Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Some random pics I've found, being sick and at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Porsche Exclusive is 27 years old now. Here are some pics:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Have a field, have a plough... no tractor? No problem!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
So I went to the Shanghai International Auto Exhibition on Sunday. Some observations:

1. I still keep getting amazed how many people there actually are in China. The pavilion housing Porsche/Ferrari/Bugatti/etc was by far the worst I've experienced yet
2. Chinese people will shout at you if you push them away when they are crushing you
3. Chinese men will absolutely go crazy for any car where a model is present, even if it's a Chinese knock-off of a 10 year old Citroen, and will photograph the poo poo out of the model/car
4. Chinese cars are making good progress, well at least some are.
5. The LaFerrari has less visual impact than I thought
6. No Pagani made me disappointed
7. I miss NYIAS

I know my pictures are bad, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Surfing the internet I came across this undoubtedly AI used car dealership in the Italian mountains:

Much more stuff here: http://www.autoieri.eu/index.asp

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Rubiks Pubes posted:

To answer my own question, we met the owner of the Holden 727 today, and asked him if it was legal to drive it here. He said "I never said it was legal!" And laughed a crocodile Dundee laugh.

The ute went through whatever you have to do to import a foreign vehicle.

Actually, I looked into what the rules where for driving a non-federalized vehicle in the US some time ago when out of boredom I was researching a day dream I had regarding this. What I found was that you can legally drive a foreign registered non-fed vehicle for up to one year if you had insurance. So I guess present shipping documents or something if you get stopped?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
So I went to Taiwan for a couple of days, awesome place btw, highly underrated. Anyway, I saw a few cool cars (and a lot of ricers) there.

Old Mercedes limo

Lambo Gallardo, which seems common enough around the greater China region

But look closer! Behind the Gallardo, there is a new Beetle RSI! From what I read, the RSI wasn't the best hot hatch, but I still enjoy seeing an unusual car, especially in a random residential district in Taipei of all places.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I was in Poland and for my 25th birthday my family gave me a track experience with a Lambo Gallardo. However the Gallardo unexpectedly suffered engine trouble :italy: and was stuck in Vienna for reparations. So instead the driving experience company offered me Nissan GTR and 911 C4S drives as replacements, not as exotic as a Gallardo, but who cares it was amazing! They also have a KTM X-bow, and next year they are getting a 458 Italia. I'm already planning to go back next year

The driving instructor was such a nice guy, a true petrolhead.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Just two old cars, one yellow, one red.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I have a serious case of the dumb. I assume this is some flavor of Ferrari, but which one?

MetaJew posted:

I believe it's an Alpine Renault a610.
Edit: that's what it looked like on my phone, but the headlights tell me it's more likely a Ferrari Daytona.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I thought it might be a Daytona, too. (After I thought it was one of the weirdo Lamborghinis from the 70s). The headlights and side markers are throwing me.

Battlegoat posted:

It's a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Competizione. Here's another one in red.

Yeah it's an in period Completion conversion by a Swedish mechanic, Ferrarichat has a thread with some info and lots of pictures on it http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-redline-restorations/262176-competition-daytona-swedish-colours.html Right now it's painted in the Swedish Air Force colors and is used in vintage racing:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Walking around Shanghai, I came across a Porsche Carrera Cup safety car outside a fancy hotel.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Clearly his mistake was not driving away from the fire.

Miura's catch on fire due to a design issue with carbs. I had a Ferrari mechanic tell me that the best way stop a Miura fire in the early stages is to accelerate as hard as you can, as that will draw away the fuel from the heat source and chocke the fire. So according to the Ferrari tech who, yeah, the guy should have drove away from the fire. I have however never been able to confirm that story, so the mechanic might be full of poo poo for all I know. Although I want to believe.

