Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That pretty much seals it. Need a fake business sign painted onto the truck now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I love that people are getting rad graphics again. (Although I would have went with one or the other, not both)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Saw a couple of nice things out today...

Classic hot rod here

The sign said the engine was from '49, the paint was all original or at least very old. I actually took this photo in 3d on my phone and it's the most amazing thing ever to look at.

Nice houndstooth in this Camaro.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
But what about this

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AMERICAAAN IRON

I've seen this truck before at Super Trucks USA (his truck customizing business) - and it has an amazing mural on the back of Denver. The flag wraps around over the hood to the other side as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Custom Internationals still in use for a safari company in Africa.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 22, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Super clean Wagoneer

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

Yes because truckers are the ideal example for this incredibly irrelevant discussion because truckers have an otherwise perfectly healthy normal lifestyle :rolleyes:

Did you look at his face? It's half melted.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

Your point being? Correlation is not causation. Plus:

[/quote]

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1104059

But that's not awesome is it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Preoptopus posted:

Second time this is posted and I still dont get it.

Edit: gently caress newpage

This is what I want my driverless car to look like.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PBCrunch posted:

But not as good as climate controls operated by three rotary knobs. Even fancy automatic temperature control can be operated with three knobs and two or three buttons.

I am very partial to a good climate control. I use one knob to go hotter or cooler and generally touch it two to five times in a four hour drive. If I'm feeling fancy I push the button for a/c.

Mind you, my Ford has a dozen more buttons, but I trust it can figure out everything else. Cold on top vents, 70 degrees outside is very low fan to hit my goal of 72 in shade. Those buttons are for my meddling wife who thinks she knows better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Phy posted:

The length of row isn't going to be the same every time, so they have to vary the stall width in order to get a whole number of spaces.

Yes! Or paint it all per code or city ordinance to get a certificate of occupancy and then restripe it closer so you can charge for more spaces. My last parking garage job had a mix of 8'-6" spaces and 8'-0" spaces to get the right amount, and marked the 8'-0" spaces compact. The perimeter was nearly all regular spaces, and the interior had the compact spaces as it wouldn't work otherwise, and it's nice to say you have more spaces.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

Nope. You should all learn to drive like us. :colbert:

How bad is it going from a RHD manual transmission to LHD, or vise-versa? I've only ever driven LHD, and the thought of first being out and up makes my brain hurt.

It made no difference to me, I was set as soon as I got out of the lot. I did however go to the wrong door a time or two. It may be because my normal stick shift is a '72 IH Pickup, which was so drastically different inside than the Toyota Auris rental in Ireland.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
:siren: I POST ENORMOUS IMAGES :siren:

:siren: I POST ENORMOUS IMAGES :siren:

The oldest truck at Denver International Airport, probably.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 19, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I came across these ads from another site, hilarious ad copy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Propaganda Bob posted:

Are there three separate master cylinders?

Front brake, rear brake and clutch, according to the build thread. That rig makes me want to be a better builder.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

holocaust bloopers posted:

Some of those aircraft are actually flying initial bombing profiles on the stadiums. It's decent training. The rest are either on their way to training areas or coming back from. Either way, they were flying that day regardless of the fly over.

I haven't seen a drat flyover since the sequester or the goverment shutdown or whatever that thing was a while ago. I'm pisssssssed!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Das Volk posted:

I'm considering taking ownership of my great-grandfather's Model A truck. It's a 1928 with an extended bed made of oak and in excellent condition. Still has the original worm gear drive rear end and is basically useless unless you're going very slow. Thoughts?

uh yah do it obviously. You can find a nice group of old men to go ripping through the countryside and use that truck for what it was intended for. I'm about two garage spaces short of having a Model T of my own.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ReelBigLizard posted:

The only benefit to that design as I can see it is the one they don't appear to be using. Which is that if it was upside down from how it is pictured, the prop shaft could sit significantly lower, increasing space in the passenger compartment by virtue of not needing a transmission tunnel in the floor plan...

EDIT: It would also keep the worm drive better lubricated.

Don't forget that roads in the early 20th century were poo poo. Good clearance means a lot on rutted roads from skinny tires.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

https://imgur.com/gallery/UXNue

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Is that the actual torque curve? Because that would be loving wonderful.

No, that would be awful.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

“The Coupe de Ville is not your ideal machine for high speed cornering in residential neighborhoods. The handling is very mushy… unlike the Red Shark, which had responded very nicely to situations requiring the quick fourwheel drift. But the Whale Bad of cutting loose at the critical moment – had a tendency to dig in, which accounted for that sickening ‘here we go’ sensation.

At first I thought it was only because the tires were soft, so I took it into the Texaco station next to the Flamingo and had the tires pumped up to fifty pounds each which alarmed the attendant, until I explained that these were “experimental” tires.

