Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

I was being facetious, hence the "downs" smiley. ;)

Might those be Yammy downdraughts?

According to this and the post linked from it, they're Mikuni 36mm carbs. I can't seem to find a video of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I wondered that too. When he's spooling it up by holding the brake and the gas, isn't the torque converter having to dissipate, like, an utterly enormous amount of power? Does that one run just completely cook the transmission fluid into a solid mass?

Yeah, that torque converter is going to be generating an obscene amount of heat right there; if the guy is at WOT then you're taking whatever the actual power output is at that RPM ( 250hp? 300hp?) and turning almost 100% of it into heat.

Sagebrush posted:

Wasn't there a thread somewhere talking about big industrial diesels at oil fields, where there can be enough oil vapor in the air that the engine just keeps on running even with the fuel supply cut off, and the only way to shut them down is to block the intake with whatever you have at hand? The post I'm thinking of ended with something like "that day, we discovered that a [engine type] will run just fine sucking in balls of newspaper, sheets of cardboard, and an entire set of mechanic's coveralls."

I think usually that type of runaway requires an internal oil leak, rather than just oil mist in the air.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clearly a 'shop, there's no puddle of fluids under it or a trail of oil mist behind it :v:

Those are nice wheels. gently caress I want another GT.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That seems like actually getting in/out of the back would be a pain, and what is that thing sticking up out of the tunnel?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to ask why a GS400 but gently caress, there's just about nothing Lexus left there.

Viggen posted:

Tunsen Shane, your friend in the diamond business.

The strangest thing is traveling to other places the Shane company is at and hearing an otherwise identical commercial, except for a different location.

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SAY AT SCOTTSDALE ROAD AND ACOMA

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Weddings are not AI, unless we're talking about those Australian weddings where the bridal procession is a bunch of Holdens or Rotaries or whatever the gently caress you guys do in the awesome upside-down country.

Devyl posted:

Considering previous generations of the Corvette? Yes. Guess I should've seen it coming though with the ZR1 and the ZL1 & 1LE Camaro.

Not that the C6 was exactly a piece of poo poo but let's face it, the GM of today (and the rest of the automotive market) is very different than it was in 2004 when they rolled out the 2005 C6. The C6 came into a GM that had no other serious performance cars; there was the GTO, but it never even sold as many units as the Corvette. The Camaro had been dead since it was finally euthanized in 2002, and wouldn't return until 2009 as a 2010. The Kappa cars hadn't come out yet but they were never going to be any serious concern.

Outside of GM, the S197 Mustang still had the wheezy mod-motor and the GT500 had yet to show up. There was the GT, but it stickered at 2-3x the price of a base C6. A regular 911 was still ~75hp down on the cheaper Corvette.

Since then, you now have ~400hp V8 Mustangs and Camaros, with suspension tuned well enough to make a base C6 check its mirrors. You've got 550hp CTS-Vs, Camaro ZL1s, and your pick of the Boss 302 or the current GT500, that will properly scare any Corvette that isn't a C6 Z06 or ZR1. The Viper is back.

The C7, for better or for worse, should present enough of an improvement in performance to pretty easily jump back on top of most (if not all) of those competitors, and that's before we see what the C7 Z06 and ZR1 look like.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I like how it achieves pretty much the same result as the hydraulic roll "bars" on the Mclaren MP4-12C, but in a rather different way. Roll stiffness is very high while being really supple over bumps, which is nice.

In any racing series where that type of setup is allowed, it's actually one of the most critical bits of the setup, and it's where a great race engineer separates themselves from the good ones.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

They actually had a sanctioned, official race that crossed over train tracks that were active during the event? :psyduck: Holy poo poo, I mean I know racing back in the day was dangerous as hell anyway, but that's just insane.

It's a miracle any of these drivers were able to get in the cars, given the sheer girth of their testicles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

That's very much Laguna Seca .jpg

There's an onsite muffler service to help people comply. Because moving right next to a racetrack that's been there for 50 years then complaining about noise totally makes sense.

Riversideraceway.txt

Speaking of which...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Actually, given the opening in the grille and what appears to be the edge of a Z06 badge poking out from under a shop cloth, that would actually be a LS7 shortblock being pulled out.

Which makes the troll even better. :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

Not only is the car just amazing visually, the chassis design is quite innovative for it's time even compared to factory works teams in F1.

