Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Saddamnit posted:

Also, I hope car artwork counts in this thread:

It counts double if it's art of a car that itself counts as art.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Handiklap posted:

Caught this late model Avanti (90s, probably Firebird based?) crusing around town. If I ever see it parked I'll make sure to chat the guy up, I think I may have made his day when I gave him the "Is it OK if I take a picture of your car?" gesture.

I got a picture of the same one one like that at a car show north of Philadelphia a few weeks ago. It's a Camaro and it belongs in this thread about as much as a PT Cruiser. (No windshield words on yours)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've been seeing this for at least a few months now in a driveway a couple blocks from where I'm living now, but now that I've spotted it parked streetside I've been able to get some decent pictures:

...And in the driveway:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

grover posted:

It's pretty obviously rigged. They've got a 3rd wheel where we can't see it. They also would have had to have modified the differential and/or brakes, too.

At about 40 seconds in, the camera pulls behind the truck going sideways and gently caress if I don't see but two wheels on the ground. It wouldn't be too hard for the driver to be able to feel whether the truck's starting to tip one way or the other and adjust the wheel accordingly, just like if you're riding a bike too slowly for the spinning wheels to be enough to keep you upright.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress. I live in Arlington, that's right here. I gotta come up with some poo poo to sell on Craigslist. :stare:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Same here. Also the center console lid is broken on ALL 20 series. All of them.

Not the one I drive! :haw: Not a single broken thing inside. The interior's got some stains but that's just because my aunt/uncle basically use it as a pickup truck. Doesn't smell either, my aunt wouldn't be having any of that.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Krakkles posted:

So I swapped my mustang lights recently, and when I pulled out the housings, I decided to replace the bulbs too.

Here's why:

The bulb was the original bulb, now twelve and half years old.

I was tempted to post it in Horrible Mechanical Failures, because it's the opposite of one.

Typical behavior for a bottom-shelf cheap halogen bulb. They're not the brightest, but they last pretty much forever. Had one on my car a few weeks ago decide that after I slammed on my brakes for an idiot pulling out in front of me it was time to crap out; I've cautiously concluded that was a coincidence. Probably the stock bulb from when the car was new in 1999 too.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cars from the 70's are so goddamn boring, they don't have the slightest bit of styl:stare: Ok so clearly this car isn't from the 70's, way too classy.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, so we're abusing front-wheel-drive shitboxes now? :smug:

So I was looking for a fun drive. I thought I was here, and this road is paved. But I was in fact here. VDOT tells me I'm supposed to turn around, I of course don't care. I also don't care that I'm running on the cheapest all-season tires I could get new.

HHHHHHHGH. The cheap tires show their true worth.

Truth is, they work just fine when you get a running start.

Crispy noises coming from underneath. Who ever needed a lift anyway?

OH YOU THINK YOU SMART HUH? You think that's gonna stop me?

:cawg:

Listen here motherfucker I'ma show you someth:gonk:

gently caress, it's too small. that's what she said

The city's five miles away, how the hell does it look like I'm in the middle of nowhere?

There's even tracks under the drat thing, how the gently caress?

So what other resources do I have available? I've got a huge Swiss Army knife... but that's even smaller. Hmm.

Oh I know!

my dick is so cold right now

So how long is it gonna take til I get a chance to turn around?

Ok seriously this is getting annoying, can I go forward now?

Bout time.

Oh, what have we here?

ungh!

HNNNNGH! Welp.

Might be easier to try here...

...but I'm actually not trying to get hellastuck.

i don't know what the gently caress

Back where I started.

On pavement!

Wook! Wedneck twacks!

I was just up there...

And the car still runs.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, you want me to stack cinder blocks? gently caress no, I ain't having this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

edit: wrong thread.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Feast your eyes upon the 1966 Volvo P1800. Single owner, original transmission and rear end, engine rebuilt twice.

Three million miles.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Spotted at the beach today.

edit: Also saw a Delorean last night. I see an assload of awesome cars around here tbh - saw a late-50's Corvette driving around today, saw some kind of 50's sedan yesterday... It's actually probably not related to the fact that Laguna Seca is about ten minutes away since nobody would drive any of these cars there. There are a few M3's floating around though.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

thealphabetsez posted:

Then I noticed a new addition to the fantasy factory:

1 of 10 (I've been told) in the US. It will lead a life exclusive to the next season of Lotus Cup!
How many Lotus cars are there in America anyway? I'm at a military base within spitting distance from Laguna Seca and there's an orange Lotus of some sort floating around here, and I saw it on post today. The exhaust sounded pretty crazy.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I was busy driving when I saw it but it was done well enough that I figured there'd be a picture of it online. Sure enough. Scroll down, it's the blue Volvo pickup. It had clear lenses on the upper turn signals when I saw it though... and the lower clear lights were turn signals too. I was too busy trying to :stare: and pull off from a red light at the same time to notice if it had any backup lights at all.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Geez, look at that frame twist!

:stare: I seriously thought the reason the bumper was all off-kilter like that was that they had crashed. Holy poo poo.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hog Obituary posted:

Dunno if this was already posted, but this guy did a 9:55 on the 'ring in a 52hp Citroen AX diesel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

I love how he has to downshift on uphill sections just to keep from bogging down. :laffo:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I vote middle, the back end on the left is too weird and the one on the right looks like it got caught in a garbage disposal, being all cut up like that. The front is clearly Viper, and the back gives me a little Aston vibe.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Those seatbacks. :swoon: edit: And the headliner too.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 1, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Y'all do understand what this means, right? The latest and greatest example of bleeding-edge advancement in automotive design is a drat Volvo station wagon.

A station wagon is being presented as new, innovative and stylish.

:magical: This can only end well. Seriously, this is loving awesome. Now I wanna see what a brand I can afford can come up with.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Row row row your truck gently down the street

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Fattig posted:

I am now going to publicly display my preconceptions.
(I'm also assuming that you are all Americans)

Are you guys really this starved for estates (wagons, not home-owning)? I realize that I am suffering from a heavy saturation bias as I live 15 minutes from a Volvo plant in Sweden.

My strongest suspicion is that I am missing the target of attraction, anyone care to specify?
The wagons currently on sale goes like this:

Proper wagons include the Benz E, the BMW 3, and the VW GolfUm excuse me wagons are based on sedans in America, not hatchbacks Oh excuuuuuse me, that's the Jetta then. I'll even go so far as to include the Prius V. Plus the Cadillac CTS and the Acura TSX, both of which are on the chopping block.

Jacked-up wagons the seller wants you to think are crossovers include the Subaru Outback, the Volvo XC70, and the Audi Allroad.

That makes exactly two genuine wagons made by a low-cost brand, and one other low-cost pseudo-wagon. And the V60 won't be low-cost either, it'll start around $32K.

Crossovers and SUVs? Dozens of them, from literally every brand that sells cars here, except of course the exotics like Ferrari and whatnot. So yes, we sure as hell are starved for wagons.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 4, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:eng101: Indeed it will be, next year. That post was specifically with respect to cars currently available. If I was talking about near-future availability I probably wouldn't have mentioned the CTS or the TSX.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

He's got an LED dash light... is he a firefighter or something?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

I...um......

That looks like someone with my skill level (i.e. none) tried to build a car from scratch. :barf:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Im guessing it helps the front to skim across the top of the sand without getting bogged down.

I think the point is that when you've got less than optimal traction and the front wheels aren't gripping, at least they're sort of useful as rudders.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

And it's not even a Denali. :cawg:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Talk poo poo about a Lada all you want but take one for a spin. Hilariously funny. Ive never laughed so hard while driving a car at the sheer ridiculousness of it.
How so? I don't know a thing about them other than Jeremy Clarkson bouncing a hammer off one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

GramCracker posted:

The Mercedes C11 engine, 950HP :allears:

Looks like a motorcycle with those turbos there. Makes me wanna see a car with four wheel-driven superchargers. :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

No, it's loving stupid. They spent 100 hours prepping a car so it can be motor swapped in 42 seconds.

Time it from engine-off to engine-start (cranking doesn't count) and drive it to the next town to prove you did it right.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Smart's put out a promo for their next ForTwo and it looks to me like they've realized how bad the first one was so they're actually going to make it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjIvYfME0uA&t=124s
Because bigger is better, always and in every way. I drive a Suburban, I would know.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wait no seriously. I mean I know what's going on here, but seriously. What :catstare:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Whoopty-doo, another tug-of-war. But seriously, this is goddamn impressive if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCU6rWKVy8

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: also there's a city in Texas, Malakoff, I think, that has gloss black SUVs with matte black graphics. Pretty sure that level of sneakiness is technically illegal in Texas.
Those are all over the place these days. The invisible graphics are usually reflective though, so they do stand out at night.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

More power on the road when you need it, less weight, less power train loss.
I can't imagine the engine is connected straight to the wheels though. Is it like a Prius where the electric motor IS the transmission so it acts like, but is internally different from, a CVT?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Or that Group B was never cancelled.
If those cars made 250 hp in 1981 and 500 in 1986, that's an increase of 50 hp per year, so by that math, they'd be making 1,950 hp by now. :stwoon: If they just ban spectators from the curves, the only thing they'd have to worry about is gravel kicked up from the tires so fast it kills people, and that's... not a big deal, right?

Tire shrapnel.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 12, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

RWD in plebian cars is for all intents and purposes extinct; a few sporty hold-outs and various light commercial vehicles are all that's left.

Ditto manual transmissions.

Ask me how much fun I'm having getting a '15 Focus hatchback with a 5-speed. :argh: There's plenty with the awful DCT but the manual is a unicorn.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

Genetic algorithms are a heap of fun to watch:
http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/
There went two and a half hours. :argh: Again.

Mutation rate: 2%
Mutation size: 2%
Floor: mutable
Gravity: Earth
Elite clones: 2

Clicked "Surprise!", minimized the window and gonna get dinner and go to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The Midniter posted:

This is awesome but would be immeasurably awesome if it was slowed down 33% or 50%.
Seconding this. I can't get much out of it other than the cockpit moving forward.