Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

General_Failure posted:

I saw it's friend on eBay last night.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-Benz-190-SL-Cabriolet-/300817766198#ht_500wt_1415

Starting bid amount of only $135000

e: apostrophe? I don't know. The pictures in that listing have a few resto shots. Huge PITA for me to lift them, and I'm not sure of the implications. At least the extra views will make the owner / restorer feel better.

I'll never get the thinking behind 'I wanna sell this car on eBay. Let me post just a dozen small pics.'

You're asking $135K! You better have dozens and dozens of pics. Closeups of everything. Underside, under the hood, gauges, everything. When I sold my D90 on eBay I had about 50 pics and a video and still didn't think it was enough. I did get my asking price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

davebo posted:

Well, this may not be as awesome as that Camaro but since we don't have the cell phone pics thread anymore I thought this was pretty cool to see driving around Northern Virginia, where I can't imagine you'd have a terribly interesting safari.

Those tires are closer in width to my bicycle's than my car's.

A '93 Defender 110 NAS. 1 of 500 and worth $60-70K on average. Some really nice examples top six figures. I'd trade all my cars to have one.

Those tires are OEM size. There's an eternal argument over which is better, tall and skinny or fatter tires. Here's a whole paper about the advantages/disadvantages. http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Rarity.
With the now-legal importation of coilers due to them passing the 25 year age watershed, perhaps US prices will dip a bit, but I'd imagine a genuine NAS model will always be pricey.

I'm thinking the prices will stay high on the real NAS 110 models. I have noticed a softening of the prices on the NAS 90s. That's why I sold my NAS 90 a couple months ago. Get out while the prices were still good. If you're in the market for a 90 why spend $25-30K when you can import a 25 year truck for $10K and use the savings to upgrade it better than an NAS?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Motronic posted:

A base model 2013 D90 with a hard top lists under 20,000 pounds sterling in the UK. A double cab 130 is under 25k.

These are work vehicles, not Merc G wagons.

Not even available in the US. The newest 110s we have are now 20 years old and sell for more than that. I'd kill for a brand new 110 Double Cab. I got to sit in one in Rio 2 years ago and it's light years different inside than my old '94 was. If the local dealer got them in, especially with a diesel, I'd be down there with cash in hand the same day.

It's my belief that Land Rover in the US wants to be seen as only an upscale brand. If they brought over 'work trucks' they think it'd lessen their branding.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

jonathan posted:

With all that fab work and material why even have leaf springs ? Clearly the builder is skilled enough to do a triangualted 3 link or double triangulated 4 link.

My question exactly. Seems like a lot of work to do what could easily be accomplished by other means.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Found this at Cars and Coffee in Austin. I'd never seen one in person. It had a for sale sticker on it: $73K and it was yours.

I didn't realize it when I took the pic but just in the upper right of the pic is Holley from Barrett Auto here in Austin, starring on Texas Car Wars. You might know her as the lady that recently had cancer and shaved her head on the show. She was mostly bald under the cap. The show is kind of stupid but I can't stop watching it because it shows places in town I know.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/texas-car-wars/videos/head-shaving.htm

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

ultimateforce posted:

I could build that if only I had the tools. :(

Same here. Oh yeah, and if I had the skills. Or the money. Or the time. But other than that, sure, I could totally build one too. :)

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

EightBit posted:

Isn't this just an Ariel Atom?

It is. I've never seen one in Austin. The driving season for such a car is short here. November-March is about it. and then only if it isn't raining. Other than that it's too drat hot without A/C.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

EightBit posted:

Lol what? I drive all summer with the doors off of my TJ, and it has working A/C, in San Antonio. I would love to own an Atom, I'd be able to drive it nearly all year.

I did the same in a D-90. Do you have a roof/bikini top to at least keep sun off you? That's the only thing that made it bearable.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

You native Texans are such sissies about the heat. :v:

Not all of us. I've gone the last 3 summers in a car with no A/C. I also just bought another classic car with no A/C. It's a convertible so it'll not see a lot of time on the road in summer. It's fine if you're moving but sitting in traffic in the sun in 105degrees sucks balls.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MetaJew posted:

If this is the Atom that's owned by the exotic rental company in South Austin, I've driven it. It's got some 2-litre Honda engine with a supercharger and was by far the fastest thing I've ever driven.

