Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They are commonly called "on spots" in my neck of the woods. And when you get tired of hearing the chains dangle around you put a single zip tie around the bundle and it solves the problem. The added bonus is that when you turn them on again the zip tie breaks so you don't have to worry about crawling under there to undo it in the snow.

Edit: OK, so they are called onposts everywhere....here's a pretty interesting site on their history: http://www.onspot.com/indhisfr.htm

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Who builds something like that, takes a few steps back and says "you know with this needs? Some really huge decals down the sides and a gigantic sticker on the windshield.....because it just doesn't stand out enough on its own".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sudo Echo posted:

What's really confusing is why the lettering on the side is mirrored, and it's not mirrored on the windshield. I thought the image itself was mirrored, but the license plate is right so no dice. What the heck?

But on the up side....duck tail. Unf.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The steering wheel buttons are pretty standard. Bottom right is an ALS switch (yellow) and a water button (green) and the blue one above it is radio transmit. Looks like a pit/run switch above that (limit the speed to the pit lane max speed). Dunno about the rest.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

The gently caress is going on here? Why is that on the Dragon going the wrong way?

I have no idea, but that picture screams to me: closed course. Not knowing exactly where he is, that could be a reasonable line to take through those corners.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

88h88 posted:

Original English Akira dub:

"...ceramic double-rotor two wheel drive, man, it even has computer controlled anti-lock brakes, 12,000 RPMs..."

http://youtu.be/SP6vWDUfgpo

Anime? Seriously?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

A friend of mine got brought to court for assault after using one of those. He lost and now has it on his criminal record.

Use them wisely and out of the range of security cameras.

What jurisdiction and what exactly was he charged with (if it was actually called "assault" the jurisdiction is important as they may have something strange going on)?

It's pretty harde to prove assault without two people being able to actually see each other or at least have communication past a note left by one party without the other's (victim's) knowledge. Most jurisdictions have some manner of "terroristic threats" or even "menacing" that would be charged for that kind of thing if it went too far.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 19, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That would make more sense, but the "on his record" part makes me think criminal.

Of course, civil judgements are also "on your record," so I suppose I shouldn't immediately think criminal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Linedance posted:

Basically any of track cycling's events would be cool with cars too.

Australian pursuit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brigdh posted:

My guess is Mr. Ramen Deep Kaur didn't fill out his immigration paper work correctly, and now his first name is legally FNU, aka First Name Unknown.

This is undoubtedly correct. This happens a lot more than most people realize, especially to Asian immigrants.

In fact, he may have filled it out correctly and it was processed incorrectly. It ends up with their full name being their surname, and FNU as their first name on their visa or passport.

If this is in fact the case here this guy now knows what's up and decided to own it. Which is pretty drat cool.

Who cares what your legal name is? It matters for this, your taxes, licensure and banking. Not worth the trouble to correct.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Nah. Oklahoma City is the place, and The City Of Oklahoma City is the legal entity that governs the place.

And Lady Redundant Woman is their mascot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Definitely. I'm wondering how the airbags didn't go off in that situation.

A non-airbag (read: no crush cans) aftermarket or home welding disaster bumper.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XtaC posted:

Giving the 951 a bath a few years ago.....

And the carpets are still full of mold to this day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That 951 looks like dirty, dirty sex with those wheels on it.

Unf.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XtaC posted:

Yeah, they're heavy fuckers though.

Don't care. Needs 968 mirrors and all white markers RIGHT NOW. Then it's perfect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XtaC posted:

Haha, funny you should mention those two things

You're doing it right.

Edit: wait...were you in an accident? The steering wheel got knocked over on the wrong side.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 10, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XtaC posted:

Have some Aussie muscle

Why can't I have nice V8 muscle cars?

Oh, that's right....CAFE standards and tree huggers.

I understand that most animals in your environment can kill you, but it seems like a fair tradeoff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

omgitstheinternet posted:

904. Again, I'm assuming it's a replica

It's almost definitely a Chuck Beck. I'm pretty sure he's made more than the factory did at this point.

Even a replica is an expensive car to leave out to rot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A friend's LLY Duramax that I've been doing some tuning on stopped by Danville performance to use the dyno. They also built the turbo that's on it:

610 HP/1183 Tq. And it's still calling for more fuel than I can feed it up at the top. Already put a lift pump in it that sounds like a commercial water pump. Not enough. A fuel pump upgrade is going to be happening real soon now.

I love these Duramaxes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

That seems like an awfully narrow RPM range.

You do know it's a diesel, right? :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Here is a 5 part video doc on some great fabrication that went into the Stewart Raceworks Ford Raptor luxury pre-runner.

I just watched that whole thing and it was awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

but less than $200,000.

Really? With 4 guys on it for 3 months with no overtime at $35/hr we're talking $67,000 in labor alone. I think we all know that time, head count and hourly rate are all unreasonably low.

This does not count design time. This does not count materials. This does not count the motor. This does not count the cab. Or the shocks, or the calipers, or the rotors or the seemingly only 2 or 3 other parts that weren't custom made.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Their website has the Chevy pre-runner in one of those videos I posted. $650,000 used.

We've now swung beyond the high end price I was expecting. Holy crap.

I was thinking $400-500k new.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Linedance posted:

I know some photographers feel that a composition should stand on it's own as it was shot, but I find a bit of judicious cropping can really help make the subject pop.

Any photographer saying that probably knows how to "crop" while they're taking the photo. And arguably that's the way one does it without "cheating."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

But overall it was a fun trip, I got to drive around on the beach. Got some weird looks from the drunk guys with bro trucks.

Where the hell is MP 83 in the outer banks?????? I'm guessing you were somewhere else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Southern end of the outer banks.

