Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hey AI, I found a beautiful piece of work that one of you needs to come rescue because I am in love with her and currently broke:

Be still my beating heart :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Dead Blue Sky posted:

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is this?

1959 Dodge Custom Royal. Looked to be mostly intact, minus some front trim, and the headlights / taillights.

EDIT: Here's the tail, for those curious.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 29, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This is not getting enough love, those are some ballsy guys. Looks like a blast, if a bit terrifying.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jonathan posted:

Caroline Mines outside of Hope, BC. This is probably the most loving retarded thing I've ever done. We drove into an abondoned mineshaft that spirals up the mountain and comes out near the top. 4 or 5 Jeeps in a train, trying to figure out our way up the maze. When idling the reverb was calling little rocks to fall from the ceiling.

I love this picture, and the story behind it. That is seriously nothing short of awesome :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cell shot, but my friend delivers cars for a living and this is his current delivery: 4wd VW Camper van. Apparently there are only 1500 here, according to the owner. I am in love with it :allears:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 27, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's only one car in history that I think has looked good with a door that lifts up:

That sure is a funny looking DeLorean :colbert:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I love you AI, have some Audis :h:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Strawberry posted:

Browsing crownvic.net isn't helping me find any reason for why I shouldn't buy a CVPI for a daily driver...

drat, perfect!

Have you been browsing 14"'s thread? Do I need to post mine to convince you further? :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Our fire department got a new truck.

Freightliner M916A3. Detroit S60 turbodiesel, Allison 7 speed automatic, 6x6, PTO, hefty winch, fifth wheel, weighs 27,750 and it's going to be getting a 2000 gallon water tank on the back for an additional 16,000lbs. It's goddamn amazing and I'm bugging them to teach me to drive it because holy poo poo it's the coolest thing ever.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, the guy who picked it up and brought it home to our station said it felt like riding in a Cadillac. I'm just shocked at how huge the drat thing is. I'm 6'5" and that fender is at shoulder level on me! It's insane and I love it, cannot wait to try cruising in it. So far the biggest thing i've driven is a 27 foot pumper and it handled pretty nicely, I can only imagine how amazing the Freightliner will be.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I believe we're going with a nice, bright red. I imagine we're gonna end up lettering it up and numbering it as well to match it with the rest of our trucks. The really funny thing is seeing it parked in our bay, it baaaarely fits under the door.

It came about a few inches from scraping the door opener. We were all just sitting there holding our breath and going "Oh poo poo, that's reeeally close."

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

That's gonna look so sweet in fire engine red, with numbers and lights. :allears:

You should make a thread for it when it's done!

Haha, I'll see about getting some pictures of it and posting them up when all is said and done. We've actually got a few cool trucks, including a new F550 rescue with a remote nozzle, foam tank, etc.

kastein posted:

Those things are fuckin' awesome but I think you should get an M123A1C if you're looking for brute strength. http://www.vannattabros.com/truck6.html

What he means by "stay on a road" is more "make sure you're going to be on something at least as smooth as a logging road, preferably with 6" crushed rock laid down" than what most people think of as a "road". One would make an excellent brush fire truck, assuming you never had to go much over 45mph, and they tend to be cheap because no one really has that much use for them. A friend of mine a couple towns over owns one, he has it listed on craigslist for 7800 bucks right now. If my project fund wasn't completely empty I'd be considering it... even though I want an M816 5-ton wrecker more.

Well, I think we only paid like $300 for the M916. Plus, i'm not sure if we'd be able to fit the M123 anywhere. I still want one now though, holy poo poo that is awesome. We've already had a discussion about what to do when we have to cross a low water bridge that's barely wide enough for a normal car, and the answer was "Just drive through the river!" so I imagine the M123 would be even better for that situation :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, it was through some sort of program. We're a fairly small volunteer department, and the way this works is, we were on a waiting list, they offered us this truck, we accepted it and paid a ridiculously low amount for it (assuming via grants), and they're going to have it sent off to get a tank mounted to it and (i'm guessing) whatever else it needs, then we'll get it back, repaint it, etc. etc. etc. I'm not 100% on all of the details, there's probably a -lot- i'm missing / leaving out, but from what I overheard, we got it incredibly cheap thanks to some program. Like, I remember the words "We basically paid for an oil change." being used at one point.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

quote:

The surplus equipment includes grenade launchers, helicopters, military robots, M-16 assault rifles, armored vehicles, riverboats, Battle Dress Uniform clothing, and information technology equipment.

:stare:

Hmm. Need to talk to my chief, i'm sure we could find a use for a few grenade launchers, a robot, and a helicopter...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Vigo327 posted:

I actually moderate the turbo-mopar.com forums that that guy is a member of. Some of the high points of that car are standalone engine management, CNC ported head, forged pistons, custom intake and exhaust manifolds, t3/t4 turbo, 3" exhaust, massive intercooler, custom articulated hood vent ala classic mopar 'Air Grabber', custom tubular lower crossmember and tubular control arms, custom instrument cluster with VDO gauges, custom chassis bracing around the front of the car (high powered Omnis are known to flex and crack the front of the unibody in several places), running super aggressive Toyo R1R tires, 6k/4k spring rates on BC coilovers.. eesh listing it all feels like work.