Anyway, content:

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 6, 2013

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

leica posted:

Has anyone ever retro fitted them with ITBs? I know the purists would scoff, but if you drove it a lot it might be a good idea.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I found a huge gallery of various Motorsport pictures from Germany (mostly Nurburgring and Hockenheim) and a few from Zolder in Belgium. http://www.fotocommunity.com/photographer/hartmut-schulz/photos/motorsport-alt/322401?time=1171180584&lastId=7932698 Some examples:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Ok, I have a problem, I should be studying for my exam, but instead I'm looking at old racing pictures

Citroen 2CV at the start of the 1954 Mille Miglia

Lotus Eleven as driven by Colin Chapman at the 1956 Sebring 12 hours, accident during practice

A Porsche 550RS ran out of fuel at the Mulsane straight Le Mans 1957

Elva Mk.9 at the 1959 Sebring 12 hours, went on to finish 23rd overall

Maserati Tipo 60 Birdcage driven by Stirling Moss and Masten Gregory at the 1960 Sebring

Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Zagato at Le Mans 1960

Porsche 718 RSK of Stirling Moss and Phil Hill Targa Florio 1961

Shelby Cobra ahead of a Ferrari 250 GTO, Daytona 3 hours 1963

Ford GT40 driven by Phil Hill and Bruce McLaren at Nurburgring 1000km 1964

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Turbo torque + rain

Linked for large GIFS:

Raikkonen spin: http://gfycat.com/RegalCostlyBagworm

Maldonado in the gravel: http://gfycat.com/ClutteredHeavenlyFinch

Not in the rain

Hamilton's pole lap commented by Mark Weber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHK1RBQFCQU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Went to Canepa after Cars and Croissants today, took some pictures.

Click for big.

Click for big!

This Porsche is really quite insane. It uses a 540hp Porsche 962! engine, 935 wheelhubs and a mix of 934 and 959 parts for the brakes.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

75k at Hemmings http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/detomaso/pantera/1612086.html

God I love Panteras.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Really cool press-release from Porsche titled "PORSCHE: 10 MAGIC LE MANS MOMENTS" where 10 Le Mans legends tall about their experience, but drivers and engineers.

quote:

Hans-Joachim Stuck
(Born 01.01.1951 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, DE, overall winner with Porsche 1986 and 1987):
"My Le Mans moment lasted three minutes and 14.8 seconds. Pole position with the Porsche 962 C, a perfect lap. And because the Mulsanne straight was later defanged through the addition of chicanes, it will likely be a record for posterity. The 962 is the best race car that I ever drove. Brute force and unbelievable ground effects. The centrifugal forces were enormous, and there was no power steering. You needed the strength of a bear and a lot of courage. I just had one run because of the tyres. Start, Dunlop curve, left, right through the Esses. At Tertre Rouge I was pushing the traction limits. But the corner is so important for your speed on the Mulsanne straight, and it was right on. Fifty seconds of flooring it, then brake from 360 km/h for the Mulsanne corner and jump back on the gas as soon as possible. Indianapolis, Arnage, Porsche curves, Maison Blanche, Ford chicane, and you're done. In those three minutes my concentration was sharp as a knife. It was just me and that Porsche at Le Mans."

Full Article: http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30007

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
It's the 60's and you're a French singer in Saint Tropez, what is the best use for your beach towel?

That's the singer servicing his own Ferrari 250 GTE, with his wife's 250 GT Lusso in the background

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Carteret posted:

Traffic laws are suggestions, more than laws.

Can tow trucks run lights and drive in oncoming lanes? Yes. Are they supposed to? No. If you honk your horn, and flash your lights, you can pretty much do whatever you want unless you get caught.

Never, NEVER tell a Korean taxi driver to hurry up if you value your life. Scariest car ride I've ever experienced.

That's adorable. When I was in Seoul the traffic was so much more civilized than in Shanghai where I live.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Das Volk posted:

I'd have the Porsche. Yank the V8, sell the hybrid system to Tesla and the dual clutch to someone who needs spares for their Panamera. Put the whole thing back with a 7 speed manual and some extra tank space. Enjoy everyone hating me for making the car slower.

That's how the car should have been from the start. I wonder if you'd throw enough money at Porsche if they'd be willing to make you a custom manual 918? The hybrid system is probably too ingrained to do just yank out. A man can dream though... a man can dream...

Anyway content:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I'm not saying modern cars are ugly, per se, I'm saying that subtlety and restraint have become a lost art. What happened to the days when a well-heeled gentleman could purchase a vehicle only slightly different looking to a run-of-the-mill execumobile, but with a fire-breathing engine and uprated suspension and poo poo? Now everything has to have "Look at me! Look at me!" stamped on it in 70pt bold comic sans and it's just poo poo. Leave the screaming, outrageous styling to the true sportscars.

