Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

That's what I get for posting from my phone :( I was so excited, too :(

In your defense, it is a pretty good photoshop. It probably gets everyone the first time they see it.

I just noticed that whoever did it also removed the Acura badge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

You Am I posted:

It's got everything a rock album cover should have. Lightning, screaming beasts and a mid 80s Mazda 626

Holy poo poo, it's my first car!

(Though it might be an '86. My 1985 had sealed beams, the '86 and up had composite headlamps.)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Close-up of the plate from the fullsize pic on flickr.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

When I've seen this posted in the past, it's been mentioned that this is either a Chinese knockoff, or the bed is full of concrete, or the test is at 60+ mph, or all three. Pick whichever one helps you sleep better at night.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

...And in the driveway:

I like this one better.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I have a co-worker who retired from GM, so he always buys GMs. His last car was a HHR SS with the turbocharged engine, but he sold that and is now driving a Cruze. He told me he could get me the same deal he got, and I asked how much. He told me it was around $25,000.

I'm sure it's a loaded model, but holy poo poo that's a lot of money for an economy car.

I bought a new Jetta 1.8T (shut up) in 2003. It was a very nicely equipped GLS model, with full leather, heated seats, lots of options, and paid a little bit over $21k for it. The next week, a buddy of mine at work spent $23k on a new Cavalier that had no options and drove like a bathtub. Stuff started breaking the first week he owned it. I still can't fathom why anyone would want to spend that kind of money on such a poo poo car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

This was an article posted on The Onion today, and I think we can all relate to it: http://www.theonion.com/articles/38yearold-little-boy-posts-picture-of-fast-car-he,30631/?ref=auto

Voiceover says it was a photo of a Reventón but later shows a yellow Gallardo. Get your poo poo together, Onion.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Hot Cops posted:

Part of me wishes that error was on purpose to bring out smug replies from the exact guy that video was making fun of

(not referring to your post, moreso the 'HOLD UP, CAR GUY COMING THROUGH' comments on social media in general)

If that was the plan, it worked on me. I posted the same thing on my facebook.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Zenostein posted:

That and it's super nice to have the space for all my stuff for a long-ish trip.

I don't even regularly need all the extra space, but it's nice that it is there. Also, MT.

Then again, mine is a 2010, so the plastics feel less lovely, and the interior is less rubbish than the Jettas of today.

Also, the leatherette just reminds me of the cars my dad had as a kid, so I kinda like them.

The Jetta SportWagen currently on the market is still a MkV Jetta underneath, so it's a lot nicer than the MkVI Jetta sedans. If I was in the market for another wagon, I'd pick one of those up for sure. I'm planning to buy my inlaws' JSW TDI in a couple years.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

That looks horrible.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Got a sneak peek at the Minneapolis Auto Show tonight. It opens to the public tomorrow morning. Plenty of nice cars, but no C7 Corvette as I was hoping. The only Corvette is this ZR1:

We spent the most time at the rather large Audi booth.

S8:

RS5:

S7:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

VanNuys posted:

yeah, we had an acrylic (or something similar) SBC 350 in my advance auto shop class in HS. I'm saying it would be badass if they had the structural integrity to work and hold boost. It would make some repairs easier. You could check the plugs without even removing them!

My shop class in high school had the front clip of a first-gen Camaro with a "visible" straight six. Certain parts were clear so you could see the internals moving. When you plugged it in, the engine would turn, albeit at about 10RPM. I had forgotten all about it until your post.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Today was the first Minnesota Cars and Coffee for 2013. It was the first time I'd gone, so it was all new to me. Lots of cool stuff to see, here's my highlights.

The April & May shows are always small because it's still cold. June is when it starts picking up, and July is usually the best month to go. It's warm in the morning but not hot, the car turnout is fantastic, and the place is packed. My car was in the Audi row but I had to leave early.

Here's that Ferrari with the other cars that were at the LaMettry's tent, and my S4 in its former stock mode.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This is sitting at an antique dealer south of Minneapolis:

He has another Hornet painted up like a police car as well.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This was built and shown at Bimmerfest by Mike Burroughs, creator of Rusty Slammington:

... and this lovely E9:

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 21, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Porsche 959 - Never thought I'd ever see one of these, I was laughing like an idiot. Must be new, they didn't have any placard or anything about it. I really really really wanted to look in every nook and cranny but it wasn't meant to be.

The 959 is now legal to import. There are 2 black ones roaming around Minneapolis.

... and before anyone says it's a fake, it's not. The owner is the same guy who (still) owns this F1:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Cool BMW from the local anti-environmentalist group!

What do the signs say? All I can make out is "private property, no entry."

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Was taking a bike ride with the boy today and spied this just a couple of blocks from home in an alley. Nothing remarkable about it except that it has no fake-rusted hood, no "illest" stickers, and no tire stretch. It's very uncommon in my area to see a MKII Jetta Coupe, and to find one this nice was a pleasant surprise.

