Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The general increasing love of athletics is benefiting our young men, and making their lives better and more worth the living.

Collateral Damage posted:

Yuuup. We all wish turbines had a use case because they're , but unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do with one in a road vehicle operating within normal speed limits that you can't do better with a regular ICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZbef8eYO8

Ah, the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The general increasing love of athletics is benefiting our young men, and making their lives better and more worth the living.

iospace posted:

The way of shipping the cars is awesome.

The cars themselves are not (Chevy Vega )

Hey, those aluminum block engines were good for at least 30,000 miles

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

There was a Vega out in Vegas thar was on sale and extremely clean last year. I didn't get it because my wife said no because she hates fun and doesn't understand I'm having fun when I'm thrashing around under the hood of my cars.

Should have bought so you could post about it in the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread and we could all laugh at you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

Isn't there a photo floating around of 25+ years of civics all lined up showing how fat they get?

That seems to be a fairly normal trend. Car company comes out with a new small car. In successive generations the car gets more features, gets larger, heavier, and more expensive. A few years later car company comes out with a new small car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

For all your miniature paper automotive needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDR40Eyuu7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5aBs_ih9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf3jnP6AbM0

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's always top-down weather.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You can trust your car to the man who wears the star

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The bits he missed around where the lights mount is driving me insane.

I think it's deliberate. It's the appearance of a soldered pipe, appropriate for a copper car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

That '59 land barge.

'59 Dodges had a great front end.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eighty-four merc posted:

Why is it better for your back to be there instead, though?

I mean there isn't much leg room in the rear facing 3rd row seats of my ~e klasse wagon~ but if you flipped them around and had them front facing your head would be pretty much against the liftgate.

My only point is there's nothing intuitive (to me) that suggests facing forward is safer than facing backwards, when everything else is equal.

Statistically, rear end collisions have the fewest fatalities due to the generally lower speed differential. Front is most, side second, and rear distant third.

Obviously for a front collision, a rear-facing seat would be very safe, as your body mass is spread over the whole seat back and the g-forces are far lower than being pushed against a narrow seat belt when facing forward. The one case where a rear-facing seat would be more dangerous would be a high-speed rear end collision, which is quite rare. Even in that case, the passengers may lose their lower legs but would probably survive.

So the risks with rear-facing third seats are somewhat different than with other arrangements, but their overall safety is probably a bit better.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kastein posted:

Some guy put this on the sloppy mechanics group. Nitrous tractor pulling wagon... with woodsides and a loving cargo carrier.

Found the video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndBeZIXAbU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Coredump posted:

Not saying you're wrong but can you elaborate on how the chicken tax would prevent Big Three from trying to make small trucks again? I feel like that's due more to EPA regulations and such but I dunno.

Probably because the market isn't big enough for the Big Three to fool with (or at least they think it isn't big enough), but a small-volume importer could do very well with it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHaPVP-opw

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Remove oil cap. Replace all components under oil cap. Oil cap installation is reverse of removal.

And don't even ask how much it costs if you ever have to replace the oil cap.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's just another Ewe-haul rental.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's pretty clever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's not a rally course, it's a bobsled track.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car curling. In Russia, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Cm25VcG2g

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

With aluminum/aluminiun, it was changed to fit in with other -ium names.

"Willis", "Jag-yoo-arr", "Niss-an", "Porsh".

Titchey Japanese cars are "Kay" class, not "Key" class.

However, I can't pronounce Baccaruda.

Porsche went to far as to make a video of how to pronounce their name properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2eYuGdmfY

10 car names Brits (most Americans, too) pronounce wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHnUA96wGcA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Is that a muzzle flash in number 3!?

I thought it was just sunlight reflecting off the side mirror as the car rotated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Due to their uninform size, ease of acquisition, appealing color, and near zero value, pennies are amazing for basically everything that you can think of. Except, of course, in exchange for goods and services

And speaking of Mad Max, here's some Australian men bringing the corpse of a car to life https://youtu.be/feIFOpnCPSs

E: is that pounds as in the imperial unit of weight, or pounds as in the GBP. I don't remember the Dollar being so weak, but almost $200 in pennies feels like it should be more than 100lbs

A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 20,000 pennies weighs 50000 g or 50 kg. That's about 110 pounds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

"Uploader for imgur" is an app on the Google Play store that allows you to upload like crazy with no login or anything.

Or you can install the SALR extension and have Imgur uploads available via a button.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drgitlin posted:

So, last week as well as getting to drive a Metro 6R4, I got to try a whole bunch of microcars. Some of them were indeed terrible but it's still awesome AI car poo poo: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/0...e-motor-museum/

Great article. I love those tiny cars. It's too bad they're not at all safe on the road and can't be built anymore.

