Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah black steelies are cool. Black alloy rims / non-steelie designs are generally :barf: though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just come across this outside a local pub.

Super clean, no rust, looked to be all original resto or just well kept.

Then was let down by the early 20's hipster that climbed in it with a 70's tash, hawaiian shirt under a sports jacket with an unlit, half smoked cigarette hanging out his mouth. He looked like a cosplay of 70's british TV.

But still, at least the car was neat.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

Pontaic made some ugly as gently caress wheels in the 90s in the three spoke vein.

Observe:

Anyone who disagrees can suck a male camel's dick with miracle whip.

I bet I could make these look pretty rad on an 80s or 90s boxy Japanese economy car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

Gorgeous. Probably can't even call those spokes so no prob from the anti 3 spoke crowd

those are spokes, there are just 6 of them :colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
10 spokes with a nice concave is my jam.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of steelies, one of my girlfriend's cousins arrived in this beauty to a small family gathering today.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Nah, sod your Shiney steelies, Rusty steels is where its at*

*and rusty sills, floorpans, wings, bonnet,roof etc :( ....

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a beauty, nothing to be ashamed of.

Well-used basic 80s/90s hatchbacks are the best cars, so many stories to tell.

Down here in Germany, I get completely inundated with fancy new Mercedes', VWs, Audis and so on. One car that seriously caught my eye was a faded green K11 Micra on steelies, I bet that car had seen some adventures.

E: I really should have snapped a photo, it was gorgeous.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 19, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

xzzy posted:

That's what my first car had. Mitsubishi mighty max 4x4 with those white steel rims every trailer in the world uses. I think everyone is obligated to fall in love with their first car so I'm not exactly impartial but I dug it.

This logic doesn't work for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Anghammarad posted:

Nah, sod your Shiney steelies, Rusty steels is where its at*

*and rusty sills, floorpans, wings, bonnet,roof etc :( ....
Please keep this car exactly as it is, but with a 1.8 turbo swap

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

InitialDave posted:

Please keep this car exactly as it is, but with a 1.8 turbo swap

you can't see it, but the bumper at 3 oclock of that picture belongs to my R75 daily driver that only has 2 months MOT left...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah black steelies are cool. Black alloy rims / non-steelie designs are generally :barf: though.

They look suitably trashy on my trash car

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BigPaddy posted:

Those are cool as gently caress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:shuckyes:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Where have you been old man? That owns hard.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
i vividly remember the used one pops bought mom because not only did it make obnoxiously large plumes of blue oily smoke but the transmission had trouble engaging 1st gear letting the motor rev freely before abruptly catching, squealing the tires and jerking the whole van into gear. also the interior was a sea of red

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

stone soup posted:

i vividly remember the used one pops bought mom because not only did it make obnoxiously large plumes of blue oily smoke but the transmission had trouble engaging 1st gear letting the motor rev freely before abruptly catching, squealing the tires and jerking the whole van into gear. also the interior was a sea of red

Another flawless new car experience at McFuckles Chrysler Plymouth Dodge!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Man you black steelies crew would lose your minds for 6 straight months over here where literally every car wears them all winter. And most of spring. (unless you're a mister moneybags who buys a second set of alloys for your winter tires)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Man you black steelies crew would lose your minds for 6 straight months over here where literally every car wears them all winter. And most of spring. (unless you're a mister moneybags who buys a second set of alloys for your winter tires)

The true cause of seasonal affective disorder is uncovered.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, they do this here too and it looks so much better than whatever gaudy alloys they normally use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I couldn't find cheap steelies for my BMW, so I got a set of alloys from the junkyard for my winter tires. I miss the steelies I had on my VW. :smith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

My winter wheels are actually nicer than the summer ones. A few years back I bought a set of used OEM Enkei wheels for the winter which were resprayed in body color, while my original summer wheels have a bunch of curb rash and are slowly corroding and losing paint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have steelies for winters on the Panda, and to cover the hub nut I replicated an OG Panda 4x4 centre with my 3D printer so it looks a bit neater.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Speaking of steelies, just passed this in town

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

KozmoNaut posted:

I will accept white steelies as well, especially on hot hatches and boxy 4x4s.