OK, but WHERE? I used to live near there and drive it all the time for work and fishing. The Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry (on the Hatteras side) is in the low 70s. I don't recall what the Ocracoke side is, but for the time I was there there was no 4x4 beach access on Ocracoke. Or I missed something awesome (and you got out there on the car ferry, which I used to absolutely love doing).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh yeah....that kicks rear end. I don't know if the beach access is new or I just missed it. I was a Bodie Island (just south of Kill Devil Hills by the horizontally black and white striped lighthouse) rat for years.

I used to love those ferries, but on more than one occasion was on Ocracoke for work and didn't make the last one out.

Dammit.....this is all about and around the only things I miss about living in North Carolina. I taught so many people how to drive on sand (or off road at all) on those beaches.

I used to love pulling morons in Jeeps out in my '97 F150 which seemed unstoppable to the idiots.....I ordered it with a posi front and rear and knew how to air my tires down....none of this is rocket science.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Just a guess, but those look like headlights off of a 911.

And that's the only part that looks that way.

I'm not an RX-7 guy, but the windshield rake and deck lid look very Mazda to me.

That whole car is very UNF!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A base model 2013 D90 with a hard top lists under 20,000 pounds sterling in the UK. A double cab 130 is under 25k.

These are work vehicles, not Merc G wagons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

Not even available in the US.

Being from the US, I'm quite well aware of that. But that's not the question I was responding to.

Kill-9 posted:

It's my belief that Land Rover in the US wants to be seen as only an upscale brand. If they brought over 'work trucks' they think it'd lessen their branding.

Yes, this has been the Land Rover strategy since the beginning of their entrance to the US market, and is quite a well known fact. It also has a lot to do with import duties, which is why you don't seen many foreign work trucks in the US ("chicken tax").

The question was basically "where in the world is a Defender less than $75k." My answer is: lots of places, most certainly in the UK.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

^^^ the Chicken tax is only on trucks with beds, if it has back seats it doesn't count.

Ford goes through great lengths to bring in Transits as passenger vans (throw away the rear seat belts and seats and weld up the holes where the windows used to be) in order to circumvent the import tax (they build them in Turkey). These do not have beds.

The chicken tax is just as applicable to many Defender specs as it is to Transits.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

That's a "bed" to me, but I guess it doesn't matter. I'm aware that you can buy a pickup version of a Defender, but the chicken tax doesn't affect the majority of then that aren't pickups.

OK, so first of all everyone else understands you in the future: a bed is understood to be typically uncovered, like a pickup - and most importantly separate from the passenger compartment. A 2 seat defender with a box on it does not have a bed, but it would be considered a non-passenger van, therefore the chicken tax applies.

Secondly, my point in this is that even if Land Rover wanted to it would be overly complicated and/or expensive to bring in work models of Defenders and Discos, which is why they never did and one more "market force" that caused the only logical market entrance to the US to be "upscale" luxotrucks. This is a company that until recently couldn't justify designing or purchasing a modern motor and resorted to using the same fundamentally unchanged-since-the-60s-plans-bought-from-Buick v8 (until 2004) and still uses warmed over electronics out of Mercs or from Bosch and whatever else is cheap and seems to fit in the basic spot they planned out. They certainly would not have had the investment capital of Ford to gamble that a complicated 3rd party on-shore conversion would ever ship enough units to pay for itself, and the market for cheap to midline passenger SUVs was already well saturated.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 30, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

Have we forgotten the Freelander already? :iamafag:

That was going after the compact SUV market (trying to compete with Honda) and was obviously a HUGE mistake. You're absolutely correct, but I was talking about Defender/Disco/Rangie/Explorer/Tahoe sized SUVs (you know, 1/4 ton to full sized stuff) and probably should have specified that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I disagree with the Discovery being better than a Wrangler. At least not a modern JK.

And certainly not a Rubicon. A Disco 1 may be on par with a non-Ruby as far as off road capabilities. The D2 even adds some party tricks (hill decent control and departure angle assistance) but most of them didn't have a locking center diff so.....well, 1 wheel drive in the mud unless the computer decides it wants to burn up your brakes to correct the situation.

My buddy wheels in a Ruby. It's awesome and I can't keep up in my Disco 1, mostly because of the lockers.

Now that he's lifted it and has ridiculous suspension flex it's even harder to stick with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

The electronic sway bar disconnect is the coolest thing though.

Is that stock on the newer ones? His is a few years old and he's got pins on his. I don't know if that was a modification during the lift though (doubt it....he's not a moron).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

Yeah, on the new stock rubi's the E-Sway bar disco's are stock.

They're really doing it right on those things. I still can't get over the seating position (seat not centered with the steering wheel) but other than that......

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

echoplex posted:

Good god, the engine noise.

Unf. It sounded incredible from the outside, then they started with the inside shots where you can hear some gear whine too and that's even better.

That man knows what's up. Cars are meant to be driven.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volvomino? El Volvino?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

20-25 years ago I hated those rear wheel arches and, like many others, perpetrated violence on mine with an air tool and fiberglass. drat I was young and stupid. That thing is just perfect the way it is.

I don't feel too bad about what I did because the body was several Sockingtons of rust held together with bondo and paint, so there's basically no way it would still be around today.

I also did some bad things to the firewall and floor pan jamming a new process 435 in it after the 3 speed ended up permanently in 3rd gear. I did miss having the column shift after that.

But wow....what a great looking restoration. Please tell me he drives it. I would understand why if he doesn't....but that thing needs to be driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

It still blows my mind that these sports cars were aircooled for so long.

By the end they were probably more correctly considered oil cooled than air cooled, especially the turbo models. Still pretty awesome and insane that it was pushed that far.