Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

http://www.obviouswinner.com/obvwin/2012/8/22/this-metal-dinosaur-triceratops-tractor-looks-drivable-and-a.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I don't know if the Hot Wheels talk is played out, or whether somebody's going to make that thread, but I thought this is pretty AI. Picked it up today.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Second pic of the FZ93 makes it look a lot like an early-90s version of the Enzo.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Chris Meeke took a Bentley out to play.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

BlackMK4 posted:

Little -too- sideways :v: Seriously though, the S2000 is probably one of the more unforgiving cars I've driven once you find yourself a little too far. Kinda like the Z4M. :lol: I think that's the only car I've ever 'tankslappered' hard in.

I agree with everything in this post.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Post your AIest baby strollers

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Linedance posted:

Nothing styled by Bertone has ever been bad. NOTHING.

Mantide.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not.

Even when upscaling they still chose the most retarded, hard-to-find narrow section tyres they could find. Oh smart :allears:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Black88GTA posted:

Well, that mystery seems to be solved, thanks for clearing that up. The world needs more Logan's Run cars in it, although I don't think I'd want to be around if anything bigger than a Focus ran into it. :ohdear: Still pretty awesome IMO.

Finding this kind of stuff is cool. But who rents a plastic hammer?

Somebody who has to hammer plastic? :haw:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
You know how people always say that the S2000 engine bay has lots of room.
Well... http://www.autoblog.nl/image-gallery?file=Honda%2F0_Divers%2FHonda_S2000_Dodge-Viper_Engine_Swap%2F

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
You suck at operating a forklift. This guy doesn't. Assuming it isn't fake, et cetera and so on.

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=34305

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GramCracker posted:

To me this story is VERY awesome and pretty AI.

On sunday my friend and I were discussing car compliments from random people and got onto the subject of how neat it would be to get a compliment from a police officer...a day later I got my first COPliment.

My car for reference:

So I pull up to a gas pump at my favorite local watering hole, hop out and start doing all the credit card bullshit with the gas pump. I'm about to pick my octane when I notice a police cruiser pull up in front of my car. I glance over and the cop had rolled down his window and goes, "Nice Imola." I was soo shocked, my face went from this: to this: and I immediately blurt out, "You know what this is?! That's awesome!"

So we end up bullshitting for a solid 10 minutes about my car and his (turns out he has a silver B5 S4), what coilovers I'm running because he's thinking of getting a set for his car, and what exhaust I have, if its tuned, that he knows Rich from European Performance Labs and so on and so forth. Turns out to be a really cool guy and he also owns an E90 M3. So he leaves because he got a call from dispatch, which means I can actually pump my gas now.

I fill the car up and and screwing the gas cap back on and when I look up to walk around to the drivers side of the car, the cop has come back and is just sitting there next to me. I was a bit shocked so I go, "Hey man, whats up?" He leans over and goes, "Listen I didn't want to leave but I had to respond to a call. I really wanted to follow you out of here and listen to the ASP exhaust!" My face has to look this dumb: I literally could not believe what I heard. So he says that he hasn't heard an ASP exhaust and that he wanted to follow me down the road for a minute to hear it. So we pull out of the gas station and I rip through 1st gear.

Now, I couldn't see in the cop car so I can't 100% confirm this part, but I'm pretty sure this is an accurate reenactment of what went on in his cop cruiser when I wrung out 1st: So the cop pulls up next to me, give me a thumbs up and a honk and took off.

Consider my mind blown in the most awesome way possible.

Bonus photo of cop's M3

That is an awesome story.

I had an Audi R8 Spyder on test for a bit, about two years ago. I was driving on the highway and needed to get some petrol. Took an offramp, turned left, and there's a roadblock. Now, for reference, I live in South Africa. The police here usually pull over young guys in fast cars because they're looking to find something wrong so they can fish for a bribe. They check my license, run the car's plates, and it checks out. Then a bunch of them start checking out the car and chatting to me about it, how fast it is, all of that stuff. They're just some guys interested in a cool car, too.

Before they let me go the one cop tells asks, "Hey, don't you wanna burn it up down this stretch?" as he aims at a crowded one-way road with about 3 lanes.
I reply, "With all this traffic?"
He stops to think, calls the other cops on the scene - about 7 in total - and mouths off in Xhosa. Seven cops abandon their posts (writing fines up for other drivers behind me), and jump into the road. They stop traffic across all three lanes, and the guy who's standing next to me says, "Ok, make some noise. Do about 130 (km/h) until that traffic light over there".

