Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

It's safe to mod the daily if you have something else to drive in the mean time.

Well, yes, but I need to sell the something else, to focus on a different something else, possibly two, so I'd better not (lowered springs and louder mufflers! No! Get thee behind me!)

(How hard is it to put a manual in a Crown Vic?)

edit: Hmmmm...

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1758640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PgNDNamCMY

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Darchangel posted:

My S5 RX-7 actually does have a dual-length intake manifold. there's a barrel valve that switches the path at a certain RPM. Doesn't do as much on mine as it should, because my auxiliary ports (think VTEC, insofar as the ports provide more advanced intake timing and larger volume) are stuck closed.

This is also how Mazda was able to squeeze 180rwhp (~230bhp) out of the 13B-MSP in the RX-8. Adding a CAI looses you HP/does nothing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

My S5 RX-7 actually does have a dual-length intake manifold. there's a barrel valve that switches the path at a certain RPM. Doesn't do as much on mine as it should, because my auxiliary ports (think VTEC, insofar as the ports provide more advanced intake timing and larger volume) are stuck closed.

You should fix that poo poo because stuck ports totally suck on an FC. I remember driving my buddy's before and after we got his fifth port unstuck. Even with the sixth port still stuck it woke that little bastard up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

While you have it all apart, there are other things you can swap out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_hp4XecwI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are too many injectors!

Just what i've always wanted, a crown vic with bottom end oiling issues.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Adding semi-recent vehicles to the intake manifold chat, the SVT Focus had a dual-stage intake manifold.

Now that I think about it I should start trawling the local salvage yards for a wrecked SVT - the intake swap is pretty much bolt off/on with the addition of a servo and RPM window switch to kick the runners over above 4k RPM.

Other fun fact about the SVT Focus was its airbox had better flow characteristics with a drop-in panel filter than virtually every other cold air/short ram intake on the market

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any reason why no one hasn't just made an intake runner with what looks like a trombone slide to change the length? Then you don't need multiple paths or dummy tubes or individual throttle bodies and you get infinite variability.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

um excuse me posted:

Is there any reason why no one hasn't just made an intake runner with what looks like a trombone slide to change the length? Then you don't need multiple paths or dummy tubes or individual throttle bodies and you get infinite variability.

Just imagine chasing the vacuum leaks.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

um excuse me posted:

Before someone beats me to it, been done at least by Mazda on the R26B engines on the 787B. Not street use though. ;)

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Actually someone has!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZW31F7McY

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The LS and LT motors laugh in the face of fancy dohc motors. :colbert:

Edit: Also holy gently caress, why would anyone willingly buy a 3 valve mod motor? When there are over $1000 in tools just for all the different ways you can have a spark plug change gently caress up, thats the point I say no.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I'm really not used to seeing a sedan like that. RIP, body-on-frame cars.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Those are individual throttle bodies. The tubes extend and contract with rpm. In the world of production cars this can't exist because of emissions equipment and at filter boxes.

Imagine trombone for a moment. The mouthpiece and horn start in the same location as the length of the instrument changes. This design incorporated into the intake of a car would allow one end to attach to the engine, and the other to be in a fixed location to allow things like an airbox to be mounted for production vehicles. Heck you could change the location of the port injection using a similar technique.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some cars (BMW is the one I'm aware of) come with factory ITBs mounted inside of a large airbox, with a large enough filter/primary intake that the pressure inside it is essentially ambient. You could use a system like in the video with that setup.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Only the Ms

And im only 100% on the e39 m5's v8

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Only the Ms

And im only 100% on the e39 m5's v8

The next m5 had it as well iirc.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im sure most n/a M cars had them but thats the only im absolutely sure on.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im sure most n/a M cars had them but thats the only im absolutely sure on.

I'm quite sure all N/A M cars have ITBs and there are quite a few other high performance oriented N/A engines with them as well.

Flap based variable length inlets have been commonly used for 20 years in everyday cars. The sliding concentric trumpets are generally only used racing applications, probably because of complexity, reliability and cost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...except the poo poo S50B32 and S52B32.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

...except the poo poo S50B32 and S52B32.

Yeah, not counting the US versions.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Nismo tv (YouTube channel) is going to stream the Bathurst 12 hour starting at 1:00.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

Nismo tv (YouTube channel) is going to stream the Bathurst 12 hour starting at 1:00.

It's already been on for an hour, duder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLdnnjC0q4

Some douchebag parked an audi across the track so it's been under yellow for a bunch.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

True but better late than never.

Rip tow hooks.

Neat that they start in the dark.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

True but better late than never.

Rip tow hooks.

Neat that they start in the dark.

There's a thread for it here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806812&pagenumber=8#lastpost

There's currently a mclaren driving around shooting red hot metal chunks out of the ehxaust

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Powershift posted:

There's a thread for it here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806812&pagenumber=8#lastpost

There's currently a mclaren driving around shooting red hot metal chunks out of the ehxaust

Awesome thanks!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
BMW actually had a continuously variable intake on their N52 V8s, called "DIVA". I think it only ever wound up on that motor.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Crustashio posted:

BMW actually had a continuously variable intake on their N52 V8s, called "DIVA". I think it only ever wound up on that motor.

Mercedes did it in 1954 on the 300SL.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

That.... is a thing. Wow.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The closed cockpit of the KTM X-Bow racecar, the only one in the Bathurst 12h, just had its roof clamshell open and blind its driver. Good race this year.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

It's already been on for an hour, duder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLdnnjC0q4

Some douchebag parked an audi across the track so it's been under yellow for a bunch.

God drat those AMGs sound good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

And dem mid-engined 911s. Ha is that even a 911? That sounds weird "mid-engined 911." Nice try, Cayman, I see you.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Those are individual throttle bodies. The tubes extend and contract with rpm. In the world of production cars this can't exist because of emissions equipment and at filter boxes.

Imagine trombone for a moment. The mouthpiece and horn start in the same location as the length of the instrument changes. This design incorporated into the intake of a car would allow one end to attach to the engine, and the other to be in a fixed location to allow things like an airbox to be mounted for production vehicles. Heck you could change the location of the port injection using a similar technique.

They don't show in action in this video, but they did use it for a street legal vehicle in the Ferrari, The Ferrari and I believe the F12 as well, so streetable yes, practical not so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euul7DrTry8&t=52s

Also if I understand what your describing correctly, using the trombone analogy, that would just increase plenum volume and not the runner length which is what you would need to affect to alter RPM characteristics.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
These Bentley GT racecars at Bathurst are hilarious. This is a great race thanks whoever posted the link

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUBmDu3HXaU

Ohhh my :h:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love these so much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I had one of those for seven years and loved it more than just about anything else in the world.

It got stolen just before I moved in with my now-wife and I gotta tell you I miss it every single day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You just never see them in good shape in the midwest anymore. I just want tiny cars that are also quick and not expensive!

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah the turbo, awd familia. Japan really did produce an endless array of fun cars in the 90's - too many to remember.
You could just about count them on one hand now.

Here's something not Japanese:

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

spleen merchant posted:

Here's something not Japanese:

:perfect:

Rhyno if you like some speedy Japanese hatches you need one of these

* not responsible for it being an unreliable pos most of the time and bankrupting you from repairs so you can throw an mini gtr around like a loon.