Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

jonathan posted:

Anyways, I might be on the market for one, but getting completed kits into Canada is impossible to do legally. Transport Canada allows you to build your own from scratch, and parts found within Canada, but you aren't allowed to purchase a rolling kit engineered at a shop, and import it, because Safety. Sometimes I hate this loving country.

You're in luck!

http://www.westerncanadacobras.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Technically this could also go in the RADL thread, but it suits the spirit of this one better

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Pulse Performance Race Engineering built both the six rotor and have been Mad Mikes engine builders for the past season or two.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The idea was to see how cheap it'd have to be for too crazy to become too crazy not to buy. IOC was actually ok with it, but I managed to sell it locally.

Stay tuned for next year - I'll be building a FC for the Grassroots Motorsports $2015 challenge and driving it from Alberta to Florida.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

88h88 posted:

My favourite thing about these that I learned recently is that the sidelights under the pop ups are just plastic, there's no bulb in them. The side lights are just the pop ups switched on while folded down and it beams through the plastic. :v:

Flash to Pass lenses - sadly, a custom lost on all of north america.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

SSW must have the weirdest boner right now...

That thing is ridiculous. The world needs more shooting brakes / breadvans.

Edit: I just noticed the headlights. Holy poo poo, the amount of light you can throw if all those were replaced with Peterson LED sealed beams would be amazing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Why would you possibly want to mess with this perfection?

Exactly, hell if you could strobe those things in the right order you could get some serious independence day/ war of the world poo poo going on.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

RallyCross is the most fun you can have on 4 wheels on a budget. Fuckin' love it.

If ya'll haven't done it, I highly highly recommend checking it out.

I convinced one of my buddies to pick up an RX-8 after his rusted out AW11 split in half. He's properly enjoying the kiwi way to Rally-X.

I'll be joining him soon in mine...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That thing could make an excellent trades truck assuming that the topper walls are hollow and you could hide the hinges...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Someone is about to end up with something amazing - http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/1990-mazda-cosmo-20b-082115.html

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

MetaJew posted:

How terrible is an automatic in this generation rotary? It basically kills the engine in the RX-8 doesn't it?

That specific one has a shift kit, so better. Not ideal but it's more driving style vs the actual auto that ends up killing them. If you drove a Cosmo in anger all the time with the 4 speed auto it would live a long an happy life.

Edit: It's also worth noting that at the time - I'm not sure if the turbo 5 speed from the RX-7 would have given Mazda the margins they needed in regards to durability, so it's entirely possible that was another reason the Cosmo's ended up with the auto - they could withstand more power. That specific Cosmo @ 12psi probably makes 380hp.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 29, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

You can easily convert struts which are sealed to those which accept inserts. Standard operating procedure in the FB & FC RX-7 world.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I guy in our local RX-7 club just posted this on Facebook last night:

In his words: " I just finished a 1929 ford vintage speedster with a 6 port motor, custom intake, 4 barrel carb, and T2 trany."

I'll get more pictures and videos as soon as I can.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

There are a few companies now making liftkits for the miata which, surprise surprise, fit right onto the miata based exocet.
$7-8k for an exocet, $150 for the lift kit, $money for a donor miata. boom, you're in business.

My next project will be one of these with a turbo 13B or a FFR cobra with twin siamese warp 11's.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

I've had similar thoughts, but it seems the cheapest publicly available battery is still the nissan leaf 30kwh pack at $215/kwh even after the $1k core deposit. A $6500 30kwh pack on 2 warp 11s would probably give you ~100 mile range which isn't too shabby.

That's not even that bad. 15k for the Cobra kit, another 1k for the donor mustang. 20k for the motors, controllers, leaf batery, etc.
That's 36k for a Cobra with 1000ft/lb of torque that'll do 150km to a charge. I can't think of a better daily. A more mental version of this one: http://insideevs.com/ac-cobra-snake-oil/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I loving love caprice/impala wagons. drat.

Do we qualify as AI yet?

(Shameless cross post)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I want to see the RV2 setup applied to a whole loving school bus, complete with retro shag pile and titties.

