Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I'm a fan of the LP400 without the wing (or any of the Pontiac-esque body cladding for that matter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

These were both parked in front of the Regent Beverly Wilshire hotel in Beverly Hills on Sunday. The Huayra has been parked there frequently for at least a week now if anyone in the area wants to see it in the flesh.

More Beverly Hills Veyrons. These were parked behind Bijan (the self-proclaimed "most expensive store in the world") on Rodeo a while ago.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

Y'know those sofas styled after the rear end end of a '57 Chevy? I'm seeing an untapped market in that vein for full-sized racecar beds. I can get a desk made from a 737 engine cowling or a conference table made from the horizontal stabilizer of a DC-3; why not a queen-size bed in a hollowed-out classic musclecar body?

(Actual racecars are generally smaller than the kiddie beds, but you could totally fit a queen-size mattress in a Countach shell)
I don't know about beds, but there is this stupid crap.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

My friend sent me a picture of his neighbor's Christmas lawn display.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of ugly Toyotas, what the hell was the thought process behind the grill on the new Lexus?
It's shaped like a spool of thread, symbolizing Toyota's origins as a manufacturer of looms.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

2 R34s and 2 R35s but no Kenmeri?

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I know you guys love shooting brakes.

Looks interesting.

Very interesting!

More here!

donut
Feb 4, 2001

This may just be fond Gran Turismo memories talking but I always dug the Castrol livery on that Supra.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

http://tinyurl.com/omur3tq

I want to spend so much money so irresponsibly on this site
So, what's it gonna take to get one of the tiny kei vans registered in the US?

donut
Feb 4, 2001

davebo posted:

I miss when we used to post more pretty ladies with cool cars.

I can't be the only one that enjoyed reading a car forum that didn't feel like it was populated by cavemen.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

On that note, the Countryman S always just looked like Zardoz to me.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Beat is an excellent consolation prize for any of the poor misguided souls actually carrying a torch for the S660 to come to the states.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Powershift posted:

What's even more amazing is what happened when they got ahold of a couple fieros

I would imagine you can fit a twin size bed in the frunk.
So that's what that thing is! West Los Angeles goons will recognize this thing that's been parked for at least a decade.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Raluek posted:

You're right, that ostentatious, 1500HP supercar might be kind of impractical to live with on a daily basis if they had done that.
The impression I always got of the Veyron from journalists was that it was by far the most practical supercar. It could be well-behaved around town, it was surprisingly quiet when you didn't put the hammer down, it wasn't awful to get into or out of, etc, so i would assume its successor would have similar goals.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

It also appears to come with a tiny Hard Rock Cafe in the dash.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If I weren't paying for a wedding I'd have bought him a new avatar.

Edit: no love for castrol?

Catrol is the best 90s livery. Lots of Sega Rally and Gran Turismo as a kid really set that one in.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Hikaki posted:

Honda Beat tucked away. This was in Kawaguchiko which is perfect for this kind of car. I also spotted one S660 in Korea but didn't get a picture.
I want a Beat so badly! They're 25 years old now so in theory it's possible to get one to the US but I'm 6'5" so I'm not optimistic about my odds of fitting into one.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

slidebite posted:

That's something I found different with museums in Canada/US vs Germany. If that was in North America those cars would be, at the very least, behind ropes. If not lovely people would be touching "trying to get a better look" and parents would see it as permission to let their kids run roughshod and touch/get into everything. Germany there was respect to not touch.

Between the Porsche and Mercedes museums, I think Stuttgart would be a great place to kill a few days.
AI goons visiting or living in Los Angeles should absolutely check out the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo. Very few, if any, cars behind ropes, they'll let you sit in anything that's not on loan, and every Sunday they take 3-4 cars out for drives and let you ride in them. The collection is mostly American and pre-70s, though there are some interesting oddballs like a Studebaker Avanti, an AMC Pacer, and a few British sports cars.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

A Pontiac dealer called "Gay Pontiac" would be childish to find humor in. Same dealer using rainbow livery however, is some solid gold camp.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

MrKatharsis posted:

Would it still be awesome AI car poo poo if I told you that was Bella's truck from Twilight?
At the risk of appearing an autist, luckily it's easy to look these things up.

quote:

It's described as a 50's-60's faded red/orange truck, bought by Billy Black in the 80's and frequently repaired by both himself and Jacob. Billy didn't want to sell it, but lost his need for it when he became disabled. On Stephenie Meyer's website, it is said that her truck is a 1953 Chevy Pick-up truck.

In the movie, Bella's truck is a 1963 Chevy StepSide C-10 pickup.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

If you spend any time in Beverly Hills or the San Fernando Valley you're bound to see Jay Leno about in something a few times. I've seen him just driving around Beverly Hills in the Blastolene Special, and last time I saw him he was driving through Sherman Oaks in a Citroen SM with a huge suitcase stuffed in the passenger seat. Even when he's doing normal stuff he's driving one or another of his sweet cars, I love it.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1964 GM-X Stiletto

BEST INTERIOR

:allears:
I love how you can see the genesis of the '66 Toronado in this.

The way the sides extend forward past the grille, the wide popup headlights, and the way the side windows and windshield flow together are the most apparent things that carried over.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

hackbunny posted:

They made one out of the 5 Turbo as well:

The transmission was very simple: it had two engines, two gearboxes, two shift sticks :v:

My favorite part is that the two transmissions don't even have the same shift pattern.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also WHERE'S THE GRILL? Someone at Aston had a seizure when they saw it missing on this, guaranteed.
I didn't think about this until you said this but they actually did a really good job of implying the traditional Aston grille on this design.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I found a copy of the May 1999 issue of A-Cars, a Japanese magazine for fans of American cars. I'll post some more later if people are interested, but this was my favorite page, because I think this is the most stoked anyone has ever been on a 90s GM dustbuster van.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Pell posted:

Im not sure this is the right thread, but....

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/6237019354.html

and it that page disappears:

Biggest red flag: "I am an Electrical Engineer who has spent countless hours making sure every detail is spot on"

As a bike wrench, I can tell you that whenever someone came in and proudly announced they were an engineer of any kind, I knew I was in for a pain in the rear end customer that thought they knew everything, actually knew exactly enough to get themselves in trouble and nothing more, and was gonna stand over my shoulder the whole goddamn time.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I was walking around and I spotted this. I barely noticed it, all the details are so well-done and subtle. Obviously it's a Silvia front-end on a 240SX coupe, but it also has a 5 lug hub conversion, Z32 brakes, and S14 OEM alloy wheels, the net effect being that there's a ton going on here that most people would have no idea wasn't stock because all the visible parts still say Nissan on them. I have to love how low-key it is, and I can only assume interesting things are happening under the hood.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

Froot truck.

Reminds me of the Paint Chip Barracuda.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm not 100% this is the right thread for it but my heart is telling me so.

Please tell me the sunglasses are the brake lights.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

My 2012 Yaris will do it, it was the only way to stuff a BikeE tandem (one of few vehicles dorkier than my Yaris) into it.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Two things I love about those cars, wool is the preferred upholstery because it’s quieter, and lace is preferred over tinted windows for privacy as tinted windows stand out too much and ironically draw too much attention.
I was visiting the Automobile Driving Museum, where they actually drive a few of the cars around every Sunday, and I've noticed that all of the older (like, pre-war older) luxury cars have wool upholstery. It makes a lot of sense for the reason you gave, and I also imagine it's much more pleasant to get into in cold weather.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/scc4.htm

Found the magazine article about it. Sport Compact Car was always the best of the 2ner magazines by far.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Godholio posted:

Vintage influence.
I wouldn't guess that was the work of a wine drunk but substances were definitely involved.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Is this from one of those Mad Max LARPer "Wasteland" car shows? That poo poo is like steampunk in that it could be cool but nerds have totally ruined it.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I just came back from 2 weeks in Japan, and while I didn't do anything cool like rent a GT-R I did take pictures of interesting cars I came across! Huge pic dump ahead.

My first few days in Tokyo were disappointing, car-wise. While I did see a Morgan 3-wheeler of some sort rumble by in Shibuya, I didn't see any uniquely Japanese Automotive Insanity until I got to Odaiba. Stepping out of the station and walking by a parking lot, I saw this:

Itasha! A Nissan Gloria turned into a rolling shrine to MyMelody and Kayo Satoh, a transgender Japanese model/TV personality. I managed to track down a page about the car and its owner.

Also tucked away in the lot were a EK Civic Type-R and a Cappuccino. As it turned out, the Tokyo Motor Fest was occurring on Odaiba that weekend, so I wandered around. Forgive the harsh lighting in some of these.

Honda Beat

A nearly full set of Nissan Pike Cars: Pao, Be-1, and Figaro. Just missing the S-Cargo.

Some other weird Japanese Nissan.

They also had a collection of bubble-era sports cars, complete with models in period-appropriate garb. Normally I'd be unimpressed by car shows putting girls with cars, but this was kind of cool.

Also nearby was this food truck, apparently some sort of Kei van with a Citroen kit.

MkIV Supra, parked by Kawaguchiko in this spot every day I was there, but still super clean in spite of its under-tree parking spot.

Spotted this sweet Toyota Liteace in Kyoto.

These were wasting away out behind some sort of performance-car-oriented business called Espirit near Kawaguchiko. The Integra (???) had a covered pickup bed in place of everything behind the B pillars. Reminded me of something I'd seen done to 180SX drift cars before, and the line of the window doesn't look quite right for an Integra so I think that might be what it actually is.

donut fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 19, 2018

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Suzuki Samurai, not Escudo
That's a Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick, which is a first gen Escudo. Which is what the fairing on the Pikes Peak car ostensibly resembles.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Snowy posted:

Just wait until self driving cars are mandatory, it’ll be Red Barchetta come to life
Pedestrian safety standards and consumer preference for larger vehicles high driving positions have nearly killed sports cars, we're already almost there.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh guys, Honda designed the (nearly) perfect car in 1999... The Spocket. 4 wheel drive hybrid drivetrain convertible minitruck/sports car with scissor doors :whatup:

kinda owns tbh... 1:30 into the video shows the 2 seats in the bed :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmXhPuaj4x4
It did get the "dashboard with rectangular screen artlessly stuck onto it" part right at least.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Can someone explain to me why every single kit that makes a recent corvette look like an old one is garbage but this is somehow :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

taqueso posted:

They make those colored/white bike tires, we have the tech to make decent modern glowing tires right???
They can make tires in whatever color we want, it just happens that black works the best. Here's a good article, from a bike perspective. I think bicycle tires can get away with more, but I bet if someone were making non-black car tires they'd be exposed to all kinds of liability as soon as someone had an accident that could even be remotely pinned on them.