I've noticed fewer cars with fake rust. It may be wishful thinking, but I think the VW scene has finally moved on. It'll still take a little time for word to reach everyone, but I am noticing a return to clean cars like this one.

I love the RS2. It'd be the first car I imported if I won the lottery. Hell, I'd just fill up a transporter full of Euros and ship them over.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Saw this beauty in the parking lot at work yesterday. It was perfect in every way.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

BeamNG's paid alpha and tech demo are out!

I believe I've posted it here before; it's a driving game (and middleware) where you can drive cars. When you crash the cars, it fucks them up with soft-body physics simulation. Crumple processing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77cThD4vj8

My friend's the vehicle designer/modeler on this. Both the game and the cars are bitchin'.

More info here: http://www.beamng.com/content/

The "buy DRIVE" and "tech demo" pages linked on that page lead to what they sound like.

I always get sucked into watching these videos multiple times. They're just fascinating for some reason. I never really got into video games, but when I had a PS2, all I bought were car games and did this kind of stuff, completely ignoring missions, races, etc. This makes me want to get a Windows machine just to play it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

That looks so sweet for some reason, probably because I grew up in the 80's with terrible sci-fi movies. What is it?

Steinwinter truck concept: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2009/09/23/as-for-jettos-truck/

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I saw this on GramCracker's FB feed and figured he would have posted it here by now, but since he hasn't: Ferrari F40 LM Restoration on Build Threads.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

InitialDave posted:

It's clearly more road-biased, so I'm not surprised they decided to forgo lockers in favour of an LSD option.

This is why AI is consistently funnier than "comedy" threads. Subtlety, man.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

angryhampster posted:

So I'm watching Iron man 3 and about 1:00:00 in I caught a glimpse of a familiar farm truck:

Funny.

I remember catching that in the theater. I turned to my wife and said "Did you see the farm truck from youtube?!" She was clearly not as excited as I was.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

88h88 posted:

I assume you were asking for a link...?!

http://youtu.be/zcPHHEea3lE

From the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt8w3qlzZhs

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

burtonos posted:

Of course the douche would let his wife pump his fuel.

The woman's car is an A8, the man's is an A6. Audi shows all their TDI cars in white. They're trying to show two different people driving TDI Audis at the gas station at the same time, but the edit doesn't quite make that clear.

And let's just get this out of the way here: LOL ALL AUDIS LOOK THE SAME AMIRITE

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

xxn1927 posted:

Saw this last week. The door mechanism was pretty awesome. For some reason the passenger's seat was pulled from a 3 series (safety regulation?)

Those flaps that hide the taillights (or whatever's back there) make the car look like a dog sticking its head out a car window on the highway.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

Toenail wings were the worst Chrysler trend.

I've always thought the whole rear end of the last Eclipse looked like a big toe.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 3, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Here we see the audi engineer testing the potato capacity. The new a6 sportback has the largest potato capacity in class, a must for the discerning eastern European market. Vorsprung durch technik.

*A5 Sportback

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

SuperDucky posted:

I see your STI Police car and raise you a STI Police wagon.

I will never understand why people call any generation of WRX hatchback a wagon.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Saw a cyber gray C7 driving around today and tracked it down to a nearby Chevy dealer. It's a customer's car awaiting delivery.

I've seen a red one a couple times around town, but I think this gray might be its best color. The interior looks like it came out of a much more expensive car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

D C posted:

God damnit Chevy stop with the chrome wheels.

Yeah, I'd definitely swap those for something nicer.

Edit: As I was checking it out, a couple old dudes from the dealership walked out. Both walked straight past me to another guy who was looking at it. They must have assumed that my car was his, and that his shitbox Corolla was mine. One of them said something about trading "his" car for the Corvette, but they shut up when I walked over and got into my '13 S4 and the other guy got into his rusty Toyota. I'm 35 but look about 27.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 29, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

You sure showed them.

Hey dick. My point was that this happens to me all the time because I look young.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I like the before as well. This isn't half bad for a car that burned, though.

That photo is pre-incineration. It's being rebuilt again though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

In my first car, the entire dashboard would go dark, including the instrument panel, aircon, radio, etc. A good smack usually worked until one time when the bottom of the steering column fell off onto my legs, but at least that led to me finding the problem and fixing it once and for all.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Military stationed in an RHD country brought their car home under some weird rule?

Is it that easy? BRB, enlisting for a post in Germany.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Not that I wish to divert you from your chosen path...

Right, right, I know. Point is, plenty of cars I want over there.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

boxen posted:

It's -30 here. No, you really don't.

1° here in Minneapolis. It's a heat wave.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of ugly Toyotas, what the hell was the thought process behind the grill on the new Lexus?

They looked at what Audi was doing and swapped the left/right sides. If you want to see what a 2016 Lexus will look like, look at a 2014 Audi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This was photoshopped PR stunt for a marketing firm: http://www.brandpowder.com/911-ds-the-perfect-car/