Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

VikingSkull posted:

They were supposed to build a 2 1/2 mile superspeedway here with drag racing and everything, on some buffer lands near the regional/ANG base. Got denied because of noise concerns, meanwhile C-5A's flew over it every day until the C-17s took over.

:psyduck:

Hey, that's funny. This track opened in 2003. It was closed from 2004-2010 due to noise complaints.

Now you may look at it on a map and think it's pretty close to that neighborhood to the south. Then scroll a bit to the north and notice Luke loving Airforce Base. Apparently people that live in the area have no problem putting up with a dozen squadrons of F-16s, but a few race cars from time to time is entirely unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

This is my favorite car of all time. It's even better in video form.

https://youtu.be/Sh_8zMVlNVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_8zMVlNVM

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

MetaJew posted:

My wife wants to put Ronal Bear wheels on her Model Y. I don't disagree with her taste, but Bear aerodiscs would be better for range...

It's a good thing Rotiform is very expensive or I would be tempted to suggest. this.

baerodiscs

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

BlackMK4 posted:

body of car make air go different paths instead of straight
make wang that is curved to match differing airflow angles
profit (except not really because lol at random companies doing the CFD to match the profile to a given car instead of just selling their $20 of CF)

General rule of thumb is that once the wing is roughly roof level then it is seeing cleaner air, so you'd run a 2d profile wing.

Counterpoint - curvey wing looks rad

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

:pcgaming:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hey look at this kick-rear end van.

https://www.motor1.com/news/593940/ford-electric-supervan-reveal-specs/

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

The Hot Wheels Legends car show was in town this weekend. I got to see some cool cars so now you get to see some cool cars. Unfortunately it was packed so photos were a bit limited but here are my favorites.

The P1800 is such a drat good looking car and this one was flawless.

I have no idea what this is (there was a sign but I forget) but it sure was neat. Look at those tiny little doors.

My best of show was this '49 Ford body swapped onto late model BMW underbits. I have a total hard-on for vintage metal with modern touches like aero, wide body and deep dish wheels, so this was right up my alley.

Runner up and honorable mention to this rad bozu kei truck.

No honors or recognition for the pretty sweet Chevy OBS with an amazing interior. You seemed cool until I met the owner and his Three Percenter tattoo. Instead you can piss off.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hadlock posted:

What is under the center console of the new Corvette, if it's a mid engine rwd car

In a FR configuration that space would understandably be used for the transmission/driveline tunnel, just seems like a massive waste of space to me; interior sucks

Better than a GNX at least

$5 says that's where the batteries go for the hybrid version, similar to how they did in the Volt.

I also believe the gas models have two trunks because the front one will get used or at least encroached on by the front axle motor.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I went to the Good Guys Car show today. They tend to lean far too show and shine for my tastes, but I did find a few AI worthy cars to share.

We immedately found ourselves around the autocross cars right when walking in, so we were off to a good start. There was no shortage of cool racey poo poo to look at, but the most eye catching of all was this Ranchero.

As documented elsewhere in this thread, I love vintage muscle with aero and fender flares, so I was sold immediately. In chatting with the builders (pictured), they mentioned they're currently thrid in their class, despite being up against much higher dollar competition and running the stock 6 cylinder. They thought they could get back to second place as soon as they work around the AWD system pushing the front end.

Wait sorry what? AWD?

It was at this point they revealed the truck was bodyswapped onto a late-ish model Audi (A6 maybe? I don't know Audis), explaining the name Quattchero. I love it.

Next - lowered stepside trucks are good. I should actually get to work on mine.

Here is a VW. It is Too Cool.

Here's under the hood of that VW.

Sadly I did not get to hear it run.

Last is this beat up old Scout 80.

Note the chopped top and raised and stretched wheel wells. If off road rat rods weren't already a thing they are now.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I'll have you know that VW motor has not one but two whole fans. Also there are two heat exchangers (presumably oil) in the clamshell.

And yeah, I am selling the Scout short. The bodywork was rough, but it was pretty serious underneath.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Darchangel posted:

Neat fog light coves on the bumper of that F-100. Is that handmade, or does someone make those? Looks clean.

That front bumper is the first thing that jumped out to me when I saw that truck. I stared at it for a good while and it was as well done up close as it looks in the picture. No clue on whether it was built or bought, but now I want to do something similar.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Garbage picture because some stupid big truck was in the way but spotted this at Costco today.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

MrYenko posted:

Everything about that fuckin rules.

Yeah I agree

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Truck show picture dump of awesome things and nothing but positivity incoming:

Rampside Corvairs are awesome. Mid engine conversions are awesome too, even when they're not done..

Step vans are awesome. Creamsicle paint is awesome. Ice cream is awesome. Old work trucks being used for work is awesome.

Huge blowers are awesome.

Tube frames are awesome. Mid engine conversions are awesome again.

Sharpie art is awesome.

Panel Suburbans are awesome.

Trucks with THREE ENTIRE FEET chopped out of them while still maintaining proportions and lines are awesome.

This other step van is awesome.

And finally, this itty bitty Samurai is awesome.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

boxen posted:

Man I really need to get my wagon running.

(no, i'm not making a thread just yet, there's nothing interesting to post other than this picture)

I will read the words and look at the pictures you eventually post about this wagon

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hadlock posted:

Careful, or I'll start dumping all my weird DS photos in the thread again

oh no please, whatever you do don't do that

do that

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

It's like all my interests mashed into one vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOew6leKfao

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I went to a car show today and saw many awesome things. Let me share them with you.

Bubble top Impalas are awesome.

This truck-rear end truck is awesome.

This long and low Pontiac is awesome (and for sale for $150k!).

Hilariously wide tires that make no effort to fit properly are awesome.

Race car Corvairs are awesome.

Wagons are always awesome.

This S10 with a drift-spec angle kit and reversed headers just for the sake of running exhaust out the hood (complete with X-pipe) is awesome.

Engine setback measured in feet is awesome.

Lastly, this hilariously tiny truck is awesome. It was like a Photoshop come to life. It would have been funnier with an itty bitty open bed though.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Coincidentally I saw one of those at a show this past weekend. It was displayed with the top half way between up and down. No word on whether that was a conscious decision or just where it got stuck.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Darchangel posted:

Replied to this in the chat thread, but for those that don't read there - it's not just Motor Trend - it's ALL of Motor Trend's publishers car mags, including Hot Rod, Car Craft, Street Rodder, etc.!

Oh man, Freiburger-era Car Craft set the course for everything car related in my life. I am going to spend so much time going back through those issues.

EDIT: They don't have any Car Craft prior to 2008. How dare you Motortrend.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 26, 2023

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

lol at the thought of selling 50,000 of those things.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I'm not usually one for show car caliber stuff, but drat that engine bay. :aaa:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Agree with all of that but need to give credit to this one notable and awesome exception (sorry about the watermark, I am too phone posting to find the original).

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

The price is bonkers but oh god it's :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

All of those reasonably sized trucks are very good. Awesome even. We should look into doing that.