Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

poo poo, now I'm going to have to look up the prices of Avantimes on Autotrader. (False edit - under£3k? Hmmm.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
A few pics here from Doha, in the desert. The slip-road alongside one of the local malls is always lined with cars for sale, trucks, trailers (there was a trailer tent there this week. Who uses a trailer tent in the desert?) And I thought I saw something interesting parked up for sale...

This is a BMW 3.0 CS, early 70s. Lovely, lovely. Poor condition, and hasn't been registered recently, so it would be a money pit, I'm sure. But so pretty.

There were a couple of other bits and bobs, too. Mad quad.

Old Caddy.

Mental sand buggy. Look at those rear tyres.

Nice new Silverado next to something interesting in blue?

Yup, a 4-door Chevy Nova. Wonder what the engine is?

And really, who would buy this? A highly tuned rally rep in a colour that just screams 'I have poor impulse control!'

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
OK, maybe not poor, but not great. The driver's window wouldn't close, and that meant the the interior was pretty mucky. The shut-lines were very inconsistent, and made me think that it'd had a few bumps and bashes. Those are non-standard wheels, I think, although they are BMW. Also, the guy was selling it on the side of a busy road - it's not a trailer queen!

When I first came to Doha years ago, my American friend ran an early Porsche 928 manual. Metallic brown, lovely honey velour upholstery. It spent more time of the road than on, but I regret not buying it from him when he left. Maybe I should call the BMW owner up, see what he wants for it...

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
What's the best place for these? Here? Hope so. :ohdear:

I went to the 2013 Prescott Speed Hill Climb on Sunday, and it was.... not miserable. That's not the right word. It was interesting. It was raining really hard, and a lot of the drivers were pissed at not being able to post good times. I'm no photographer, and my camera died anyway (which I took as my cue to leave). My dad was there, supporting a couple of mates who were driving. I just blagged a competitors' wristband.

The noise was lovely, and the smells were lovely. These should all be thumbnails, and should pop.

Didn't get the number of this one, sorry. Lovely smells.

A few things lined up, getting ready.

AC/GN Beetle

Lea Francis Cirrus Special

Alvis Speed 25 Sports. This is just at the start line - short straight...

Gillow Special. ...then a hairpin called Orchard Corner

Frazier Nash Terror III. :black101: Going around orchard.

Don't know what this is.

Then up around Pardon Hairpin (plenty of cars getting quite slow here, it's quite an incline.)

Gnat. Then off up the hill.

Some lovely stuff in the carparks. A matt grey Lancia Coupe.

Is that a Saab Sonetti peeking out?

Good fun, despite the rain. I didn't stay long enough for the big stuff - after I left, the Napier Bentley went up, with its 24 litre engine. There were also two ERAs, R4A and R4D. It would have been nice to have seen those. Next year. And I'll take spare batteries for the camera.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Am I in the right thread? Is this a Cortina, or a Granada? Either way, I think I could sleep flat out in the back.

"It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
SPOTTED! in my local Sainsbury's! I wouldn't normally take a picture of an M Coupe, but it's nice to see one that isn't Imola Blue.

It's a big fast banana, and I love it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Went mall-ratting yesterday morning, doubled back when I saw this. Lookit dat itty-bitty wheelbase.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Cat big.

I live in a boring, small Gulf state, miles away from anywhere in interesting. Tonight, I popped into my boring car to visit the boring local market to use their boring ATM. ON the way out, I saw something from the corner of my eye... I doubled back, and snapped a quick picture.

That's what I think it is, isn't it?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
TinEye didn't like it - what is it? A McLaren, yes? Why the NART vents all over its bum?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

Post more F1 poo poo! :allears:

I saw one on the road once, as a young man. It must have been sometime about '93. I was walking home, about 10pm, in my home town in the Midlands of the UK, and it was fuelling up at the BP station. It was K8MCL, which I think was one that McLaren used as a press car, or something. The driver came out of the garage, popped the door, spent a minute getting straight, then drove off down the long straight A-road out of town. I just stopped walking for a minute, and stood under a streetlight, listening as he went up through the rev range a couple of times. Lovely.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Was out at the weekend, and saw this white blob on the distance...

...enhance...

Shame it wasn't running, but nice to see it out and about getting used.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I was wandering around The Hague in Holland this cold, sunny morning, and spotted this rear end down a side street, I had to go and look.