It most likely was. It had the supercharged 4-banger. My son was disappointed it wasn't the V-8 Atom 500 but only an Atom 3. I'm turning my kid into a car snob. I'm so proud.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

If you're interested, that looks to be a Series 2, from between '58 and '61.

In the US it's probably a Series IIA. I had one for about 3 years. This one does have the rare PTO capstan winch up front which is kind of sweet. And great for hurting yourself badly on.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, are US details different? I was basing it on:
- 3x3 spoke wheel
- Body-colour instrument panel
- Proud headlights.

The capstan means I couldn't use the front dumbiron panel to gauge it.

You could be right. The '63 I had had all those details too though. 50 years on, these trucks are such a mishmash of parts you can't tell without looking at the build plate.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 3, 2012

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This passed me on the freeway yesterday. Kind of a WTF moment.

The :911: was unintentional.

I was thinking 40mm gun but this looks a bit too small.

It's not this one but look at those casings eject from the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PcsTfvueE

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I've sat in those seats. So very comfortable. Better than First Class on most airlines. I'll never get that chance again, I'm sure.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

My dad still has the speeding ticket he got in a Fiat 600 back in the day. It's framed and hangs proudly above his workbench.

I wish I'd thought to keep the ticket I got at 14 years old. Clocked/paced at 53MPH in 35 zone. On a bicycle.

It was a very long downhill section on a racing bike. At that age I'd think nothing of biking 70miles across the county to eat lunch with friends or go to the beach. 100+ mile days were common. I wish I was in the same shape now.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

e- the fastest was a toss up of either pegged in my dad's Jag XJS V12 (he was driving) at probably 160mph,

Hey there, XJ-12 speeding buddy.
The fastest I've personally driven was right at that 160-165 in our old XJ-12. About 130ish it started to float and get scary. I still had pedal left but ran out of road. Not the smartest thing to do at dusk on a Texas country lane barely 2 cars wide. A deer could have run out and I'd have nowhere to go.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

kastein posted:

nope, never served. I'm just an idiot who likes black holes I can throw my wallet into and big, loud, rusty trucks.

e: I believe I may have already posted this but this is the last time the truck actually moved on its own. AMERICA.JPG :911:

A neighbor around the corner from me has one, actually it might be a Deuce and a Half. He's constantly fighting with the HOA to be able to keep it in his driveway against the 'No commercial vehicles in driveways' rule. Since it's his personal truck and not a work truck they can't quite get him on it. But they sure do hassle him about it though. I offered at one HOA meeting for him to park it in my backyard as I've got a side gate it'd fit through. All I asked was that I got to drive it occasionally. :D

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Daveh posted:

They do have...a tracked Land Rover, however which are both pretty cool

I know it's from a couple of pages ago but that's called a Cuthbertson conversion. Here's a picture of another along with a Forest Rover. I'd love to get behind a wheel of the later. The Forest Rovers were commissioned by the RAF I believe and only a few were made. The original 'Big Foot'?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MikeyTsi posted:

Don't let them get you down dude; 22 is a perfect time to start your first marriage.

drat, I got married at barely 19. 23 years ago, so I guess I picked a good one. She still wears the .26 carat ring that was all I could afford at the time. That was a huge purchase for a guy still in high school. poo poo, I just realized my own son is less than 2 years away from being the same age I was when I proposed. drat, I'm old.
If I was buying a ring today I wouldn't be buying a diamond, that's for sure.

InitialDave posted:

I thought the Forest Rovers were commissioned by the Forestry Commission? No, really, that's not a pun, I thought that was the case.

You are right. I don't know what I was thinking. I still think they're pretty sweet for a 'factory' truck.

edit: How did I never realize that the rear track width was over a foot narrower than the front?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The H1 is okay, but you have to remember its original purpose wasn't so much its offroad capability, but to keep up with tanks and be able to fit in the treadmarks from the M1 Abrams and the M2 Bradley.

This is exactly why it's bad for a lot of trail riding though. It's wider than most standard offroad trails. I used to catch my wheel flares in the Defender on narrow trails. An H1 would have no chance going down tight forest roads.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Memento1979 posted:

It isn't car poo poo, but it's pretty AI. This engine makes its best fuel economy at 53,244 horse power at 90 rpm.

