Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It appears Alex Roy went out in the hurricane last night driving his Morgan three-wheeler. I can't think of many thinks more awesome than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have such a crush on the three-wheeler it's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjn-53H0WfQ

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

juche mane posted:

No I know he does the cross country rich rear end in a top hat thing and didn't think that he actually drives around every day like that, but go on. Keep defending your Cool Speeding Idol.

He's nothing but a spoiled child spending daddy's money and it's a miracle he hasn't killed anybody yet.

Automotive Sanity isn't where you are, bro. Just saying.

Driving from NY to LA in 31 hours is pretty much the definition of automotive insanity, whether you approve of the methods or not.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Seen on Jalopnik this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAMb7t1DyZ8

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You guys know whats pretty awesome?

Screw-powered tractors.

:clint:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

Screw propulsion is pretty awesome. It's like tracks but better in many ways. Hope you're not in a hurry though.

or...

or...

or you're screwed?

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I was just on the bus and this pulled up at a red light.

There was also another heavily modified liveried BMW trailing behind, but I couldn't get a picture. That one was on its own wheels though, and it wasn't anywhere near as crazy.

i just can't hate it. It's too 3.0 CSL to hate.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dubzee posted:

Hell yes.

Continuing the theme:

V16, bitches :getin:

Always been one of my favorite cars.

I believe the story is that engineers working for Lamborghini were upset when Chrysler management wanted them to make the Diablo less extreme. So they quit and went out and formed their own car company, and the Cizeta Moroder V16T is what the Diablo was supposed to be.

Though turned up to 11, it would seem.

V16! transverse! Quad pop up headlights! Bob, we're out of cocaine!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A coworker spotted this in the wild.

After doing some research it's a Citroen 2CV H-Van. I had never heard of it. I want one now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

razorscooter posted:

It's actually two flat plane V8s joined together in a single block with some gears in the middle to send it all out to the transaxle out back, because a regular V16 would have been slightly less ludicrous than two engines.

Directly beneath the exhaust manifold, that black thing... it looks like a turbo, but I don't think it's a turbo. What is it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

El Scotch posted:

Man Group B was awesome.

I mean, the dying sucked, but man the rest of it was awesome.

'Elf and safety! :argh:

I'm looking for a decent Delta S2 wallpaper but most of the wallpaper sites are blocked at work :doh:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revdrkevind posted:

"Hey, pause the car!"
-iPod user
:negative:

When I was about eight years old I asked my mom if she would pause the car. I was playing a poo poo ton of NES at the time and didn't understand the dynamics of driving very well. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

Best thing at SEMA calling it.

The installed 8-track player with Sabbath 8-tracks really seals the deal for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
http://www.motoexotica.com/inventory/listing/1984-aston-martin-lagonda-owned-by-robert-evel-knievel/

You can buy Evel Knievel's Lagonda, with a 502 Chevy and a coffin trailer.

I don't care what anybody else thinks, the Lagonda was a good-lookin' car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

He sounded so unimpressed when Jay said "It's yours..."

:downs: "really?"

Not even a "Wow what the gently caress? You're messing with me!"

Just "really...? Cool."

He probably doesn't have much of an income and just realized he's gonna have to insure the thing to drive it. Not to mention registering it, putting gas in it, possibly paying tax on it...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I imagine the rates will skyrocket once they start selling them and all of them get totaled all of the time ever.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Today on Jalopnik's Nice Price or Crack pipe, they have one of my all-time favorite cars, a Zil.

Nothing else quite has the same presence as those. Show up in a Rolls, yeah, you have money. Show up in a Zil, yeah, you probably have your own country whose people you oppress from time to time.

I think I like it better than the Mercedes 600. 7.7L V8, 311 HP, 11,000 lbs :psyduck:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Our local Snap-on guy rolled up in his new truck recently. Notice the vanity plate.

True story: I design those for LDV. We supply the base truck (some of them are monstrous, literally the longest, widest and highest a vehicle can legally be in all 50 states, those LDV turns into emergency command centers). I do a lot of their tool trucks, both the box truck style (that one) or the walk-in van style. I also designed the interior A/C system for their walk-in tool trucks, when I worked at a different company.

Always neat to see them once they're finished.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Please tell me you use Craftsman stuff to do the work.

I design them and listen to the people that build them complain. I'm not sure what tools they use, come to think of it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When you design them, do you have any tools at your disposal that can model a human hand with a screwdriver/wrench/whatever in it so you can test that the part you've just required can actually be assembled in place? I know there are a LOT of people who say "I hate engineers" and "what moron engineer thought putting THIS right HERE could possibly be a good idea!?"

Is that something that comes up at all in your work?

Nope, though out trucks are so big you can work on mostly everything on them without any effort at all. The only thing we really have to account for is the fuel sending unit access, and we put a huge plate in the floor to get to that.

Unless the customer specifically doesn't want that, which has happened. In that case, uh, good luck. It isn't the norm, though.

The entire hood opens, and there is a huge access panel in the cab to get to the engine/transmission. A guy was complaining a few months ago that there wasn't enough room on an old-rear end prototype he was swapping the battery out on, to get a wrench on top of the terminals. I went out there and could fit my head between the top of the battery and the underside of whatever was above it. I offered to do it for him :v:

Edit: The box truck side of things is funny. It's a very cut-throat market, and to make sure we have a margin at all, pretty much no engineering gets done on them. Some measurements are literally done using hand-widths :)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 1, 2014

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

I really really enjoy the snaps you share at work too. keep em coming, they're awesome :D

Thanks! I don't have a good connection here on my phone and I've ended up losing some really cool ones :( But I'll keep 'em coming!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ladies and gentlemens, the Thomassima.

Reading that link, I think he may be one of the most AI people ever.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

Perhaps someone will catch why this is special.

Is that an S38?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That thing isn't stock, it's missing the huge dent in the rear quarterpanel that they all have. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Butt Wizard posted:

Do they look identical to every other Aston Martin made in the last 15 years?

I seriously can't tell a Vantage from a Vanquish and that makes me sad because they're both good looking

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

And 600bhp.

And a twin-supercharged V8

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

duodecuple-supercharged 1,704 cubic inch V24 two stroke diesel.

That's right, talk dirty to me

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stealth Like posted:

I must be broken too.

Meant to run toe to toe with Ferrari, eh?

I would totally watch Smokey and Il Bandito

Pope: "Il Bandito, I need these four hundred cases of communion wine delivered to Naples within sixteen hours! Can you do it?"

*Cue Italian version of Westbound and Down*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Let's not forget

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

Koenig is terribly awesome AI poo poo

awesome

awesome

terrible

terrible

I always wanted a Ferrari F300ZX

http://www.1000sel.com/ is pretty much my favorite website ever. I know I've posted it before, but it's worth a repost, and I bet most of those are at least on that website.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

I had a book on concept cars when I was younger which had the GT90 in it and I grew kinda fond of it. It's definitely not hideous, I really like the design of it but that may be because it looks like it should be in an anime from the late 80s.

That looks an awful lot like the Aston Martin car they did for Gran Turismo Vision...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Lamborghini Countachs came with a donut just like every other car.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/why-owning-a-lamborghini-countach-is-a-gigantic-adventu-1679249092

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Also known as the car you pretty much have to buy to beat that one loving GT6 series :mad:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

You can win that series with the Chapparal 2D if you're any good.

If I remember correctly the 2D is much, much more expensive. Isn't it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BMB5150 posted:

2D is 10 mil credits and 2J is 15 mil credits. Grind those seasonals. I was an early adopter and used a credit glitch to get all the cars I wanted after I beat everything in the game.

Yeah but I think the Toyota 7 is under 2 mil, and seems to be the car to beat anyway. It was always that and the 2J out in front, the one to buy is obvious.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

corn in the fridge posted:

Go drive a 15MY Vanquish with that same ZF 8spd auto and then tell me that car would be better served with a 6spd manual.

I think it's more what the driver gets out of the car. A manual provides a driver with greater control, as he is directly dictating the ratio between the crankshaft and the wheels. Some people don't care at all about that, and some people take great pride and pleasure in that. The people that enjoy the amount of control that provides would absolutely prefer the six-speed manual, even if the automatic is faster, intuitive and wipes your butt for you as you drive.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lol you can do the same in the Vanquish.

Are you limited to doing it sequentially? Or can you go from sixth to third directly, for instance?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yes you can do block shifting by holding down the downshift paddle.

So if I want to shift to a particular gear, I hold the lever down for a particular amount of time, hoping that I don't fall short or overshoot the single gear I'm aiming for, out of seven possible gears...

My personal preference would be to say "gently caress that poo poo." Granted, I'm not the targeted market for Aston Martin, but still, I would refuse to purchase that automobile given the amount of real traditional manual transmission automobiles still on the market in that segment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Also what cars come with a manual today in the £200,000+ segment??

According to the googles, that's $300,000+ in real-world units and now that I think about it I have no idea. :smith:

Although thankfully in all the segments I can actually afford, the manual transmission is alive and well and as long as I don't win the lottery I guess I have nothing to worry about.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sadi posted:

Every auto I've ever driven can engine break if you manually select gears.

Yeah, that's another concern of mine :v: