Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

This should basically knock the Tatra V570 knockoff argument entirely out of the water.

Behold, the '37 Mercedes 170H, designed by Dr. Porsche sometime between '23 and '32. Closer to '32 than '23. To this day, the lead time to a Mercedes design remains roughly similar, at about 7 years.

Does it really take Mercedes 7 years in the current day to put out a new model? Does that make them worse than half as slow as the industry average? In any case, I don't think that has any bearing on how long it took to design and make a car back then.

The closer it was to 1932 when Porsche started designing it, the more doubt there is. I can't imagine the shapes he was drawing stayed the same over those several years. Just look at the changes between the 1931 V570 prototype and the 1933 one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Except for the RHD road and the slightly off vegetation, that scene looks like the US. All the cars are available here.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yes. Though nobody in the US can rebuild Leda shocks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I still don't quite understand the DS's brake button (instead of a brake pedal). It seems as though you can't apply or release pressure progressively when using it.

Well it's just more direct control over the hydraulic fluid volume, wouldn't that allow you the same kind of linear control? Linear not taking into account the calculus of the fluid pushed out rate wrt depression on the button.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pinched myself to see if I was dreaming:
http://www.insideline.com/buick/grand-national/1987-buick-regal-grand-national-long-term-test.html
Mods please cloak this post from Rhyno.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

That's why I cover my vehicle with those vortex generators. Went from 18mpg to 27mpg, poo poo cray.

You mean I didn't have to ball peen all my body panels?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well post some pics or something!

*slap*
Get back to grooming your CL ads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Is the spare tire a solid rubber tire or an uninflated donut?

Old school collapsible spare.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Coupla concept Ferraris I just found out about :

FX:

The 2nd angle is to die for, even with the old school Saturn SL1 recessed headlamps.

FZ93:

I think they learned some lessons about why you need flying buttresses if you're going to have a greenhouse that shrinks in the rear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jonathan posted:

Isn't that the Hennessey/Lotus thing? Also, gently caress Hennessey.

Nah, that thing is an ungainlily stretched Exige.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DixielandDelight posted:

Why are there so many? :stare:

Which ones could you take out?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is that a former-T-top car or just extreme lightening? Roof looks funny to me above the door for some reason.

Looks like the weatherstripping is attached to the top of the window. Fits the T-top theory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Why'd they let you run the 458 without a helmet?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From Coolamundo:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is slightly incredible, but it will help non-Americans understand what :911::clint: means:
http://jalopnik.com/5954826/watch-texas-test-its-85-mph-highways-cameras-with-a-2205-mph-blast

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Modern anti-lag and a neat rundown of an STi Spec C:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2771/external-combustion-rocket-anti-lag-system-jdm-spec-c-impreza-sti.aspx

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

juche mane posted:

Is he the shitwagon who has the E39 M5 with all the ham radio bullshit so he can speed and not have to pay tickets like us plebes.

I don't think he did it (avoiding radar + cops) regularly, but yeah, he had that setup for his Cannonball Run.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The car isn't that special, but I hadn't seen it since I sold it to the current owner.

AP2 front bumper, clear indicators, debadged except for the red S trunk badge, Rota Slipstreams, and the tears on the softtop. Oh, and the silencered Megan single exhaust.

I was giddy just to see it again, and in the same form.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How're the horns set up? In the thick part of the wheel?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

XtaC posted:

Haha, funny you should mention those two things ... I went digging around for some more recent photos ....

I don't get why you guys the 968 mirrors more. The square 944 ones are dated but fit the boxiness of the car more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Root Bear posted:

Still my favorite. Man that shifter handle is awesome. :allears:

Craving steak now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lamborghini Aventador?
http://www.rapidcars.com/wp-content/gallery/2012-lamborghini-aventador-lp700/2012-lamborghini-aventador-lp700-rear-orange-3.jpg

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beedeebee posted:

^^ no, it had sharper edges. Less curves, more straight lines.

It actually looked like the backside of a Reventon. But no way I saw a Reventon in person right?

The more straight lines, the more that biases it to Lambos. Here's a Gallardo:

The main problem is that it doesn't have that dip in the middle.

About the Xs for taillights -- what were the taillights like? I interpreted them as LED arrangements, but maybe not.

Pretty sure it was midengined?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Well, those are Z06 wheels, I suppose it's possible.

Apparently, the 17x8.5 is a good fit for the SyTy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All I know about the Turbo is that it has a PRV engine.

The Esprit Turbo used either a 4-cyl or a V8, neither of which is the PRV V6?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From here:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2807/mike-kojima-inspired-datsun-s30.aspx

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

murphle posted:

A locking diff would be the worst possible thing for that stunt. It forces both wheels on the axle to turn at the same speed regardless of whether one is in the air or not. So clearly that isn't a locked diff in the video.

If they didn't turn at the same speed... all the spinning would happen on the wheel off the ground, and the car would slow down very fast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I never knew those were hatches, that must make them actually quite practical...

The space isn't quite flat, but yeah, lots of space behind the seats.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

Jesus Christ. The weight distribution on that thing.

If the stock engine and electric motor are gone, I don't see this hurting weight distribution that much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Itzena posted:

He apparently made it round 20 laps this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8InG6T9pxs

Gotta love the S-10 (?) outrunning the 944.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Budget Monty posted:

I've had 2 real 2.3-16V's. This is not real. Could be decent in the right hands, but not a "real/desireable" 190E by any means.

I don't think he was implying it was a 16v, since it had that Zender badge on the back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

That seems like actually getting in/out of the back would be a pain, and what is that thing sticking up out of the tunnel?

It'd be cool if it needed a 2nd tranny to act as a reduction gear system, and the passengers had to coordinate shifting with the driver. I want to play this game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Devyl posted:

From a technical aspect, the C7 makes me happy. I'm absolutely FLOORED that Chevrolet put this much effort into the Corvette.

You're amazed that GM's halo sports car deserved the amount of effort it's gotten?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

You can probably get it as an aftermarket vinyl wrap cheaper than you'd ever get it from the dealer.

Yeah but why get that when you can rock the ?DM factory option?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It really bugs me that I can't figure out the firing pattern just by looking at the flames shooting out one bank of the cylinders.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How come it never fails for JuanChai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's Maserati Gran Turismo:
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Maserati-GranTurismo_S_Automatic_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_17.jpg