Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm a fan of Dresden Files, I can't remember at what book I came into the series but it has gripped me.

Since this is pretty much accepted as a discussion thread for any urban fantasy book series, I am looking for something specific. It might though be impossible given the quick skim I've gotten of the availability.

I want to read an urban fantasy that has a woman in the lead and she won't end up in romantic relationship, is not sexually harassed every 5-10 chapters or so, rape is not in her backstory nor is it in the main story and her sex is not used as a weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm a fan of Dresden Files, I can't remember at what book I came into the series but it has gripped me.

Since this is pretty much accepted as a discussion thread for any urban fantasy book series, I am looking for something specific. It might though be impossible given the quick skim I've gotten of the availability.

I want to read an urban fantasy that has a woman in the lead and she won't end up in romantic relationship, is not sexually harassed every 5-10 chapters or so, rape is not in her backstory nor is it in the main story and her sex is not used as a weakness.

Greywalker series. Not a lot of romance crap and what's there isn't front and center. The main character has a very Dresden-like luck with relationships also: it's all bad.

They're pretty mediocre overall, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Iced Cocoa posted:

I wish you luck, sincerely, because I'm not sure such a book exists.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nihilarian posted:

I wish you luck, sincerely, because I'm not sure such a book exists.

*maybe* _The Rook_? More spy than crime fantasy though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Rook would fit, actually. I didn't think of it at all, because the fact that the main character is a woman really isn't lingered upon. There's no constant litany reminding one of the fact.

When it does come up, it's done matter-of-factly.

Bonus: It's actually a drat good book.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 27, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

The Rook would fit, actually. I didn't think of it at all, because the fact that the main character is a woman really isn't lingered upon. There's no constant litany reminding one of the fact.

Is there even an ETA on the sequel besides "it's coming"?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Greywalker series. Not a lot of romance crap and what's there isn't front and center. The main character has a very Dresden-like luck with relationships also: it's all bad.

They're pretty mediocre overall, though.
I have consumed some trash before, so maybe it won't bother me. Amazon link to book favorited for later use.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

Kindle is the worst thing ever when it comes to impulse control.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I have consumed some trash before, so maybe it won't bother me. Amazon link to book favorited for later use.

Greywalker isn't trash, I found it to be written pretty well. The difficulty is there's not much growth of the character and series as it progresses. She's a detective and remains a detective doing her thing, which is cool, but it gets kind of boring and stagnant without any additional power-creep or metaplot.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

For lady lead urban fantasy:
* Box Office Poison - Linnet Ellery
* Parasite - Mira Grant (Leans a bit towards horror over fantasy though.)
* A Potion to Die For - Heather Blake (One off story, the hero can be a little... eh at times.)
* Something More Than Night - Ian Tregillis (Swaps between a male and female lead.)
* Kim Harrison - Hollows Series (This starts to get more and more generic female urban fantasy as it goes on.)
* Three Parts Dead - Max Gladstone (I really recommend this one. It's a one off story following a Woman Magical Lawyer.)
* Three Days to Dead - Kelly Meding (Kinda generic, but opens strongly.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SystemLogoff posted:

* Three Parts Dead - Max Gladstone (I really recommend this one. It's a one off story following a Woman Magical Lawyer.)

Not completely a one off story; Max Gladstone also has Two Serpents Rise in the same world.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the preview pages for War Cry are out and we get to see what outsiders look like.

They are basically Marvel symbiotes. Lots of tentacles, teeth, no eyes, and minimal shapeshifting as they grow more tentacles and teeth

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Chapter 2 of Skin Games posted today.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/skin-game-15/skin-game-chapter-2

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

God dammit why is it so short. Give me more Jim feed me more Dresden.

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...
I'm working my way back through the series in preparation for May, and I noticed something in Summer Knight that I didn't before.

Has anyone caught that, when they were near the table, Lea kisses Harry on the forehead *while she's touching the athame* on her belt?

This readthrough is much more fun post-Cold Days.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

PreacherTom posted:

I'm working my way back through the series in preparation for May, and I noticed something in Summer Knight that I didn't before.

Has anyone caught that, when they were near the table, Lea kisses Harry on the forehead *while she's touching the athame* on her belt?

This readthrough is much more fun post-Cold Days.

If Harry has Nemesis through that it'll end up as a copy of nemesis which he'll christen "Nemmy". It'll then work with him against the original.

That's just how he rolls.

Ps. If you read this Jim, I'll take an ARC of all future releases as payment for the idea.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I hate it how some review sites get piles of books sometimes months in advance - one of the book review sites I read occasionally has this happen in spades - sometimes he writes a glowing review for an interesting book then I realize it's going to be released in like.. a year. He just got a review copy of Skin Game and it's just one book in a pile of like fourty for him, and he's so far behind in the series, he doesn't know when he'll get around to reading it. Give it to me, I'll read it instead! :negative:

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 5, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wolpertinger posted:

Man, I hate it how some review sites get piles of books sometimes months in advance - one of the book review sites I read occasionally has this happen in spades - sometimes he writes a glowing review for an interesting book then I realize it's going to be released in like.. a year. He just got a review copy of Skin Game and it's just one book in a pile of like fourty for him, and he's so far behind in the series, he doesn't know when he'll get around to reading it. Give it to me, I'll read it instead! :negative:

Start a review website of your own, then publishers will send you more books than you can ever read.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

Start a review website of your own, then publishers will send you more books than you can ever read.

