Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Casu Marzu posted:

Was at Road America on Saturday for the ALMS race. Owned so hard.

Thanks for the photos. That was a great race with an exciting finish, but even though the corvettes are 1 and 2 in points, I never seem to catch the races they win. Also what is wrong with ESPN that they make us stream the races live on the website and not show them on tv until a day later? Also will anyone here be at the Baltimore race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ash with a five posted:

bunch of lovely cars with some good ones mixed in

Could you please at least not break the tables with this stuff.

Edit: vv sorry it was posted 4 hours ago so I figured you had left it that way. I'll meet you half way and post something wide and low.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 27, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I like how the b-pillar is invisible in the first photo. That'd be pretty cool if you could just put all the windows down. This photo just reminded me about how uptight my state's laws about window tinting are though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

What does Recyclesaurus recycle? The souls of other cars?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
You know what's awesomely 80's, the dash of the old 300zx.

You know what's disgustingly 80's? The rest of the cabin.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

At first I thought it was cute, but then it got in my head that it's somehow the offspring of an H2 statutory raping a Power Wheels, and now I just feel terrible.

I don't know why you didn't think details were worth mentioning but if anyone didn't see the article, this is by Hennessey, makes 1,226hp and has a top speed of 242mph.

Edit: vv well that's certainly true. By shady though I assume you're referring to him being a dick, or do we have reason to think those numbers are inflated?

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 7, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Moxie Omen posted:

I expect some BLARGH WRONG THREAD IDIOT reactions from this.

I'm a total Corvette fanboy but I'm still gonna say blargh.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ziploc posted:

Enlighten a DSLR noob on what an inappropriate lens is.
You know how in gran turismo photo mode when you're far away from something then zoom in so you only see a tail light or a logo and everything else is out of focus? Imagine if you were unable to zoom out far enough to get a photo of the whole car.

Edit: and if you want a better visualization, picture this:

davebo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 9, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

grover posted:

1982 Lamborghini Countach. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.1s econds.

No, it's not a dream, it's 2012 and we're all driving supercars!

And not even the latest cars off the line either. I drive a now 14 year old car that can beat my childhood dream car. I feel like moving forward I'm not even expecting cars to get faster, just more fuel efficient, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just in case it's not clear from the picture, he's not even in a parking spot. He parks in the area where the little ramp is for rolling things onto the sidewalk. I'm kind of impressed how far someone will go just to get the point across that they're an rear end in a top hat.

Just to clear this up for me, was that intended for the terrible car thread because of the way he parked, or is it in the awesome thread because that's some cool special edition Mustang I'm not familiar with yet? I've enjoyed Mustangs with rear window covers in the past (decades in the past) so I'm open to current ones, but that particular one isn't doing much for me, but I have no idea if that's some factory option on one of those crazy 800hp mustangs or something.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The louvers are one of many customization options on the Mustang; you can change the grill, etc as well.

You mean from the factory I assume? So as far as anyone can tell from that photo it's a 2013 V6 Mustang? They're fine cars don't get me wrong, I just wasn't sure if there was something awesome I wasn't picking up on.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Saw this Challenger R/T on the D.C. beltway on Saturday. Crummy cell pic but it was super clean.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I had to go to the page for this one because all I could think was it's a Honda Moses.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well, this may not be as awesome as that Camaro but since we don't have the cell phone pics thread anymore I thought this was pretty cool to see driving around Northern Virginia, where I can't imagine you'd have a terribly interesting safari.

Those tires are closer in width to my bicycle's than my car's.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PreacherNutshot posted:

You'd be surprised what you can fit in the back of a sports car. Gifts for 7 and clothes for 2 weeks.

Wait are these both your Corvettes? Did you plasti-dip the base stock wheels? It looks like you and someone else had to take a road trip to visit family for the holidays and instead of going together I'm picturing you each racing Corvettes across the country and I have to know more. If you just googled "corvette full of stuff" I'll be sad so make something up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

joat mon posted:

Same car, different lighting.

Ahh my mistake, the second looked like the spiral gray metallic color, and I had never seen a liftback with that cloth cover before.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Either way, compared to this thing:
I'll take a Prius any day.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

One exists and your in the auction world, so thats already a better chance than most.
http://automotivemileposts.com/mark31970dualcowlphaetonshowcar.html

The whole tiny windshield long car reminded me of the Monte Carlo in "romeo + juliet"

It's weird but with different wheels I'd probably drive it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
What site did you pull all those from? They're all the same size with some terrible artifacting in some, but I'll bet some of those source images are pretty nice.

Edit: went looking for the original that Aventador thumbnail came from, found this:

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 8, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

grover posted:

Just wait- soon you won't be tuning cars, you'll be overclocking them.

But they're already water-cooled. What more can we do to them but light up the insides with led's?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tusen Takk posted:

The future is here.

You call that lit up? look at all that black area! That's no alienware car :colbert:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Had a camera on me so I took this Saturday.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

The fact it caused so much stir is hilarious. It was never ment to be a troll but goddamn if it is now. Also spending 15 grand fixing a bug is hilarious to me but if its something you wanna do, I wouldnt go calling you out for it. To each his own man.

I don't want this to sound snarky or anything but I noticed that it's fallen back to page 3 so I thought I'd mention that we actually have a thread just for cars like some of the ones you've been posting, so you may want to consider posting some things there in the future.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509860

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Holy poo poo, did you really just equate a bad rear end car on airbags to the poo poo in the hellaflush thread?
Well he seemed surprised that one car he posted was taking heat for having huge wheels and being on bags, so I thought it pertinent to mention there's a thread where people appreciate stuff like that. Like I said, I wasn't being snarky about it. I'm sure the people who enjoy that thread would also like cars like that, and stuff he's posted like this:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

sofullofhate posted:

:allears: I hate station wagons. We need an SUV.
This part wasn't very AI. :colbert:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

88h88 posted:

From the door back looks awesome to me, not too keen on the nose but then that could be the iffy scan.

I don't know, is this any better?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Was browsing photos of the 2013 Amelia Island Concourse d'elegance and they had a bunch of gt40's.

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/2952/1.html
Lots of racing Porsches in there on the second page.
And the third has this 1985 prototype which looks fun:

But apparently that site thinks it's too good for the Corvettes that appeared so find them here:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevrolet-corvette-amelia-island-2013/#photo-5700925/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sometime in the 80s because somebody noted that, for the price of the wing, you could have bought a Yugo.

Yeah but a Yugo would barely fit on the back of that Countach, although I imagine it'd keep the rear wheels planted pretty well.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Paul Boz_ posted:

Those names read like a Grand Theft Auto designer created them.

This strikes me at the most GTA car I've seen in real life. It looks like a bunch of different cars melded together, has this completely amorphous name, and the interior isn't very detailed. I want to just open the door, toss out whoever was inside, and drive away until I got where I was going then just abandon it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Speaking of Audis, I keep seeing these two at my office parking lot and girlfriend's neighborhood.

That parking lot in the background used to just be a pay to park membership deal, until one day I noticed there were an awful lot of Mercedes and thought it might be coincidence, but it's pretty clear some dealership must now use it for overflow inventory.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

But Prius's are such terrible cars... Oh well. :smith:

They're actually not terrible cars, they just aren't very A.I. But neither is that truck. It's more like Helldump.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Sometimes I want to ask questions or say thanks for an image someone posted but we're not allowed, and now that I have a picture to post I don't remember anything I wanted to say.

Edit:VV Hitler had some good ideas.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 22, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

some texas redneck posted:

Saw this downtown today. Right hand drive with a chauffeur. :staredog:

This is downtown Dallas right? Because I was recording a wedding in D.C. with the same car. I don't have the memory card with me so I'll take a still from video later, but in the meantime megarule so here's something high res:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

some texas redneck posted:

Yeah, downtown Dallas. Know any background on it?

I think the driver said it was a '52 Bentley. Here's a shot of the one I saw.

One thing that really ruined the look is it had a large QR code on the back of it. Nothing screams "1952" like a digital sticker you scan with a cell phone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
A cell phone photo Corvette dump you say? Don't mind if I do!
Outside Tony's Corvette Shop, the color on that stripe is actually a dark green which I really liked.

Just today, in awful traffic with a cop right behind him. 638hp going to waste.

And this was at the Rockville metro stop a few weeks ago.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I saw this recently around Ballston, VA and I swear I've seen variations of that license plate on two different colored SS Camaro's in the past 6 months. I don't know if it's a family name and a bunch of brothers all have muscle cars or what. Maybe it's one guy who keeps totaling them and getting new ones? In case it's unclear, this is the 6.4L V8 392 edition.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

The Stealth may have done it first, but I can't see that horrible spoiler and not think Pontiac Sunfire. Which I won't post here because it does not belong in this thread.

Edit: alright I'll just link it so you can torture yourselves.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I know there's a little bit of history to the car but with such a boring naming scheme I'm surprised anyone even cares. Actually what surprises me most is that they made the coupe the 4 and kept the 4-door as the 3, since most BMW buyers just want a bigger number and the4-door sells more units I assume. Also this was all explained like 2 or 3 years ago right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Octopus Magic posted:

Speaking of the C7

Woah Momma.

In my head it's singing Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More"...

to everyone else in the GT Le Mans class.