Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
So this showed up out of the blue in our uni workshop today, a Bugatti Type 35 to try and spruce the place up for Patrick Head's visit. Apologies for the awful phone camera quality.

Sweet positive camber on the front

This steering scares the hell out of me, but I'm told trucks use it quite commonly

The supercharged straight 8 producing as much power as my diesel econo-box

A bonus shot of our Harrier jet

And a shot of the interior. They're hidden behind the wheel but it has a couple of MSA scrutineering stickers on it, so it's seen the track fairly recently. I forgot to get a shot of it but the steering wheel is noticeably bent from the side like a taco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

DrPain posted:

Sweet car, but tell me more about your harrier. Does it fly or is it a display?

Unfortunately it's display only, the engine is on a cart round the other side and any number of instruments are missing from the cockpit at one time or another whilst the instrumentation students fiddle with it. It does have a screen set up at the front so you can sit in it and play flight sim though.

ash with a five posted:

You're at Cov eh? Is it still shite?

Depends if you're one of the cool kids doing motorsport engineering or something less worthwhile. :v:

We just moved into a brand new engineering building which is pretty sweet, and the new SU is excellent too. The place has improved dramatically since I started here, which isn't hard but at least they're trying.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This just showed up on my Facebook feed:

Unfortunately no back story yet other than it's one of my uni's old Formula Student cars. I'm thinking of putting it up on the workshop wall.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Memento1979 posted:

Doesn't someone post here whose job is to take cars apart like this for promo photos? I could be thinking of another forum.

What's going on inside those cylinder bores? I see the liners up next to the pistons, are the bores in the block coated?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sagebrush posted:

e: holy poo poo, the Veyron weighs over four thousand pounds? What the hell, I thought it would be like 2800 or so. What happened to all the carbon fiber? How heavy is that engine?

According to some websites I just found, ~400kg plus another 100kg or so for the gearbox.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
That magnesium is underrated as a material and deserved another look. :colbert:

You can get some crazy high specific strengths from it, you just need a huge volume to make it as strong as a steel or alu part. To get it to burn it has to be at melting point and if your cylinder heads have made it there already then you've already got issues.

(Just don't run it for so long that it creeps and all your preload comes off the head studs)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

veedubfreak posted:

Can you please explain why a car needs to chase a jet?

Direct from the link you didn't click:

Car and Driver posted:

Soon after its formation in late 1970, the EPA was tasked with finding the leading causes of environmental air pollution. There was plenty of speculation as to the source or sources, but data needed to be collected to test the various theories. For example, was car exhaust or exhaust from airliners more to blame for poor air quality? Some thought the heavy metals in wear particles from bias-ply tires and asbestos brake dust were contributing to the problem. The EPA needed to find out what constituted the greatest threat to public health and do it in a cost-effective way.

John Moran was the EPA section chief in North Carolina at the time and the person who conceived the Plymouth Superbird project. We spoke to Moran, who has since retired, to get the inside story.

After wrapping his head around the vast amount of data that needed to be collected, Moran recalled, he realized that designing individual lab tests would cost a small fortune. Simply putting a jet engine in a test cell to collect exhaust samples could have cost well into six figures.

Moran reasoned that it would be cheaper and more accurate to collect the air samples in the field. To do this, the EPA would need a car that was capable of following a jet on takeoff. Chrysler had already done extensive wind-tunnel testing of the Superbird and the positive results—the aforementioned top speed and high-speed stability—made it the logical choice. Moran wrote up the proposal and sent it to the purchasing department. Legendary NASCAR builder Ray Nichels won the contract with the low bid of $25,000 to acquire and prep the car—when new, the Superbird’s base price was $4298.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This is all well and good, but if you look reallllll close at the rockers you'll see the dampers are in double shear anyway.

No (sane) engineer would put a bolt that important into single shear, that's like babytown frolicks.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 20, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Alright maybe I was a bit over-dramatic and should have said no engineer would do that without good cause and justification.

As penance, pictures:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Let's play guess the (awesome) car!

I'm anxiously awaiting CT's analysis of that cage. Nothing's been cut out of it by the way, that's the entire cage. :ohdear:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
poo poo that was fast, it took me longer and I was standing right there!

Apparently my Uni is laser scanning it for some company so they can make repro 6R4's. This thing is bloody terrifying, the cage is pathetic and all the sheet metal that's left is absolutely paper thin. The co-driver doesn't even get a door bar. Lunacy.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
You're right, those two vertical tubes arch over the door & down the A-pillar and that cross piece is welded on at the top to make the main hoop. I think it does go to the floor at least, my phone camera is a POS but the vertical tubes continue down inside those panels that cover their bottom halves. The door bar makes a 90° bend outwards just behind the door to meet them inside that panel, and I think the other end is just welded straight to the floor.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I don't remember where I read it, it might even have been here but apparently the previous generation of WRC cars were quicker along stages than group B cars, thanks to advances in tyres, aero, active differentials etc. I can't find any data to back that up though so take it with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine the speed a modern rally car could carry along a stage with >500hp motivating it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
A McLaren P1 that looks like somebody's coloured green in photoshop.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've seen that nose somewhere even fuglier before:

:gonk:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Holy poo poo. This is insane.

