Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Visited the Nurburgring earlier in the month. There was a lot of very, very expensive stuff sitting around. The yellow GT3 came off in a big way - entire front end was caved in. Owner was standing beside it smoking a cigarette. I don't think he loving cared. There were a ton of Corvettes, GT3s, M3s, but there was also some other really cool and interesting stuff like the red AE86 - had a chat to the owner who was a Norwegian guy that had spent the last 10 years building it. The Audi S8 that had been stripped out by a Finn (judging by the numberplate) was also nice - sadly I didn't find him to ask him about it. It was absolutely worth the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Midniter posted:

This is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

I hate to have to ask, but I really don't know Corvettes well. The thing went howling past me a couple of times and sounded goddamned amazing so I snapped a couple of pictures. What exactly am I looking at here? I have more angles I can post if it helps.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OK - I knew it was a C6 and thought it might have been one of the special editions but that's really about the limit of my knowledge of them.
These are the other two photos I took - sadly in a crowded paddock I wasn't able to get a good profile shot.

As I said there were a few Corvettes there. I had rented a prepped Swift from rent4ring and hearing those things go howling past me at full noise was pretty goddamned awesome. There were more than a few R8s as well - the V10 ones sound fantastic. Wasn't a cheap day by any stretch but I'd do it again in a heartbeat (well, maybe next leave). I did like seeing the three guys in Ferrari 458s driving them as they were meant to be driven.

gently caress it, I'm in Europe another week, I think I'll go back.

EDIT: Oh hang on, I got another shot of it as it was entering the track.

SECOND EDIT: hahahahah holy gently caress those front brakes

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 23, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't post a lot in AI because I'm at sea so often, but would there be interest in some photos from the ships I've worked on?

Also 13 good call on the 5cyl, I'd say you nailed that one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

All the poo poo is there to do it on my GT Four but you have to chip it and drill through some solid rails to get the system actually working. The generally accepted consequences are that you will melt your turbocharger after about 400km. It's mental to think of all the car manufacturers that could have a system sitting there but quietly disabled, it's loving Toyota.

Yeah but that's old Toyota. You know, the ones who made that unbelievably impressive illegal turbo. The ones who made things like Supras, Soarers, MR2s, GT Four Celicas, etc.

The Toyota that doesn't exist anymore :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

From the other side of the coin. A good laugh for Americans I imagine.

:lol:

warehouse in henderson :lol:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tobu posted:

This reminded me how skinny the r34.

Look at its wittle wheels!

gently caress the R34 was a handsome car.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A while ago I asked if there was interest in photos from the ships I've been on.
So, here we go.

My experience has mainly been with Sulzer engines, in particular the ZA40 series.
That's an engine with a 400mm bore and a 350mm stroke, for reference.
They develop 800kW per cylinder and I've worked with 8, 12, and 16 cylinder varieties.
The turbos on these engines develop 2.6 bar of pressure at optimum load, and dependent on engine, are either 354mm or 454mm.
These engines spin at 514rpm.
An 8cyl will develop somewhere around 6MW of power, a 12 8MW and a 16 10MW. We're talking a huge amount of energy.
Because of the pure size of them, you can forget using a starter motor, they're turned over with 30bar of compressed air.

I've been involved with a complete teardown of both an 8 and a 12 cylinder, so I'll start off with a few photos from those jobs.
I can't find a good picture of the 8, this is a 12:

The rest of these photos will be from the overhaul of an 8cyl as I have more pictures from that.
So, to start off with, here's a view from the top of the engine down into the cylinder after the head has been removed.

View of the engine half naked:

And here are the heads in question. Each cylinder has its own individual head. 4 valve arrangements. Each valve has their own rotator assembly.

Removing one of the remaining heads. The bolts are hydraulically pretensioned so have to be removed in the same fashion. From memory the unit provides up to 600 bar, not quite so extreme as the massive two-stroke engine that was posted earlier.

The view inside the crankcase.

Top of the engine, now fully naked.

Rocker gear. Pushrods and all. No DOHC bullshit here!

This is one of the individual fuel pumps coming out.

Setting up for removing the piston:

Coming up...

And there they are.

My next job was to climb into the crankcase and undo these. As you can see from the oil trail down the side of the liner they provide lubrication inside the cylinder.

The cadet is standard equipment.

