Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oxbrain posted:

I get very angry about other peoples styling decisions.

This but unironically. Stop ruining cars.

Between the white lines has really been killing it lately:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 28, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You're arguing about whether wheels on an old Integra are stock JDM in the picture thread, by the way. Seriously, shut the gently caress up you dweebs.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 29, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The amount of engineering in the R18 is seriously breathtaking sometimes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Aqualung posted:

Dude that tank is from WWII or something, definitely not the fall of the USSR.

They were in active duty until the late 70s at least, so not too far off. Customer states used em will into the 90s.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Serious dreamcar status.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ash with a five posted:

I think there's a S2000 contest currently going on to have the weirdest, most nuttery fenders you can.

11.5J all round haha.

Those look like they are actually functional for track speed btw, if they have a good splitter situation. Pulling air out of the wheel wells does wonders for front downforce. Not sure if thats the type of thing car owners like this actually think about, though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BlackMK4 posted:

Good in theory isn't always good in practice anyway.

Considering i dont see a splitter at all, i would say yes. But bro. It looks like it might do a thing (even though it doesnt) and thats megadopesicksweet!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Judging by that milling setup and the cad screen, it's not like the dude is a joe schmo. Ok maybe a little, winxp lawl.

Also those pictures reminded me of my days working in the racecar shop and it made me strangely miss it even though it was brutal work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The sad/great part about the Onyx is that everything underneath that sexy body is what was left when the 908 Hybrid4 was cancelled. They reskinned the already constructed car and replaced the monocoque. Meaning it's a full Le Mans overall title contender LMP1 prototype under all that. Twin turbo V8 that makes 600hp and 1000lb/ft, plus twin electric motors at the front wheels, and more technology and engineering than you can shake about $60+ million worth of sticks at.

It's one of the few just-for-shits concept cars that I genuinely think is very, very loving cool.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Cars today weigh a poo poo ton more than they did 15 years ago.

1993 1.6l Mondeo: 2,678lb curb weight roughly
2013 base Mondeo: 3,322lb

So roughly 25% heavier, yet the base Mondeo still has double the power of the '93. Cars are stupidly over powered these days, with most of that power being used to propel gigantic SUVs to ridiculous speeds while the driver reads tweets on their phone.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like cars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

joat mon posted:

I thought he (and his truck and cars) were out of Vegas.

cars drive

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hennessey may be a bunch of assholes but the noise that Camaro makes going by is beautiful as hell.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I still don't 'get' time attack.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Throatwarbler posted:

You drive around a track and the guy with the best time wins? What is there to not get?

If you're going to go that crazy with aero and engine mods, whats the point of keeping the silhouette body shape of a street car? You could got a hell of a lot faster with a totally ground up aero design, and you are already so far out that any resemblance or relevance to street cars is basically a joke.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bucephalus posted:

I don't 'get' LeMons, so

You dont get Lemons racing? Pretty simple concept man.

e: also apparently time attack is a sore subject for a lot of you, jesus.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 27, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jedrick posted:

National
Ass
Sex
Club
Also
Racing

This suits my needs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Such a pretty scheme for a slow engine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

G-Mach posted:

He never used that setup as a daily driver

Who gives a poo poo? Also that guy is a piece of trash, hope this helps.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CornHolio posted:

Automotive Sanity isn't where you are, bro.

Cool, this thing again.

Nobody cares about your definition of poo poo, just post cars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

veedubfreak posted:

My brain cant parse this image. Is that actually 4 GINORMOUS engines in a tiny car? How exactly does this work.

Four 3,000hp Allison V-1710 V12s (of P-38, P39, and P-40 WW2 fighter use), for 12,000hp total. Never made a pass in anger because the owner couldn't afford the custom clutches needed, ha.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39402

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 31, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RIP Lancia. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DoLittle posted:

All the other things reported seem to be from this 30th Oct 2012 presentation. My intepretation is that it does not state that Lancia will be killed altogether, although it does not promise a rosy future for the brand either:

- "Lancia–Chrysler integration hindered by market condition and limited brand appeal outside Italy"

- "Reduce/curtail Lancia exposure, preserving uniqueness of Ypsilon and rely on Chrysler’s NAFTA development to feed European brand, if economically viable"

- There is a new Lancia model to be released in 2015.

So, my take is that the decision to completely kill Lancia hasn't yet been made, but sales of Lancia are low enough that it development of separate models is not viable. There will stilll be few Lancias for sale, but these will be rebadged Chryslers. Of course, it is quite possible in couple of years time the brand will disappear. Lancia is being put down softly.

I don't see where the autoblogs conclusion that the Panda will be rebadged as a Jeep comes from either, considering the statement "Focus Fiat brand on 500 and Panda as pillar vehicles (brands within a brand)" in the presentation.

The news that Lancia is dead came from a Marchionne conference call today. There are some choice quotes, like: “We must rid ourselves of the illusion that we can build [a]new Lancia.”

There are mixed quotes about the future of the company from various spokes persons, but Lancia is realistically dead. Whether it takes 6 months or 3 years, its obvious from Marchionne's quotes that they have no plans for the brand moving forward.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Throatwarbler posted:

This is awful. Why does it have 2 fuel fillers?

It's a race buckeye with an attached venthose.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jonathan posted:

That STI squad car isn't as quick as the Mustang GT 5.0 highway patrol cars on the I-5 south of Portland, atleast when it's dry out. 440 some odd horsepower.

Squad car generally refers to a patrol car, or a beat car. AKA a car you can stick someone in the back of. The Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers/Corvettes that various PDs have goofed with over the years are generally pursuit or response units... no back seat, not really a day to day 'squad' car.

Generally, it's spergin anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nofx owns, but Datsun 710s? Well... you can get em to look pretty nice if you've got a loooot of time!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It looks kinda like the cars in Syndicate.

Yeeeesssssssssss. *dunnah dunnah dunnah dunnanon dun dun dun dun*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody cares about your opinion of the Prius, i hope this helps. :tipshat:

Here's Ronnie Peterson demonstrating to Emmo Fittipaldi the concept of opposite lock.