Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Darchangel posted:

I don't think the R3 is quite that big, but basically nothing can be that small any more.

I saw a comparison post between it and the old Rabbit, so I looked up the numbers:

It’s less than 12 inches longer and less than 6 inches taller than the old rabbit, which really isn’t that much. It’s actually 6 inches shorter than the current Golf, and only an inch or so taller, so totally comparable with other modern models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AirRaid posted:

I saw a comparison post between it and the old Rabbit, so I looked up the numbers:

It’s less than 12 inches longer and less than 6 inches taller than the old rabbit, which really isn’t that much. It’s actually 6 inches shorter than the current Golf, and only an inch or so taller, so totally comparable with other modern models.

That's what I thought. That, I would drive, if I could afford new car prices.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AirRaid posted:

that's remarkably small for a new car

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

AirRaid posted:

No poo poo? Yeah this might be a real contender for replacing the spouse’s Alltrack some day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AirRaid posted:

I hope it sells well in America, but that's a shot across the bow of the European market. That form factor, that familiarity, they'll sell every one they can build there. If they can bring them to market there.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i've never wanted an EV until that pic was posted

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What mileage are they suggesting for a car (and battery) that small? Or are they being intentionally vague about that bit knowing most people think they drive a thousand miles a day and just hoping people will order anyway because it's cute?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Finger Prince posted:

I hope it sells well in America, but that's a shot across the bow of the European market. That form factor, that familiarity, they'll sell every one they can build there. If they can bring them to market there.

quote:

“Both models are designed at their core for both the US and Europe. We haven't said specifically when they come to Europe, we should and we need to, but we recognise how appealing they are in the European market and especially R3 really fits.”

They're claiming 2027 in the US.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What mileage are they suggesting for a car (and battery) that small? Or are they being intentionally vague about that bit knowing most people think they drive a thousand miles a day and just hoping people will order anyway because it's cute?

quote:

Rivian says the top-range R3 will have more than 300 miles of range. The R3 will use new, energy-dense “4695” battery cells. Rivian says it will charge from 10-80 percent in less than 30 minutes on a DC fast charger.

Unclear if that is in single, dual or tri-motor config. That's about the same as what Hyundai claims is the max range of the similarly sized Ionic 5.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

Aye, they really nailed the styling. I’m not a fan of the wheels but the car itself looks awesome.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like it too

Until i turn it around

those headlights, eurgh

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like it too

Until i turn it around

those headlights, eurgh

yeah im with you on that. if they were slightly more retro styled id be down, but unlikely since rivian seems to make the lights part of the branding.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I like it too

Until i turn it around

those headlights, eurgh

It's so close to being cute. I don't know how to fix it, but I know it's wrong

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don’t love Rivian’s trademark headlights but I think it does look better on a smaller vehicle.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Door Frame posted:

exactly my feeling on it.
Im not sure if its the rest of the car or the spacing is too narrow or if theyre not round enough.

e: Its noncommittal is what it is. just slapped on to have the corporate face.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 13, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

not round enough.

its this for me. if they did the same front end but with circular headlights id be all about it even with the weird light bar

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The Door Frame posted:

It obviously needs that orange color on the wheels and on the front bumper attachment thingie to look cute.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like the headlights. They make it look like a car from the mushroom kingdom where everything has eyes. I'm not a huge fan of that white bar, though.

Maybe it needs the inset part of the bumper to have more contrast so it looks like a mouth.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Large Testicles posted:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

needs frog

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I like it too

Until i turn it around

those headlights, eurgh

It's the rear light bar that sucks harder imo.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's the rear light bar that sucks harder imo.

flippin’ heckbende

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

flippin’ heckbende

Years ago I wanted them to come back but every single one has sucked and looked shittier than what we used to have so I'm bored of them now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Before you all get too excited about the R3, lovely door handles and techbro interior controls.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Before you all get too excited about the R3, lovely door handles and techbro interior controls.

So, same as every new car then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

So, same as every new car then.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I like the headlights. They make it look like a car from the mushroom kingdom where everything has eyes. I'm not a huge fan of that white bar, though.

Maybe it needs the inset part of the bumper to have more contrast so it looks like a mouth.

It's like the Dodge Neon when it was brand new.

I still remember the billboards. It was like "Hi :)"

e:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It needs a Miata or Bugeye Sprite smile

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

joat mon posted:

It needs a Miata or Bugeye Sprite smile

:hmmyes:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 15, 2024

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Absolutely ludicrous thing, this. Possibly some eccentric old boy's lifetime work because there's some very... inventive... use of air lines and belts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExrENr8C9TI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“Kiiiilll meeeeeeee”

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/sEh5HHN.mp4

Posting it here because it's free nuts

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Absolutely ludicrous thing, this. Possibly some eccentric old boy's lifetime work because there's some very... inventive... use of air lines and belts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExrENr8C9TI

OK, I'm like 14 minutes in, and WTF.
You were not kidding. That's and impressive number of levers, lines, hoses, bits, and bobs.
Air door locks? Some sort of actuator or shock on the driver's door. Supplemental air ride. Who knows what else.

Jensen Interceptor engine just means a Chrysler 318, right? Pretty sure that's Carter AFB or Thermoquad on top. Looks right and starter sounds Chrysler.
Fake edit: he just took the starter off, and yep, Chrysler.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

Jensen Interceptor engine just means a Chrysler 318, right? Pretty sure that's Carter AFB or Thermoquad on top. Looks right and starter sounds Chrysler.
Fake edit: he just took the starter off, and yep, Chrysler.

383 or 440 in the Interceptor, depending on the year.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

https://twing-raid.com/

Renault Twingo Rally Raid through Morocco.
If this doesn't qualify as awesome, I don't know what does.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

drat, that looks like a good time!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

McTinkerson posted:

The explosion of rally raid series in Morocco might hopefully one day lead for Dakar to move away from Saudi Arabia, also I remember the twingo HVAC to be very asthmatic so it might be a tad miserable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks fun, especially considering some of the engineering decisions on the Twingo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxR1BvDgpjU

and unlike the Mongol rally at least the entrance fee gets you some services in return.

SlowBloke posted:

The explosion of rally raid series in Morocco might hopefully one day lead for Dakar to move away from Saudi Arabia, also I remember the twingo HVAC to be very asthmatic so it might be a tad miserable.
That seems like an inherent part of the experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

383 or 440 in the Interceptor, depending on the year.

Oh, nice!