These pistons are a little different to cars in that they have a spherical bearing. You can also make out in the crown a ratcheting arrangement. The whole crown rotates for the same reason exhaust valves do. I've heard a lot of people complain that it just introduces another point of failure, but I've not yet seen one of these ratchets fail, and to my mind at least it SHOULD extend the life of the crown.

Here's the flywheel and Geislinger coupling. The Geislinger is a torsional vibration damper which uses fluid to further help 'smooth out' the motion of the crankshaft and try to avoid massive jerking - again, these cylinders pump out 800kW per. I honestly have no idea of the torque figure beyond 'loving massive'.

Removing the cylinder liner:

Looking down into the cooling water passages:

Reaming the cylinder liners. From memory (this was 4 years ago) I think only two out of the 8 liners could be saved.

Big end bearing housing.

Doing some repairs on the interface between the liner and the engine frame. We're using Belzona putty. Great stuff, sets hard like you would not believe.

Taking the measurements of the big end bearing housing. From memory most of them were pretty good but there was one that was out by some stupid number, something like .5 of a millimeter. I remember it was visible.

Testing the crack-off pressure of the fuel pump. I'd have to look at the manual, but in the neighborhood of 300-500 bar.

Camshaft rockers. LOL GM

Next job was removing the charge air cooler. Not exactly in the best shape anymore.

Finally got it out. Took about two hours.

Pistons have all been checked and reassembled, all coming back in now.

Top three rings are gas control, bottom is a scraper ring.

The yellow ring is to help compress the rings as the piston goes in. Mind your loving fingers!!!

Here's a view of one of the piston crowns, showing again the spherical bearing design.

And that's pretty much that. It seems I didn't take as many photos of putting the engine back together as I did taking it apart.
I have a shitload more photos from other jobs I've done (including the teardown of one of the generators after an overspeed incident) so if there's interest I'd be happy to put more posts like this together.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's exactly why I posted the photo of me sitting inside the crankcase.

Kastein I've had a look through all of my ship folders and I can't find a single other picture of the ratcheting arrangement. BUT! I do happen to have a service manual for that engine. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it.
EDIT:
Here you go.
http://www.marinediesels.info/4_stroke_engine_parts/The_4_stroke_piston.htm

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

revmoo posted:

It is very interesting how most of the technology just scales up with no change. Fascinating pics

I think you'll find that's scales down. Marine tends to get the new stuff first. That's why we have electro-hydraulic valves :D

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EightBit posted:

The engines already cost stupid amounts of money, they probably don't notice the cost bump relative to increased efficiency/power etc.

Yep. And if they see even a 1% decrease in their fuel bill, just about anything becomes worth it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kumeu?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I promised another photo post, so here we go. I've previously posted photos of one of the engines, my ships have all been diesel-electric (or hybrid if you prefer) so this is a post on one of our generators. As I mentioned previously we had a major overspeed incident which necessitated taking apart the generator to make sure it hadn't torn itself to pieces. I'm sure you can imagine a 6600V generator with close to a thousand amps is NOT something you want arcing out.
You will have to forgive the quality of these images, they are taken with my old cellphone camera which was not the best.
So, this is the generator with the front off, showing the rotating assembly (or rotor if you want to be pedantic).

Another view:

Setting up to pull the rotor out:

And out it comes:

Windings:

Raised up on jacks so we can access the pedestal bearings:

Inside the pedestal bearing:

Seems I didn't take as many photos as I thought. But that's the generator open.
I'll have a think about what to post next. I have a ton more photos including our drydock and overhauls of various equipment, but at some point I'll need to be explaining what the equipment is and why it's there, so the posts from now will be a bit more in depth for me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm thinking about what to post next. I have a few collections of photos from overhauls of various equipment as well as day to day operations.
I can also post drydock photos, but as I've mentioned a lot of things are going to need some explaining so it'll be a little more effort for me to prepare a post.
May I ask if people would be more interested in, say, an overhaul of a lubricating oil purifier, various equipment in bits from drydock (which will need a lot more writing from me), or perhaps even just a post about various equipment on ship, with function and purpose explained?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's some AI poo poo from the Porsche museum:
914/8

Yes, you read that right.
They made a special edition for one of the higher-ups with an 8cyl. gently caress I love the Germans.
It doesn't look a lot different than a 6, but I assure you, and anyone who has visited the museum will confirm, it's an 8.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Boat post incoming!

I thought about what to post next and I think I'll start by going over some of the machinery we have onboard, that way I can later post various overhauls without having to explain what everything is.

So, where to start.

