Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Boat posted:

That looks cool as poo poo. Air to water intercoolers and ceramic coated everything? Goddamn.

Coating the compressor outlet pipes was a dumb loving idea, you can get rid of a huge amount of heat before the intercooler with a nice bare aluminum tube.That setup looks nice, but its just making the charge cooling work harder. That and water to air cooling is so efficient and very heavy, why have 2 coolers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Boat posted:

Could the outlet pipe thing be because the intakes are also right the gently caress there? Getting rid of the heat before the intercooler makes sense, but maybe not if it's just going to heat the air going in anyway.

As for the two water to air cores, it seems they share a circulation system? Possibly easier to source/package two smaller single cores than a larger core and split piping or a dual inlet dual outlet core.

Stylish and compact packaging was obviously the first goal with that system, symmetry is something really intertwined into that design. Parallel cooling is a bit of a pain with single pump/reservoir/exchangers, and series cooling would make for a cool intercooler and a significantly hotter intercooler, which is just plain bad design.

I wouldn't have done dual coolers, I wouldn't have coated the turbo outlet pipes, and there's probably other things that would be changed to make it more simple, possibly more reliable, and maybe even better overall performance.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

djdanno13 posted:

I want to believe it was, but it's hard to tell. Then again, it is Texas. Regardless it's a badass car.

Can't stop, won't stop.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kastein posted:

I always wonder how the motor mounts like that when turning.

Drag cars usually bolt the engine directly to the frame, or have aluminum solid mounts.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

Supercharged V6? Yeah, that would be loving terrible.

It was, being a Taurus/Windstar engine, with even weaker headgaskets. It was a good source for junkyard superchargers, not much else.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My dad has an 85 Chevrolet Scottsdale camper special. Its a stupid piece of poo poo despite having only 29K miles on it. I've driven more than one and its far better to just pick up the newest 1/2 ton full size you can. Emissions carbs, rare tire sizes, awful gearing, crappy big truck automatics.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

It's a drat shame Lemons introduced Class X and pushed away these guys. They were awesome fun to race with, and their engine always stood out so well against the 6k redlines of everyone else.

Problem is that even cool swaps had some even more questionable engineering, and a few so far past the point of triple factory power that unless they had been properly managed from an engineering standpoint, they'd be too dangerous to race. The MetroGnome was awesome in all of its iterations (in the FWD days especially), but has some stupid boneheaded choices made that really conpromise its reliability and handling by people who definitely know better.

I feel so bad for John Pagel, LeMons technical steward. He's an awesome guy (did the Charade cage) and is always extremely friendly, but I can't even imagine the poo poo people bring to technical inspection.

edit: I'm working on a turbocharger setup for the Charade, but 12" Lotus front brakes are a given with it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Aurune posted:

Well, 944s have not exactly had the most impressive record at 24 hours of LeMons. The first one to win was piloted in part by Emanuele Pirro former Audi 24 Hours of Le Mans driver.

If this onboard video of him, casually lapping Road America, periodically checking his watch isn't AI as poo poo. I don't know what is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7LKgyFweg

This is the best LeMons video ever.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

License plate should be TRYHARD, what a loser. That is the kind of monkeycheese jackass that makes driving for fun in SoCal (video is mostly Stunt Dr area) an adventure in hood popping and 5mph over speeding tickets.

Its cool that its an FB and its not slow anymore, but its a lovely troll by someone who doesn't know anything other than Internet meme trolls.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It's direct injected so the CR will be around 12:1 or more. They won't turbo it because it adds significant weight, makes for a difficult cooling situation in a mid-engined car, and is considered 'impure' in the class, as lambo, ferrari etc all have aspirated halo cars. Emissions will soon change all of this though.

Most of the time it's actually just easier to make the engine bigger or make small incremental improvements to management, combustion chamber design, cam profiles etc. Turbocharging it would demand a major re-design of the entire car.

Adding weight when it has a leather interior, huge amounts of sound deadening, probably 12+ speaker audio system, airbags, and tons of other things a few dozen pounds of turbo and charge cooling isn't why they didn't do it. Doubling the power output of an engine with forced induction only increases the peak pressure (the designed load) about 40%, so its more cam timing, cooling syste, and piston/exhaust valve materials to deal with that heat.

Isn't there a turbo version of the V10 anyway in some Audi wagon?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There was a LeBaron or some K-Car with a WRX swap on Jalopnik a while back, too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Looks vaguely like the AMC Eagle

Exactly what I saw, I actually think its a photoshopped picture of an Eagle.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

12 superchargers mounted to twin 12 cylinder detriot diesels. 1704 CI, and over 3400 horsepower. Built by Mike Harrah.

All that work and probably the worst belt routing job imaginable. Cog belts still need some pulley wrap! Hell, that right bank will have the belt orbit right off the supercharger pulley.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

300SL driver, not a show car.

Dat engine :aaaaa:

Not only does the engine sound amazing, but it was way ahead of it's time. It had a dry sump system and direct fuel injection.

Its not direct fuel injection, its indirect. Pretty much a predecessor to K-Jetronic, similar to indirect mechanical injection on diesels.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

All that work and crappy turbo destroying foam filters. :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

Is that a fiat engine?