Pretty much. A guy I know did this for traditional games and now he's swimming in board, miniature, and role play game systems.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just burned through this series in a month. Skin Game needs to be here now. I feel cold and empty inside.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

smertrioslol posted:

Just burned through this series in a month. Skin Game needs to be here now. I feel cold and empty inside.

A new victim? One of us, one of us!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

smertrioslol posted:

This should tide you over for a bit.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, definitely a good one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is the double entendre in the post deliberate? Because it is glorious.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Doing a small Dresden reread in anticipation for Skin Game. Started with Small Favor and finished Turn Coat last night. In the latter book, during Morgan's trial, presumably everything is done in Latin? Are we just assuming Harry finally took more Latin classes and so did Molly? I don't think I remember much on that front besides the first council meeting when Harry needed McCoy to translate for him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

Doing a small Dresden reread in anticipation for Skin Game. Started with Small Favor and finished Turn Coat last night. In the latter book, during Morgan's trial, presumably everything is done in Latin? Are we just assuming Harry finally took more Latin classes and so did Molly? I don't think I remember much on that front besides the first council meeting when Harry needed McCoy to translate for him.

It's accounted for,

Jim Bucheter posted:

I put my hand on Mouse’s head and waited for the show to begin—because that’s all this was. A show.

Two more Wardens appeared with a bound figure between them. Morgan was brought in and stood as all accused brought before the Council did—with his hands bound in front of him and a black hood over his head. He wasn’t in any shape to be walking, the idiot, but he was managing to limp heavily along without being physically supported by either Warden. He must have been on a load of painkillers to manage it.

The Merlin, speaking in Latin, said, “We have convened today on a matter of justice, to try one Donald Morgan, who stands accused of the premeditated murder of Senior Council Member Aleron LaFortier, conspiracy with the enemies of the White Council, and treason against the White Council. We will begin with a review of the evidence.”

A bit later,

Jim Butcher posted:

I beamed at him. “I feel just like Hercule Poirot,” I said, in my reasonably functional Latin. “Let me enjoy this for a second.” I took a deep breath and exhaled in satisfaction.

A couple other books make mention of Harry's steadily improving Latin. As for Molly it can be assumed she either learned a bit, or has no idea what's being said and Harry is too busy to care.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
What declension is "Poirot"?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Poopy Palpy posted:

What declension is "Poirot"?

Accusative, obviously.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Would depend on the gender of Poirot, wouldn't it?

I doubt Harry cared, he probably just dropped the name without considering proper grammar.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

How do you even pronounce Poirot?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Thunderfinger posted:

How do you even pronounce Poirot?

Very similar to how you pronounce 'Pyro'. Poy-ro.

Which means Harry undoubtedly said Py-rot. :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zore posted:

Very similar to how you pronounce 'Pyro'. Poy-ro.

Which means Harry undoubtedly said Py-rot. :v:

As an avid reader I'm sure Dresden knows how to pronounce the name of one of fiction's greatest detectives.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Skippy McPants posted:

As an avid reader I'm sure Dresden knows how to pronounce the name of one of fiction's greatest detectives.

Or not, as an avid reader I can't tell you how many times in my life I've tried to use a word that I've only ever seen in print, and never heard, only to get the wierdest looks when I gently caress up the pronunciation.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Especially names. God have I hosed up names.

I just finished rereading Cold Days. Skin Games cannot come soon enough.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is the double entendre in the post deliberate? Because it is glorious.

No :( I'm only clever by happenstance.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Or not, as an avid reader I can't tell you how many times in my life I've tried to use a word that I've only ever seen in print, and never heard, only to get the wierdest looks when I gently caress up the pronunciation.

Hah! Fair point.

Fellwenner posted:

No :( I'm only clever by happenstance.

Darn, well done in any case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Chapter 3 of Skin Game is up.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Don't worry, Harry. Taunting big bads is an endearing character trait. Maybe. Sorta. You'll get over the guilt eventually.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Holy poo poo :stare: Harry you're hosed now.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Tulul posted:

Accusative, obviously.
You are a terrible and wrong person because accusative is a case and not a declension.

Skippy McPants posted:

Would depend on the gender of Poirot, wouldn't it?
You're not much better because gender is only a mild determinant for the first two declensions and has essentially no impact on the other three.

The best analogy is to nepos/nepot-, so Poirot would likely be third declension. Also by third being the default dumping ground for every mildly odd noun.

pre:
Poiros     Poirotes
Poiros     Poirotes
Poirotem   Poirotes
Poirotis   Poirotum
Poiroti    Poirotis
Poirote    Poirotis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica