Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Third gen Celica liftback. IMO the high point of Celica design.

VVVVV Ahh yeah, that's even more correct. But the Mk II Supra was still a "Celica Supra" back in the day.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Looks like a W108 to me. Don't know what particular trim.

Normally I would hate anything with those wheels, but that old Benz somehow really pulls it off.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

assfucker420 posted:

I dislike all red tail-lights, amber indicators look a lot better.

Agreed. Also, lack of amber indicators makes turn signals way less visually obvious and it's damned annoying. I hate indicators built into the tail lights.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Looks like some sort of golf cart conversion.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You Am I posted:

Huh? I did a search around the net and couldn't find any news about Lancia being shut down

Search harder.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/11/marchionne-kills-lancia/
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/02/marchionne-plans-kill-off-lancia/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A lot of BMWs have 1:1 4th/5th gears (seriously, a lot of them) and also will have synchronized needles on the speedo and tach in that gear. My E46 certainly does it, it's kind of neat.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 12, 2012

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In the near 10 years I've owned cars (all used) I think I've replaced one headlight bulb and one indicator bulb.

To contribute, here's a clean E39:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

IIRC Roth's idea was that the three colored lights would combine to make one bright white light? Of course light doesn't work like that so it just looks (even more) goofy.

How do you think RGB displays and projectors work?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That looks like a render, not a photo. That, or it's been post-processed to all hell.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I've always wanted something like this. Essentially the car equivalent of a super motard; something handy on the road that can also hold it's own on a gravel or dirt track. Like one of the early WRX's but better and more off-road capable.

Me too. Basically my ideal car would be a WRX with a bit more refinement and an interior that doesn't feel like a 1995 economy car. Or from a different perspective, something like an Audi allroad that isn't entirely bankrupting on maintenance/reliability and with more of a driver focus/more guts.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Usually the truly wealthy people are the ones who don't feel the need to flaunt it in their daily activities - like going to the gym.

He has good taste in supercars.

Speaking of good taste in cars, here's a hot M3:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just frameless windows. Most coupes and all convertibles have frameless windows, and Subaru for some reason also does it on pretty much all their cars (or used to).

One of my favorite cars and favorite cities:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You're crazy, the Alfa is definitely the better looking of the two.

Of course I wouldn't kick either out of bed for eating crackers.

New BMW M4:

I like the subtle M color stripe on the roof. All around I like it, hope it drives as good as it looks.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

InitialDave posted:

This is awesome:

I had one of these as a kid, looks like they haven't changed in decades. Can confirm they are awesome, along with hundreds of Hotwheels/Matchbox/etc cars

Didn't every AI kid have one?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

That's not a rug. That's carpet in the same pattern. Like, you could do the entire floor of a room in that pattern.

Ohhhhhh drat, now I get it. gently caress that's awesome.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I really hope that the trend from SUVs to CUVs to oversized hatchbacks continues toward its logical conclusion that is the return of the station wagon and shooting brake.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nice clean NSX shows up at the office from time to time.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

K20/24?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Best grandma.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A lot of the crampedness of modern engine bays isn't so much that there is more poo poo under the hood (although that is true), but that cars and their engine bays are a lot smaller than they used to be. You could put a modern drivetrain into an old 50s-era landbarge and still be able to swim around in the engine bay.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If I ever own a Ferrari it will be anything but red.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If a Morgan is classified as a motorcycle/trike, does it require a 3-wheel motorcycle endorsement to drive? At least in Washington, trikes require a separate endorsement from 2-wheel motorcycles - and both 2-wheel and 3-wheel endorsements are in addition to your regular old driver's license.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you buy a Lamborghini and it isn't the most garish, obnoxious thing on the road within 100 miles you did it wrong.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone who complains that the golden era of sports cars is long dead is so wrong. We are living in an automative renaissance.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

V8 from a 1966 Toronado in the back of a Civic hatchback. :black101:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cool old Subaru Sambars

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It was a bad example, but his point is that there are no small trucks on the market anymore. Even today's "small" trucks are ginormous compared to 90s era small trucks. And yeah of course all vehicles have bloated in size compared to their 90s-era counterparts, but trucks way way more than anything else.

These size trucks are awesome for urban homeowners and DIYers that don't need to tow 10,000 lbs, and live in places where an F-150 is an obnoxiously huge vehicle to drive/park. The only real "small" truck left is the Tacoma which hasn't been updated in 10 years. Even the new Canyon is pretty huge compared to a D21 or old Tacoma/Ranger.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I am a firm believer that there is no greater joy in life than to thrash around family cars in ways they were never meant to be used.

Right there with ya.

For the record, RallyX is one of the most fun things ever and if you haven't done it you should do it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Pretty reasonable actually.

Your insurance is expensive (yes this is in Hellcat trim).

(full comp, collision, uninsured, liability, and towing with 250k/500k limits)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

wesley snypes posted:

I've finally got something I can put in this thread: a brand new racetrack is under construction just a couple hours' drive south of me.

:woop:

Wait this is near Seattle? Details?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Further proof that Gulf livery is the best livery.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Best yellow Porsche - RUF Yellowbird

Specifications
Weight: 1,170 kilograms (2,579 lb)
Power: 469 hp (350 kW) @ 5950 rpm
Torque: 408 lb·ft (553 N·m) @ 5100 rpm
Specific output: approx. 137 hp (102 kW) per litre
Power-to-weight ratio: approx. 5.4 pounds (2.4 kg) per horsepower
0-60 mph: 3.7 sec
0-125 mph: 11.6 sec
Quarter mile: 11.9 @ 126.3 mph (203.3 km/h)
Top Speed 211 mph (340 km/h)

Just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ

Most of you have probably seen it, but you should watch it again. And if you haven't seen it, you have to watch it right now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Best "straight six" ever.

And that's saying a lot.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hnnnggg, drat I miss my 95M.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

Pretty sweet aerial footage of a rallycross car filmed via quadcopter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbWXZC53MA0

RallyCross is the most fun you can have on 4 wheels on a budget. Fuckin' love it.

If ya'll haven't done it, I highly highly recommend checking it out.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

RallyCross is also a great way to have fun in a slow car if you don't take yourself too seriously.

How else could you get so sideways and have so much fun in a Volvo 740?

(I'm in the passenger seat for this one, not me nailing those cones!)

Guinness fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 18, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

High end equipment can make a good photo great, but it can't make a bad photo good. A good photo is still at least 90% composition whether you're shooting with an iPhone or a 1D with a $5k lens.

Speaking of amateur photography and stuff that is AI car poo poo:

This is a completely stock looking Volvo S70 AWD with a 6-speed manual swap and a ridiculous amount of engine+turbo work to dyno just shy of 400hp.

That was a fun ride along.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 23, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Slap the motor from an R1 or, maybe an FJR1300, in that Yamacar and I'd drive the gently caress out of it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Came across quite a collection that someone's got of 190E 2.3-16s:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's like half of them in the state.