Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let's kick this poo poo off right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Piano posted:

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I would vastly prefer a every-post-must-be-a-picutre rule for both threads. It works fine for the other subforums generally. Couldn't hurt to try out?

He doesn't have a picture, get him!

content:

That's a stupid rule that results in people posting the same pictures over and over so they can continue a derail. I think we should just expect ourselves to do a better job of self-policing 3 page derails on the metallurgy of late 70s Nissan transmission sychros.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Not sure if this is awesome or terrible.

But 2 guys managed to get 2 Dodge Calibers over 200KPH (125+MPH)

And got busted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/08/22/calgary-high-river-speeding.html

Safe to assume SRT4s?

Being canadian, they naturally had to pull over to say sorry, as there is no way the rcmp crown vic could ever have caught one let alone both, and being alberta there is a range road or township road to dissapear down every 1-2 kilometers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

Can somebody explain this to me

The car closest to the camera is stripped out and hass a roll bar. It's obviously from a movie set.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw this mustang driving around, i can't identify the model, but i could tell it's a mustang from the tail lights.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

was it an invader GT?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Speaking of that maserati up there, the one based off the (Enzo?) Does anyone have the picture someone posted last year of the timing gear setup off that engine?

bunch more pics here.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.281140241930808.74445.234128699965296&type=3

edit:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:black101:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russia :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Man I really hope this gooses hydrogen development as a fuel. The most abundant element in the universe and the only waste product is water vapor? Yes please.

The waste product related to the production of it as a fuel could also be considered it's waste product. Algae can't produce enough to drive the world. There is also the fact that you can't store much on board and the part of it exploding violently from time to time that should be considered

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Well thank god gasoline can't explode violently

You are right. Gasoline is as volatile as hydrogen. What was I thinking.

Hydrogen is a dumb choice for dumb people. You still need new production facilities, a new supply chain. Large amounts of storage for it within residential neighborhoods. Idiots will still smoke while refueling and Blow themselves up, and you will have to refuel twice as often.

Battery tech is progressing and electric and extended range hybrids are the right answer. Then you don't need an electricity truck delivering explosive electricity into large tanks under the local electricity station in the middle of the suburbs. Transmission lines would need to be upgraded for it to become a large scale reality but that isn't an unreasonable investment and will never go to waste.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's 90 years old and still working, it can't be that terrible. :clint:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, all diesels in the oilfield here are required to have air cut-offs. a switch on the dash that flips a door in the intake that blocks off the air. it's not oil in the air, it's just other flamable gasses.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seeking perfection.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Wow, I didn't think the STI would have a time that low... though I'm sure that quite a few of those cars would benefit from having Tommi Makinen behind the wheel.

It was a ringer with a bunch of parts from different japanese special editions. It had a bigger turbo, 6 pot front brakes, and they don't mention tires but considering it had one-off aero bits, it more than likely had full race rubber.

edit: track times aside, there are far more interesting cars entering the "dangerously affordable" range, like $45,000 bi-turbo V12 german cars

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 18, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Das Volk posted:

That's very much Laguna Seca .jpg

There's an onsite muffler service to help people comply. Because moving right next to a racetrack that's been there for 50 years then complaining about noise totally makes sense.

It actually does. You move next to something noisy where home values are lower because of the noise, complain until it gets shut down or silenced, then sell the house for a small profit and move next to something else that's noisy. rinse and repeat until you have made a trivial amount of money ruining everything for everybody who isn't you. Also known as the american way :911:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

This is not getting enough love, those are some ballsy guys. Looks like a blast, if a bit terrifying.

It's even more ballsy if you consider the car stalled after the last turn, and that smoke behind it is electrical smoke.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If an STI can do it, it's not that hardcore of offroading.

Even more impressive, he did it mid winter on summer tires

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Those aren't going into an actual running engine, are they:ohdear:

Of course, so is this one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have no idea what's going on here, but i love it. :nws: ads. http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic554310.html

Also awesome, miniyotas. :nws: ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic551257.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have found the russian holdbrooks :stare:

:nws: ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/st/0/topic555998.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TrueChaos posted:

Racing Priuses are pretty cool.

Why don't they sell a road car that looks like this, that is a prius i would drive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Water injection. That engine's knock control system will just keep on adding fuel/timing until it measures an ideal ionization rate. I can't remember where I read it but straight water injection with a little tuning will yield a huge amount of power. TMU might have it somewhere on their site but it's a mess.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPrYBbUB3w

Here's a photo of a 500SEC

Is this still otto cycle with strait water in place of water/methanol injection, or are we talking 6 stroke crower cycle?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

All that work and probably the worst belt routing job imaginable. Cog belts still need some pulley wrap! Hell, that right bank will have the belt orbit right off the supercharger pulley.

And i bet he can't even see out the windshield, what an rear end in a top hat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went to a thing and took some pictures of things. Beverages were involved so i didn't take very many pictures of the things.

All i really learned is that the porsche 911 is stupidly comfortable for a 6'9" tall man. Waaaaaaaay too many people think they're professional photographers, and every single one of them is completely oblivious of their surroundings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The megarule is loving terrible. First you combine 3 threads into 1, then ban discussion from said thread.

You are doing terribly, iowncalculus.

oh, hey, here's a picture so you have to come up with something more creative to probate or ban me with.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blugu64 posted:

OH MY GOD

I found the south's strategic reserve of TransAms.

http://www.transamflorida.com/

What is it about those cars that encourage guys to start up companies catering specifically to them. There has been a place in edmonton for decades now that only deals with camaros and firebirds.

http://www.davidt.com/

nothing but camaros and firebirds.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If i owned a maybach, it would look like this all the time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

If i owned a maybach, it would look like this all the time.

Quote is not edit :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is captioned:

quote:

This guy's mustang was hit by the tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. He found it, started it up, and has been cruising around town since

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a VW VR6 stuffed in there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sinestro posted:

:stonk:

Killing some redneck that puts a car body on a truck frame gets you what ever the AI equivalent of 72 virgins is.

Get over yourselft, a lift and mudders improves EVERY car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is the best.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

:corsair: Where are the other 4 cylinders? :bahgawd:

You guys are way too critical. What i see is a true motorhead appreciating a clean engine bay regardless of make, model, or stance.

This fat-rear end showed up at an auction i went to. Nothing usually sells for more than ~$20k, but this somehow brought in $66,500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just saw the maserati mc12 corsa on highway 2 headed to Edmonton being followed by a boring ol 458 italia. It left red deer about 10 minutes ago so anybody North of hew should be able to catch a glimpse of the rare beast in the wild. It's orange and white, you can't miss it.

edit; for those of you not special enough to live in alberta:

Also seen in this video racing the HMCS enzo around the nurburgring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFVerY8l2Pg

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 27, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is so awesome.