Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Yeah just kind of strikes me like a fox with a lovely 90s body kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sadi posted:

And 600bhp.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

Sadi posted:

All I see is "Holden".

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
This is probably the first commercial I've watched intently in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6HUFm6FKD4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe I'm an idiot but I fail to see the connection between some fancy engine oil and towing power.

It's a fun contest, though the editing is pretty sketchy and leaves me thinking the actual results aren't what they showed in the video. Once the truck's tires started sliding it should have been game over, right?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

And 600bhp.

And a twin-supercharged V8

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

InitialDave posted:

And 600bhp.

Was it this one that also had nearly a newton-kilometer of torque?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot but I fail to see the connection between some fancy engine oil and towing power.

It's a fun contest, though the editing is pretty sketchy and leaves me thinking the actual results aren't what they showed in the video. Once the truck's tires started sliding it should have been game over, right?

I loved it since it's such a contrast to the usual bro-dozer parking lot truck pulls. Hardhats! Safety disconnects! Instrumentation! Nobody in that video was even related!

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 10, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Running at higher load breaks oil down quicker. When your oil change involves 35-40 liters, you really don't want to have to change oil every 10,000 miles.

The editing is obviously to make it interesting, because that was nowhere near a contest. If it was a hard pull for the truck he could have gotten the front end 2 feet off the ground. It probably seemed more interesting on paper, and once they actually did it they realized it boring as poo poo, so added :siren:explosives:siren: and :siren:tires skidding:siren: to make a commercial out of it

If you want awesome commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vou06vXqR2s

The name of the video spoils the suprise start because articcat's youtube channel is run by baboons, but it got a good laugh out of me when i saw it on tv. I just noticed the disclaimer, that's awesome too.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

xzzy posted:

I gathered that the point was to show that that truck runs that oil exclusively and after towing a bunch of semis it can still pull a loving tug. Although I dont think that tug was anything special since real beast tugs are like 6000+ Hp with 100 hp winches.

Guess the Nautical thread got lost in the archives or something.
But heres a pretty good tug boat read.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/extreme-machines/4346840

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 10, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Eagle Speedster's glorious intake:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
trying to figure out what engine that is

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Valve covers look like Jag.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Raluek posted:

Valve covers look like Jag.

Jag 6 stroked/bored to 4.7 liters.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Raluek posted:

Valve covers look like a Jaaaaaaag.

Fixed that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is in this month's issue of Hot Rod, but the website is pretty great.

"Eh, that's a pretty big tractor alright," I hear you say. "Might even be the world's largest."

You shuffle your feet and then look up at me, eyes pleading for more detail. "But why are you telling me about it?"

Well, it has a 900 horsepower twin turbocharged and twin supercharged 24L 16-cylinder two-stroke Detroit Diesel with custom-made tires.

It can do more than one acre a minute, at speeds up to 8 mph. That's because it produces a pants-on-head-retarded 3100 ft-lb of torque.

Also it has an eight-track player.

http://www.williamsbigbud.com/

http://www.vincelewis.net/bigbud.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's it? only 2 superchargers?

Big mike harrah's thor has 3400hp, over 5000 ft/lbs of torque, all from a little tiny duodecuple-supercharged 1,704 cubic inch V24 two stroke diesel.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

duodecuple-supercharged 1,704 cubic inch V24 two stroke diesel.

That's right, talk dirty to me

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It can do more than one acre a minute, at speeds up to 8 mph. That's because it produces a pants-on-head-retarded 3100 ft-lb of torque.

Come back when it's measured in mile-pounds. :colbert:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

InitialDave posted:

The nineties Virage-based V8 Vantage was always my favourite. Such a ridiculous thug of a car.

drat, how did I never know about this?

CornHolio posted:

And a twin-supercharged V8

:stare:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I love this car:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

A length of inner tube on the tailpipe gives either a "worlds largest angriest whoopie cushion" or "someone is torturing a duck" effect, depending on the length of inner tube used. There are some really good youtube videos for this, too.

Oh, I have got to try this.

atomicthumbs posted:

found this while browsing Turbobricks and it's too batshit not to share. This is a Volvo B21 with some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5Uiy1pE7Q

That is an awesome Volvo. I love turbobricks.

In the related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol8bzv-894&t=135s

and the auction for it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291321908312?forcerRptr=true&item=291321908312&viewitem=

It's in Conroe, TX, and that's not too far away from me...
Sadly, I barely have $25, much less $2500 right now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So the new new trailer for Mad Max Fury Road is out and man it looks reallllllllly loving cool.

They've captured the feel of the originals nicely with regard to the ridiculous vehicles...

http://youtu.be/YWNWi-ZWL3c

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 10, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is Michael Bay making it? That's a lot of blue and orange.

The car looks goddamn amazing though. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to sit in a shop and be asked to decorate cars for a Mad Max movie.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

xzzy posted:

It's being done by George Miller, the guy who did the original three.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That wall of sound looks straight out of Dethlok

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Haha it looks awesome as gently caress but the audio engineer in me is going "Oh gently caress that would sound straight up terrible in every way".

I need to see this film because that Caddy monster truck thing is just outrageous.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Memento posted:

Was it this one that also had nearly a newton-kilometer of torque?
Almost, only managed a half-mile I'm afraid. 820N.m, which is 600 real torques.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Is posting Xzibit memes still bannable because

e: Holy o'gently caress, they widened the lower shell and made a custom windscreen for it even

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

This looks like something I would've made with Lego when I was 8 or 9. I love it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:haw::fh:

I would drive this everywhere.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A swede posted:

Hi, where unsure if I should post a project thread, but gusfd3s here pushed me :)

I'm trying to build a car the way I want.
The car is an Volvo 142 -73. They are rather common i Sweden, but all of them are piston-engineed.
It started with a simple 4-link-build. But now it all has got out of hands...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh god yes. That e-shaft looks like a piece of art (and has a proper 1-3-4-2 firing order, instead of 1-3-2-4 like most of em are).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My first thought when he said it wasn't going to be piston powered was that he was going to stuff a turbine in it, which would have been equally awesome.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm trying to figure this out. It's a solid axle? But the watts link is connected to both the axle tube and the diff cover? What exactly is that going to accomplish?

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Fucknag posted:

I'm trying to figure this out. It's a solid axle? But the watts link is connected to both the axle tube and the diff cover? What exactly is that going to accomplish?

I thought the same thing, but the middle of the linkage is meant to mount to the frame behind the axle. It just looks like it's attached to the diff cover.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Looks like a modified version of this contraption:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 11, 2014

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

rscott posted:

That wall of sound looks straight out of Dethlok

At 1:44 there's a guy playing guitar on it mid chase hahah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

That's a really common look/color grade in a lot of Hollywood movies these days. Not sure if there's a specific reason for it other than those end up on opposite ends of the color temperature spectrum. Tungsten=3200K which appears orange, daylight=5600K which appears as white normally, but if the camera white balance is toward a 'warmer' color temp(warm as in the feel of the light, not warm as in Kelvin), it reads as blue.