I obliged.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Mercedes Benz G6x6x63 AMG.

3.75 tons (7500lbs).
62mph in less than 6 seconds.

And it flies :buddy:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Just an Audi vide-OHMYGOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpB1yR9Sz9Y

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

angryhampster posted:

That is a seriously special car. There's not a lot of cars that really grip me just based on their exterior design, but the P1 and 620s are just great.

650S, surely.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah but don't those things run dry after you pump the brake a few times?

What? How do you drive that you pump the brakes after coming a complete stop at a traffic light?

I've driven a number of cars with auto start-stop systems and they all work like this:
In an auto/DSG car I keep my foot on the brake when I stop. The engine switches off. The moment I let go of the brake the engine fires up and I drive off.
In a manual car I come to a stop with the brakes. I clutch in, select neutral, clutch out, and the engine switches off. I pull up the park brake. The moment I clutch in again, the engine starts up. I select first and drive off.

On autos they are near flawless. If you're in stop-go traffic that stops and then creeps, you might find that the car switches off less often to account for the fact that you're not coming to a stationary-for-10-seconds-or-longer stop, as per traffic lights.
In manual cars it depends on the manufacturer's implementation. Cars with direct injection can have the combustion cycle stopped at exactly the point where firing up (upon clutch depression) is instant. I've driven a few (Fiat/Alfa, VW/Audi) manual cars that see the system freaking out when you clutch out and stall, which requires you to select neutral and pump the clutch once to restart the motor.

The starter motors are also beefed up significantly to deal with constant operation. The systems are also designed to not operate in extreme cold or heat when you need ancillary systems for climate control, or when the engine is not yet up to operating temperature.

Somebody a few posts up said it best, "Why pay money to go nowhere?".

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Properly-used Porsche GT3 brake discs.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

ehnus posted:

The new Sport Chrono package

Not that great, I've heard.

Take years to come to a stop.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Remember this BMW April Fools' joke? http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-full-scoop-on-bmws-april-fools-m3-pickup/

Yeah. Well. Joke's on them. I saw this at Kyalami today.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Party Alarm posted:

I think you need to change your username to Them Folk.

Bit late to the party, but this is fantastic. :golfclap:

Das Volk posted:

I've gone full Mopar.

And so is this :q:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Am I in the right thread?

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/centurion/2jz+gte-supra-twin-turbo-+-lada-niva/1001552758860910003007409

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
"When I grow up I want to be a fuel injector" - the guy with the black gloves.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

El Scotch posted:

quality suspension

What use is only ONE self-levelling cupholder? :rolleyes:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Falken posted:

On the subject of unnecessarily costly upgrades, if you go to the Range Rover website and build your own Range Rover, there are two engine options. The two petrol ones are V8s, one being a naturally aspirated one, and the other being the same engine, but supercharged with +40hp.

This upgrade bumps the price up £40,000 or so, somehow.

Rather than making a big stupid lump of a vehicle faster, why not take that 40k and buy a... fast car?

Both are supercharged. The 510hp motor is available in Range Rover and Range Rover Autobiography.

The 550hp motor is available in the Range Rover SVAutobiography LWB (and SVA Dynamic) which are bespoke cars prepped by Special Vehicle Operations and including a bunch of extra kit. Hence the price.

Hope this helps :shobon:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bape Culture posted:

Turns out my pal with the XJ220 also has a delivery miles XJR-15. Only delivery miles car in the world we think.
Will try and get over and do some pics and bits next summer!

When it's done please set up a studio shoot and sell the photos to the PR team at JLR. Earlier this year we found out that it's impossible to find high quality photos of the 15.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man I wonder what those tires looked like.

Wonder no more.

They were special solid rubber tyres.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

KingPave posted:

Because I got bored, I went hunting and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeF-bZK684

Full video of the race, goddamn he drives that car well.

Next time we see somebody with a stupid aftermarket wing on their [street driven] FWD car we link them this video and explain that unless they drive like this guy they should hide their shame.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Friends, gather 'round. Let me tell you a bit about the Opel (or Vauxhall if you're in the UK) Corsa. Specifically, the 2000 - 2006 Corsa B.

Here's a boring base-spec model. Steel rims and all. These were available with a bunch of engine options, depending on market.

From a 1-litre 3-pot with 55hp, to a 1.8-litre 4-pot with 110hp. If you got a "big" engine it probably also had hubcaps or nicer wheels. Like this one.

Aimed at younger types, the car was inevitably modified to look a bit spicier...

