Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ignore this, I was thinking about the new Nissan R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

But none of them are put together quite as well as the R8, and I don't think any of them nail a sporty yet relatively comfortable suspension setup quite like it does.

I was a passenger in a V10 R8 doing 225km/h down an inner-city road with a normal speed limit of 60km/h and in need of some thorough repair work (don't worry, the road was closed off). It wasn't even remotely jarring or twitchy. It was completely composed and planted. Though having Tom Kristensen in the driver's seat did help a bit ;)

It is a goddamn rocket ship with four wheel drive and impeccable build quality, and capable of long-distance touring in comfort. I still wouldn't own one, but only because I have an irrational dislike for all VAG products.

Your dislike for VAG products is probably quite rational. Although if you can afford an R8, you can surely afford the repairs to it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

I went car shopping with a buddy today and this was on the first lot we stopped at.

1963 Corvair Monza in amazing shape. We crawled all over looking for major rust and found none. Sadly I could not get my friend to buy it.

Where did you find this? I would love to get my hands on an early vair.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The seats look like hemoroid donuts.
Is the spare tire a solid rubber tire or an uninflated donut?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My parents used to have a 66 Deluxe, and I drove it on a couple occasions, and to be honest, it was scary. When you could literally hang out the front window and knock on the rear window of other vehicles that says something about your safety(or lack thereof).

That being said, that commercial illustrates why I sleep until around midnight then drive the first leg of my trips at night while I'm fresh and make sure the sun is still up when I do start to get tired.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

joat mon posted:

102 year old driver, 82 year old car.
http://www.wimp.com/womancar/

She and her car made it to Pebble Beach this year, too.

Is she tiny or is that car just that loving huge?
And drat, that woman is in better shape than most people in their loving 50s.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

1993 1.6l Mondeo: 2,678lb curb weight roughly
2013 base Mondeo: 3,322lb

So roughly 25% heavier, yet the base Mondeo still has double the power of the '93. Cars are stupidly over powered these days, with most of that power being used to propel gigantic SUVs to ridiculous speeds while the driver reads tweets on their phone.

A lot of the weight comes from all the air bags and bullshit meant to keep these idiots alive when they plow into a minivan full of orphans while reading their tweets.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I spent a week with a manual Cruze 1.4 turbo recently and it was quite fun, although there seemed to be more lag than my Saaburu. Driving in town I still only averaged ~19 mpg.

Remember that guy who paid something like 40k for a lovely Nissan or whatever it was. There's a guy here at work paying 8% on an 84month loan for his Cruze.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

If I flog the poo poo out of my Altima with the a/c on it'll dip to about 17 mpg. And that's winding it out to redline in every gear, WOT or foot off the gas.

It has a 2.4 instead of a 1.4, with slightly more hp/torque (150 hp/154 tq), only 5 gears, and isn't much lighter than a Cruze. Don't forget the 80s engine design, and it's closer to 200k than 100k.

Which is why I'm a bit shocked at 19 mpg from a 1.4. Laggy turbo or not.

My 1.8t with APR tune and manual never even got that low around town. I assume he was just redlining it from light to light.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I remember this being explained a long long time ago, but remind me why the front tires have negative camber on those old rear end race cars?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

It makes me sad to know that I can go and buy a turbo'd corvair for less than a turbo'd engine for my bug would cost :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Who gives a poo poo? Also that guy is a piece of trash, hope this helps.

My brain cant parse this image. Is that actually 4 GINORMOUS engines in a tiny car? How exactly does this work.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Fermunky posted:

Not sure what show was around. This was on I-275 Northbound just before downtown Tampa. Some cool old VWs and some others

It's drat near criminal that these things are going for over 100,000 dollars. Yes, that is a 1 with 5 zeroes. They're worth as much as a 356.

I will never be able to own a 23 window :(

poo poo, it's also a barndoor. :aaaaa:

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 13, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Brings a whole new meaning to "fart can".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

Lol what? I drive all summer with the doors off of my TJ, and it has working A/C, in San Antonio. I would love to own an Atom, I'd be able to drive it nearly all year.

Before I got the gently caress out of Texas, my first car was a 68 bug, no A/C for 2 years. I grew up in Houston. Most of the cars my parents owned were VWs with no A/C. My 2nd car was an 85 Accord that had A/C for 3 days before the compressor poo poo itself. My next car had A/C for about 4 years before the compressor on that blew up. The job I was working at I drove a lovely mid 90s Ford diesel van with no A/C and had to load 100s of old 17" crt monitors and computers in the middle of the summer. gently caress all yall talking about Texans who can't deal with the heat.

There's a reason I no longer live in the hellhole.
Meanwhile in Colorado, winter still hasn't bothered to come around :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's a very tiny car. Also, the Camry is a loving boat these days.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Every time I see a car with BBS RCs on them it makes me miss my GLI. I think those are literally the perfect wheel.

Also, as far as Mr Florida up there, gently caress that guy. Anyone who drives a chrome vehicle can eat a dick. This goes for all those cocksuckers who drive 18 wheelers with a giant chrome rear door. No, I didn't need to be able to see today, thanks rear end in a top hat.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I imagine the danger is being told "sorry sir, your warranty is no longer valid and we can't say your car is safe anymore because you didn't replace the wheels at 10000 miles like we told you to" if you don't do it. It seems that most of these cars get sold rather than have people worry about that.

