Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

that's not :mad: it's :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clearly that's a cat-front exhaust, mister. :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

God, please tell me you have to unbolt the exhaust tip before you can get in the car. :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that was more for the case of gases - methane, ethane, etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I seriously LOVE this track in Forza 4 but his excitement matches mine when driving a D class and slower car on some of those straights.

Now I want to see a Let's Play of Forza 4 that consists entirely of going to the real tracks and driving the balls off of them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Friar Zucchini posted:

Oh, you want me to stack cinder blocks? gently caress no, I ain't having this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc

Between BigDog and the GRASP lab manhacksquadrotors, modern robotics research seems to be dedicated to making life more creepy and alarming.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

I realize we all like turbochargers, but I have no idea how some of you could miss the point of that engine after hearing that video. The point IS that it's naturally aspirated and sounds like a choir of Pavarottis being blown up with napalm.

Also, there's this:

I'm not sure which thread it belongs in honestly.

Looks like a sexbot for fish men

And my favourite engine note description of all time was something like "Luciano Pavarotti caught in a mangle". Can't remember where I read that but for some reason I want to say that dude who owned a husky and wrote for Car and Driver years ago.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
First time I've seen one of these in the wild:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seatbelts posted:

Check out this cool Iranian willys clone... before they all get blown up

Geez, don't lean your arm on the spare, I guess.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I've finally figured out what a dogbox is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
He keeps it in a concrete bunker the rest of the week, right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That wonderful wind-in-your-face feeling, at idle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LiquidRain posted:

This video in particular is amazing. You hear the sound of the 787b ricocheting off the buildings it passes, before it passes you. It's as if a dozen 787s pass you before the real thing does. It's the Doppler effect taken to an extreme. And it is awesome.

gently caress a four-rotor, my ears are telling me that thing is powered by ghosts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

tbb9 posted:

Am I understanding this correctly that he's turning a knob on that steering wheel mid corner?

I keep thinking that you mean he's hauling on a brodie knob in an F1 car and the image brings me joy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

gently caress, just get a Factory Five if you're going to kill yourself:
https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/mk4-roadster/

Hey, whatever happened to the guy whose boss gave him a replica Cobra? I remember the start being all "YOU WILL DIE" and people posting pictures of the trippy part of 2001 and then I don't know if he ever posted again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At least you can count on them to not be Fieros.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

How does it cool the engine?

It's so loving cool all on its own the radiator is unneccessary

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Why? You can fit aftermarket dragons to engines if your local laws allow it. Not all states have Smaug checks.

You bastard. :haw:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Gels that theaters use to light their stage would work too.. they're colored, and transparent, and designed to live comfortably being baked by stage lights. You can buy enormous rainbow packs for like 10 bucks, color your dash all kinds of insane ways.

I don't want a rainbow dash.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Parking slot width seems to be slightly different depending on which strip mall you pull into, also.

You'd think there'd be a standard size out there and the line painting guys would just follow that when they show up to the job site.. but nope.

The length of row isn't going to be the same every time, so they have to vary the stall width in order to get a whole number of spaces.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

This was posted in the Aeronautical thread and did not get any love.
I give you the Gimli Glider

Canadian pilot glides a 767 with a dead stick for nearly 40 miles and lands at an airstrip converted into a race track during an event with no front landing gear. Everybody lives.
Story is here.
http://www.damninteresting.com/the-gimli-glider/

With the front gear up it's like one of those parallel-bar gymnasts going "tadaaaaa" and bowing after a perfectly sick dismount

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo I Never Expected To See

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember reading C&D back in the 90s and they were always ragging on Moslers for being pig ugly and squashing everyone else at One Lap of America. The Raptor was even worse, as it ditched the Consulier's windshield for a split-window made of two flat planes, looked like it fell off of Captain Nemo's submarine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

revdrkevind posted:

:v:: I SAID, I WAS IN AN ACCID- hold on, I'll call you back.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If he ever tries to tell you it won't fit him...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Heres one way to bring an impulse buy BMW home to your wife.

Who is driving?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Tributes. I don't even know if they got them in America, but in the first year they were out, we were doing

- Rear brake calipers leaking
- Fuel pump seals leaking
- Oil leaks between the two halves of the block
- Brake light switches inoperative
- Front seat belt stalks cracking
- Cruise control cables sticking
- Factory sunroofs leaking

That's not including the shitful fuel economy, the horrible plastic-y trim even at the highest spec level and the surprisingly little cabin space for a mid-sized SUV. When they first came out, they were definitely what I would define as a Bad Car™.

Well, of course it's not going to be the greatest car in the world. It's just a Tribute.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

You should make a thread for those boats. I love looking at them and dreaming. Honestly it's not the sale price that turns me away, it's the fuel mileage.

More like mile fuelage?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Post lots of process diagrams.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

I nominate men on motorcycles trying to kill themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

I've always wondered: how often do they have to repair those quaint little stone cottages when a maniac Irishman (or Finn) rifles a Yamaha (or Subaru) through their yard?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Is posting Xzibit memes still bannable because

e: Holy o'gently caress, they widened the lower shell and made a custom windscreen for it even

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
World's cutest turn signal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spring Time for Kitler

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

More importantly it's directed by the original director so really everyone should just shut the gently caress up and see watch it before judging.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I believe you mean :perfect:

Jesus, really?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tekne posted:

FCA's press release: http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=16592
SRT put a surprising amount of thought into the Tomahawk.

They also produced a ton of art for it. http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_4849755.html

Half bus, half dilophosaurus

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Man, I'm hungry. We should go to Walmart and pick up a bag of chips."
"Two bags! But do you have enough room though?"
"Oh, you're right. Better bring the GT3 for the second bag."

also my white balance was fucky, the GT3 was Mexico Blue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Remember the Italdesign Aztec, with the two separate cockpits and the hilariously dumb spaceship greebling on the side?

The spaceship greebling was functional and contained a small keypad where you could punch in a code to obtain readouts of fluid levels, a hydraulic jack, a compressor, and a fire extinguisher, among other things - depending on what side you were on.

http://www.italdesign.it/en/projects/giugiaro-aztec-eng/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

The late 60, early 70s is easily my favourite era of cars. On one hand you have awesomely mean blocky stuff like the above. On the other...

1968 Holden Hurricane concept.

Strong adherents to the firsta rule of Italian driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Do we have a smiley to describe how well-done this is? I feel like there must be