s he barely talked at all. I think he's gotten way too into the whole "every show is an event" schtick rather than just playing the songs. This pretty much coincided with around the time when he almost entirely quit playing guitar live.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skeezy posted:

Why does this even exist?

I don't know man, I think it's loving hilarious. I'm pretty sure they're just trolling the entire notion of celeb reality shows.

edit: Ahahahaha oh my God Wayne's fake British accent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

leica posted:

Um, ok. And which network is supposed to be picking this up? I guess I'd watch it just out of curiosity just because I'm a fan, but really who else is going to give a poo poo?

It's funnier than every other reality show that exists. The coffee shop bit where Wayne is just like "GIVE ME ALL THE COFFEE I AM SO loving HIGH I NEED MORE COFFEE NOW" is gold.

I really don't see why people are saying it's terrible. To a Lips fan, it's just goofy and "goofy" is like, everything they do.

This is a band that made a blood record and sold an album inside a gummy skull.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

I think I'm just too gay to like these new videos.

Here's a great show from 1992 that I uploaded the other day, which was Ronald's second and Steven's third. It's got the only known performance of Hold Your Head and one of the only performances of Lucifer Rising with Steven and Ronald.

I'm lazy, would you mind pointing me to a show where they play "Felt Good To Burn" (if any)?

For a long time that was my favorite Lips song ever, ever. Though sometimes I prefer the Elf Power version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1SQaBfUvk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm 99.9% certain that Wayne Coyne is, in fact, a literal wizard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They're never going to play "Lightning Strikes the Postman" again are they? :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'd love to see that, especially now that they've basically got three guitarists.

Yeah, even on the Soft Bulletin tour it was intense, they really nailed the terrifying wall of noise.

I'm listening to Clouds again right now and trying to find an essay I wrote explaining how it's a concept album with a very specific story, told in order. I'll post it if I can figure out where I left it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slackerish posted:

For whatever it's worth I would love to read that

I never did find it, but the gist of it goes like this:

The Abandoned Hospital Ship

Scientists discover a formula that vastly increases intelligence and psychic power, begin to create a superbeing/starchild/messiah. Pretty much every lyric fits that, but especially "Now that it's conceived, the station is all settled down".

Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus With Needles

The superbeing grows, and is influencing the world around him. World is upside-down ("cats eating dogs", etc) to the amusement of the starchild ("the king bug laughs"). Some of the scientists have to escape to avoid the chaos ("when the spaceship beams you up boy, get drunk fast").

Placebo Headwound

Basically the starchild growing up and asking questions, pretty straightforward.

This Here Giraffe

...OK I don't remember how this fit in. Except as another "little kid" song.

Brainville

"Brainville" being the code name for the laboratory where they created the starchild, and the rumors people hear about it, and everyone else wanting to be given the same formula.

Guy Who Got a Headache and Accidentally Saves the World

Finally grown up, starchild... well, saves the world. "He saves the day, watch his head explode", "the boy wonder, saves the planet but destroys his ever-enlarging brain in the process".

When You Smile

Now a "normal" person, starchild falls in love.

Kim's Watermelon Gun

...with "Kim", who helps him rediscover his powers with her "watermelon gun" which is probably a metaphor or something. She keeps him away from the media and scientists ("wouldn't it be dumb if all their atrocities were just forgiven, but she won't give that to them").

They Punctured My Yolk

But the starchild is found and taken away from Kim, who was getting scared of his returning abilities anyway ("power is the thing that drove you away from me"). He's launched back to the Abandoned Hospital Ship.

Lightning Strikes the Postman

The title of the song is metaphor for what the lyrics explicitly say; starchild tries to keep in touch with Kim, but the messages keep getting intercepted and scrambled or destroyed.

Christmas at the Zoo

Growing older, the starchild tells this parable. The animals at the zoo represent humanity, who has grown to resent him. "They preferred to save themselves; they seemed to think they could".

Evil Will Prevail

The scientists ("loving hands") kill the starchild. "The mother zaps you dead". Evil prevails by keeping the secret of unlimited human potential.

Bad Days

Wayne wants to remind everyone that even though being a human kinda sucks, you can dream and do whatever you want and your bad days will end, because the secret of being a superbeing is inside you, I guess. I don't know, I didn't really fit this song in because IIRC it was written before the rest of the album and sort of tacked on (Aurally Excited Version).

I'm gonna keep looking for the essay though because I put it together a lot more coherently in that. Yeah I take a lot of drugs and read a lot of Philip K. Dick, why do you ask?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Nirvana opened for them a few times back in 1989.

That was before they got Dave Grohl, though.

