Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't really know cars of this (apparent) era but I found this in my phone and was wondering what it was. Let me know if I need to post it in the other thread and/or commit honorable sudoku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Considering how strict they are in other respects, the poo poo the UK allows on public roads is pretty amazing.

Tanks, steam powered trucks, Ariel Nomads.

If you stick entirely to the lunatic fringe of motor vehicles the UK is pretty enthusiast friendly.

I went to a car show in Virginia that included a Stanley Steamer the owner had driven to the show. He said he periodically had to pull into a neighborhood, knock on a random door, and say "hey can I use your hose to fill up my car?" The sound the steam engine made was so drat cool.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

drgitlin posted:

My wife showed me that feature recently and it blew my mind (as well as scaring me a bit).

When I read about it I tried "tank" and it gave me all my model tanks and the reference photos I'd saved. The only ones left out had busy camo, like a Hetzer with ambush pattern.

A few updates later it found all of them. I feel like this has implications for the military.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

um excuse me posted:

Altered digital images are pretty easy to detect with error level analysis.

Yeah, fooling a causal observer or even someone who's seen a lot of pixels in their day isn't that hard, but fooling experts is years off yet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Humbug posted:

A lot of people turn them off too early though. Here in Norway, the police go out in the media every year telling people to not turn them off when oncoming traffic is miles away, and that they have and will give fines for switching too early to low beams. When the two light pictures overlap or about 200 yards is the rule drilled in at my driver ed, assuming no extra high beams.

Edit. This derail is decidedly not awesome. Lets have some stupid dumb fun. Summernats was on this weekend. Watch them try to set the word record for most burnouts at once with 140 cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aH7Z_aAugU

Is it common in European countries to be legally required to use high beams?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rhyno posted:

rear end TO rear end kind of took on it's own life.

Ok, you have my attention. What's the movie?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cross-posting from the scale modeling thread:

Enos Shenk posted:

Mostly done with the crazy kitbashed shitkit Beetle. I can't overstress how crap this kit was. It refers to parts it doesn't even come with, the fit is so bad almost nothing fit properly together, but it was cheap and fun for this sort of thing.

All the added bits are extra parts from tank sprues. I was going for a Carmageddon sort of thing. I might go back and add a bit more, there's some photo etch that could add some details on here.

The main body was fun. I did a solid rust, hairspray, aluminum, SCRUB THAT poo poo, then hairspray and a color coat. Then more scrubbing, it ended up looking pretty good.

I desperately want this to exist as a real car.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I was born in 87. By the time I even started noticing cars the only folks who had 80s models were poor people and olds. So that's what I associate the styling with. Like, even I can tell the Celica is something different from the econoboxes, and I'm not talking about the really exotic stuff, but visually the Celica does literally nothing for me. I don't hate it or anything, it just never would have occurred to me it's someone's dream car. Also:

Finger Prince posted:

This conversation sounds like a room full of multi-generational grumpy old men arguing about when they stopped making good music.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wesleywillis posted:

That reminds me of this, I want to do that poo poo but its another expensive hobby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKhW2_X5Bg

some youtuber posted:

In 200 years some archaeologist is going to find half a million ball bearings in that pond/lake and wonder how the hell they got there....

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Saddamnit posted:

The best Porsche.

:colbert:

Edit:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ok, that's a legit beautiful tractor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KozmoNaut posted:

No need, it already sounds great.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

net work error posted:

Good because I think it looks cool. :colbert:

I hated it at first but it grew on me, aside from the weird butt window.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

If I ever got the chance to own an F40 it would be the best and worst day of my life. I'd get the car and promptly die of my heart exploding wrapped around a tree, on fire but smiling.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

um excuse me posted:

I don't remember the source, but I once heard that all turbochargers are superchargers but not all superchargers are turbochargers. Turbocharger as a term is a compound word from turbine supercharger. Since the presence of a turbine is needed to satisfy the turbo definition, anything electrically driven would have to be a supercharger.

That said I also have only heard them called electric turbos.

Turbos were indeed originally called turbine superchargers. You can find docs from WW2 that get super confusing because they talk about, eg, the Merlin being "supercharged."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Godholio posted:

Love that Taycan, but all I see in the headlights are hypnotoad eyes.

I love cars with faces, like how the fiesta St is like an angry hamster, while the older Mazda 3 looked like it was having a great time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"Oh, those aren't fog lights :staredog:"

It sounds evil.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BuckyDoneGun posted:

This was fully airbrushed, amazing work:

I can't make it out. Did he replace the swastika with... something else?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrYenko posted:

Welp, there’s a memory I didn’t know I had, all dusted off and fresh.