One of my jobs when I was a cadet was to find out how the lights in my room stay on. The 1st actually said that to me in so many words. I asked him what he meant, and he said 'well, all the power on the ship comes from fuel, so go from there.'
So, I went and traced out the fuel system up to the engine. From the engine to the generator, and from there to the switchboard room. And from there, to the local distribution station. He didn't make me find which individual wire ran to my room, thankfully.
So I think we'll follow that same route.
I'll make a very rough diagram of the fuel flow, then discuss the electrical side of things, as well as getting into the various supporting machinery.

So, to begin, fuel is loaded onto the ship (we call it bunkering, which I guess is a holdover from the coal days) into the various double bottom tanks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bottom
You might say it seems dangerous to have fuel sitting directly above the sea, with just one layer of steel to stop it flooding out, and I guess there is some truth to that given that the MARPOL (marine pollution) regulations now forbid it on newbuilds. But my answer to that is always going to be 'well don't loving crash then.'
The double bottom tanks are equipped with heating coils, and I'll take a moment here to talk about the fuel we use.
Some ships (not many) use distillate fuels (diesel oil.) That's what we call the dream life.
What we burn is residuals - heavy fuel oil.
This poo poo.

That photo's not doctored in any way - it's all but solid at room temperature. Viscous as all gently caress, sticky as hell (it took me an hour to get it off my knuckles), toxic as gently caress, and just goddamned unpleasant to work with in just about every way imaginable. But it's cheap, it burns, and it will get you from A to B - with a lot of treatment.
Which gets us back to the heating coils inside the tanks. You can't pump this poo poo at room temperature. Well, you CAN, but you have a very unhappy sounding transfer pump. So for that reason, it gets heated - normally to 30-40 C. You then have a very thick but flowable mass. The first stage of treatment is to pump it to a settling tank. Even though it's 'heavy' fuel oil, it is still lighter than water, so you have a tank with an angled bottom to allow all the water to collect and be drained off.

Pictured: Not fuel.
So once or twice a watch I kick the drain valve until all the water is gone. Generally your fuel will want to sit in the settling tank for around 24 hours.

From there, the fuel oil is fed to purifiers. These are centrifuges, which do effectively the same job as gravity in the settling tank, but much, much faster. I can't remember offhand how fast they spin but I want to say around 10k rpm.
Here's a diagram.

The brown going in is the mixture, the yellow going out is the nice clean (hopefully) fuel, and the brown heading down the side drains to the sludge tank.
The centrifuges do a good job, and they are set to alarm if the water content is too high in case there's an unexpectedly large amount of water in the feed, so that you can drain off the settling tank if need be.
The centrifuges are also equipped with a preheating coil, and generally we try to maintain the temperature around say 95 degrees.
The cleaned fuel is then sent to the day service tank, which contains enough fuel for one day's sailing without the purifiers running.
Because of the nature of the fuel, and because it requires heating, it is then sent to a fuel module for regulation. Here's a diagram I found explaining the fuel layout from service tank to engine - varies from ship to ship, but it covers the basics.

So, ignoring the 3 way valve from the DO tank, you have a pair of suction strainers and two feed pumps (they refer to them as supply pumps). You'll find most things on ships are twinned, that way you have a running pump and a standby. Passes from there to another set of filters, then to a flowmeter, and into a buffer tank - that gives you a little time should the running pump fail. The pressure after the feed pumps will vary dependent on ship, but I'm used to seeing 5-6 bar. From there, it runs to the circulation pumps which will boost the pressure - I'm used to seeing 12-13 bar - before being fed to heaters. After the heaters I would expect to see the fuel around 120-125 degrees Celsius. At this temperature the viscosity will have dropped enough for the fuel to be very very fluid - viscosity of around 15 centistokes. This is incredibly important!
So to that degree you will see a device there called a viscotherm, which you will notice is connected in red to the heaters. The viscotherm monitors the viscosity of the fuel - which is a function of temperature - and regulates the amount of heating based on that. After that, another set of filters, before entering the fuel rail to be supplied to the engine fuel pumps. As I posted in my overhaul photos, each engine has its own fuel pump, boosting pressure to hundreds of bars for proper atomisation.
The return rail runs back to the buffer tank, as shown.

So the basic flow is DB tanks -> transfer pump -> settling tank -> purifier -> service tank -> fuel module -> engine.
A little bit more in depth than a car, for sure.
As I'm sure you can imagine, with all that heating and hot fuel, the purifier room is one of the hottest places in the entire ship. I took a photo when we were in Brasil because I knew no one would believe me otherwise.

