Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

That is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

mobby_6kl posted:

My Summer Car is out for early access! http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/

The only downside so far is that it seems that we have been lied to, and there's no voiceover by an extremely Finnish redneck like in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM

E: Holy poo poo their website is :krad: too: http://www.amistech.com/msc/

I... put some of the front suspension on and then thought I'd go for a drive in the van. I crashed and died. 10/10

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BlackMK4 posted:

The best part is DI engines are eventually going to need particulate filters.

They are already pushing for a soonish implementation in Europe.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 10, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate that, cars should driven, not stored away as "investments".

The same thing has been happening with whisky for some years. Rich people buy up all of these fancy bottlings, and never even taste them. They could just as well have stale tea in them, for all they care.

Drives me mad.

Same here. I get it if it's a one off historical car, but drat stop making cars too expensive to drive. They have plenty of time to sit when combustion engines are banned. Enjoy them while we can.
That's also why I'm very afraid that the GTV6, which is my "reachable dream car" is going to start going up in price like crazy. I want to buy one in 3-4 years time. Please remain affordable :ohdear:. I want to enjoy the Busso before it's too late. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Way cooler than some overweight truck masquerading as a cadillac

At first glance I thought it was James May's Alfa-Saab.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
But don't read the YouTube comments...

VVVV: Thank gently caress for that.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 8, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

spleen merchant posted:

Was a bit hard to get decent shot. A unicorn car for me - very tiny, smaller/lower than an NA mx-5. I should have taken some interior shots, it was all toggle switches and diamond quilted leather.

Nice pictures, one of my favorite cars!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

It's pretty common on conversions. A lot don't have clutches either. if you're pooting around town you leave it in 2nd or 3rd. hitting the highway leave it in 4th

If you want metal powder, you floor it in high gear at low speed.

Yeah, they look like the perfect thing to have in conversions (like Karmann Ghias or Bugs). Feel like shifting and getting mad acceleration? Drive like a normal car and shift through the gears. Feel like just having an auto? Leave it in 2nd or something and just drive.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVaaAQSGuOw

Found this pretty cool.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Project Binky really is amazing. Shame it'll be 5000 months until the next episode.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Hahaha, that's filmed in my town. Instantly recognized the UFO water tower.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiUphpBwtWw&t=22s

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wow. so drat cool. Hell I'd want that in my current car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Am I the only one that don't like the gap between the wheel and fender to be too overtly uneven?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In general on "stanced" cars.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Well it wasn't ready for Hoonigans to destroy it...

I think it looks badass as gently caress.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I saw some dude using one of those remote controlled ones. Looks pretty fun.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Horsepower has increased much more in the US than in (probably) most of Europe. I'd wager that most cars driven in Sweden are sub 180hp. If that. Probably mostly do -100km/h in ~9-10 seconds as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Humbug posted:

Horsepower in Europe has always been much lower than in the US. We never had a high hp era like the US in the 60's. My 69 beetle with 43 hp was pretty drat quick compared to the other common cars of the era like the morris minor, 2cv or fiat 500. Back in the 80's, my dad had a Peugeot 505 that was 16 feet long and about 3000 pounds with only 79 hp. I'd say 180 hp is quite an improvement, even if i think that's too high for an European average.

Yeah I really doubt the average is anywhere close to 180hp. I'd guess between 100-140hp.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

hackbunny posted:

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but horsepower is taxed in Italy: you pay extra for each kW above 180, and it adds up quickly. I believe other countries might have the same or similar limits, because I noticed most sporty non-sports cars (like the WRC homologation specials of old) stay just below the 180 kW/240 hp limit

We are taxed on CO2 emissions in Sweden. Previously we were taxed on vehicle weight.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Stats rules everything around me.

Cool! I was trying to google some stats but only found displacement. Well wasn't that far off!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Solus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlJWl7IOwg

I normally hate widebody kits but I gently caress with this

It's nice except for how it makes the headlights look.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

I've had worse days.

Very nice! Reminded me to sub to your YouTube channel on my new account!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Or why not just buy and import a Soviet tank/car/truck/AFV?
http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 9, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I need a GTV6. :(

Edit: VVV: Didn't pay that much attention as my thoughts instantly went to dreaming about GTV6 ownership. Absolutely love the Alfetta GTV look, and the busso is really the engine to go for. My "affordable classic dream car".