Yeah this isn't what I'd called pretty, but for functional aesthetic you can't go past this sort of poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As Nero Danced posted:

Speaking of steelies, just passed this in town

Its pretty hard to beat rallye wheels and redline tires. Nearly impossible, actually.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Collateral Damage posted:

This is the correct amount of spokes.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the one bent spoke.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Some of y'all don't get that wheels are only get better as they get weirder. Breaking the conventional aesthetic = cool as long as they aren't going to explode on a pothole. I think 3 and 4 spoke patterns are cool because they're a 90s Japanese retro aesthetic. Just like how we all get boners out of the weird 80s interiors that reflect that everything was lasers and segment displays.

That said, 5 spoke is a boomer aesthetic. Fight me.

You are now my bitter forums enemy. I will defeat you.

Also, fifteen52 makes killer 5 spoke wheels that manage not to look like boomer bait. :colbert:

https://fifteen52.com/collections/cast-wheels/products/copy-of-turbomac-hd-classic?variant=14352907108418
https://fifteen52.com/collections/cast-wheels/products/fifteen52-tarmac-asphaltblack?variant=30546725601346

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That second set it one of my faves of all time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I have yet to see a car the turbomac actually looks good on. The second wheel is just a RUF Speedline copy without a lip.

I can't believe you didn't post a 288 GTO Modenas in an argument for 5 spokes.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 20, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gold 5 spoke coffins for the win.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Also a good number of spokes:

5 spokes are like the silver paint of wheels.

We agrees!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Rusty steelies and snow tires in the summer?? Somebody’s been peeking in my garage.

Funny you are all arguing over the correct amount of spokes on a wheel when the best spokes is no spokes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Modus Man posted:

Rusty steelies and snow tires in the summer?? Somebody’s been peeking in my garage.

Funny you are all arguing over the correct amount of spokes on a wheel when the best spokes is no spokes.

You’re not wrong.

But you’re also very, very wrong.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBibFdMIRU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who could have guessed that weight matters in a battle with gravity!

Videos of giant trucks failing that climb is a good way to waste a lunch break.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
One more vote for painted steelies, and a separate vote for pickup trucks of a perfectly adequate size.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also one vote for painted steel under factory center covers. And one separate vote for trucks of a ridiculous size.

But as you can see, I really use my towing mirrors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

dpack_1 posted:

How many miles before you need to replace the apex seals on those rims?

At least 100k+ if you don't boost it.

I'm late to the party:

Although 1) the 17" version with round holes looks better:

(edit: not mine)

and 2) I have 18" Mustang GT wheels on it now:

edit: black, shiny wheels are hard to photograph outdoors.

xzzy posted:

That's what my first car had. Mitsubishi mighty max 4x4 with those white steel rims every trailer in the world uses. I think everyone is obligated to fall in love with their first car so I'm not exactly impartial but I dug it.

My first car was a 1978 Fiat 128 Sedan. In the US, in 1987.
I have never seen another one, much less wanted one.

edit: though I did imagine what it would look like with a little more aggressive stance and tire/wheel package when I owned it.

Also, it was 1985, not '87, apparently.

BigPaddy posted:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Those are cool as gently caress.

Those style rims are great budget wide wheels. I was considering those for my Cutlass until I lucked into a set of 17" Torq-Thrust IIs with tires and peeling chrome... Not sure what to do about that.

I unironically want one of those for truck-like things at speed. My grandparents had one (yes, the turbo!) and no one told me when they sold it. :(

NoWake posted:

One more vote for painted steelies, and a separate vote for pickup trucks of a perfectly adequate size.

Well, I mean, it's not like the "small" truck is really any smaller...

angryrobots posted:

Also one vote for painted steel under factory center covers. And one separate vote for trucks of a ridiculous size.

But as you can see, I really use my towing mirrors.

Big-rear end trucks are fine if they actually tow and haul stuff.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
white steelies always look good on white trucks. mine are rarely “white” though