Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

http://www.advanceautowire.com/mgbgtv8/

Completely rebuilt MGB with a very clean V8 swap, 3-linked rear, custom front suspension, etc.

That car is incredible. Wish I had the time/money/space/knowledge to build something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

EightBit posted:

Lol what? I drive all summer with the doors off of my TJ, and it has working A/C, in San Antonio. I would love to own an Atom, I'd be able to drive it nearly all year.

There's a big difference between having shade (bikini top) and nothing. I drive my Miata all year round in FL without using the AC, but during the summer the top is up with the rear window down, no way I could do it with the top down exposed to the sun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Spotted this in the car park at work:

Esprit Turbo, from the license plate. I couldn't get over how low it was. Didnt come past my hips. (I'm 6'2)

I see these a lot in FL, and a friend of my wife's owns a BRG V8. I didn't realize you can get them so cheap, you can get a nice one for under 30k easy but I have no clue what they cost to maintain. Anyone know more about them? IIRC the early four banger turbos weren't reliable but I could have that backwards.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/12/subaru-leone

Subaru Leone with an EJ22T closed-deck block, STI v8 heads, twin scroll turbo with the world's priciest Full-Race header, STI 6-speed drivetrain behind it.

Rear subframe must've been a bitch.

This car is incredible, Sock please go check it out and take pics :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

And that is why we were stuck with the piece of poo poo BP and FS-DE combination for so long in actual Mazda cars.

How is the BP a piece of poo poo? I can agree with the FS, but the BP is an awesome motor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

neckbeard posted:

There was a 6 hour endurance race on the lake by my dad's place yesterday

This just does not seem fun at all. Basically it's who can endure the freezing coldness the longest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stardotstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-A9hIOPI

He also won that SPEED channel show "Setup."

Dude leaves people in the dust, check out this rear end-puckering moment at 1:40 :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3BkAoCdqE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I believe that was EnTier, haven't heard about that project in awhile.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like a steering wheel and column from a 70's Trans Am.

Cool car, that thing has potential.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is pretty cool, kinda wondering where the radiator is though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnrOeu0KE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Paul Boz_ posted:

Check this out:

http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/design/superb-filmography-of-cars

*I'm on a 14" laptop and that doesn't break my tables so sorry if I smashed your monitor :(

Miami Vice car needs to the black Daytona Spyder :colbert:

Jesus we're frickin' car geeks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I'm going to do some A/B testing for a friend regarding Miata intakes. The short of it is that he wants to use a 3D printed intake tube that will go into the bumper cover and have access to ambient air versus having a hot air intake within the engine bay. It's some Next. Level. poo poo.

Materials and shipping are like $35 for the printed tube.

Make sure you post this in the Miata thread. Let us know how it works out, if everything goes well I'll order one for sure. Would any size cone filter fit in there? I'm gonna have to look in mine, I can't remember how much space is available in front of the radiator there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dammit, now I want 3D printer.

[edit] :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 25, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

It is a chopped up 4 door cherokee. People in the offroad world do that a lot, with levels of bodywork quality from "loving hackjob deathtrap" to the point where random strangers walk up and remark that they didn't know an SUT edition of the cherokee was ever made.

Got any pics of the good ones? Or better yet a thread where someone does it? I'd love to see how one would go about it. Could be a lot cheaper than buying a Wrangler I suppose.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That song is awesome, Joe Walsh is awesome, you shut it :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I don't know about the driving away part but you're right about why they catch fire. The carbs are very...italian in their tuning and long periods of idling tends to make petrol start pooling everywhere and eventually something bursts into flames.

Has anyone ever retro fitted them with ITBs? I know the purists would scoff, but if you drove it a lot it might be a good idea.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Hilarious!

It's hilarious to want to drive a car without dying in a fire?

That's what I'm talking about. Nice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

This girl posted an album on imgur from going out with her dad who's a plough driver, it's quite interesting:
http://imgur.com/gallery/VDCQf

Cool pics, looked through the whole thing and then made the mistake of reading the comments :v:

quote:

You had me at gang plow

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

You guys know those cheetah things that are used to fit tires onto wide wheels?