That's basically what Rollin' Heavy magazine produces. I really need to get a subscription.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

If Gale Banks ever starts a church or a cult, I will be first in line. Because, drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96qlW8-vgYs

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

A fish bowl AMC pacer with the straight 6 would be fun, if only for the Wayne's world references.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This is apparently in the WTAC pits (as per a FB friend who's there).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

loving Hillclimbs have the best cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhS0W6i0lQ&t=124s

All cars in here are AI but the one at 2:04 is magical.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I know, right? I really wish more people found the logistics of war interesting--imagine if you could go watch a group of historical reenactors uncrating a fighter plane or building a Roman fort instead of just boringly running at each other and falling down and then retiring to camp to drink and be wearily cynical of the soldier's life :v:

This sounds like something James May should be hosting.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Gale Banks has some choice words on the subject every time someone brings it up. This is a pretty good summary: http://assets.bankspower.com/mag_article_files/100/8Lug_Jan13_carb.pdf

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

My S5 RX-7 actually does have a dual-length intake manifold. there's a barrel valve that switches the path at a certain RPM. Doesn't do as much on mine as it should, because my auxiliary ports (think VTEC, insofar as the ports provide more advanced intake timing and larger volume) are stuck closed.

This is also how Mazda was able to squeeze 180rwhp (~230bhp) out of the 13B-MSP in the RX-8. Adding a CAI looses you HP/does nothing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

What's the curb weight on the new Camry though? The GT86 is still 2800lb isn't it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Ex-Driver is difficult to find in a decent quality.

I'd also add "Riding Bean" in there, just because of Bean's car, and a bunch of other very recognizable real cars.

I have both of these on DVD - PM me for anyone interested.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

One of the fringe benefits of donks is that some of the suspension kits are well enough engineered that they also work great as a foundation for "Safari"/"Overland"/Rally-x builds.

Toss a donk kit on a ratty fifth generation Camaro. Add General Grabbers or your A/T tire of choice and you're all set to go rally crossing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

My old one is set up in my garage. It's basically dedicated to running the MotorTrend on demand app. What's better than the past seasons V8 UTE races as background noise?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, it's the roof line that really kills it. That exact kit looks excellent on the S chassis, the roof line works better with the styling and you end up with a second generation Camaro. Pretty sure that was actually the first version, which was later adapted to the FD.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sam Smith from Road & Track was at Ebisu a couple days ago. His Instagram posts belong here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEX0NmggkB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=tdvsezjana2x

Edit: One more https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEa6oHgi8h/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1thp08bdx7ltc

There are more, I just didn't link them.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 19, 2018

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm curious how so many LHD Ram vans ended up in Japan as well. What percentage are from an auction after the US bases upgraded vs. imported to be a cool kid with a Ram van?

All US military personnel can bring their personal vehicles with them when they deploy. You can then also chose to not bring it back with you.

Whole lotta USDM vehicles rolling around the NATO bases in Germany when I was there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

* where you can see it.

I wonder how many times they had to honor that warranty?

Mazda Canada was really busy with theirs in Alberta from 2006 onwards. In-laws both had two claims that resulted in new panels and resprays. So it's not just the Italians and it's been a problem for forever it seems.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

There's also Smyth kit cars. UTE conversion kits for VW Jettas, Police Chargers and soon to be WRX's.

https://www.smythkitcars.com

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/11/90s-inspiration-70s-platform-joe-fengs-rx-3/

Edit: "The RX-3 serves its purpose being a fast street car, making a whopping 420whp with a curb weight of around 2,000lbs (907kgs)." :hawaaaafap:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 26, 2018

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

There's also more seals that need to move freely to maintain compression.

Not letting the Doritos get up to temp and not revving them enough creates more carbon build up which creates even more opportunities for the seals to get stuck. So not properly exercising one once a month is worse than just letting it sit in the long run.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Hoooooly poo poo. We need to step up our game in AI.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Since the Dodge Challengers are now built in Ontario, Canada you really need a union jack on the roof and name it the Major General Ross and take it on a road trip down to DC. Ideally with a license plate of "1812".

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

You'd have to go through Europe first though (they were regulars fresh from fighting Napoleon, not Canadians).

True, so TVR Sagaris or Chimera. (Since Jag F-Types are Indian now.)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Along those lines, you should just give it a V12...off to Toys R Us I go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Tax evasion is cool! :downs:

Is it tax evasion or vehicle registration? Or both? It wasn't just taxes that made Montana the go to, is it?