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 7, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^ I unironically love this and I'm happy that the ad isn't on the same continent because I'd buy it in a heartbeat. So. drat. Cool. The only drawback is the 4 cylinder.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What is that pole just doing out in the middle of nowhere anyway? I see another pole at the entry but I have no idea what they were for. Phone, maybe?

Old phone pole. There are a few more along the road later in the clip. No wires though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

There are wires on the poles later in the clip.

Guess I'm blind.

Wally Joyner posted:

:ssh: Its the same 258ci 6-cylinder found in Jeeps of the era.

From what I've read, the draw-back happens to be the rats-nest of vacuum lines involved in the carb setup, but 4.0L HO head, and subsequent FI setup, will swap on with little difficulty so there is nothing to be afraid of just embrace the wagon

Why did you have to tell me that. :( Now I want one even more.

DoLittle posted:

Group 2 GTV

GTV8:

Why must you tempt me. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Old landyachts are cool. Hoovie made me want a Park Avenue, but I'd rather have a V8 and RWD. Still...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I need this in my life.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Finger Prince posted:

It's odd how in the UK, practically every car, let alone truck, has a dipped/low beam adjustment knob on the dash so that you can always lower your beams to adjust for whatever you're towing (I think the fancier ones do it automatically), but thats not an option I've ever seen on any North American vehicle.

That's odd. All cars I've been in that didn't have Xenon (self leveling) have had that option. Usually it's like 0-3 for the amount of passengers, where 0 usually is driver+front passenger. Not that I ever really remember to because I'm not transporting Americans in the back.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As a fan of sick interiors and concept cars I give you the Alfa Romeo Delfino from 1983. I has a V6 Busso under the bonnet and we all know those sound the loving tits. It also has one of the raddest interiors ever plus POP UPS. Wingmirrors? No. This concept adheres to the first rule of Italian driving as explained by the late, great Raul Julia from the Gumball Rally in 1976...

That's badass. Anything with a Busso V6 is automatically badass as well, so they didn't really need to even bother with the rest to be honest.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
As a eurogoon, American muscle cars :iiam:. 305's 496's, header 94'ers 53'ers I have no idea wtf people are on about. Are there any good resources? I'm being teased by a '73 Camaro for sale nearby, but I don't know poo poo and don't even know if it's a good car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's no shortage of forums out there but why not this one? :v:

73 will be the tail end of the early second generation - IMO the best looking second generation cars since bumper laws did not treat that design well. Factory horsepower levels will already be down from the early cars but that really only matters if you want to keep the car stock. It either already has a small-block Chevy V8, or it's easy to put one in, and that's an engine where the sky is the limit.

At least here the problem is finding one that hasn't been utterly beaten to death by now, but also isn't priced in the stratosphere.

I see. Yeah I kinda like how it looks, especially from the back. The car for sale is sub $4k but is stripped from paint but supposed to have a working engine and tranny. There is something cool about American muscle cars, and there is a huge following in Sweden. Problem is, as always, parts availability. I know about the bumper laws and the environmental "choke" in the 70's on American cars (but not 100% on the timeline). The few parts places (surprisingly hard to google) are kinda expensive, but if I were to get an American car I'd love for it to be mechanically sound but kinda ratty looking.
Unfortunately swapping in engines is something that require re-registering the car which in turn requires paperwork from the manufacturer and/or using the custom build clause (which is a bit of a nightmare). Basically stock stuff or a load of hoops to jump through.
American V8's etc are cool, but it's kinda hard to keep up with the lingo of all the engines and mods.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If it's the car I think it is on Blocket, hooo boy do you have your work cut out. Muscle cars command a big premium, but if you can afford to go to at least 100kkr you'd get something that wasn't a total project.

Also, even though Bilprovningen has been getting more up to date on this stuff, no inspector will tell the difference between two small block engines if you don't start going crazy with tunnel ram intakes and poo poo. My -72 El Camino has had an 80s van engine for (from what I can tell) at least 15 years and no problems with inspection. People put crate engines of varying power levels and sizes in all kinds of old iron and never really run into any problems.

