Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There is only one thing to describe that 2002. That thing is :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That looks fun as hell. Also slightly unsafe. But more fun. :golfclap:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That just gave me the biggest boner. :awesome:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I won't lie, I would do painful sexual things with that car.

:getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I'm fairly certain you mean that car would do painful sexual things to you.

Note I said "with" that car, not "to".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can smell the :420: from here.

Pass the bong. :feelsgood:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

At first I thought you meant the 90-02 Accord engine.. and was thinking "there is nothing sexy sounding about an F23A1".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

I saw a Gallardo Superleggera on my way back home this afternoon.

(click to embiggen)

Random :spergin: moment, but what county is that inspection from? I haven't seen an orange one, only blue and green.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

Take a wild guess at which county in Texas would use burnt orange. :|

El Paso, since they still have their special snowflake emissions testing out there.

Except that area nothing like El Paso. Or Bexar, for that matter.

In short, I have no loving clue. My last inspection was in Collin, which resulted in me getting a green sticker - but that was last year.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 8, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

Valt got it. That's a Travis County inspection sticker, but I ran into the Superleggera in Lagrange, headed towards Bastrop. I'm sure the owner has a house out 2222, along with all the other rich folk.

Oh. Derp, burnt orange, UT. Can you tell who doesn't give 2 shits about sports? :downs:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

30 years ago, yeah, you could build a 600hp SBC. It would idle like poo poo, hate anything less than 94 octane, and would be burning quite a bit of that high-octane fuel courtesy of the giant Holley carb sitting on top. Nevermind emissions tests.

Or if you go a bit further back, you probably would've used a big block to do the job - and had to deal with a vastly heavier engine up front.

Today, you can get that power with an all-aluminum small-block that will idle all day long without overheating or fouling plugs, and do so at a typical idle RPM. It will handle a quarter mile pass just as nicely as sitting in the In-N-Out drive-through.

My first vehicle was a 1980 Ford F-150 with the 351M. Something like 130-140 hp depending which rating you believe, in a 4000+ pound vehicle, and mine had highway gears (2.something). The 3 speed C-6 auto didn't help, when it wasn't slipping it was saying "what efficiency?". In my teen (read: stupid as gently caress) years I actually tried racing a Geo Metro with it... and lost. MPG was single digits most of the time, my best was 11 MPG when I moved from El Paso to DFW (about 650 miles).

My 4 cylinder 1999 Altima cranks out 150 hp/154 ft lbs from an engine roughly half the size (2.4 vs 5.8), in a 2800 pound chassis. And it's an 80s engine design that was kept alive long, long after it should have died. That power rating was the same from 93-99 (00-01 got an extra 5 hp). Mileage isn't anything to write home about, though I get better than EPA ratings - usually 21-23 city, ~25 mixed. Haven't had it on a road trip, so I can't vouch for highway, but it's rated 21/28/24 (city/highway/mixed). My most recent tank was about 50/50 city/country roads (lots of dirt roads, lots of 2 lane blacktop, lots of slowing to 30 for curves and accelerating back up to 60, no highway at all) and worked out to exactly 25 mpg, with the a/c on.

The itty bitty 1.4 in the Chevy Cruze cranks out almost the same power as my 2.4L Altima, admittedly with the help of a snail. Except even the automatic, and a pretty drat heavy chassis for a compact car (IIRC, it weighs about 250 lbs more than my Altima, despite being smaller), it felt a lot quicker than it should have. It's not fast, but the rental I had was still fun even with the automatic. I'll admit right now I'd drive the hell out of a MT Cruze or Sonic. I beat the poo poo out of it the entire day I had it - the average MPG display was 32 when I picked it up.. 35 when I dropped it off, despite mashing the gas everywhere. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

I spent a week with a manual Cruze 1.4 turbo recently and it was quite fun, although there seemed to be more lag than my Saaburu. Driving in town I still only averaged ~19 mpg.

It definitely had some nasty turbo lag. I don't see how the hell you can get 19 mpg from a 1.4 though.

Nocheez posted:

I have a co-worker who retired from GM, so he always buys GMs. His last car was a HHR SS with the turbocharged engine, but he sold that and is now driving a Cruze. He told me he could get me the same deal he got, and I asked how much. He told me it was around $25,000.

I'm sure it's a loaded model, but holy poo poo that's a lot of money for an economy car.

