Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Happy Hachi Roku Day, AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

This lives down the block from me, apparently.

That is gorgeous, and I love the bumper stickers.

Pictures from yesterday's track day at BIR. The SLS AMG was in the intermediate group (look at those front rotors!). The Aston was in the beginner group with me. The M3 is owned by one of the instructors.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I love this guy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ColdPie posted:

Pictures from yesterday's track day at BIR. The SLS AMG was in the intermediate group (look at those front rotors!). The Aston was in the beginner group with me. The M3 is owned by one of the instructors.

Are those 22" wheels full of brake rotor?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, it's probably in better condition than it left the factory in (at least on the outside - I haven't actually seen the owner when I've seen it out to get a look in the engine bay).

Fourstar
Oct 18, 2012

ColdPie posted:

The yellow lotus in the background is really something as well. One of the instructors owns it and spent something like 17 months hand building the widebody--it's incredibly wide although the picture doesn't show it. Apparently it's an animal on track

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pqook2uM5U

Fourstar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 6, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

davebo posted:

The Stealth may have done it first, but I can't see that horrible spoiler and not think Pontiac Sunfire. Which I won't post here because it does not belong in this thread.

Edit: alright I'll just link it so you can torture yourselves.

real hard to find a picture of the smaller one

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Spotted on my grocery run just now, probably one of the better stickers I've seen.

Edit: re-uploaded picture to imgur

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 8, 2013

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Are those 22" wheels full of brake rotor?

19" up front, with the carbon ceramic brake option ;)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Boomerjinks posted:

Happy Hachi Roku Day, AI.

And vaguely related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD7OBAO8k2s

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 7, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is so awesome.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I was (mostly) right:

Wikipedia posted:

The studio was unable to use the real Pontiac Banshee IV concept car for the movie, so instead it hired Jay Ohrberg Star Cars Inc. to customize a 1991 Dodge Stealth for the Knight 4000.[4] The custom car can also be seen, albeit briefly, as a stolen supercar in CHiPs '99,[5] and as a future police vehicle in Power Rangers Time Force.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I went for a trip to the seaside (Cornwall) for a few days over the weekend. I saw absolutely nothing of interest on the roads down there at all, there were a million VW campers of varying vintages of which a good 60% were broken down by the side of the road with the engine bay open and owners sat staring teary-eyed in defeat while their girlfriends/wives sat in the things looking mightily pissed off.

Anyway I found this Mercedes 300 in the car park of a tiny little village on the coast about 100m from a couple of pirate ships in dock. It was in pretty good condition, obviously well loved.

I also saw this amazing hearse but failed to get a picture of it. :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Spotted on my grocery run just now, probably one of the better stickers I've seen.

I can imagine this being some dentist's wife's car, and that he put that on there because he is oh so proud. I hope that isn't the case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

I can imagine this being some dentist's wife's car, and that he put that on there because he is oh so proud. I hope that isn't the case.

If it is you know that the Porsche in question is a 5 year old non-s Boxster.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Went to the NHMS Vintage road race event over the weekend. Saw some cool stuff.

2000GT! Gorgeous car. Didn't they make only like 100 of these?

Lots of nice old 911s.

XKE.

RX-3? RX-4?

Dunno what this was but it seemed to be winning.

But that's all from the other side of the show. Here's the best one from my side. Bike side.

Appropriate name, because the monkey (passenger) on this rig is like a 6'2" 250lb guy. Most of the monkeys are 120lb women. I dunno how he moves around fast enough, but it must be working, because Mr. Nasty won.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Motronic posted:

If it is you know that the Porsche in question is a 5 year old non-s Boxster.

I feel as if this would be the most correct answer! Also spotted today on another grocery run today;

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's in Lynnwood right?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Can-Am Mclaren, the best poo-making-come-out car available until the 917/30.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Saw a BMW Alpina B7 this morning, never seen one before:

(click for huge)

Some old rich guy was driving it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cleaning up my imgur, when I remembered that some guy in my NG unit has a really nice Continental. I don't know how to identify the years...

Also, I think the plate is awful, but it's not my car so...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I got this DVD which has onboard footage of Fangio drifting a Maserati around some test circuit, among other awesome things:

http://www.amazon.com/50-Years-Formula-On-Board/dp/B000CBXGP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375987127&sr=8-2

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wasabi the J posted:

Cleaning up my imgur, when I remembered that some guy in my NG unit has a really nice Continental. I don't know how to identify the years...

Also, I think the plate is awful, but it's not my car so...

That front grill was '62 only.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Knobjockey posted:

Can-Am Mclaren, the best poo-making-come-out car available until the 917/30.

That's an early McLaren, you're thinking of this one...

...the M8F. The whole M8 lineup was pretty bonkers, and the following M20 was insane, but the M20 was the 917/30's competition and we know how that ended up.

The previous one pictured I'm not sure which variant it is, but would have "only" had a Chevy V8 pumping out 600+ horsepower. It wasn't until the M8's came out that those and other Can-Am types of the era were approaching and exceeding 1,000hp on the regular.

e- the first pictured was the M1A or B, not positive which. Modified Elva chassis, with a small block Chevy. The M8/M12/M20 all used McLaren chassis with aluminum big block ZL-1 Chevy monsters. This was the engine found in the COPO Camaros of the late 60's, and where the current Camaro ZL-1 got its name from.

Bruce McLaren was killed in an M8D, which was similar to the -F but did not have the large rear spoiler yet. IIRC, the whale tail was a direct result of his death, adding some high speed stability to a coffin with wheels.

e2- the whole Can-Am history is great, because outside of Porsche it answered the question of "what happens when we stuff cutting edge drag race engines into unrestricted Le Mans car chassis". A question that really didn't need to be asked, yet who wouldn't want to see a 8,000hp nitro breathing Peugeot today?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 8, 2013

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

BraveUlysses posted:

That's in Lynnwood right?

Sure is. I haven't seen that particular car around this area before either, don't know how often it gets out and about. Usually get to see a decent spread of classics around here with all that Boeing money flowing through Everett/Lynnwood.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That is a 1965 McLaren-Chevrolet M18 Can-Am car.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

:allears:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Went to the NHMS Vintage road race event over the weekend. Saw some cool stuff.

RX-3? RX-4?

It's an RX-3

From the Lime Rock Historic last year:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

The shots of the EB110 engine bay was amazing. I love watching the throttle bodies move.
More footage in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcxFr2Jwi2E

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

So I got to spend last weekend in car heaven.... (mods, if this post is too long, let me know and I will break it up)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dandaman posted:

So I got to spend last weekend in car heaven.... (mods, if this post is too long, let me know and I will break it up)

What kind of car is this?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's a Shelby Series 1.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That Mazda 6! Uuuuuuhhhhnnnfffff

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

dandaman posted:

:gizz:

Where the hell was this? Thanks for sharing. Amazing cars and photos.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, I think?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I call dibs on all of that gently caress all of you I saw it first.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That Mazda 6! Uuuuuuhhhhnnnfffff

Seriously. Sedan racers are so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

sofullofhate posted:

:gizz:

Where the hell was this? Thanks for sharing. Amazing cars and photos.

No problem. I knew this group would appreciate it as much as I did.

It's a race shop in Miami. The 458 that's outside was being put into a trailer to be taken to Lime Rock for this weekend I think.

That old Indy car is what I was most interested in but it was buried behind all the other stuff.