Part of the problem is that rich people in China don't do "subtle". I've seen more chrome wrapped cars here then I care to remember including a chrome-pink G55 AMG.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Holy poo poo, I didn't know the Lotus Esprit went rallying:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
A mailman in Norway bought a Lambo Gallardo, nope, not a lottery winner or anything like that. He saved up some money and took a mortgage on his house to afford it. Next to the Lambo is his work... cart/truck thingy.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Cars next to RR Phantoms will never not be funny to me

Courtesy of my friend at https://www.supercarfrance.com

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

Last Sunday I got to drive my '61 Thunderbird around CotA. On USGP day, with 100,000 people in the stands, on international TV, with Felipe Massa riding on back. I think I mentioned I was going to do this in a thread somewhere. If there's interest I'll do a longer write up in its own small thread with more pics.

I'm double jealous, not only because of your sweet ride, and meeting Felipe Massa, but also because Austin had an awesome drivers parade. When I went to the Chinese GP back in April they just loaded all the drivers on top of a lame double decker bus with no roof.

Edit; I'm actually happy that Chinese don't care about classic cars, prices are already jacked up enough as is!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

sofullofhate posted:

Bringing a gun to a fistfight: a retired F1 car at a track day.

So, in other news, feeler on my '06 M Coupe. I think I'm buying a retired F1 car...

Wow, I forgot how good the old V10's sounded.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Speaking of Lancia and Group B, check out the documentary on Henri Toivonen's fatal crash in '86 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roy8n3MCORU Lancia does not come out looking good.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

sofullofhate posted:

How's that casual racism working out for you?

Let's just say that the image of wealthy Chinese kids isn't exactly undeserved:

quote:

Incidents often occur that underline the idea that wealthy Chinese adhere to poorer values. These incidents often trigger heated debates within society. An example of such an incident happened in Vancouver. On August, 31, 2011, at the peak of the city’s rush hour, 13 wealthy Chinese youth drove around crazily in fancy and expensive sports cars. They cleared a path for racing by obstructing a highway. Then, they raced their cars at 200 kilometers per hour. The freeway had a speed limit of 90 kilometers per hour. The police were shocked and said that this was the first reported incident in the city’s history of illegal group automobile racing. The wealthy Chinese youth were subsequently arrested and fined.

However, the youth involved in the case continued to publish their own insights on the case on various Chinese websites. They said that they had no regrets and proceeded to mock the Canadian police for being underfunded. One couple, a young male and female, took a smiling photo of themselves while in the car “to keep as a souvenir” and said that they “felt very happy” about the whole situation. Another youth involved went on Vancouver TV in order to “become famous.” Netizens soon lined up to praise him. When the police towed their vehicles, the Chinese youth took pictures from the sidelines. One said that this was “proof of my wild youth. Later, I can show these pictures to my children and tell them, when dad was young he was crazy too.”

http://www.echinacities.com/china-media/Four-Reasons-Why-Wealthy-Chinese-Immigrants-are-No-Longer-Welcomed translated from http://www.wenxuecity.com/news/2014/07/05/3409974.html

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm sorry for causing a dumb derail, please accept this peace offering.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
:3:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm not a big moped/scooter fan, but this is amazing. In 1980 4 French guys decided to tackle the Paris-Dakar on Vespas, in the end 2 finished giving them a 50% finish rate, which compared to the 37% finishing rate of the grid is not bad at all

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Ford GT-70 owned more

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Ghost Farts posted:

What the gently caress is that thing behind the Eureka?

Now, that really looks like the Inspector Gadget car, but seeing the company it's in I'd guess VW based kit car?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Monza 1000 km

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I went to film studio in Shanghai. And I got to poke around their car shop a little as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

CharlesM posted:

What's this car , please?

That's a Shanghai SH7221 sedan made between 1974 and 1994 I don't know which year this was though, as they were more or less unchanged during these 20 years. I've never heard of these before, and I've never ever seen one in the wild. They had 3 in the collection. The interior pic with the curtain is also from a SH7221