I see no issue with this as long as you get the old wheels back :) I bet they make great wall art.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Fo3 posted:

That first (dark green) green one is a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe.

The maroon one looks like a 1930s Model B Ford V8 Roadster

the third, (light green) one is a 1953 Ford customline

And what that, I'm all sleuthed out.
I know nothing about them, but used to play "guess the car" games in other forums and needed something to do for a while.

Edit: Stuff it, I know it's going to be easy, (as it's going to be a 1930s ford), so I'll do the last one.
The last one is a 1937 Ford Cabriolet.

What kind of money do you figure is involved in getting a car to this level of restoration? I'm trying to justify why I'm building a bug and not an early ford/chevy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This makes me feel better. Once everything is said and done, my 58 bug will probably have 250 hours of my time sunk in it, and I'm guessing 10-15 grand. Anyone who rebuilds a car for profit is out of their mind.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, I went into it knowing I'd never recoupe my time or money. Otherwise I'd have bought someone else's money pit and let them eat the loss.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Indicated 120 in a '72 Nova sedan with a 307. :whatup:

That's loving suicidal. I've done 125 in my old GLI on i-10 in the middle of the night with my brother spotting a few miles ahead of me and damned if that wasn't enough to make me think I could die at any given moment.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhotoKirk posted:

We got a friend's Monte Carlo north of 100MPH on a road that had a HUGE drop when it crossed West Little York. It was both glorious and terrifying when that car left the pavement, followed by completely terrifying when it crashed back to Earth. Bottomed out on all four corners, sparks, horrible noises.

It never really drove right after that.

In Houston? I actually know where you are talking about. We used to jump the tracks before they put in the toll road :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nothing wrong with riding without a front plate, I've been doing it for 8 years and have yet to get pulled over for it.

Is there something odd about this picture or do the blades deflect that much while in motion?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The front apron of my bug actually has tons of lead on it from when it was repaired back in the early 60s.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ExplodingSims posted:

I wish I had taken a picture of this contraption this guy showed me, but a few weeks ago I went to buy this old jack from a guy who ran a shop, and after I got he asked if I wanted to see anything else he had for sale, and then lit up and said he had something I'd probably never seen before. What he had was this old-rear end lead sprayer. It kinda looked like a paint gun, with no tank and a power cord running out of it, and a feed for these lead rods on the top. I guess it would melt them down and spray lead to fix dents. I couldn't believe they actually used something like that.

This really sounds like a bad idea on every possible level.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

VikingSkull posted:

The government has a thing for muscle cars. The even inadvertently killed the first wave of muscle cars with one!

Link

Can you please explain why a car needs to chase a jet?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Gorilla Salad posted:

So it seems some guy has decided to join two Jeeps together to make a larger one.

No, not like that, the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fy6IHPriDQ

I figured out what that Jeep reminded me of.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

Along the same lines, guy needed a rototiller, but didn't have one. He did have a rock crawling comp buggy and a spare set of dented up rims plus some old rototiller blades, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVVF40k_dPM

So is that buggy 4wd? The 4 wheel steering sure does look convenient.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tusen Takk posted:

My friend is a huge Audi fanatic and has one of these, if I remember right he picked it up for less than $3,000 and has put $5,000 worth of work into it.

A quick CL search yielded this; not exactly what's in that video but I believe it's all the same stuff in a wagon
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3431954993.html

gently caress you right in the ear for posting this. I don't have room for a third car, and this thing is less than an hour from me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just make sure you get the ring back when she inevitably kicks your rear end out for not buying her the house she wants.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The rear end of the new vette looks super complicated. God I miss the days where cars could be worked on by the owner.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

And I raise you Dax Shepards Continental. This is how it should be done.

Also It does look like something I could see someone shooting a Tommy Gun out of, sure. But, it looks broken, too. Its like someone spent $1,000 on a car, and $4,000 on the paint job.

What forum do you think you're in buddy? My bug cost me 1500 dollars and it was just a rusted husk of a car. By the time I'm done it'll have over 15000 worth of time and parts in it. I don't think you "get" classic cars.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm considering part of that the hours spent. All in, I'll have probably around 8-9k in parts.

I really should have bought someone else's project, but that point is long past.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you haven't seen the movie, he drives the gently caress out of that car too. I have to wonder how many sets of tires he went through. From what I read, that is actually his personal car used in the movie too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

davebo posted:

I don't want this to sound snarky or anything but I noticed that it's fallen back to page 3 so I thought I'd mention that we actually have a thread just for cars like some of the ones you've been posting, so you may want to consider posting some things there in the future.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509860

Holy poo poo, did you really just equate a bad rear end car on airbags to the poo poo in the hellaflush thread?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

This picture is pretty awesome right here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I live near DIA and my house was built in the past 4 years. It's a non issue. Any house that was built in the last 10 that isn't a huge pile of poo poo should be drat near sound proof to the outside world.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Where is the wheelie bar? This car would not be able to move under its own power without tipping over backwards on the first pull and sheering off the fan.

Also, radials sound like rear end when they idle, is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Unfortunately not an actual swap but at least we know it will fit.

What? Someone is putting a Honda engine in a vette?