Dan Gurney himself is also cool as hell. But yes, that Eagle is probably the prettiest F1 car of the last pre-wing era - and that's saying a lot when you're comparing it to the Lotus 49 and the Ferrari 312.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh? Looks a lot like a JK to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's a revolutionary new material, also known as the Emperor's New Block.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus loving christ, whether or not you like the Prius it's not awesome nor AI. Why does this, of all things, come up in this thread so many times? :psypop:

NEW RULE: EVERY POST IN THIS THREAD MUST HAVE A PICTURE

I didn't want to do it but seriously, Prius chat? You guys are better than that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not going to be a dick and go back and probate people for it, but Youtube isn't a picture, and we have a thread for that already.

Now if someone bought this, that'd be pretty AI.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 2, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Since I have no relevant picture for this post

You're better than this :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

davebo posted:

Sometimes I want to ask questions or say thanks for an image someone posted but we're not allowed, and now that I have a picture to post I don't remember anything I wanted to say.

Google image search a car you're particularly fond of that hasn't shown up much in here, you're likely to find something worthy of the thread to include with your textual response.

Or, if you're me, you find some images from that certain racing series you should all be watching:

I'd say 650hp and 170MPH on city streets counts as AI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So, in celebration of the fact that I think we've finally gone enough pages without having to probate multiple people for not putting a pic in the post... I think we can try a little more relaxed ruleset here, since so many of these pictures do warrant discussion on their own. But, I want to keep things interesting, and I still want the majority of posts in this thread to have photos.

So... not every post in the thread has to have an AI picture in it. However, every time we hit a new page, I'm going to go through the previous full page, and if there are 20 or more posts on the page that do not have a picture (meaning there are not at least 21 with-picture posts) on the page, everyone who didn't post a pic gets a probation for being part of the problem and not the solution. If I have to use it too many times we'll have to go back to the current pic-per-post rule, so I hope you guys are good.

As far as AI content, I think a plane with a wingspan equal to a 747's, that flew from San Francisco to Phoenix utilizing only solar power (and battery power that was generated by its own solar panels) counts.

They've got Solar Impulse set up at Sky Harbor for the next week or so, it's definitely worth checking out. Kinda crazy how much of the airplane is essentially empty space; the batteries themselves are only located in each of the four gondolas along with their respective motors. Seems like landing it would be on par with landing a U2, it has ridiculously spindly landing gear on each of the wingtips and under the cockpit. They're necessary to deal with the massively tall vertical stabilizer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

Cute but what the hell does that have to do with cars?

It's moving under its own power and it's insane. That's what.

In a similar vein, the now-late Dick Trickle, in an era of NASCAR when open-face helmets let you enjoy a Winston mid-race:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's awesome, right up until you see the fact that despite the four-link, drag slicks, and skinnies, it's putting down a quarter mile E/T that you could beat with quite a few (admittedly fast) bone-stock cars on street tires. Even more so, a 100mph trap speed tells me that without the slicks and four-link, it'd be more like a 14-second run.

Although, since I'm guessing that thing weighs pretty close to what my GMC does, making an AMC 4.0 put out the same power as a LS1 certainly counts as AI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Valt posted:

It's a 67-72, I would guess 70-71 based on the grill but I might be wrong about that.

Assuming the grille hasn't been mixed-and-matched, it's a '71 or '72. The fact that the bumper is correct for the grille and that it's a five-lug truck says it's really a '71/'72, or someone paying attention when year-swapping.

Also, I really like that wheel/tire/"stance" package. Give that thing at least enough paint to cover the primer and it'd look perfect.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 3, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're at the point with an engine like that where every component in them is already custom, and the 'design' is remarkably simple. It may have theoretically started life as a Chevy (he has one listed as a Pontiac, interestingly) but everything has been scaled well past compatibility with any parts that weren't purpose-built for this monster.

Speaking of custom parts...

Apparently those are 17" steelies set up for the hubcaps. I kinda want them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

They're the SL version too. And it's not just stance or whatever it's a full on track car and some bigtime win around the ring. :)

Doesn't matter, that poo poo looks good.

And now I want to see if anyone has ever put TE37s on a C10, but GIS is failing me.

Oh well, have some nicely modified 1967 GMCs, since it's the best of the '67-'72 grilles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

I dunno man the C10 aint too bad on the eyes.

My best friend agrees with you though, he says the GMC looks more "trucky" :arghfist:

Well of the Chevy grilles, the '67-'68 is definitely the best as well. The wheels on that second one are gorgeous, but it just figures that they're one-offs for what is apparently a Holley Show Truck.

Speaking of shop project trucks, I can only hope that the '69-'72 seen here is eventually going to be a shop project....

Because that photo was taken at Singer's shop, the guys known for putting out jawdroppingly-gorgeous early 911s.

I never even noticed that the truck was in the background of this photo until now, and I see more than just primer on it... so we can hope?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kill me now posted:

depends on how far he can push the rear facia in with his finger.

The true measure of quality.

A Ford truck (F1? F100? I'm not familiar with the model names of that vintage) that's really just a tube-frame gokart in the shape of a truck. Unfortunately, their skills are apparently almost entirely on fabrication and not photography, since while there's plenty of other pictures of this thing... they're mostly terrible. From here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It really is, and "the engine is shot" is a piss-poor excuse for not having it running. After all, every 350 on Craigslist came "out of a Corvette" :haw:

Seriously, though, the second-gen Corvette is one of the prettiest cars of all time and to me it's a bit of a shame it was such a short-lived model. Not that I mind the early C3, though - chrome bumper C3s are on the same level, and I suppose have an even shorter production run than the C2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

I fear just tapping the accelerator on that car a tiny bit would make it oversteer into a tree

You, me, and Bill Cosby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0

The local paper posted these up - they're each only half AI since it's a 'then and now' sort of thing.

So apparently Scottsdale PD had three goddamn Bricklins back in the day as patrol cars.

And what's not to love about the last street-circuit F1 race in the US?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I guess in theory it's nice, but it was like the most boring racetrack I've ever seen. All square uninteresting turns, no spectators at all from what I could see, every part of the circuit looked like every other. Huge walls lining the entire thing. Like the opposite of everything that makes Monaco fun.

:ssh:

But yes nobody went to it and Bernie got all butthurt when he found out that the Chandler Ostrich Festival drew a bigger crowd.

Doesn't make the picture of a F1 car in front of a church downtown any less cool :v:

Speaking of cars that would kill you as soon as let you look at them, have a cutaway of a 930.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, to me it almost looked like someone took a Laguna Seca Blue car and photoshopped it a bit. I didn't realize that "Mint Green" is apparently an actual BMW color.

Of course, LSB is one hell of a pretty color.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:siren: ARGUING ABOUT BMW NAMING IS NOT AWESOME NOR AI :siren:

Post pictures you fuckers.

Apparently these guys didn't get the memo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Flat plane is an old misconception from the days when exhaust systems weren't regulated as a spec part. Some teams would run exits on both sides and when the cars went by on the track you'd hear one bank of cylinders firing. Some cars had the traditional American V8 rumble, others would scream by sounding like a European exotic.

I thought they still did 180 degree headers / something like it for the plate tracks, or am I crazy?

And that Chevelle is awesome.

"Short shifter? Why would you want that?" :clint:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Flat plane refers to the crank pins being offset by 180 degrees, :words:

Right - but you can get a flat-plane-like sound from a cross-plane V8 with crossover / 180 degree headers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As found on BringATrailer and eBay, posting it here instead of CL Gold because this thing is loving amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got to go with the last wingless cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Less show, more go.

Flugplatz still lives up to its name.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy hell you guys, whining about your pocketbook at the pump is as far from AI as it gets. Shut the hell up and post some awesome pictures.

None of these people give a gently caress about ten cents a gallon and in this thread neither should you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So my wife bought our daughter some awesome pajamas. The top has what sure looks like a Dodge Challenger:

And the bottom has a lot of cars labeled "Vroom" and "Speedy".

But wait, what is that in there with the Challengers?

Volvo 122s. :hellyeah: Speed, not so much, class, yes. Children's Place if you feel that your child deserves the best.

Also, stop posting bugs that aren't made by VW, you jerks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Also please tell me where you got those pjs and if it's local please buy some in size 8-10 and send them to me, I will pay you double what it costs you.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Children's Place if you feel that your child deserves the best.

So close and yet so far :3: You're in Denver, right? Looks like there's a bunch of their stores up there too.

Also holy hell, that thing sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSNL5hcBCyE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I remember when that GIF first was posted - the engine is in the process of blowing up, and nobody could figure out how in the world it was blowing smoke rings while doing so. Definitely not intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

j3rkstore posted:

Not all wings are made equally.