Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I went to Pistonheads Sunday Service up at Silverstone yesterday. A few cars showed up.

I made an imgur album rather than spam all the pictures into this thread or make a photo dump thread.
http://imgur.com/a/1puXd

I've got a bunch more that I might make into another album if anyone wants to see more.

It also happened to coincide with the 6 hours of Silverstone LeMans series race, so we got to see some of that too. Bonus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLHuYy9zWA

It was a loving great day out. I went with my friend in his chavtastic tuned up '99 Impreza Type R which was a dream car of mine when I was in college. We drove irresponsibly through country lanes, got air over a little bridge and did a huge drift in a gravel parking lot, basically everything I'd have wanted to do in one, so that's a few things ticked off the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jonathan posted:

The r8 is a hell of a car in an empty parking lot.

This is the best description of the R8 I have ever read. There was one parked next to an SLS up at Silverstone the other day, I only noticed because it was conspicuously not the SLS. But in isolation, yeah, it's a really pretty car! It looks sleek and sexy and fast, and then something more interesting pulls up and it might as well be a 911*.

*please note, I'm not trolling here, it's just that 911's are kind of anonymous, which suits them just fine. And at least Porsche compensates for it on the GT3 by providing some pretty garish paint jobs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Paul Boz_ posted:

What's common between the two other than the engine?

looks like the swingarm, rear brake, possibly some other components, possibly some frame parts though they may be modified, umm... headers? Wiring harness? There isn't much to either of them to begin with, so change a couple of things and you do end up with a significantly different looking bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This one looks like the tunnel from that Gran Turismo Special Stage city course... probably is too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Itzena posted:

Peugeot Onyx concept car from the Paris motor show:

Carbon fibre and copper.

Every French concept sports car I've seen at various shows in the past few years has been some kind of ultra-cool-as-gently caress space fighter from the future design. And what all does all that design language net? A funky crease on the new Megane? Citroens with LEDs and 2 tone paint? A Peugeot that makes you think "that actually looks quite nice if you had to buy one".
Pull your finger out, Frenchies! I want a hypergalactic space-fighter that makes the Aventador look sooo 2012!

*note to Frenchies: I cannot actually afford a hypergalactic space-fighter that makes the Aventador look sooo 2012, I can't even afford a Peugeot RCZ, although I do think it looks quite nice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

River Raid posted:

No poo poo. My wife's '81 Corvette was such a dog before we rebuilt it without all the needless and poorly engineered poo poo they bolted on. After a new exhaust, new manifolds and new heads, and a Hurst transmission kit, it went from being the slowest vette I had ever seen to running solid low 12s while still being a decent little commuter for her (we live less than 2 miles from work in an area with almost no real traffic.).

you live less than 2 miles from work and she commutes that distance in a 12s Corvette?! Now that's AI. Please tell me she's managed to get to work in under a minute.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Crossposting from the station wagon thread

poo poo me, that's awesome!!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

If you said you could show me an intake that looks like a towel rack, I would have called you a dirty filthy liar.

Also that open mesh ground wire is hilarious.

It looks like and aircraft bonding strap.

Terrible Robot posted:

Cool pictures, looks like a great way to spend a day. I was just looking at an older Porsche design, actually. :haw:

Behold the Panzer VIII Maus, the largest tank ever made, designed by none other than Ferdinand Porsche.

quick, dirty, and I don't even know why.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kill me now posted:

I think a lot of what people don’t get about time attack to that level is, if you're going to spend that much time and money on your "racing" program why aren't you wheel to wheel racing?

Time attack is literally qualifying. You're missing the best part of a race weekend with it.

Time attack and time trials make tons of sense as a bridge between doing trackdays and doing wheel to wheel racing. It allows people to do something competitive without having to go full racecar prep levels and turn a street car into a track only car, but at that level it’s a bit hollow.

counterpoint- sometimes qualifying is the best part of the race weekend...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Time attack is no different to hillclimb (well, I guess you could argue that it's easier to get back to the start), I really can't understand why anyone questions whether it's a "legitimate" form of racing or some poo poo like that. Lots of competition is done on time vs time rather than wheel to wheel, why is it time attack that gets everyone bent out of shape?