About 25,000liter or 1.5 million cubic inches. :eyepop: My 390 no longer looks too big.

Burns about 28 gallons per minute. At current fuel costs it's about $4K/hour to run or $300K for a typical 3 day ocean crossing. I'll stop whining about my old dual Mercruiser boat that used 10-15 gallons per hour.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I can't decide if awesome or not. I'll let you make the choice. Saw this on the drive to work this morning. I tried to get out my cellphone in time and missed the shot but remembered I had the GoPro recording. I grabbed a still from it.

(click to embiggen)

Yes, it's a Jeep JK Yellow Cab. Soft top even. Somehow I don't think that's the most efficient vehicle to be using for that purpose.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I thought you had a sword on your hood.

Doesn't everyone?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm not sure if its horrible or awesome.

Well see, son, when two ATVs love one another very much they will do strange things. Wonderful things.

...and that's how we get Big Wheels. Any questions?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Might not be an awesome car but it's an example of an awesome forum member. Cursedshitbox.

About three weeks ago I posted in the 'terrible' thread about my Range Rover Classic getting clipped by an apparent drunk driver. I followed that up with a post that super cool forum member, cursedshitbox, found a matching truck near him in Vegas that had the parts I needed. He was so kind as to pull them in the summer Vegas heat and ship them out.

On Friday I got home and found a huge box on the doorstep.

This morning I got to work on the truck. First, off comes the old bad panels. 7 bolts are all that hold on the quarter panel and corner of a Classic. Another 6 for the d-pillar skin.

This is a 23 year old truck. Look at the lack of rust under there. Oh yeah, the body is aluminum. I guess there will be little rust there.

Well, poo poo I guess more than the skin was involved.

A few minute with a 3lb sledge and a piece of spare steel rod I had and I straightened that out so the lights would fit. Dumbass me forgot to take a pic of that handy work.

Less than two hours later. Lookin' good.

Good enough gap for a RRC.

For those unfamiliar with the panel gap on old Range Rovers here's a pic of the factory panel gap on the front door to quarter panel. Look at the craftsmanship and attention to detail in that gap.

Next, she's off to the bodyshop to get all the dings taken care of/skimmed then a full body respray. Then I'll get the vinyl on the pillars redone at an upholstery shop. After that she's off to a buddy in San Antonio for a custom rear bumper/tire carrier. With the size of the payout from the other guys insurance company I'll still have some left over for that new stereo I need so badly. No more listening to the dulcet tones of offroad tire whine on the street. Turn that poo poo up!

Also, cursedshitbox, I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are an amazing human being.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Darko posted:

Here's a list of cars in the movie:

...long list clipped...

I love this list. Supercar, supercar, supercar, supercar, Bat Mobile, Toyota Tazz.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Duly noted.

People usually compare crossplane to flatplane by comparing the burble of a classic American V8 with the scream of a Ferrari V8. That's the direction I was going in.

Best place I saw an example of the difference was at the V8 Supercars races in Austin earlier this year. You _knew_ when the Mercedes were approaching your seats. The scream is ungodly compared to the 'tame' crossplaned cars.
I'm glad to see that Team Erebus is finally getting some bugs out and climbing in the standings with those cars. Their owner, Betty, is an awesome lady and really loves the sport and her guys.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Viking Blood posted:

18436572 fo'lyfe

Ingrained in my memory for life after I swapped 3 and 6 in my Defender after a head gasket job and got stuck on the side of a very busy highway.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

stump posted:

You've got to really love them to consider one as a daily driver. No reason you can't drive one as you would a car, but it certainly requires a certain amount of bloody mindedness. The newer crew cab styles 4x4s are better in every metric compared to a lanny, unless you are really pushing it off road. However they just don't have the charm.

I used to love driving the TD5 90 we had at work, even on long A road journeys but I was very much in the minority, and you weren't half fatigued after a few hundred miles behind the wheel. New engines are much better so YMMV but it's still a landrover! On the other hand, it's a landrover :getin:

I daily drove a 90 soft top for almost 10 years. Keep up on basic maintenance and it'll never let you down. Just do it. The 110s are even more comfortable for long distance but as they run in the upper five-figures in the US I'll never have one.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Yesterday I saw something sexy on my way to work:

260z, absolutely mint, exhaust sounded stock too.