Holy poo poo I wish I had been old enough to see that. I love Steel Pole Bathtub. I bet that show was loving insane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

leica posted:

[edit] I think Wayne needs to put down his iPhone for a year or two, stop loving tweeting and concentrate on the loving music. I'm going to unfollow him because his tweets lately are just rambling bullshit.

I seriously wish I could forget or unread all the articles from that site I just went through. Even with the possible bias, the facts alone really do make Wayne sound like a total loving sex-crazed weirdo.

For a very long time, one of the things I loved about the Lips was that there wasn't really any sexual element to their music. Back in '95, all the other bands I liked pretty much had songs about sex or gender politics or whatever. If it wasn't Songs About loving from the guys, it was Songs About Who Society Fucks from the girls. The Flaming Lips sometimes sang about love (okay, maybe more than sometimes) but it had this childlike innocence to it.

Now Wayne is all grown up and I have to deal with the fact that he skeezes on groupies half his age. Not that I'm a prude - I'm just as bad or worse than anything I've heard Wayne doing, if anything - but I liked having that musical safe place, I guess.

On a lighter note, just now I remembered I once had sex with Hit To Death playing in the other room and how annoying it was to have to stop and go turn it off when it got to the "bonus track".

BMMMMP BMMMP BMMMMP BMMMP BMMMP BMMMMP

precision fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 23, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno man I don't have any trouble at all believing that Wayne and Ke$ha were, in fact, railing lines of coke and he thought it would be awesome to tweet a picture of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weirdojace posted:

Wayne doesn't really do a lot of drugs, much less coke. If he's been telling the truth, that is. I mean he's made it known that he's smoked pot and dabbled in acid and mushrooms a few times, but he's not really the hardcore druggy everyone makes him out to be. I do think he's seemed to have gotten back into smoking pot pretty recently, though. But that's nothing.

I think you're confusing the timeline. Wayne does a lot of drugs now, whereas for most of the Lips' lifetime he didn't really do any (besides alcohol and tobacco).

By all accounts (I know a guy...) he's pretty "into" drugs now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have you ever done cocaine? After a few good lines of coke, anything sounds like a good idea. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never paid for cocaine. I've worked for and with people who did a lot of it (clubs, bars, strippers, you know) so there have been a lot of nights where, after a bunch of scotch, free (good) cocaine became a "why the hell NOT?!"

The hangover can be terrible if you naturally have sinus issues (which I do, it's why I quit smoking tobacco finally) but eh, you know, I regret nothing.

/drug derail

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

It's pretty obvious that dude has a huge axe to grind when it comes to Wayne and I'm having a hard time believing most of what he's written.

All the "bad Wayne" articles on that site have been written with different language on other sites. What specifically don't you believe? The naked pictures of his wife, the separation, Wayne cruising for groupies, the specific groupie he mentions, all of that is more or less provably factual. :confused:

He certainly is biased, because he keeps saying "drat it Wayne, I used to love you and now you're being a loving weirdo", but nothing in the articles I read sounded made up at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I only googled for a second but I haven't seen any other articles mention their separation or the groupies at all and his article was written way back in August. Someone else would have done a piece about it by now if it was real.

I swear I read it in several places a couple months ago, but can't find anything now either. Hmmm.

I do know that from reading her Twitter she's been out of the country for a long time, and she's said a bunch of cryptic things. And Wayne hasn't mentioned her in forever, and vice versa.

Maybe I had them confused with Thurston and Kim, who definitely split up.

edit: "Best album since The Soft Bulletin" is a weird statement that I can't feel one way or the other about, since Soft Bulletin is almost my least-favorite album and I thought Embryonic was their best since Clouds. I want more Embryonic style stuff. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WASDF posted:

I don't know if it's the fame. I don't think Flaming Lips are as popular as they once were.

Huh? Right now I'd say the Lips are riding a wave of popularity (among certain kinds of people, that is) that they haven't really had since Soft Bulletin. If the prices and attendance of their live show is any indication, they're certainly at their most popular; 12 years ago, you could see them for $20 at a small-medium-size venue/bar and it wouldn't even sell out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

At this point I prefer to only focus on the actual music and nothing that Wayne does. Steven is really the true anchor for the band and I have a feeling if he ever left the music would take sharp decline and just be nothing but Wayne Coyne's brain farts.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favorite Lips albums had strong contributions from Jonathan Donahue or Ronald Jones. It's been a long time since I believed that Wayne Coyne was anything more than the conductor.

Funnily enough, he's basically turned into the guy from the Polyphonic Spree, who started out by being a sort-of Lips ripoff (but a great one, imo).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last time I saw Polyphonic Spree, 6 years ago (Jesus...) my friend and I were out of our minds on mushrooms, it was a little venue (the Orange Peel in Asheville) and maybe this is the drugs talking but it was better than any Lips show I've (personally) seen. They did 3 encores totalling about an hour.