... or – more likely – ricier.

Pretty standard fare for a budget Euro supermini. Except in the wild, faraway land of South Africa. Where some crazy redneck made this.

Nothing new in the bumper and exhaust area...

Or the gaudy "race orange" interior...

Except uh -- what the gently caress?!

Yeah. A mid-mounted Lexus UZ-series V8

(from this ad: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/witbank/opel-corsa-hatchback-v8/1001930089370911140942709)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bape Culture posted:

It's because of cost and availability over here yeah.
My crate LS setup was getting on for £10k and used stuff you know nothing about is still about half that.
Rover V8s from scrappies go for a song.
It's a shame cause if I could get LS gear here for pennies I'd chuck one in the back of my R27.

Anyway. Summer feeling good so far. Doing North Coast 500 in a couple of weeks. Cannot wait!

Yay

That's a familiar photo ;)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

i came

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Maybe not awesome car poo poo in the traditional sense, but definitely awesome car engineering, awesome airtime and a metric gently caress ton of luck.

Here are photos from the scene of an accident that took place near my offices, yesterday. (lovely quality, stolen from Twitter).

The driver survived.

Bonus accident scene walkaround for more carnage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGIoEf70Io

Here is a bad video of the actual accident.
No, I also don't know why the moron who uploaded it shot video of a video on a computer monitor, instead of uploading the actual video.

https://www.facebook.com/someshitaboutcars/videos/151633555424168/

I'm very familiar with the road where this happened.. The direction she came from is smooth and fast, but has quite a big kink in it – even if it is three lanes wide at that point. It's also likely that tow-truck driver had left some oil or brake fluid on that section of road (they're known to do this).

Regardless, she came through there with way too much speed, way too little experience and also probably drunk: it happened in the early hours of Sunday morning and she refused to be taken to hospital (she was completely unhurt; so her drunken ragdolling likely saved her life).

Anyway, she piled through that fast bend, washed wide (lol quattro understeer) and then crossed over to the other side of the road, hit the sidewalk, sand embankment, went airborne and landed at the dealer gates.

1 is where the intersection is, and where we briefly see her headlights in the video, before the accident.

2 is where she hit the opposite side of the road.

3. Is where she landed up. This point is 120m (130 yards) from where she first hit, and 210m (230 yards) from the intersection.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Powershift posted:

yyyyyyyyup

my friend and I had a discussion the other day, where we posited that almost any car looks THE BUSINESS™ with some rally tyres on steelies and kc daylighters

this image proves my theory

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's goddamned ridiculous.

I dunno, I think that's a superb ringtone to have.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Thief posted:

this is the most interesting thing Jaguar has done since their hood ornament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yatAJVA_4E&t=24s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64JhPtpicA&t=22s

I hung out with Terry Grant last week, for work. He's a pretty cool guy and super humble. Took some journalist around a gymkhana course in an F-TYPE, passing through gates sideways like nbd
welp that's my jaguar story

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

iospace posted:

Not an LS :colbert:

On the contrary, I think you will find that it is actually a Ludicrous Swap.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

iospace posted:

:golfclap:

I am curious, mostly I want to know how many BMW purists are crying right now.

Haha, one the biggest BMW fans I know worked at HQ and now runs a dealership, but loves Porsche. I sent him this and he is conflicted.

Thief posted:

how many car nerds roll up during red lights and get annoyed at those badges until the light turns green

Yeah I feel that the Porsche badges are just tacky on this. Leave it a BMW and just keep it as a sleeper.

Related content: https://instagram.com/p/Bbo2_u1jGEZ/

Viper V10 in a Z4.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Shoehorning a boxer motor into a Porsche 944 engine bay that currently houses an line four seems futile.

Rather get an S2000 mill and talk about having 240 Horschepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's pretty loving ghastly. Purple steelies with fake tri-spoke knock-offs, stupid miniaturized not-Rolls-Royce headlights, random French Yellow running lights, and xzibit "yo, we heard you like aero" buttresses. The body line from the rear of the front wheel arch to the flank looks like it's either going to break in half, or that the car is a Go-Bot transformer. The front grille has an upturned frown that doesn't follow any other line on the car. It should have been horizontal, or something, and the car looks like it's the Thing, but frowning.

Yes, we know that 22-year-old, very 90s concept cars age badly.

It was revolutionary at the time, even if you don’t consider the small team and short turnaround time. Every other car at the time was a mess of awful blobs and curves. This was space-age in comparison.