That about covers the fuel system. I'll go into detail about some of the other machinery we have on board in another post.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

beedeebee posted:

:stare: This is crazy. The part around 1:55!
Also, why is the co-pilot always saying: flat right, maybe. What's up with the maybes?

What does 'absolute' mean in this context?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rally+pace+notes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemba_Inertia_Notes_System, "absolute" means "absolutely flat out"

did you honestly just lmgtfy me? goddamn

here have some photos of my ship going from full ahead to full astern

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MrChips posted:

Couple of questions:

1) Is that a variable-pitch propeller, and

2) Is that safety wire in those bolts that I assume are holding the blades into the hub?
1 Yes

2 Yes

Slim Pickens posted:

Is that just really bad rolling shutter? If it is, drat that's fast for such a huge prop.

The photos were taken minutes apart and I've actually posted them out of sequence to try create the illusion of going from ahead to astern, but from memory it's about a minute to change

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Hey now, a 305 could easily keep up with Ferrari's best... in, say, an Atom or Lotus 7 clone.

Probably give a kitted-out NA Ferrari SW20 a run for its money

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

rscott posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Utc6z

Guy makes a dohc v10 with a bridgeport and a lathe

Fan-loving-tastic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

well to be fair it probably would work

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress the rollover is that car wearing a goddamned monocle?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MetaJew posted:

The headlights are pretty cool, too:
(gif made from the only video I could find of the headlights being turned on-- after looking for two minutes)

uuuunfffffffffffffffffff

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

dissss posted:

I had an extra week off so I decided a trip to the car museum was in order.

Where is this?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gotta be honest I just don't find stuff like this all that impressive anymore
mental cars with V13 engines and 7 turbos are way cooler because they're some dude seeing what he can do

ship stuff is the worst kind of boring, it's an engine literally designed to run on as little fuel as possible with as little maintenance as possible

it's the 4AFE of the car world

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure it was molten sodium, since molten lead would absorb too many neutrons to keep a reaction going, and is quite frankly nowhere near reactive or exciting enough. Molten sodium and (IIRC) potassium cooled reactors were common back then, I think we mostly stayed with PWR and BWR setups though, it was the soviets that liked exotic poo poo like liquid sodium, RBMK, etc.

yeah this sort of poo poo is awesome

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh, a quick check lead me to believe it was lead-bismuth when I went to look stuff up. Either way, it was a nuclear reactor cooled by liquid metal with is loving awesome and hopefully is more interesting to mr giant cargo ship engine parts are boring up there.

should probably point out i actually work as a marine engineer so yeah to me this stuff is everyday

click the ? by my post if you want to see some photos of ships i've been on, pretty sure I posted about an engine overhaul in this thread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

supercharger belts and literal tons per square inch of boost.

cams at least were run on straight gear drives and we didn't quite hit tons, but we were rolling with 2.6 bar on the turbo so what's that, 37 psi?

there are some crazy cool things out there like hydraulic valves these days though, so no valvetrain at all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh yeah it's finally been miniaturised? ship diesels have had them for a while now

hahahahaha all these articles going CAMLESS ENGINES ARE THE WAY OF THE FUTURE from like 2014 when ships have had them since the early 2000's at least

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

It was largely sarcastic. I get dealing with something every day means its boring as poo poo for you, but its still kinda awesome to the rest of us, so you'll have to excuse our excitement. :shobon:

yeah fair enough
have a photo of a piston emerging by way of apology

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The SS United States is the most powerful ship ever built with 240,000 HP, enough to propel a (just under) 1000 ft, 45k ton ship to a top speed of 44 Mph (38 knots).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

Sadly she's been decaying in southern Philadelphia for the past 19 years and is at risk of being scrapped because the preservation society can't afford the $64,000/month cost of keeping her there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcu7AQYsDco

words can't even begin to describe how loving insane 35 knots is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That makes me wonder, assuming the torque:horsepower ratio to be similar in the SS United States, it should be producing more than a full mile-ton of torque.

if it was single shaft maybe, the wiki talks about 4 props so only 60khp per
also steam turbine so the rated rpm is gonna be far higher with an associated drop in torque

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that's incredible

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Enzenx posted:

The best part of this is the shock diamonds in the exhaust as these guys go flying up the hill.

shock diamonds are proof that nature loves metal

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Fracking fluid compressor?

marine diesel aux blower

would put money on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007