And as far as Tim, yep, talk about a swell guy - before the opening band went on, he went around the place and literally shook the hand of everybody there and thanked us for coming to the show. It was nuts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happy Hippo posted:

I have always looked at Yoshimi as a lesser Soft Bulletin that just so happened to have Do You Realize? on it which was, you know, a hit.

Counterpoint: Yoshimi has "Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon" which for my money is better than anything on Soft Bulletin bar "Waiting For Superman". I'm also really partial to the title track and "Fight Test".

For those of us that didn't much like The Soft Bulletin, it was the better album because it was at least nice and weird.

I listened to Zaireeka for the first time in a while this morning and I really hope they re-release it with an "official" one-CD release. I know that's not "how it's intended to be heard" :jerkbag: but the songs on it are really solid and I'd love a copy that's both one disc and mixed professionally instead of the amateur unofficial one I have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

And none of them are as good as Transmissions from the Satellite Heart.

Empty quotin' this.

Actually, not really. It's the only album of theirs that's literally flawless for me. Every other album that might be their best has at least one song that breaks up the flow for me; in order, "Rainin' Babies", "Frogs", "When You Smile", and "A Machine In India" (seriously gently caress that song's ten minute runtime).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh. It's like "Frogs"; not a bad song at all, just breaks up the flow of the album. v:shobon:v

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Telepathic Surgery is a good album that suffers from atrocious mixing. "Chrome Plated Suicide" is one of their best tunes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

crankdatbatman posted:

As I said in an earlier post, I'm still pretty new to this band and am a little surprised for all the love for the pre-Soft Bulletin stuff. I know their sound was totally different back then, but I figured since the band has mostly abandoned that material the newer space rock/psychadelic stuff was what everyone cared about.

Well some of us are really old and actually got into the band back then. :)

quote:

I'm glad though, I was planning on buying a couple more Lips albums with my next paycheck. I only currently have Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, but I've listened to bits and pieces of most of their stuff from Transmissions from the Satellite Heart on. I want to get that one, and I'm kind of leaning towards Clouds Taste Metallic but would any of you have any suggestions for another instead, perhaps something post-Yoshimi?

Get the re-release of In a Priest Driven Ambulance which comes with a whole extra disc of awesome. It's called The Day They Shot the Hole in the Jesus Egg. No I don't know why they changed the album's title for the re-issue.

Transmissions, Clouds, and Embryonic are also super.

So is Hit To Death.

I have a hard time not recommending any of those, and my favorites change often. For a long time, In a Priest was my favorite thing of theirs. Then again it's easily the most, I guess, "traditional" album they've done, it has noisy and it has Neil Young-ish ballad but it really doesn't get too weird. That works in its favor, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How does one like Clouds but not Transmissions or Hit To Death? :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Zaireeka is so underrated. It's very epic, "Your Invisible Now" is breathtaking and that ominous main melody line in "March of the Rotting Vegetables" just slays me.

When I first had it, I loved experimenting with combinations of just 2 of the 4 discs at a time. It was like a whole new album every time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Someone actually uploaded all of Priest Driven Ambulance to YouTube if you wanted to hear it. I agree with precision that it's basically their most 'normal' album, but it's still loving amazing and Mountain Side is probably my all-time favorite Lips song. Especially live. It's really a shame just how overlooked that album is.

It's funny you should say that, it seems to be pretty much completely an age thing - all the fellow old fucks I know like myself have always been "dude take acid and listen to Priest Driven Ambulance it's THE BEST", even the ones that soured on the band's later material.

I think it has some of their most "genuine" emotional moments. "hosed if ya do, and you're hosed if ya don't". "God was hosed up when he made this town". Etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quote-Unquote posted:

I seem to recall that part of the 'experience' is that if you play the discs on different physical players you'll find that things are invariably slightly out of sync with each other, creating some bizarre sounds

Yep, I don't know the :science: behind it but apparently CD players will always de-sync from each other much quicker than you'd think. Which makes me wonder all kinds of things about playing songs from CD and how it might imperceptibly change them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...there's a FIFTH DISC?!

How did I miss that? Goddamn.

I'm actually listening to Yoshimi for the first time all the way through in ages - probably 5 years or more, honestly. I honestly didn't remember "One More Robot" being this good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Mercury Rev, which is Jonathan Donahue and Dave Fridmann's band. I love their first four albums (especially the first two, with David Baker).

This, absolutely. My favorite is See You On the Other Side, the third album. They followed a pretty similar trajectory to the Lips; noisy fuzzy poppy and then orchestral complex pop. When Soft Bulletin came out, one of my chief criticisms of it was that the Rev had already been on that trip with Deserter's Songs.

quote:

Super Furry Animals, who are basically the weird Welsh Flaming Lips.

These guys too. Absolutely. And if you like them, I'd look into their even-weirder contemporaries, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci:

They started out recording as teenagers in a delightfully crazy style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TkoRZHuKxQ

...and evolved into a beautiful lush pop band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QZEHD0aU0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RizieN posted:

I don't know anyone, except in this thread, that doesn't loving hate Wayne right now.

Wayne is a Human Being. I've done things just as bad or worse than anything Wayne has allegedly done, and so have my best friends in the world. So has my wife. Etc.

Granted, most people, including myself, do that kind of stuff when they're young and stupid, but still.

So I haven't had a copy of Providing Needles For Your Balloons in a long time, but it's on Spotify! Everyone should listen to it. What a great EP. I love "Jets" to pieces and the Smog cover is aces. "Put the Waterbug in the Policeman's Ear" is also a classic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WASDF posted:

The Flaming Lips have always been about love, life and death but I've also been noticing a lot of the more existential and not completely healthy attitudes and thoughts on the subject of death that have come from recent songs. It's affected my life too and it can get me down, but it can also help a lot. I can't imagine Wayne is as happy as he tries to pull off.

The second or third time I listened to Embryonic was with some friends and we got stoned as gently caress and it was really terrifying to listen to. I have no doubt that Wayne's been exposing himself to the Introspective Hell aspect of things like LSD. I've never had a "bad trip" but every trip I've had (aside from Ecstasy and sometimes mushrooms) has had a massive element of self-reflection and "holy poo poo, this is what my life is like". I feel like it's generally always benefited me, but then again, Wayne is older than me by 15 years, and considering how old I feel now I can only imagine what being over 50 might feel like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ajrosales posted:

Just want to poke my head in here and agree that Embryonic is an inspirationally experimental album and everyone should listen it from start to finish - and not while stoned either. It's fearless soundmaking at it's best.

Sorry, it's against my policy to listen to any music sober.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WASDF posted:

Why is Michael Ivins so quiet and in the back for any group interviews I've seen for the 'Lips? I think the only time I've heard him talk is on All We Have Is Now and The Soft Bulettin documentary

If not for the Flaming Lips, he'd be a math teacher. I think that should answer your question.

e: or maybe not, since Gibby Haynes went to law school...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I though Gibby Haynes was an accountant at a good sized firm in Texas for a few years before doing music full time?

You're right. I thought either him or Paul Leary was in law school, Gibby was in accounting, when they formed the Butthole Surfers. Turns out they were both in accounting and yeah, Gibby had graduated by that time.

I seem to recall an interview about how he got fired for using his employers' copy machine to make fliers.

Yo Surfingelectrode, any YouTube vids of Lips/Surfers double bill shows? I know they used to call them "The Flaming Butthole Family Reunion" or something similar.

It's funny that Wayne and Gibby have kind of switched places because Gibby has mellowed the gently caress out and isn't really a massive drug/dicklord anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weirdojace posted:

This stream is great. I hope the released video contains the entire setlist, though.

For those interested, the setlist. Italicized songs are the ones left out.
Sweet Leaf
Worm Mountain
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Tubular Bells
The Ego's Last Stand
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Is David Bowie Dying??
Waitin for a Superman
Pompeii am Gotterdammerung
See the Leaves
Laser Hands
Drug Chart
What is the Light
The Observer
Do You Realize

Wow. I have little to no interest in more than a couple of those songs. That's depressing. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Hell, half the setlist is the same as from 2005.

weirdojace posted:

What?? That's an awesome setlist.

That's a matter of opinion. Some of the songs on it that I like (Superman, Do You Realize) are way played out. Pompeii is a great song, I guess. The rest are either mediocre or just bad (Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, seriously, gently caress that jam).

But it's not like this is a new feeling for me, I've been used to being in the minority opinion of Lips fans for 14 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weirdojace posted:

Well if you take the attitude of "the band shouldn't play their biggest hits at their shows, at all" then I think you're going to be in for massive disappointment, no matter what concert it is.

I'm not telling the band what to play or what not to play, I'm just saying I don't like their recent setlists.

Most bands I see don't play their "biggest hits" though, they tend to just play stuff off their last album or two. Like, Mogwai isn't still playing "Like Herod" and I am totally fine with that.

At least the Lips stopped playing "She Don't Use Jelly", I guess (and I say that as someone who loves that song).

• Locked thread