If it had Texas plates I'd have guessed it was my neighbor's ride. He daily drives one that looks just like that. Sounds pretty nice. He lives a few doors up, I need to catch him outside and talk to him sometime.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Okay, I'll admit it - I got 10c/gal off with my Kroger card (I get 3c/gal off with it normally, unless I've spent at least $100 on groceries for the month). That's still a pre-discount price of $3.019, which is loving awesome. The gas stations around where I live range from $3.19-$3.59, while the stations around work range from $3.01-$3.89.

Old man rant: $3.02/gallon is not awesome. The oil companies were making money when gas was under $1.50 five years ago. There's no reason for it to still be over $3.

Maybe I should stop driving cars that get single digit fuel mileage.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Q_res posted:

The reason nobody remembers those low gas prices is because they were a 2-3 month aberration. An aberration with almost suspicious timing. And even then they never fell to $1.50/gallon.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA Average&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=96&units=us

It was close. I'll give you that I was off a few cents. I know it was an aberration but I do know that the oil companies weren't hurting at that price either.

I'll just enjoy my 6 mile commute and not complain too much I guess.

edit: It did get below $1.50 in Austin 5 years ago. I knew it. Also, look at that crude price. Someone was making bank in there somewhere after around 2005.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA Average&city2=Austin&city3=&crude=y&tme=132&units=us

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 20, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

I miss cheap hot bites at 7-11, too.

And having enough change in your ashtray for a 1/2 tank of gas in an emergency.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Proof that drifting was invented to impress chicks.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Pics like this just remind me that I went wrong somewhere in life.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MetaJew posted:

I did a thing today:

I drove some CTS-Vs (wagon and coupe) around Circuit of the Americas for free. Those cars are drat heavy, and the auto transmission sucks, but it was still a ton of fun. I hope CoTA gets cool and let's companies hold track days there for a reasonable price (See: motorcycle track days for $150, and not $2500) some day soon.

I was there Thursday. Had a blast. My instructor in the coupe was a female GT3 series driver. I was babying it a bit getting used to the car's feel on the first lap. Her words: "You don't have to pay for brakes or tires. Go harder!" So I did. I was hitting rumble strips and having the time of my life. Best I could get was about 140MPH on the back straight. She let me stay on power past the 'power off' cones. I've been to the track several times but this was my first driving it. Barreling down the front straight at triple digit speeds it's intimidating how that turn one hill just towers over you.
My sister had a blast in the ATS doing their little 'drag race'. She didn't notice me reach over and turn off the traction control for the launch. We killed the other 'competitor'. :)

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Man. Neither of my instructors let me stay on the power past those cones, but both complemented me while I was driving... I think I hit about 120. My instructor in the coupe races in Pro Mazda, and knew the track well. So all in all, it was a great time.

I really blew turn 11 on one run after getting a wave-by around a slow car. That poo poo sneaks up quick on you when you're blasting down that hill into it. I really think I'd have done a bit better on some corners if the cones weren't there to distract me.

Also, you can really carry a scary amount of speed through the S'es(turns 3-9). I think that was the most fun part of the track. That and nailing the triple apex 16-18 really put a smile on my face. The instructor complimented me on that one. That's the only place where I felt playing the track in a video game really helped. I knew exactly where to turn in and where to hold the line for maximum speed through there. Set the wheel on entry and never waver all the way through.

If they ever pull their heads out and lower track day costs into the sub-stratosphere I'll have a blast throwing our Golf R around it.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MetaJew posted:

What game has CoTA? I was looking for one on Wednesday to practice. :3:

The F1 2012 demo has it. Hooked up my force feedback wheel and went to town to practice. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

angryhampster posted:

I thought I was the only person who enjoyed Death Proof.

Makes me kinda want a Nova...

Little late on the Death Proof love.

One scene that was cut from the theatrical release but re-added to the DVD release was filmed outside a rundown convenience store just a few blocks from my house. We were driving by and I noticed a bunch of beautiful yellow Mach 1s and flat black Novas with the 'Rubber Duck' on the hood parked out front but didn't know why as the film crew wasn't around yet. We came back by in time to see the burnout Russell's character does when he takes off. Those marks stayed on 620 for a couple years.

I was so disappointed when we went to the theater and that burnout was nowhere to be seen.