I didn't have those, but I did have Batman Donald Duck.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://i.imgur.com/xNmDx9T.mp4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

From the comments:

quote:

I was there that day, when interviewed as to why he couldn’t quite make the 300mph in earlier runs he said “I black out at 298 mph and my thumbs come off the dead mans handles, causing the chutes to open” , after the epic 308 mph run he was again interviewed and asked how he had stopped himself from blacking out, his answer “ I still blacked out but I had taped the handles down so the chute couldn’t open. Absolute hero.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AFewBricksShy posted:

This reminds me of the new Lancia Deltas that were made a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZagcSGReUo

If I had stupid money, I'd absolutely have one of those.

Was that the one that was on Top Gear/Grand Tour where the eccentric Italian guy admitted some of the buttons on the wheel did nothing, but "if all the buttons worked it would be an Audi :shrug:"?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://twitter.com/NinjaDebugger/status/1546212071938953218

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Not near as dramatic, but a few minutes ago I stopped to let a car back out of its space and there was...more car than I expected.

Picture doesn't do the paint job justice. Also, it had a reproduction Jimmy Carter bumper sticker and the license place just said "SIR".

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

devmd01 posted:

Yeah you don’t gently caress with speeding in VA.

Meanwhile, I'm in VA and have been driving around with a safety inspection sticker that expired in August.

It's not intentional. Every few days I'll be in the car going somewhere, look down and left, and go "oh poo poo." Then I forget about it again.

Guess my skin color!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrYenko posted:

https://youtu.be/EyDpQpcPpuc

gently caress me the new Lucid is quick.

2.1s 0-60, 9.1 in the quarter mile, for those who don't click through. :eyepoop:

Edit: that's not the emote I meant but I'm leaving it

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 16, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MetaJew posted:

I had never considered that my non military status would mean that my USAA rates (via an eligible relative) would be higher. Oops, I guess.

I have great rates from USAA and I got it as a dependent. :shrug:

Like, it's not the cheapest, but the cheapest is cheap for a reason.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What are the things that look like kinder egg capsules?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Well that's pretty cool

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Can't wait to see how much they ruin it.

I'm pretty sure every time I see a concept with thin A pillars like that, they get massively beefed up for the production model to make room for side airbags.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What's with the New Balance thing, do ya'll really notice poo poo like that? I couldn't care less what shoes people are wearing and would never notice that correlation lol

I have no idea and any time I've asked I've gotten similar responses to what you got, even in person while wearing nikes. I have to assume it's a meme.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is the descriptor "jellybean" from somewhere?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I watched Car with a friend last night, the one with a killer car. It was the second film (after I Let You In, which I highly recommend) and we maybe should have called it quits even if it weren't for the wine, beer, whisky, and weed. We'd both doze off during the interminable 70s dialog then wake up for the car murder, thanks to the sudden noises, engine roar, murderous honking, etc. It's a hell of a way to watch a movie

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AFewBricksShy posted:

Someone did that with the Lancia Delta a few years ago too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZagcSGReUo

Edit:
And an old impreza (from further up the thread)
https://www.prodrive.com/post/the-prodrive-p25-a-recreation-of-the-iconic-blue-subaru-impreza

I remember seeing this on Top Gear at one point. When it was pointed out that one of the buttons did nothing, the maker shrugged and said "if all the buttons worked it would be an Audi."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

track day bro! posted:

It doesn't matter what time it is in London, it's still the slowest city in the world to drive in.
https://www.statista.com/chart/30844/average-travel-time-per-10km/

It's not so bad on the outskirts, but the further you get in the worse it gets. It's also like the 3rd bigest city in the world, like the London borough I used to live in the population is about 500,000 give or take. I moved to a pretty large town just outside of London with a population of 40,000

Funnily enough there are 0 traffic jams here. Still people are complaining that the council are removing parking spaces and adding cycle lanes and making the town centre nicer for pedestrians. There are literally 5 car parks and people still complain, even then the fact that the town centre is perfectly walkable and I very rarely need to drive into it.

Handily, Wikipedia has a list for this. By city proper population, London is 29 out of the 81 listed. By metro area pop, it's 14. By 2018 UN estimate, whatever that means, it's 37. By area, it's 31.

Fun facts: population density for London proper is 5,614 per square km. For Paris, it's 20,460. Mumbai is 20,694. For Manila, 41,399.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Saw a kinda neat car in a Taco Bell parking lot today.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GlenMR posted:

The side profile is really nice!

There must have been better headlights to pick. What a shame.

But in car form.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Darchangel posted:

Ah, "tacticool".

Also "fish"

Darchangel posted:

At least you get the satisfaction that the bee killed itself doing that, unlike a wasp or hornet.

That's honeybees, due to their barbed stinger. Anything that can sting multiple times has a smooth stinger and doesn't die from stinging.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Darchangel posted:

Ah, you are correct. Mea culpa.

The bees forgive you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ADINSX posted:

I'm the 1% of people that survive jumping over a canyon in a Ferrari, rotating 270 degrees and impacting the side of the cliff at 200 miles per hour with the bottom of the car

I'm the negative eight percent in the cyber truck. That crash would have not only killed everybody, but caused a miscarriage in a nearby city.