But fifty pounds each didn’t help the cornering, so I swent back a few hours later and told him I wanted to try seventy five. He shook his head nervously. “Not me,” he said, handing me the air hose. “Here. They’re your tires. You do it.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked. “You think they can’t take seventy-five?” He nodded, moving away as I stooped to deal with the left front. “You’re drat right,” he said. “Those tires want twenty eight in the front and thirty two in the rear. Hell, fifty’s dangerous, but seventy five is crazy. They’ll explode!” I shook my head and kept filling the left front. “I told you,” I said, “Sandoz laboratories designed these tires. They’re special. I could load them up to a hundred.

“God almighty!” he groaned. “Don’t do that here.”

“Not today,” I replied. “I want to see how they corner with seventy-five.” He chuckled. “You won’t even get to the corner, Mister.”

“We’ll see,” I said, moving around to the rear with the air-hose. In truth, I was nervous. The two front ones were tighter than snare drums; they felt like teak wood when I tapped on them with the rod. But what the hell? I thought. If they explode, so what? It’s not often that a man gets a chance to run terminal experiments on a virgin Cadillac and four brand-new $80 tires. For all I knew, the thing might start cornering like a Lotus Elan. If not, all I had to do was call the VIP agency and have another one delivered… maybe threaten them with a lawsuit because all four tires had exploded on me, while driving in heavy traffic. Demand an Eldorado, next time, with four Michelin Xs. And put it all on the card… charge it to the St. Louis Browns.

As it turned out, the Whale behaved very nicely with the altered tire pressures. The ride was a trifle rough; I could feel every pebble on the highway, like being on roller skates in a gravel pit… but the thing began cornering in a very stylish manner, very much like driving a motorcycle at top speed in a hard rain: one slip and ZANG, over the high side, cartwheeling across the landscape with your head in your hands.”

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Proper Bel-Camino.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

"Ok, let's build a 57 Chevy body, in fiberglass. It's gotta be aerodynamic... Whoa whoa whoa, not too much aero, get those headlights vertical line they belong. You know what? Put visors on those headlights, there it is!"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

m55a2 based pile of sex. :kimchi:

Incredible. "Coca cola, stay out, we cold"

I want to run an epic project like that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kimbo305 posted:

Clockspringed at the ball hinge?

No they're pretty clearly running up the drivers side from the hood to the hitch and plug into the trailer, along with the safety chains. They're not meant to spin round and round in 'highway' use.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Preoptopus posted:

A few pages back I posted 2 original AC Shelby Cobras on one street and no one cared but a Kei van... My priorities are all hosed.

I assume all Cobras are replicas. I don't hate, actually love them and appreciate them as hand built cars, but not that special.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How do you even manage a tire that big solo? I can just imagine calling my buddies over to help me take a tire off so I can check brake pads.
Use a dolly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

TPI small blocks. All of the fuel economy of a V8, none of the power!

Sounds like the motor it came with!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Guinness posted:

Relatedly, just yesterday I saw an Audi with a big fake euro-style plate that was done up like a Washington State plate. Had the Mt. Rainier background and WA state crest in the blue box that normally has the EU country abbreviation and presumably even had the real plate number. But no way that is possibly legal, and I didn't see the real state-issued plate mounted anywhere, either.

Wish I could have caught a picture. That seems like it is just begging to get pulled over.

I saw a similar on an Audi but Colorado. My opinion was it was awful. Not sure on the legality either. Honestly I don't care about plates at all and never cared about the look one bit. The only plates I really like are the 5 year plates on my pickup that also exempt it from smog testing, as a collectors car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kylej posted:

Saw while grocery shopping. Thought it was cool.

Correct!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Terrible Robot posted:

Toyota Century :eng101: though the Nissan might also have had it.

Two things I love about those cars, wool is the preferred upholstery because it’s quieter, and lace is preferred over tinted windows for privacy as tinted windows stand out too much and ironically draw too much attention.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

InitialDave posted:

I haven't watched any.

But I picture someone staggering back to the road after highsiding into a field of sheep at three-figure speeds, and a farmer in a battered Hilux rumbling up and asking "Y'alright there lads?"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slim Pickens posted:

The US goes month/day/year, but most of the rest of the world goes by day/month/year, so maybe month/year was just more universal.

More global. Universal would have to be an objective time system not linked to one religion and planet. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Super clean example of a car that I usually see in shambles.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sorry for partying

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rhyno posted:

That's badass. Dude's gonna be a legend once it's painted.

Only if you know how to find him and his band of mercenaries.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah but didn't it still handle like a truck tho?

This is America in the 1900s! Who cares about handling? Look cool and go straight fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've just always hated riding in or driving trucks they are awful :shrug:

They’re the best! Half the suspension should be in the bench seat.