Yeah it probably is (Ängelholm). That's what I feared as classic American cars usually cost an arm and a leg, but I really have no clue. For 100kkr I'd rather go European performance because easier to get parts and I know them better. I'd love a project, but in all honesty I'm soon to be fresh out of med school, so in reality I'd most likely end up as one of those "Selling my project after 15 years of it sitting under a tarp" no matter how much I wish I'd have the time. A man can dream though, a man can dream....

(It doesn't help that I'm a proper time optimist.)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't mind wrenching occasionally but especially without a garage and lift I much rather just drive than mess with the cars, which is why the miata is still mostly stock. And instead of trying to get an ancient rustbucket to work reliably, I'd probably get the current Mustang once it's a bit cheaper used - I'm sure you could get five hunnet horsepower out of the GT with no impact on reliability, and it will be cheaper in the long term.

I like wrenching when not under time pressure but it kinda needs to be fun and manageable. I find it very relaxing then. But on the other hand, there is nothing worse than "oh poo poo have to get this sorted so I can get to work tomorrow!".
There really is a huge following when it comes to American cars in Sweden, almost ridiculously so for how small a population we have. I would have thought that someone had found a good European source though.
As you say, getting a newer Mustang is probably a much better idea for a Muscle car, and I must say I'm very partial (which probably means I'm weird) to the Terminator Cobra Mustangs. Out of the new muscle cars I really like the looks of the Challenger. It's just too mean-looking. But at that point I'm entering Giulia-territory (although no glorious V8!) and that car is just so drat good looking that I'm afraid to test drive it as I'd probably make stupid financial decisions..

I'd love to find a V8 car (doesn't even have to be fast) and own one for a while just to experience it before it's "too late".

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Hyundai genesis might also be another option. And Japan doesnt have much for recent V8 options that arent SUVs or quite expensive even used. I dont know how the 90s/early 00s used Lexus market looks like where youre at, which is where most of Japan's small car V8 offerings existed.

Theres always the e92 M3 though.....

Grakkus posted:

Your best bet for a cheap V8 will be something European, a BMW 540/740, Mercedes S500/E55 AMG or something like that. I'm personally on the hunt for a Jaguar XJR for the same reasons as you (if you don't care about it being fast then X308 XJs are dirt cheap).

If you're looking for a classic American thing then there's a huge industry in Poland around importing them in all sorts of varying conditions. For example:
https://allegro.pl/kategoria/zabytkowe-amerykanskie-18984?order=p&bmatch=baseline-n-ann-1-2-0131
You can also get great quality bodywork done there for a fraction of the price in Scandinavia (or budget quality work for like €100/body panel), and there's a lot of places that will rebuild hard-to-find mechanical stuff for a good price, I had my W124s automatic variable-slip diff rebuilt by a guy for like €70 plus shipping and he did a great job. The only caveat is that it's a hard (and expensive) industry to navigate without local knowledge and the language. I'm fluent enough to pass as a local and am actually helping a couple of Norwegian buddies get their cars restored, so if you're curious shoot me a PM :)

The Germans scare me a bit though as 95% of cars are ruined by POs. I'm not that into American cars. There are a few that I find really cool (like the second gen Corvair), but in general I find that they are cool as hell when in the US, but in Europe many feel a bit out of place. I do have a soft spot for the Lexus LS400. It's not fast, but kinda reliable and sound great. There aren't many for sale, but they seem less sensitive to stupid POs and people don't tend to be as harsh to them as with German cars.
I've also heard good things about Poland. There are a few guys in the Swedish Alfa Romeo club that seem to swear by going to Poland for services etc. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

But yeah. Maybe Lexus LS400 is the way to go for a V8.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xzzy posted:

It'd be an entirely different story if the tires had gone over the car a few inches closer to the driver compartment.

But humans Americans love to attribute survival to some benevolent exterior power. :shrug:

(sorry)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

This is glorious!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh. On our expedition (big SUV for those across the pond) the jack is inside a back cover in the rear. One day I decide I better check to make sure everything is there and there was a wrapped condom. The wife was not amused.

The truck had to be the gently caress wagon express.

:barf: I would be cleaning the whole car 2 seconds after I found that.

Fakeedit: Remember that Top Gear episode with the convertible E30s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

wesleywillis posted:

SEXpedition.

Add the S before the badge and watch the level of amusement on the wife.