When I skimmed past it earlier I thought it was just a bit of the Donington GP Collection being refurbished. I didn't clock at first how many cars were there. :staredog:

*E* The McLaren hall at Donington for comparison:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 10, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MetaJew posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Why is the cam cover so tall? I can't imagine why it would need to stick up so high above the bolt faces.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It's size is more impressive when you see how loving big the engine block is:

It's a bad picture, but the thing is like 700mm long or so and by the time you've got all the turbos and plumbing bolted on is immense.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

VanNuys posted:

What is the little nub below the right tail light? It looks like a connector for a compressor hose??

Yeah it's for the air jacks.

*E* Welp.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Motronic posted:

Hopped up older 911 being driven hard. It's like a murder/suicide pact between the car and the driver.

I love how he keeps pushing almost as much as I love the seemingly random times the car just decides it wants to step out of line and he has to saw it back into submission.

Somebody feel free to school me, but I have it in my head the reason old 911's have the reputation they do is they tended to slide reeeeeeeealy gently one way, and then when you corrected it they came back into line at loving warp speed and you tended to spin the other way. Presumably the guy doesn't wanna end up reversing it into a tree and that's why he's sawing so drat much.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

88h88 posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that gold Maserati doesn't actually look that bad? The colour combination works quite nicely...

I know there's at least one person here from my home town of Coventry, I'm sure they've seen the vile chrome vinyl DB7 that used to roll around the university at times. It wouldn't be that bad if it was a more modern one but it's like a 1997/98 with the original rims and it just looks stupid.

Not it, obviously as the sky is never blue in this city;

I've not seen that, but there was a black Quattroporte that rolled around near the Uni Library all term, and a poor, poor, Veilsided-up Supra with 20" rims, HIDZZZ etc.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

rscott posted:

what's up with that spoiler thingy, otherwise I need that in my life

If it's a real CSL then that's from the factory as a homologation piece, I guess the plan was to try and condition the airflow going down the back window onto the wing that was there on the racing version.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Poisonlizard posted:

I'd drive the poo poo out of this, but that giant cirle/B in the grill is awful. The Mercedes tristar is big enough, why do you have to go add a dinner plate in the middle of the grill?

I can't see it as anything other than the Bitcoin logo and it's hilarious.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

echoplex posted:

Not sure if this qualifies as "awesome", but another one for the "never thought I'd see one again" folder.

A Ford Orion! How many of these can still exist? This one was barely existing, you could see holes in all the flanks and the owners looked to be in about the same sort of condition.

Not many by the looks of it, though I have no clue what trim level that once was.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Slavvy posted:

This goddamn video is breathtaking. He's got shorts with a long-sleeved shirt. Why is the stereo mounting still there? It's mesmerising, in many ways his is a greater achievement than winning X race in Y class, he sat there for seven years and honed himself and that hideous car like a weapon.

edit: also how is his steering wheel not bucking and jerking madly at the higher speeds, with the track being so bumpy? Every lovely fwd car I've ever driven did this.

I can't imagine the misery in driving a stripped, diesel, Citroen AX from France to Germany and back multiple times without a stereo to listen to on the way. Bear in mind that the track itself is in a mountain range, if he had to drag that poor car up there without one he'd probably be deaf and dumb by the time he got to the top.

And which FWD cars have you driven that bump-steered so badly? :stare:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I...um......

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Put a helmet on & just pose like a dummy, see how long it takes for someone to mention it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Alfa's triumphant return to the US looks a lot shabbier than I imagined.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

When I was a kid doodling supercars all over the place I was accidentally drawing that exact profile without even knowing it existed in real life. :allears:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I can't not see that as a Fiero with a Countach bodykit on. Even with the UK plate. :psyduck:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Heid the Ball posted:

Gumball 3000 came through Edinburgh today...

What time did they leave? I got passed by an R8 on the M6 around Coventry at 5pm, was impressed the driver had made it as far as he had without losing his license already.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The best part is if it's the car I'm thinking of it was a chase car for Thrust 2. Jet car just caught fire? Sorry our fire extinguishers are stuck at the start line.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

88h88 posted:

gently caress. I was sat at home on Saturday thinking "I bet there's some cars out front of the museum" and then decided to just sit on my arse and watch films all day.

poo poo I was in town getting wet and managed to not go through Godiva square once.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
For all his faults I have to commend the blue car driver for managing to keep it out of the wall. That looked like poo poo you get away with in Gran Turismo not real life.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Still my favourite 911 shape. :fap:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It's a corner that might be flat out if the weather/tyres permit.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

VikingSkull posted:

I dunno if you're joking or not so I'll post this just in case

It reflects the history of Ohio's tire industry and their usage in the Indy 500

Haha poo poo, I clocked it looking like the Indy logo but couldn't make the connection between it and Ohio.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Where does K'Nex fall into this hierachy? Was there a LEGO ferris wheel set?

Also, that moment when you found out that DUPLO was scaled so several LEGO bricks could attach to one DUPLO block.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

T-Square posted:

I thought this was a pretty neat article by Road and Track about secret shenanigans by Ganassi. I've never heard of this before.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/features/a24696/racings-secret-hideout-ganassi-tunnel/

I remember seeing an article on this in Racecar Engineering years ago, trying to tell people about it and being told it would never work and what's the point in straight line testing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bad rear end as this is, if you think about it too much it turns into an advert about how terrible their turbo lag is.