Also, Saab B204-powered Astra, anyone?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/astra-gsi-saab-turbo-conversion-not-vxr-sri-gte-rs-/230869090202?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c0debf9a

what would be cool would be team time attack, like team pursuit in track cycling... 4 cars drafting and third one across the line sets the time. Or sprint, that would kick rear end with cars... Basically any of track cycling's events would be cool with cars too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Light Fields posted:

London has too many fancy cars to photograph.

I stopped taking pictures after a while because once you've seen 10 Astons...

Love that second photo btw. Mister high roller at the strip club, looks like he's popped in to argos for some cheap housewares.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

if I get a chance tomorrow or tuesday, I'll take a walk around the 'hood with my camera and see what kind of stuff I can stumble across.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Das Volk posted:

Which borough are you in? We're on the Chelsea/Fulham border by Stamford Bridge.

I'm in Chiswick, just around the corner from the Porsche dealership, so just down the road really.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HOLY poo poo!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Holy poo poo, that interior is ridiculous. The rest of the car is pretty bad, too.

Nothing styled by Bertone has ever been bad. NOTHING.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fixed that for ya.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know some photographers feel that a composition should stand on it's own as it was shot, but I find a bit of judicious cropping can really help make the subject pop.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

join a 'lady' sharing club where various 'ladies' are parked in lots and alleys around the neighborhood, and all the members of club can rent out the 'ladies' on an hourly basis?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

beedeebee posted:

I just got back from Paris and saw some pretty exotic cars, sadly I got no pictures.
But anyway, I saw one car driving away and I can't figure out what it was. It's been bugging me the last couple of hours, and I just can't remember what it's called.
So anyway, the backside looked like this:
code:
       _____                 ______
       xxxxx \______________/xxxxxx  

X's being the taillights. I know it isn't much, but I'm sure someone around here can tell me what I saw.

here's my guess:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:lol::lol:

You're comparing a factory OE car with a 1000hp that's covered under warranty by said OEM to a one off tuner car.

OK

The idea of a car like the Veyron having a "factory warranty" is a bit perverse, to be honest. If I were spending that much for one, I'd expect the company to fly a mechanic to wherever it broke down and repair it on site, whilst arranging my 5 star hotel for the night and alternative travel arrangements for the inconvenience.
If I had a Veyron, I would expect it to be fixed before I even knew it needed fixing. Bugatti could arrange the repair with my staff while I was on my yacht.
The idea of spending millions on a car and then having to do something so common as driving it to a dealership to have them sort out a funny rattle on their dime doesn't fit my idea of what ownership of a seven-figure car should entail.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

You know that this is exactly the service agreement for the Veyron, practically word-for-word right?

It goddamn better be, or you're fired. :wotwot:

Seriously though, the whole "it has a factory warranty!" thing has got to stop. It has a "you're a loving minted goose that lays golden eggs" service contract so maybe you buy anosser one when you get tired of se colour, ya?

speaking of golden eggs, it looks pretty classy in this colour scheme (if a little Gulf Air)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jonathan posted:

Yes, but only posts that are flat out wrong and retarded. So I'll be replying to a lot of your tripe. Cock.

stuck in an endless loop of emptyquoting yourself...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sent from my friend who works at https://www.dailysportscar.com

GreenGT press release posted:

Le Castellet, December 13th, 2012

Discover in preview the GreenGT H2 sound!

It’s in Grenoble, on November 28th, that the fuel cell was started for the first time, charging from 10 000 to 120 000 rpm.

After a necessary burn-in period, during which the multiple components of the fuel cell were tested separately, the GreenGT H2 began the active phase of its power tests.

Jean-François Weber, Managing Director, Head of R&D, explains:

"All the components of our fuel cell have been properly tested. Particular attention was detected to tightness tests for different fluids (water, air, hydrogen), dynamic performance of compressors, and control procedures for the fuel cell and electric motors.

Today, it is our pleasure to let you hear the sound of the GreenGT H2."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7TYhW2kBs

GreenGT press release posted:

The next information update on the progress of our schedule will be provided during the Birmingham Motor Show (10-13 January 2013).

Ye Gods.
I can't wait for LeMans.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This isn't getting enough love. I adore the sound of electric motors, and that just sounds wonderful :allears:

hydrogen-electric! :science:
http://www.greengt.com/en/greengt-h2.php

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

You are right. Gasoline is as volatile as hydrogen. What was I thinking.