It does look like a 2L Fiat twin-cam.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought it might be something with a direct injection fuel pump but then I figured that they wouldn't drive that with a belt and the fittings probably wouldn't be black or in that count.

I think aftermarket DI controllers are barely on shelves, I only know of the MoTec one and its not anywhere near feasible for anyone other than multi million dollar race programs. It certainly isn't MegaSquirt.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My uncle did the same thing with deposits from surfboard painting racks.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Linedance posted:

the goal is to cram as many craft IPAs into your car as you can, and the winner is the one with the most (if any) left at the end of the trip. They must then don the fedora of shame and drink them all alone. (Drivers obviously must be sober)

Contest restricted to VW Jettas and Golfs.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I put the helmet (radio/intercom) kit in that helmet!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bought a 63 VW Bug buggy, first thing bought is fuel injection!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The company owner's father brought out his Jaguar that he never drives.:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I gave up on getting a Familia GTR and decided on smashing together my 87 323 Wagon and 88 323 GTX.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, I was up past my bed-time, I couldn't remember which name the Australian market used and said the wrong one. The bumper looks like the GTX model, but there were some special editions that had it too. We didn't get any of those in the U.S..

The US GT and GTX had that grille, and there was a way to order an 'appearance package' on 323 hatchbacks that had the GTX dual spoiler and front grille.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

fyodor posted:

60s British roadster with a V8 gee I wonder how much they go for-

:eek:

What is scary is 15 years ago they were really reasonably priced, closer to the Mustang prices of the time. Now with Mustangs any 2V 302/C4 base model earlier than 72 is $20,000+, and even the pretty boring Alpine is getting expensive. Good luck with a Tiger, you might as well build a 1000hp Factory Five.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I've always wondered about his design workflow. I assume has has a render farm for CFD/Aero. Or is it more organic, with plywood mockup, track time, and then a CF fab shop?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Those look like cartoons! They liked the little things enough to throw a 4 speed onto that tiny engine, and I love the little blurb there about performance

Christ, the NSU Prinz I had was a loving Ferrari F40 compared to that thing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The benefit of living out in the country I suppose; room to play.

I more or less have a personal rock field and a personal rallycross course, though I can only get 25Mb internet even working for the ISP I am served by. It is a double edged sword.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Locally if you're willing to pay like $3K for it, Frontier will run a FIOS line out to your bumfuck farm/property. It's one of the expenses to take into account here if you want no neighbors.

That's pretty good, AT&T ran fiber to our new edge connection for free*

* Its $2400 a month for 500Mb symmetric with a free /23 and /29 and holy crap the pings never are over 5ms anywhere

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Any idea who you need to contact to make that happen? The wife and I are looking at property in SW Allen Co and I'd rather pay thousands of dollars to have a FIOS line ran than ever have to deal with Comcast again.

There are so many WISPs around, anymore, I don't know if you'd be stuck with a wired connection.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo that KE2x looks great with the mini-Bathurst Globes on it

Same thing as the Cromodora 31?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My parents bought a RHD 1969 Morris Minor from eBay UK and they hated driving it, I never had any problems. The turn signals being on the right side felt natural, and the shifter wasn't really any biggie after the first time going through the range. It got some pretty amazing looks, since I drove it on the freeway as much as I could.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

The G Body is God and you will bow to it.

I don't see one in that picture. I see some awful cars with the only saving grace of having the cream of the crop engines, and maybe some capability of turning without needing doorhandle replacement.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Dagen H posted:

PCOS Bill parachute spotted

He had actual bad opinions, that one is 99% right once you get past the rose-tinted glasses. There were some gems in the 80s, but domestic cars were rarely one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

tehk posted:

I have to be honest that a MoTec setup seems excessive for a NA bmw without ITBs or something that would require that type of control.

Reasons:
1. Cool dash
2. Sponsorship shilling
3. Cool dash

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd take ten points away for using parts that haven't ever been on a Cup car, like CV joints. :colbert:

Agreed, it's not like NASCAR takeoffs aren't all over eBay for 10% of their retail price.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

This is so optimistic for the internet in 2017.

90% misogyny, 10% all other.

Trump then, too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

iospace posted:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA-TORC-201179

Who wants an engine swapped 'Cuda making over 1k HP and 2k lb-ft of torque?

They could probably pick up some IAT if they didn't insulate the compressor outlet pipe, the outlet temperature is probably 200degC+ and even the hottest engine bay isn't much more than half that. I remember something where a shop picked up 10degC post-intercooler by removing the compressor outlet insulation on a customer's car

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

um excuse me posted:

I'm just thinking with all of that charge piping does it need an intercooler at all? It's more or less a rear mounted turbo in terms of performance.

The surface of an intercooler is probably a few dozen times the surface area of a poorly conducting steel pipe, so yes. Even STS, the paragon of rear-mount turbo kits, did some dumb poo poo regarding charge cooling like ceramic coating the compressor outlet pipes, so the heat stays in all the way to the throttle body!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Lmao that's a PC water cooling rad on top of the trans.

Not sure it was built to handle any vibration.

My assumption is that its a cooler that is either also used as a PC cooler, or is a standard size/frame. I really doubt someone is going to use Cooler Master oil coolers. Although, there's nothing to stop you as it likely runs a tiny diaphram pump and oil that is near water consistency at temperature.