Turns out it's a proper convertible Citroen 2CV, rather that the factory roll-roof. I didn't know where to put the pictures, so here they are. I'm just amazed that someone's done it. I mean, why?

I wonder what it's done to the rigidity?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
That Moke is amazing.

Saw these four last week, out and about. You know when you see a pathetic stray kitten, and all you want to do is take it home?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
My brother came by in his VW.

It's a cutie, but it's a dog to drive.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I wish I lived at RoadRoadRoadRoad.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Are these guys trying to Eiffel Tower a nuclear explosion?

Search your heart. You already know the answer.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

honda whisperer posted:

So concept art for the mad Max sequel?

How about a Mad Max Lego Movie, where all the cars are made by people like KillHour? Original idea, do not steal.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I thought some of you here would be interested in this.

I saw my dad today for the first time in a while - we live in different counties - and he gave me my birthday present early.

This is an apprentice's model - a first piece of casting done by a young teenaged engineer near the start of their work with Austin. It's a model A-Series block, cast in brass from probably a wooden original. It's brass, I think, or maybe bronze, and about 1 kg, 2 lbs.

I'm going to put it on my desk and store my pens in it.

My dad began as an apprentice at Austin, maybe 60 years ago?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Is it possible to use the lost wax method of casting on a 3-D printed model? That might be interesting.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Popped in quickly today to visit my brother who works at a place that restores Healeys. A lot of ice-blue over cream there, and some interesting race cars, including Pat Moss' Mini Cooper that she rallied in the Monte Carlo.

But I was more taken by this "before" car. It'll be lovely in 12-months, after £100k, I'm sure. But I thought it charming as it was.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think I've seen this here -

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1181734493436219398

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Don't quite know where to put these, so here will do. Was out this morning and doubled back to take some pictures of these four. Why were they all parked together? Why in the middle of nowhere? Who owns them? It's a mystery.

I liked the Ford.

On the same trip, I also saw a Rolls Royce Cullinan.

But that doesn't deserve to be here, I know.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

um excuse me posted:

Is the car a $250k experience or is it in the grasp of a collector at this point? I'd assume the latter, but I've never driven one so I can't say for sure. $250k can buy a shitload of car bliss, it would be a hard argument to the former.

It's a collector, for sure. The value is in the low mileage - as soon as you drive it, the value drops. If you want one to drive, you don't need to spend that much.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
My brother works at a place where they look after some old race and rally cars. He popped into town the other day to pick up our parents because it was raining, and my mum ended up in the back of the 7th place finisher in the 1964 Monte Carlo.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you - the shop he works at has a steady stream of interesting stuff, and the WhatsApp media folder for our chats is full of interesting bits, mostly stuff he's sent me, but I try to reciprocate.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Steve French posted:

Why is there a picture of my bicycle in there??

I mean, it's a good bicycle. Just did a double take.

Sorry - he's a cyclist, and I was showing him some of the cool bikes in the WAYWT bikes thread. I'm moving back to the UK from abroad in 7 months, and need his advice on the kind of thing to go for!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Godzilla07 posted:

I spent a week in Italy. Here are some cars that were interesting to my American eyes:

Rome is great for car-spotting. So many Smarts.

This is my favourite spot from two years ago -

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
This pretty French-registered 992 (I think?) has been parked on the pavement in my UK town for a week. The thing that elevates it to awesome is that the back starts are taken up by a wicker picnic hamper. Not a super-rare spot, but I liked it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone posted this yet?

https://i.imgur.com/894BAgd.mp4

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
This was a... ah... rare spot. Waiting at the lights in the next town over.

Edit - the "604" sticker nearside top of the screen makes me think it's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKJCjrYibY

Interesting that the video description says that it made its debut at the FoS in 2021, but it's a 2020 plate and registration.

Teach fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 31, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

While I know that carwow/matt watson can be irritating, his last video on the spierling is something to behold

https://youtu.be/TptzkkbC1vE

a sub 2s not to sixty and a sub 8 quarter mile

Saw that video this morning, and according to my napkin maths, that's 1.2g horizontal acceleration, and an overall (including gravity) or 1.56g.

I just don't know what that would feel like. Insane.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

WTFBEES posted:

Truck show picture dump of awesome things and nothing but positivity incoming:

I think I enjoyed every last one of those truck - thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfTCKXQho8

Onboard: Porsche 962 Racing on wet Spa

Dont sleep on this one

Nice.