Well, they have other hilarious uses, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgRVPIsAIA

e: whoops didn't see the new misc chat thread.

That's kinda dumb because people die or get seriously injured if compressed air goes up your rear end.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn't it be pretty safe from that distance?

Who knows, but I wouldn't risk it. The horror stories are pretty awful.

Chinatown posted:

Luckily the only compressed air in my rear end goes outward.

:lol: Fart and poop jokes always work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It would be cool if Ferarri brought back some older models with retro styling. A modern Daytona Spyder would be loving sweet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In my search for a new Keith Moon avatar I found this:

Story is some local teenagers were oogling over it so Keith threw them the keys and let them take it for a spin. After a few hours when they didn't come back he went looking for them and found it in a ditch :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Keith Moon was a legend. Half of the crazy stories you hear about rock stars mainly come from him

Not only that but he was the probably the greatest rock drummer that ever lived.

If you are a rock fan and have never listened to Live at Leeds you're doing yourself a huge disservice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had a Kawi Mule for awhile, that thing was bullet proof and never got stuck no matter how hard I tried. 4 lo always got it out of any situation, great little trucks (atv).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You forgot the pic where he's wrapped around a tree.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah this just does not look right, the car nerd in me does not approve :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

I would be okay with it if it was a crankshaft

I would be too, but I'm guessing it wouldn't work for some reason? Otherwise why would you even do that?

The engine block tables are better anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tell that to the bleeding hearts in the SAS thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I dunno why they want to slow the cars down as a solution to that but seem really opposed to having a second fence.

I'd be all for a second fence, or just one big rear end gently caress off fence that would stop a tank. Wouldn't change the race on TV at all, and if you're at the race sit up higher if you don't like it.

But like was said, until somebody dies it ain't gonna happen.

xzzy posted:

I watch MotoGP for the actual race. :colbert:

MotoGP is the best racing on the planet right now imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is interesting, Dale Jr's real time reaction to the wreck, he was horrified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-w_j0YA96Q

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

88h88 posted:

Dale Jr seems like an upstanding dude. Respect.

For as famous as he is, he's probably the most humble guy in the garage. I've never heard a bad word spoken about him.

Some of the other guys not so much.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

I heard Tony Stewart runs over kids out of pure spite.

Yeah he has a temper, I had a few run ins with him back in my freelance days. He's cool to fans though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I will look up nascar on road circuits because that sounds pretty hilarious.

It's actually good racing, Watkins Glen is the best race of the season imo, and it's coming up on Aug 9.

Been to a few of the races there, and sitting in the stands outside of turn one is probably the best seat I've ever had at any race.

These are the turn one stands:

Here's a view from the stands, you can see the last turn going into the entire front stretch, down into turn one, then to the left going back up the hill into the S turn. It's good poo poo and I can't wait to get back for another race.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 8, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure the Ariel Atom uses Honda K motors, which are in cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

It's also sometimes a beetle, but still always a fiero.

This one in particular looks like the ultra rare 1 of 0 288 GTO targa. It's possible it could be a 308 GTS targa with a body kit, but like an onion you can peel one more layer off and it's a fiero.

It's certainly possible that a GTO owner could have had the roof hacked into a targa.

[e] but yeah that's a pretty good body kit, fooled me.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 19, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ferrari 308 LS swap, BAM instant reliable 308....sort of.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son already looks at me like I'm an rear end in a top hat because I can't afford the McClaren P1 he wants me to buy :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I took him to a local Cars n Coffee at a McClaren dealer today, then had to explain how all the cars for sale cost five times more than our house.

Got some pics, will post them later. A couple nice owner exotics, but mostly a bunch of modded out 3 series. Most of the cool cars were dealer cars :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

:eyepop: I'm not sure what's more magnificent, the car or what you're shooting with. What camera/lens combo are you using to get a narrow depth of field at such a wide angle?

Canon 14mm 2.8L or a 16-35 2.8L would be my guess, or whatever fast wide angle Nikon makes if he's shooting a Nikon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here are my pics from the Cars n Coffee, not a very good turnout because the weather has been lovely.