I'd dd an Isetta if it were possible.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Former Willow Run line worker surprised with dream car, a Chevy Corvair
By Hunter Dyke | hdyke@mlive.com
on May 26, 2017 at 6:00 PM, updated May 26, 2017 at 6:10 PM

quote:

Merle Shingler always dreamed of owning a Chevrolet Corvair.

When he showed up at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum on Friday, May 26, he was under the impression that he was there to show a small group of people something inside of the museum.

Little did Shingler know, his lifelong dream would soon become a reality.

During his 26 years working at the Willow Run Assembly Plant, his favorite car to work on was the Corvair, and he hoped to eventually save enough money to enjoy the car on which he once sealed body joints as part of the assembly line.

But, occupied by the responsibilities of raising a family, the dream started to fade.

"That took all of my money," Shingler said. "I didn't have any extra to even go out and think about buying (a Corvair)."

Once retired, Shingler resolved to save up enough money to fulfill the promise he once made to himself.

He joined the Detroit Area Corvair Club once he had enough money for one, but a two-month hospital stay halted those imaginings.

"I thought if I ever got enough money up, I'd go ahead and get one," he said.

"When I did get the money up, something happened. Last year, I was in the hospital for two months. That took everything I had."

Eva McGuire of the Corvair Preservation Foundation met Shingler while conducting interviews of former Corvair builders.

When she assembled a Corvair convoy for a visit to the Willow Run Assembly Plant to commemorate the 48th anniversary of the final car, she loaned Shingler one of her own, since he'd never driven one.

"We took him to the plant, and after that, I posted the pictures of him in the car on Facebook," McGuire said, hoping to find someone to donate a Corvair for Merle.

An anonymous donor messaged McGuire after seeing Shingler's story and agreed to donate a 1964 Corvair.

When John Tucker of the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum pulled up to Shingler in his gifted Corvair, he was speechless.

It wasn't long before Shingler began to planning road trips in his "new" Corvair.

Shingler said he's looking forward to finally being able to participate in cruises with the local Corvair club after a couple of tune-ups.

When asked what his message is to the Corvair club and the donor, Shingler exclaimed: "I love you all!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not sure just where this belongs, but it's mostly awesome so I'll put it here.

MotorTrend tests a Miata RF vs. a Toyota 86 on a road course. The best bit is the last five minutes where they compare them both to a Hellcat on the same course. It does not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSq5Zb5ZNWY

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

While we're on the subject of old hardware:

The Beast of Turin was a 1911 FIAT S76, with a 28-liter inline 4 (yes, that's 7 liters per cylinder). It developed about 300 horsepower and set a land speed record of 135 mph. Also, only two-wheel braking, operated by hand.

It's been restored and took part in a vintage track day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnuevzsKTdc

"It's like wrestling a big, hairy gorilla."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

that FCA deemed this necessary.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I saw my first Fiat 124 Spider out in the wild yesterday. I'm impressed by how much cheaper it looks than a bog standard MX-5... There's too much crappy cheap plastic on the thing to the point where it looks like a Chinese market copy of what it should look like.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

One of the docs at the one hospital I go to has one and I feel the same. The wheels look cheap as well. I wonder if the Abarth is as downmarket looking in person? All in all I think I would still prefer the MX5. RF specifically.

InitialDave posted:

Quality aside, it is an ungainly looking lump, isn't it?

Look at these philistines, bragging about their lack of taste and refinement.

smdh.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Have you had a look at one in the metal (and plastic)? They really are a little... off.

I own one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

You actually like how they look?

Perhaps someday you'll graduate from finger-painting and eating paste.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

People put out actual reasons they don't like something you like, so you resort to personal insults. That'll show them who's got better taste!

It's all in good fun. Chill.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Hey look all the breaking down by the side of the road is just character building ok.

A classic memory is my wife's uncle wheeling into our wedding in his shiny new '76 Jaguar XJS - which then had to be towed out of the church parking lot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's a proper supercar. I like it.

Unfortunately, I was curious about the price. That means I can't afford it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

VW Polo WRC, or at least I think it is. Modern (or pre-2017) era anyway. An unusually clear view of what' going on there in that you can see the pivot points too.

I've rehosted your image so everyone can see it:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dee eight posted:

Jazz age land speed record documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4FcigOOILU

It's got some very cool footage of great metallic balls in history.

I enjoyed that a lot. Thanks for posting it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmBg4yQzdyA

More: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/cl...royce-phantom-v

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Guinness posted:

I hope they really did figure it out, but not sure I want to go buy the first model year of it.

Failed apex seals will undoubtedly be involved somehow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evilcat posted:

I am taking a shot on this one as being so terrible it goes back around to good.
A pinto on a jeep with chevy power and a ratchet shifter. It's the worst thing I have ever seen and everyone I showed wanted to own it. So hopefully this makes it into awesome insanity.

I'm the overspayed yellow paint on the tire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgpLKJby6XM

ETA: A couple shots of the finished product:

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

«3 »