The LTZ's MSRP is $24,345 - that's before any options. I just optioned one up to $28,042... :stare:

I just tried optioning what I would actually drive (1LT manual with a few extras). Still a little over $21k, but that's with a sunroof, premium stereo, and fog lights. Can't get 4 wheel discs without going to the 2LT, and that forces leather seats on you :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If I flog the poo poo out of my Altima with the a/c on it'll dip to about 17 mpg. And that's winding it out to redline in every gear, WOT or foot off the gas.

It has a 2.4 instead of a 1.4, with slightly more hp/torque (150 hp/154 tq), only 5 gears, and isn't much lighter than a Cruze. Don't forget the 80s engine design, and it's closer to 200k than 100k.

Which is why I'm a bit shocked at 19 mpg from a 1.4. Laggy turbo or not.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Found this parked next to my car yesterday.

Sagebrush posted:

Probably not -- most places any changes to the plate, even if they don't affect the visibility of the numbering, are illegal. In Ontario, where we have white plates with blue lettering, it's even illegal to repaint the numbers blue when they start to wear off.

Texas actually had a law that made it illegal to have anything that obscured the name of the state in any way. Which made a lot of license plate frames illegal.

They revised it in 2007, now as long as half of the state name is visible you're fine. Made for a lot of :tinfoil: reporting on the news though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 18, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've seen this car around town a couple of times. It started popping up in my neighborhood recently....

Not quite as awesome, but a welcome change..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 22, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster avatar you say?

... homophobic you say?

There's plenty of donks in TX, especially when you go down to Houston. Denton didn't have that many of them, Dallas OTOH...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Linedance posted:

I know some photographers feel that a composition should stand on it's own as it was shot, but I find a bit of judicious cropping can really help make the subject pop.

So can a little bit of Photoshop - some quick and dirty burning on this:

And ffs that crazy tilt was giving me the worst veritgo :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's pretty loving awesome right there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

Well, that mystery seems to be solved, thanks for clearing that up. The world needs more Logan's Run cars in it

Most of Logan's Run was filmed right here in DFW. :clint:

First time I saw it, I saw them at the.. pool thing. Then realized "waitaminute, I've been there.. Ft Worth Water Gardens?!".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Indicated 120 in a '72 Nova sedan with a 307. :whatup:

Friend used to have a 73 Nova coupe with a built 350 (I have no idea what parts were actually in it, but it ran mid 12s on street tires, with a full interior and working a/c).

We managed to break the speedometer one night on I-10. No loving idea how fast we were going, but the tach was pegged (8000 rpm tach).

Ah, to be young and incredibly loving stupid again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's not a car, but it's certainly awesome compared to this time last year.

(price without card is 3c/gal higher on all grades - Kroger)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's a 59 Impala regularly parked at the other end of my street. Usually sits in front of their house, saw it in the wild once at Home Depot, but until today I'd never actually met the owner.

15 minutes from home today, I pulled up behind it. Never noticed the LED taillights before either.

Every time I see that car my pants get kinda tight. :allears:

Next time I bump into him, I'll :spergin: try to get more info on it. It's a beautiful car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brigdh posted:

aerodynamic alternatives legally exist

I really don't see them making a comeback, at least in the US - the ever-more stringent CAFE requirements effectively killed anything that may hurt aerodynamics.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

yyyyyy posted:

There's just something about any old photos of cars with old cameras that makes me love them, just that old type of film (i don't know poo poo about cameras) and the way it looks.

[click for big]

loving so pretty

To contribute some camera :spergin: stuff

The top photo looks like it was shot on either Fuji Velvia or Kodak Kodachrome, or a similar slide film. Velvia is still available, though you can't just drop it off at Walgreens/CVS (it needs to be sent off to someone who knows how to work with it). Kodachrome was phased out from 2002-2009, and the last roll was processed in mid-2010; Kodak no longer manufactures the chemicals necessary to develop Kodachrome. :smith:

I've shot using both Velvia and Kodachrome, they both give some :swoon: results.

I've been giving serious thought to picking up a few rolls of Velvia and digging out my old film SLR - it's been about 11 years since I shot any film. :allears:

The second photo looks more like a (really, really loving) lucky shot on run of the mill daylight film, probably ISO 200 guessing by the grain. Just guessing though; I'm sure leica can contribute more.

kastein posted:

I might be nuts but I think both are pretty cool.

I.. actually agree.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 25, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The comments say it better than I ever could.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Number 5 is apparently mostly car parts, with a touch of gas meter, garage door spring, timer, and who the gently caress knows what the lower box is? gently caress if I know. Oh yeah, alive too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 21, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saw this downtown today. Right hand drive with a chauffeur. :staredog:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

This is downtown Dallas right? Because I was recording a wedding in D.C. with the same car. I don't have the memory card with me so I'll take a still from video later, but in the meantime megarule so here's something high res:

Yeah, downtown Dallas. Know any background on it?

This is sorta AI related, and it was neat to ride:

Brief history on that car:

Wikipedia posted:

369 was built in 1925 by James Moore, Ltd. for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramway Board in Melbourne, Australia. The W2-class car was in continuous service in Melbourne for six decades before being purchased by MATA in 1986. Matilda arrived in Portland, Oregon by ship and was then trucked to Dallas. Acquired in running order, Matilda only required cosmetic modifications to give her a more North American appearance. In 2008, the car was equipped with air conditioning (eight roof-mounted units, powered by an inverter hidden under a seat).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 6, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saw this in Denton today. My pants got really tight when he gunned it..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saw this in Denton the other day.. it made some really awesome noises too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JackRabbitStorm posted:

C-c-c-c-c-rosspost!

Somewhat related

Also related

I'm gonna guess he only had liability on it; I can't imagine an insurance company wanting to touch it after the... work, even though it's an obvious total.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What happened to the Chevy swapped 928 project someone in here picked up awhile back?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wallaka posted:

The dude also has a beater 300 wheel horsepower '92 Civic with a 2-step, a 600+ whp Chevy 2500 that runs in the 11's and is building a turbo LSX '79 Malibu wagon. He posts as "denmah" on theturboforums.com, there are several build threads for other cars too.

He drives all his cars to the track.

AI as hell.

He sold the Fairmont. The 2500 is actually on the original engine with over 200k too.

Guy is loving nuts. And yeah, I spent way too much time going through his YouTube channel today. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akh3hm0ih6c

I definitely don't agree with those speeds on public roads, but holy poo poo that acceleration is blistering. And on the original engine (I think he did a cam and valve springs, the rest of the internals are original with ~212k).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

He only touched 100mph. Also, what's with the tach on the last pull?

Tach can only show up to 6000 - between the valve spring+cam upgrade, the ECU tuning (original ECU with HPTuners stuff, with the fuel cut + shift points being moved), and how hilariously dampened GM tachs are, the stock tach is merely the slightest suggestion of actual engine speed. With the stock tuning, I don't think it'll ever break 5500 at WOT.

GM tachs (hell, all gauges) are laughable enough that the tach in my stock 2006 Saturn Ion shows about 5k the moment I hit the rev limiter in 1st (rev limiter is around.. 6500?).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 27, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got to do a quick shoot of a friend's 1950 Mercury tonight - I'd prefer to shoot during the day (ISO 6400 and metal halide parking lot lights leave.. a bit to be desired), but this is the only time we were able to actually meet up anytime soon.

His dad left it to him when he passed away - it hasn't run in at least a decade (possibly as long as 20 years?) until recently. It's definitely a bit rough as it sits, but he has lots of plans for it.

Interior is from a 1964(?) Thunderbird, engine is a late 70s Chevy 350, no idea what the hell the steering column/wheel is from. I assume the trans is a TH350, he's not 100% sure on it. The windshield has a sticker from a long-defunct dragstrip, which made me chuckle a bit. Wish I'd remembered to get a photo of the sticker..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 4, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's definitely from some kind of GM - the ignition key has a GMC logo. :v:

Looking at it closer, I'm pretty sure you're right.

It's got tons of potential. Mechanically, it's solid, just slow (late 70s smog-era engine), he even claims working a/c. The body is straight, though the welds that attach the top are rusty as poo poo. Windshield is cracked, I don't think Safelite is going to stock something for a 63 year old car with a chopped top though. :downs:

Since the handles/locks are shaved, he has to leave the windows down whenever he parks it :saddowns: - whatever electric door opener mechanism it has doesn't work. It usually lives in his garage though - and he has a solid daily driver (mid 00s Focus), so this is very much a weekend cruiser for him.

He plans to keep it mostly as-is, aside from power and body repairs. He was very close to his dad and doesn't want to ever get rid of it, nor make any major changes. Just wants to improve upon what's already there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 4, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not quite as awesome as some other stuff, not my picture, but I'd totally drive this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cakefool posted:

How is this not your custom title yet? :v:

I was about to say "we can make this happen".

But his new one makes me laugh far more. Who's been handing out the titles this time?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Amazon has it, but not for streaming - DVD and VHS only. :smith:

The only streaming site I've managed to find for it is flixfling - which looks to be a little questionable with the legality. The "free trial" also requires a credit card, so...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Your date? :v: