Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Nascar should decide with a coin toss whether to race clockwise or counterclockwise 5 minutes before the race starts.

Also more road courses. Nascar on road courses owns.

You'd love the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series. It's like looking at NASCAR if it were to evolve into actual road racing. Similar motors, similar chassis requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know nothing about driving trucks. At what point does that become unacceptable? I mean it looks dangerous sure, but the only thing I can think of going wrong is pinching the trailer. Or maybe tipping over? That doesn't seem likely though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A carbon fiber bed and 1800lb curb weight may not be entirely mutually exclusive.

The guy was a bit vague on whether or not he took actual skyline panels or if he replicated them in the interview. Based on the build photos, it looks like they made nearly every panel from scratch.

Content: Have the bestest little turbo :3:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stealth promo. Nice. I followed it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If it's a flop the owners will have the last laugh. *cough*XJ220*cough*

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tyrannosaurus wrench

Needs stock wheels for hilarious sleeper.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If we're having a livery slapfight.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I always liked the Canon livery as well

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Race cars are the only time you can do stupid poo poo with your paint and people think it's awesome.

You do any of that to your daily driver? It ends up in the terrible car stuff thread.

Eh, I think its probably okay if you are promoting your business. It's kinda close to race sponsor, right?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fayez Butts posted:

and so is BMW's

They run this car at the Lime Rock Historics every year and it is by far the loudest car in it's group.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wheels that are designed like that. Are they meant to actively pull air through them to cool brakes or what?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Friction is going to be near negligible due to low velocity and a relatively high mass/surface area ratio. You errors in timing and height displacement off the ground when it stops accelerating from the air bag will yield higher values.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like that was a terrible packaging layout. But at the point you are spending that kind of money I'm sure the owner has a plan.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

scuz posted:

Sure, yeah, I read that, but was he a part-time petroleum engineer? Who the hell can work for a year or two out of 7 and have the money for road trips (regardless of camping each night) and track expenses?

Full disclosure: I am bad with money and have a thread to prove it.

A staggering amount of debt can be held on credit cards. Pay if off slowly. Not a good financial plan, but one that would work in the timeframe we're talking.

Just having a large savings to start with is a potential other option.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I heard it has so much torque the chassis would twist coming off the line.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like someone dropped a body onto a snowcat and said, "There, it's a car now."

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Needs more octopus beak.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll donate when I get home. Those guys deserve a beer or two.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 21, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm digging the trucker style steering wheel.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Love the crimson haybaler, they didn't take many design liberties with the mean machine, though.

The whole series is fantastic, though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know the real article is based from a Tatra 815 with a bunch of long nose stuff bolted on. Get a bunch of models on the same scale and cobble it together.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cakefool posted:

Am I confused or are you responding to InitialDaves post about driving a replica jaguar XJ220 by proposing he base it on the fury road war rig?

Because that would be loving AWESOME.

I honestly have no idea what happened. Someone was talking about a model war rig somewhere in AI. Where am I? I'm scared.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, that's it. Since we are on that topic:

https://www.facebook.com/divenine/photos_stream

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How high off the ground do you think the back wheels of the bug would get in an emergency braking scenario?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Revisiting a video that I like to watch every now and then. It is by far my favorite "power is the solution" race car ever made. The Mannic Beattie powered by a 1.7L Cosworth tubrocharged with its own dedicated helicopter engine spooling the turbine making boost at 25psi. This produced around 400 horsepower at 7500rpm driving all four wheels. It has perfect weight distribution at an estimated curb weight of 650kg (1433lbs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11687nVdzdk&t=38s

It's rather fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNnXOAAhWI

I am convinced there is no better way to turbocharge any vehicle.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's what I mean, I thought it was just used as an air supply to the engine itself. Hard to say without going over the car though.

If you can decipher those engine photos I posted, the answer is probably in there.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A few of my favorite shots from IMSA Weather Tech at Lime Rock.

IMG_0364 by um excuse me, on Flickr

IMG_0357 by um excuse me, on Flickr

IMG_0271 by um excuse me, on Flickr

IMG_0269 by um excuse me, on Flickr

IMG_0273 by um excuse me, on Flickr

230A1267 by um excuse me, on Flickr

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

Thanks for posting those, I was driving home the whole time that was on then completely forgot to check the results until you posted that. Can't believe after the disappointment at Le Mans I missed the Corvettes winning 1-2. Was it an exciting race? Anything worth trying to track down or should I just be happy with the results?

Suuuuper late on the reply. My bad. The race was very exciting. There were plenty of position changes and the corvette and GT teams stayed pretty tightly together, not staying much more than ~7 seconds apart the whole race. IIRC, it went in 3 main phases for a while. Corvette was in the lead in the beginning, then it was corvette, GT, corvette, GT for a while. Then Corvette, GT, GT, Corvette. Then GT, Corvette, GT Corvette. It all sort of fell apart for Ganassi racing at the end. It went back to corvette, GT, corvette, GT. Then Corvette, Corvette, GT, GT for the last dozen laps or so.

But in case that's kinda hard to follow. IMSA put the whole race on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiSD-fc-6n4

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Somewhere half inch steel mounts to sheet metal a few mils thick on that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Since when did aesthetics trump functionality in AI?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think it would have been cool to built another outside the box N/A car instead of turbo the old one.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm digging that aesthetic.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there no application where a turbine would be useful for a road vehicle? A truck is the closest thing I can think of. Needs lots of torque, spends most of its time at one speed.

In other news I found the guy on Facebook who made this thing:

https://youtu.be/wQM_TyyRye4

You remember that thing. He said he still drives it for exhibition runs at drag strips. He also has a jet powered minibike and a pro mod dragster. His YouTube channel has been active all these years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If the jet engine economy scales it would still be impossibly expensive to use a turbine. Shoving a power turbine into a truck would cost something like $400,000 and the maintenance for the life of the engine may be similar. The exotic metals needed to run jet turbines at efficient compressions make them very difficult to be economically feasible.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Roadkill just posted an article on Turbonique and it's crazy rocket driven differential and supercharger.

http://www.roadkill.com/in-1960-you-could-buy-a-mail-order-1300hp-rocket-engine/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing a bit of feasibility study for a potential project. I got the largest turbo Precision Turbo and Engine makes on loan. Designed for engines up to 2400hp.

It weighs 51 pounds without any internals.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Let's be honest with ourselves: at this point you no longer require the engine.

This was by far the closest guess. It may become a build thread in SA one day. I just don't want to get hopes up by starting it now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have two criticisms about freevalve. The first is you only have one valve going to the turbo, this is going to be a huge flow restriction at high rpm and reduce overall output potential of the motor due to larger pumping losses. My second gripe is that all of these amazing figures he's claiming is almost certainly without the engine driving the air pump necessary to run these valves.

Like traditional cam driven valves, a large portion of the engine's energy is required to run itself. It will require a significant amount more energy to run pneumatic valves because of the energy conversion from kinetic to pneumatic at the air pump, then again from pneumatic to kinetic at the valve. The conversion is less than 100% at both points due to the laws of thermodynamics and compounding to each other. He will have an exceedingly difficult time gaining enough efficiency to overcome these losses.

That said I hope he can find a solution. I spent a lot of time researching camless engines years ago and gave up because it turned out to be a dead end on paper. The benefits are huge if the losses can be kept under control.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This isn't really the right thread to go into detail about it but a vacuum pump only has a dP of 14PSI, these valves likely run at hundreds of PSI at much higher flow rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't aware there would be so much interest in the tech. I'll make an effortpost when I can get around to it. Basically the summary is that the only losses in a cam system are friction and noise. All three types (pneumatic, hydraulic, and electromagnetic) of camless system have conversion losses on top of friction and noise. There is a hydraulic valve holding mechanism that isn't very well explained in FreeValve which may recuperate losses/increase efficiency, but I have no way to be sure.

Speaking of alternatively driven components:

This was an attempt at an all wheel drive hydraulically driven front Formula car in 1969. It never raced because it was too heavy to be competitive.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 26, 2016