Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Throatwarbler posted:

My favourite example of this is the Ferrari California.

You would think the big round lights would be the brake lights, like in all the other Ferraris, but they're not. The brake lights are actually the blacked out square things near the exhaust, because DOT regulations prohibit the mounting of brake lights on to body parts that are movable, like the cover for the folding hardtop on the California.

I'm sure Ferrari totally meant to do it like that from the beginning and didn't just forget that regulation existed until the car was ready to go into production.

Die-hard Ferrari fanboy here.... who hates the California with a passion. The side vents and the rear... ugh.

I can't unsee the smaller car being swallowed by a larger car in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My Nexus 5 has been taking poo poo photos lately. Sorry.

I loved the plate.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Since I commute 175~ miles every weekday, range is something I care about.

That's why I drive a Nissan Titan. And fill up every other day.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrYenko posted:

Is there a transmission shop in Etna?

:nyd:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

Gonna admit, i jumped when the tires blew.

You DICK!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

God drat.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Right, because the SBC powered performance cars are all fuel hogs.

S4 w/ DOHC V8 : 13MPG City, 20MPG Hwy
C6 Zo6 w/ LS7 : 16MPG Cuty, 25MPG Hwy

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 3, 2014

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh, you guys like heavy machinery? I can answer pretty much any question relating to excavators/dozers/backhoes/loaders/trucks. I'm the chief estimator for a large pipeline company.

Here's the view out of my office (Almost all of my heavy iron is out right now, but my two big excavators are in the yard):

Komatsu 1000 and 1250 Excavators sitting there on the right. I'm bidding a 2mil CY earthwork job right now that they will be perfect on. 7CY/buckets for each will let me load a belly dump in one shot.

Be an engineer:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slavvy posted:

I've wondered this for a while and I guess you're the guy to ask: what is the benefit of having gigantic fuckoff wheels like that as opposed to caterpillar tracks? I can understand the haulers having wheels because they potentially have to drive on hard surfaces, and their entire job consists of driving from place to place, so wheels definitely make sense there. But why would you want wheels on an earth mover?

Rubber-tire equipment can traverse at much faster speeds and over finished surfaces without destroying them. Tracking a track hoe (slowly) over a finished surface will disturb and or destroy it. Mainly, though, it's about speed. On a large earthmoving project, every MPH you can add to the haul speed is worth a lot of money.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sadi posted:

Thought the sunrise and sunset were nice today.

Sorry for lovely cellphone pics. Didnt have anything better with me.

Jesus. Could you be any more of a stereotype?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Actually it was "I'm going to post some poorly taken photos of my generic BMW in the awesome car thread" that I found annoying.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A Mondial 8 will never be a cool thing. One of my neighbors owned one in great condition back when I lived in Orange County, CA, and even as a Ferrari obsessed fanboy I threw up in my mouth a little every time I saw it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uh

This is the best thing.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
1) That is loving mental

2) That does not look like a comfortable place to be

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Debated for about 2 seconds.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4873367721.html

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Our lovely Fiat 500 is fun as hell thanks to being a manual. I can only imagine how boring an auto would be.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

revdrkevind posted:

Even in an auto version, it still puts a smile on my face flying over bumps on the springy suspension. It's not that the car wants to kill you, it's that it wants to die together.

Unless you own one of those horrible made-for-white-women XL versions of the car or some nonsense.

I hope every single person this ad represents contracts rear end cancer.

2013 500 Pop. Bought it used with all of 3,000 miles on it, popped the hood at the dealer and saw that it had a Mopar intake installed, and later realized that it also had a Mopar exhaust and short shifter kit. Whee.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

corn in the fridge posted:

While this is very true, my arguement is than in high end sports cars with highly tuned suspensions, powerful engines and sticky tyres, a manual gearbox will quickly become the most performance-hampering aspect of the car. To say that such a car would need one in order to be fun and pure is simply backward and ignorant

Oh, yeah, I agree with you for the most part. Once you get into real performance car metrics, it's not as critical to the "fun" aspect and can actually make things more dicey and less fun when actually pushing the car to the limits.

Manuals make boring cars fun, for sure, but CAN make fun cars a chore.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Time attack is the best thing. They look like full size toys.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've been taking my kids to the USS Midway in San Diego every weekend for the last couple of months. My 6 year old is obsessed with military planes and helicopters, and when we moved to San Diego my mention of there being an AIRCRAFT CARRIER that we could actually visit was met with some pretty stellar enthusiasm. I'll have to upload some photos at some point to the aviation thread.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

You'll understand when you're 80.

Edit: I've also found that it's a "people who give no fucks about cars or actually operating one well" thing.

One of my best friends in High School used to drive his Toyota Corolla like that at the ripe age of 16. He was a really, really nerdy Asian guy, and it did not help his image at all.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Harlequin is ugly as hell. I can appreciate it as being fun, and like they they exist, but it doesn't look "good" in any sense.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InitialDave posted:

I smell Kastein...

It's a Jeep thing.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A3th3r posted:

that looks like Moab, Utah to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yCCcVJE54

There's years of these things on youtube. Now I really want to do it.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 10, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Gulf always wins.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A nice long line of gulf livery legends... followed by a boring modded impreza.

Come on, man.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

88h88 posted:

I had an RC car in this livery as a kid.

Classy. As. gently caress.

I look forward to the future Royalton Racing livery

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Butt Wizard posted:

If you guys are going to post the Martini liveries then at least post the car it looks best on

Counterpoint

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I used to play with a 1:64 of this.

In the bathtub.

Nothing sexual.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night Danger Moose posted:

It Came From Imgur:

Come on, man.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I still can't believe they actually sold the CLK-GTR as a road legal car.

It's just bananas.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think he meant to type "Boat" and not "quad"

Honest mistake

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't have a lot of experience on ATVs, don't know how to ride a motorcycle, etc etc.

One of my friends bought their aging father one of these for his birthday a few years back: http://can-am.brp.com/off-road/atv/renegade/renegade-x-xc/specs.html

His is a 900, so it must be the previous generation. Regardless, it has something like 90 horsepower and is absolutely batshit crazy. We took it out when he bought it, and I nearly killed myself several times blasting through the twisty dirt roads around his dads place in the desert. That thing got up to 60mph in no time and I really probably should have died with how stupid I was riding it.

gently caress, it was fun.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Escudo Dirt Trial will always inhabit a special place in my cold, black heart.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bob NewSCART posted:

W

I'm not too good with my history yet, can someone give me a name of both the rear end end of the car and the red one so I can mastur.. I mean look at them.

Come on man, you never played NFS: Porsche Unleashed?

The red car is a Porsche 911 GT1 and the rear end end car is... gently caress...

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

T1g4h posted:

Panoz Esperante GTR-1 is the one with the rear end end poking out.

God drat it. Would have been a lot easier to ID with it's snout side poking out instead. At least I don't feel bad about recognizing the tails but not being able to ID when they were on a GT car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

That game was great. I also liked how the 993 was better than the 996.

It really was an amazing game. I probably enjoyed NFS:PU on the PC more than I have any other racing game, save for the many hours I spent dumping quarters into Rush 2049 at the arcade in college, trying to maintain top placement on the leaderboards against that unknown bastard "AAA."

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Did I just travel back in time to High School when this poo poo was awesome car stuff?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What thread is this?*

*The red Supra is almost awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

El Jebus posted:

I live "near" 29 Palms and the marines who fly the Cobras decided that they needed a break and would fly over to Palm Springs on a training run. They happened to arrive right next to the beer fest happening at the air museum a few blocks down. After making friends, we decided they should come back next year. They agreed to do a fly by a couple times and write it off as training if they got free entry. Obviously we agreed and said they would get vendor wrist bands so they would also drink free. Everyone is happy!

The Palm Springs air museum is so great. Anyone that finds themselves in the area really needs to find a way to head over. Great WW2 aircraft, many still flying, including an awesome B-17 and the best P-51 I've ever seen at a museum. When I lived out there, I took the kids pretty regularly.