TLDR: That car is BUILT, top to bottom, front to back. There's barely a stock part left on it and it's one of the best Turbo Mopars out there, definitely in the top 5 Dodge Omnis ever put together.

One of the other top 5 is doing Hot Rod Drag Week right now and is detuned from mid 140s mph trap speeds to just cruising around running easy 11s, along with another guy in an 11-second dodge shadow (guy also owns a 10-second Shadow and a 10-second Aries and won the GRM $2012 Challenge iirc) and another guy who's racing his daily driver dodge spirit running low 14s (after his turbo 3.5L shadow developed a last-minute problem). They all have hitches on them towing their slicks and stuff around on little trailers to all the different tracks.

In short, i would encourage you to visit Turbo-Mopar.com and have a look around. :iia:

And speaking of fast turbo Mopars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuo5pUqnZ8

Oh Relentless :allears:

For non-video content, I got to drive this last night:

F550 with a Powerstroke turbodiesel, foam tank, pump, 150ft of 2.5" hose, remote operated nozzle that you can control from the cab, packing a gennie + Jaws of Life, fans, scuba gear, shovels, pike poles, chainsaws + fuel... Everything you need to work fire, road, or water rescue. Oh, and a full leather interior and cold a/c.

In short, I love my job :h:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 12, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Jesus. She is indeed a beauty.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

225? :stare:

Porsche? That turbo script looks awfully familiar...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

997TT with an EvoMS 775hp kit.

drat! Bet that thing is an absolute riot, probably pulls like a freight train.

VVV I know him actually. He's a cool guy. Didn't know his site was still up and running though, it's been ages since I've talked to him.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 23, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Just saw these parked downtown:

I never actually knew there was a truck variant of the old school Mini until today. There was also another one across the street, parked behind the local Mini that the British owner of the British restaurant owns. 4 Minis in rural Arkansas is a sight to see, to the point where I wasn't the only one stopping to look :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That Nova is like :911: in car form. Awesome.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Jesus Christ, you're never going to shake that curse are you? :stare:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Less bugs, more awesome offroad toys :colbert:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

That is approaching "just enough torque." Because there is never too much torque, only under-engineered components.

This. Got any more info on it, VikingSkull?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Maybe YOUR C130 takes 1400 feet to take off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJsMtOvUvk

Of course your C130 probably hasn't been smashed and/or caught fire.

That is awesome and America as gently caress. Oh, this doesn't work for what we need it to do? Throw rockets on that sumbitch until it can stop and go in the space needed!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I would eagerly await the glorious fireball-related death i'd surely suffer driving that thing. Looks like a total riot.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

You have a euro-spec Porsche 930

we have miatas, volvo 240s, and land rovers

Seriously, this. I've always had a massive love affair for 930s, anything you post about it will only reinforce this. I love my CVPI but damnit man, 930 is dream car territory :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oh my, what a beauty. I seriously think the 930 is the very best in terms of looks. And I mean that as a diehard Porsche fanboy, that styling is my absolute favorite :h:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That looks like it would be terrifying yet fun to drive. If only I could fit my 6'5" frame in there :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Team Zorro trophy truck for the Baja. ;)

Holy christ, thank you. I just spent 10 or 15 minutes straight digging through Google trying to find out something about it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

MetaJew posted:

It looks like an AZ-1 to me. The sexiest kei car in the world.

Specifically, the Greddy VI-AZ1. Built by RE Amemiya, and it had a longitudinally mounted 20B. Quite a neat little car, I imagine it'd be a riot to drive :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I just cannot stand that front end. "F1 inspired" it may be, that doesn't excuse the fact that it's just utterly loving hideous. Then again, i'm also one of the ones who hates the Enzo in terms of style.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That is incredibly awesome. I would DD the poo poo out of it :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That entire rear axle is a thing of beauty :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I have no idea where I originally got this, just that it came from AI. I have the most random poo poo on my harddrive and no idea where most of it even originated :v:

Hell, come to think of it, AI is where my custom title came from.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

That's certainly a way to enter a corner.

Hey, speaking of that particular Toyota...

Loving those crazy narrow tires :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yes yes yes yesssss.

I like the Rocket Bunny kits for 240s, sue me v:shobon:v

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That is loving awesome and Japan as hell. I love it :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Time Travel by T1g4h, on Flickr

Spotted this on Main Street, thought for a second I'd gone back in time.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 13, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jonathan posted:

5th Gear is pretty good. I enjoy anything with Tiff.

For North America, I really wish RoadKill could get more exposure. It's got the entertaining parts of BBC Top Gear but they actually have an eye for mechanical things.

Freiburger mentioned something about them getting TV syndication this year, iirc.

http://blogs.hotrod.com/2014-plans-for-hot-rods-roadkill-show-on-youtube-105951.html#axzz2s6XBKTBQ

"The reason for those specific time limits is that Roadkill will now be cut to industry specs in anticipation of eventual airing on linear TV. But in the meantime, all Roadkill shows can be seen at YouTube.com/MotorTrend."

So yeah, it's getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Because Roadkill was mentioned earlier and because this is from one of my favorite episodes:

And then there's this one...

Roadkill is seriously AI as gently caress sometimes :allears:

vvv Point taken.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 6, 2014