Hydrogen is a dumb choice for dumb people. You still need new production facilities, a new supply chain. Large amounts of storage for it within residential neighborhoods. Idiots will still smoke while refueling and Blow themselves up, and you will have to refuel twice as often.

Battery tech is progressing and electric and extended range hybrids are the right answer. Then you don't need an electricity truck delivering explosive electricity into large tanks under the local electricity station in the middle of the suburbs. Transmission lines would need to be upgraded for it to become a large scale reality but that isn't an unreasonable investment and will never go to waste.

fear from ignorance is what I'm seeing here. You've got natural gas piped to every home, every high-rise, everywhere, and that only flattens a few houses a year. Nobody is saying "get rid of natural gas! It is a frightful menace!" Petrol trucks deliver petroleum to petrol stations and how many of those blow up? How about the massive propane tanks for filling your BBQ tank etc. at gas stations. Ever seen a propane explosion? Your BBQ tank alone could take out half your house. Nobody bats an eye at those though. So why so afraid of hydrogen? It's just another fuel, and properly handled with technology designed for it, what is the problem? The GreenGT guys aren't even burning it, they're using it in an electrolitic fuel cell arrangement to produce electricity to drive an electric motor, because battery tech can't cope with a full electric endurance race.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

Current hybrid-electric drivetrains are always going to be more effective than hydrogen fuel-cell drivetrains because there isn't the wasteful conversion step from some other energy to hydrogen (and liquid fuels are simply more power-dense than hydrogen).

The hydrogen isn't being burnt. Power density of liquid vs gaseous fuel is irrelevant, the hydrogen is being used in a chemical reaction with air to produce electricity.
And maybe you missed the point about it powering an endurance racing prototype? Sure, they won't be competing with the Audi hybrids in the "who can spend the most money" game (and don't get me wrong, the Audis are next-level type badassetry that sound amazing and are stupidly fast), but the whole point of prototype racing, especially LeMans, is it's where people get to try new things in the most punishing environment just to see if they work.

which was doing well until

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

What do you think burning is?

You still have to deal with the waste of converting some other form of energy to hydrogen before you can feed it to the cells; there are other gaseous fuels that can be dug straight from the ground, but are still not practical because of energy density problems, at least with combustion engines. Fuel cells have other problems too, ranging from some requiring more platinum than your catalytic converter, to just low power density. Hydrogen fuel cells will simply never be mainstream.

the :words: are the important bit, not the being pedantic about what burning is.

Hydrogen fuel cells are about as likely to become mainstream as battery powered electric cars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Wound rubber bands are what I'm pegging my money on as propulsion technology of the future. You ever hit your finger on the propeller of a rubber band plane? Tons of potential in this field.

sure, the closer you get to work, the longer it takes, but goddamn do you get home quick!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

oil extraction and refinement doesn't exactly have the best track record in that regard either.
But IOC is right, this arguement doesn't belong here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

The only way I will ever like a VW.

Now let's see one with the front end of a bugatti and the back end of a beetle!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Triumph 675 :)

I wonder what kind of weird moire-like vibrations an unbalanced triple would produce?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think this fairly well describes the phrase "used in anger"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4v4I7Gzk0

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Alfa Bertone GT 2000 Veloce

I should go visit them sometime soon...

Gorgeous car in a a gorgeous colour. Dijon mustard yes please.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've driven every car I've ever owned in worse conditions than that just commuting to work or school. :canada:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

This will make that obsolete:
http://www.oculusvr.com/

A) that technology has been around for over a decade, though I'm sure the resolution of those is an order of magnitude better

B) they don't come with a gorilla to push you around in sync with the motion on what you're watching.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

I have to say that while I respect the R8 for what it is and what it brings to the table, the styling has never made me drool like it does for many others. Although, I have yet to see one in person.

E:From an aesthetic standpoint. The engine(s) totally give me stiffness.

I've seen loads in person, and I totally agree. They just don't look exciting. Very pretty, yes, but lacking panache.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the grille looks a bit like a Buick Skylark sedan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the look on the driver's face is perfect. You can see his thought process written all over it... "shitshitwhoa...whoa...shitshitshitslipperywhoa...shitfuckshit!"
100% clenched butt focus.