Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Take a look at the ride height difference between sitting still and 150mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Boat posted:

Could the outlet pipe thing be because the intakes are also right the gently caress there? Getting rid of the heat before the intercooler makes sense, but maybe not if it's just going to heat the air going in anyway.

The turbo outlet temp is WAY hotter than the engine bay will ever be. Engine bay of a moving car is pretty much ambient. Compressor outlet temps are like 300F or more.

However, I'm not convinced you get much heat transfer to or from air moving quickly in a pipe or manifold. Never been sold on those phenolic manifold spacers either. On that audi to make 1100hp each turbo is moving almost 600cfm through 3" pipe which works out to air velocities of over 100mph. An air molecule is only in there for a fraction of a second and not a lot of cooling/heating is going to happen.

Also it looks like the cold side is just powdercoated black for looks, not insulated or anything.

On a related note I get so mad when people buy giant e-bay bar and plate intercoolers. Yeah it flows a lot and has a low pressure drop but it doesn't do poo poo to actually cool the charge air.

For content here more on that ridiculous time attack car:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2697/sneak-peek-the-nemo-racing-evo-part-1.aspx

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 11, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They get dumped back into the ammo drum.

I figured it would hold more. That's 17s of firing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

See this volvo?

Here's the dyno plot (at the rear wheels):

(horsepower and lb-ft you jerks)

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 25, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Reverse image search came up empty...what's under the hood? Is the build online?

This:

And yes:
http://brickspeed.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=952

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well it will be good at burnouts at least.

Here's some time attack stuff since the biggest event of the year is coming up. GST just posted some new numbers

1178 awhp on what is considered to be a low reading mustang dyno.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The problem with time attack is that it's not spectator friendly. My best weekends as a crew chief were when we set records on the first session of the day and didn't have to do any more laps. So if you are going out to watch a well prepared team they might only go out on track once or twice for 2-3 laps at a time. At our best we did about 30 laps, set two records that still stand and won the modified magazine tuner shootout over the span of 6 months. And blew up two engines.

So that's the thing with time attack- you are pushing the car to what it will do for a single lap. These cars can't do a wheel to wheel race for a number of reasons, the main one being cooling and reliability and another safety. Time attack isn't much more than a track day so in the lower classes you don't even need a roll bar. To race wheel to wheel the car needs a pretty extensive cage plus the car prep rules are much more strict. This lets you go out and see how fast the car can go for one flying lap.

Here are some of the top time attack cars in the world

Factor X Motorsports Development NSX from Las Vegas:

2400lbs. 980rwhp. Somewhere around 3000lb of downforce. Holds the overall record at Buttonwillow which is the benchmark for time attack in the US.

Nemo racing EVO from Australia:

2200lbs. 5000lbs of downforce. Went faster than anything short of a formula car around eastern creek on the low power map. 6 seconds faster than a v8 supercar.

GST Motorsports Impreza from Hayward, CA:

2500lbs, 1187whp

Cyber EVO from Japan:

World Racing Scion from Torrance, CA:

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 28, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Here's this year's version of that NSX from a few pages back:

and some video from yesterday
http://vimeo.com/53130736

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That's an impressive build. From watching the video I would have been surprised if one went for under 500k.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Brigdh posted:

You might be thinking of a LSD, which is between a locking diff and an open one. Depending on the behavior of the LSD, the off the ground wheel might not spin at all, but the one on the ground would still be driven.

There is no differential that can do that. A locking diff can keep both wheels turning the same speed and transfer all the power to the wheel on the ground though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Those rockers aren't just bolted down; there's a big boss sticking out of the transmission case that they pivot on. The bolt is just keeping it in place and not under any shear loading.

And the upper arm is n-shaped to provide toe adjustment and ensure there isn't any bump steer (like there would be if the toe link was not in the plane of one of the a-arms).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A friend's corolla:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Long Beach.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like the main hoop is one continuous bend or that it goes all the way to the floor. Plus there is no diagonal in the hoop, no a-pillar bars, and that door bar isn't really attached to anything else.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Here's a good article about engine balance

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth1.htm

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, it's probably a Hawk replica

Here's a friend's car:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes, I'm sure you see one of 500 cars ever made drive past every 1/2 hour.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yyyyyy posted:

Ran into this randomly in downtown Bellevue, WA, 2012 Pikes Peak winner

\

here it is drivin', fuuuck yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNO7weKKeVU

That didn't win pikes peak last year. Rhys Millen did in a Hyundai.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

New intake on Dai's drift car:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Better than vibram 5-fingers I guess?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, the act of compressing the air is where most of the heat comes from. I'm guessing you see some non-intercooled supercharged cars because they are operating at lower pressures in the 5-8psi range vs a turbo car that is often more like 15-20. Additionally, when you start operating outside of peak efficiency of a compressor you really start to add heat.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You keep waiting for one of them to get into it on the exit and it never happens. Well, not in the first 7min anyway. Couple of dumb passes though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have a friend who swears up and down the only reason he's still alive after crashing his car in high school is because it was an old volvo. And then he had another volvo (~93ish 850) for a long time after that. I don't have the heart to tell him his new ford focus is the safest car he's ever owned.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

It's been a while since I've seen anyone mention Nelson Racing Engines (NRE) in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6am0rCwAk

I love that those guys are taking high displacement stuff and throwing modern tech at it. That manifold and fuel system is bad rear end.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A fast car got some new stickers:

I think I liked last year's bare carbon look better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That car only goes outside a few times a year anyway

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes, that's the exhaust in top of the hood.

video, with flames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssGy4lUvd_c

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 19, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Main exhaust. Screamer pipe dumps under the car because of the manifold design and position of the wastegate.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

First result for "supra power curve"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Here's an nsx:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Video from last weekend of them setting a new buttonwillow record isn't up yet.
Here's last year:
http://vimeo.com/53130736

The year before has a better camera angle:
http://vimeo.com/31915490

This one is older but a little more fun to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ACPjGfGZo&t=34s

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 11, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The big limitation of that car right now is that it is on stock suspension links and geometry. With all the downforce it is hard to stay off the bumpstops plus down that low the front end toes out so the car is pretty unstable at high speed. The faster it goes the worse the handling gets. Kind of the opposite of what you want with a high power, high downforce car. Thankfully they've got Billy Johnson to drive it (he races grandam, rolex DP, and some nascar) so it managed to go 1:37.5 around there last weekend. I think if the current top Japanese and Australian teams like Scorch, Tilton, and Nemo come out next year they will go even faster than that. Here's how far they are ahead of everyone else in the US right now:
http://hellafunctional.com/?p=1468

Also I like the center console:

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 12, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

With ethanol (~8:1 afr) an intercooler is still a good idea. Methanol (~4:1 afr) it is mostly optional. Also, there could be an AWIC built into the manifold. That line coming off doesn't look like your standard boost reference.

That suspension design and trailing links are really old school.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I wonder what trickery they would've had to perform with the suspension geometry. All the angles would be significantly different at that speed, with the suspension compressed from downforce, than they would be on slower corners. They would have to juggle between it being sluggish at low speed vs prone to railroading and bump steer at high speeds.

You have to design for the downforce. So at slow speed the car sits high and is too stiff and doesn't handle well. To sort of get around the problem, most high-downforce cars have gone to a 3rd spring setup where there is an additional spring (and sometimes damper too) that only acts when both wheels are compressed. So going around a corner, one side compresses, one side extends, and the 3rd spring does hardly anything.

Some friends of mine are having the opposite problem and have to re-design the suspension before it will go any faster, no matter how much power and wing they throw at it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 6, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah that's mad mike's 4-rotor. With one turbo per two rotors. From another angle I found they appear to be about a 71 or 76mm compressor, so somewhere around 800-1000hp total depending on fuel, which is average for a top drift car these days. Daigo Saito's SC430 has well over 1000.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

More front wing details.

Edit: and also the underbody, diffuser, and other aero details.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 21, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sweet. That is so complex that CFD can barely figure it out and they basically have to guess at the new wing design and test at full scale to see if it works better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

Lime Rock had a pretty cool visitor today.

Hey cool. Friend of mine works for the place that makes those (Local Motors in Vegas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

GramCracker posted:

Like, it just looks bat-poo poo insane.

I guess it doesn't need intercoolers because you'll be dead before IATs get too hot.