Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Q_res posted:

Why would anyone think a 2010 Camry is lighter than a 2003 Malibu? :psyduck:

Beyond the fact that weights have been consistently trending upwards due to safety regs, the Camry is a bigger car.

Yeah that was my bad, I think I flipped the weights around...regardless, even being a heavier car & only having about 10HP more than the Malibu, it definitely feels/drives like it's way lighter. I'd guess the performance difference is likely more down to age & tuning (possibly maintenance too, even though I was OCD about it I have no idea if the prior owner was) but regardless, the Camry has been miles better than other cars I've owned or driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Skylines and subarus are great for watching people fail to do donuts.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, florida is flooded with 'state-legal' japanese stuff right now. they just do not care at all over there

You could slap Florida plates on a motorized wicker basket made in Albania and no one there will give a gently caress. Other states tend to be a bit more discriminating when it comes to vehicle registration.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yeah that was my bad, I think I flipped the weights around...regardless, even being a heavier car & only having about 10HP more than the Malibu, it definitely feels/drives like it's way lighter. I'd guess the performance difference is likely more down to age & tuning (possibly maintenance too, even though I was OCD about it I have no idea if the prior owner was) but regardless, the Camry has been miles better than other cars I've owned or driven.

The Camry's transmission had 2 more gears and was also not made by GM.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

90s Solo Cup posted:

You could slap Florida plates on a motorized wicker basket made in Albania and no one there will give a gently caress. Other states tend to be a bit more discriminating when it comes to vehicle registration.

Indiana isn't much different. Valid VIN? "Proof" of insurance? (it could really just be a typed sheet that says "I have insurance", and it would be accepted) Money? Your plate is in the mail!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Throatwarbler posted:

The Camry's transmission had 2 more gears and was also not made by GM.

Which of these do you think has more of an effect?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sagebrush posted:

now imagine what it's like to have a 30hp 300lb motorcycle! redline everywhere and third gear before you're across a big intersection :discourse:

My first bike was a kz400. I know that life.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Aren’t GM automatics generally pretty good?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My first bike was a kz400. I know that life.
The first bike I ever rode was an old Yamaha it465 my buddy picked up for a debt which he was owed. A 2-stroke, 465cc. Scared the poo poo out of me and amazing I didn't die.

But I love bikes and even though I don't ride daily, would feel weird if I didn't have one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Frond posted:

Yeah...like a lot of manufactures also can crank out a decent RWD trans.

It's when you move to FWD where things get sketchy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They seem OK reliability wise as long as they don't hook them up to a wildly overpowered engine like they did with those FWD V8s or the LS2 powered GMT360s. Never heard of them described as responsive or fast or efficient or "knows which gear it needs to be in" though.

Anyway I haven't driven a 03 Malibu, so it was just a statement of fact.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm going to make carbon fiber parts for the '03 Malibu market.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Most likely wrong thread, but I can't find the right one.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

Craftsman screwdriver for a column shift :kiss:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Frond posted:

The transaxles and 4L60/65e are fuckawful.

The 4L80e is decent and iirc most of their stuff bigger than that or with more gears is decent, but no evidence on hand for that.

The sloppy mechanics guys love 4L80es though because apparently they're 1000hp trannies if you slap a shift kit in there and... That's basically it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

The transaxles and 4L60/65e are fuckawful.

The 4L80e is decent and iirc most of their stuff bigger than that or with more gears is decent, but no evidence on hand for that.

The sloppy mechanics guys love 4L80es though because apparently they're 1000hp trannies if you slap a shift kit in there and... That's basically it.

Yeah if I didn't find my T56 for what seemed like a halfway reasonable deal at the time, plan B was a 6L80E with a manual reverse valve body. Seems like it's the new TH400 in terms of being the default trans for big power.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Throatwarbler posted:

They seem OK reliability wise as long as they don't hook them up to a wildly overpowered engine like they did with those FWD V8s or the LS2 powered GMT360s. Never heard of them described as responsive or fast or efficient or "knows which gear it needs to be in" though.

Anyway I haven't driven a 03 Malibu, so it was just a statement of fact.

GM FWD transmissions are a crapshoot, but my personal knowledge of them ends with the 4T60E, 4T65E and 4T80E. The first two can't handle much more than what a supercharged 3800 can put out. See: Impala SS with the LS4 5.3L. The last one is pretty stout by all accounts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TotalLossBrain posted:

this is indeed the wrong thread

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

90s Solo Cup posted:

GM FWD transmissions are a crapshoot, but my personal knowledge of them ends with the 4T60E, 4T65E and 4T80E. The first two can't handle much more than what a supercharged 3800 can put out. See: Impala SS with the LS4 5.3L. The last one is pretty stout by all accounts.

Had a 4T65E in my Park Avenue Ultra (supercharged). After a road trip in some very "hilly" conditions it started shifting rough. After some research I was 99% certain it was a solenoid in the valve body. Well that idea went out the window when I saw you had to drop the subframe to crack it open.

Also "enjoyed" the fact you need a special tool to replace the trans filter properly.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Rhyno posted:

this is indeed the wrong thread

Agreed. You could do a whole lot worse with more and different flags, stickers, and other paraphernalia that wouldn't look out of place on a car like that but make it a whole lot more distasteful. No Dixie; No Blue Stripe; No MAGA; just a plain pair of original Stars and Stripes that keeps it unobjectable, wholesome, and not detract from the car.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, florida is flooded with 'state-legal' japanese stuff right now. they just do not care at all over there
I saw a Cefiro driving around here in CFL and my loving eyes went wide

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Edward IV posted:

Agreed. You could do a whole lot worse with more and different flags, stickers, and other paraphernalia that wouldn't look out of place on a car like that but make it a whole lot more distasteful. No Dixie; No Blue Stripe; No MAGA; just a plain pair of original Stars and Stripes that keeps it unobjectable, wholesome, and not detract from the car.

True, but a comically oversized American Flag is just an INCH from a Trump 2020, Gadsden or Blue line Fascist flag.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

beep-beep car is go posted:

True, but a comically oversized American Flag is just an INCH from a Trump 2020, Gadsden or Blue line Fascist flag.

There are two comically oversized flags on that car.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

On the other hand, they're in Richland, WA so I don't see why they need to be discrete and just don't go whole hog. Unless the owner has some restraint and semblance of taste or the picture was taken before "Blue Lives Matters" and all that other cruft became "fashionable."

Regardless, the car as is is fine and not terrible. Anything more than oversized American flags would make it appropriate for this thread.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 7, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zeether posted:

I saw a Cefiro driving around here in CFL and my loving eyes went wide

Was it orange? :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Was it orange? :v:
White with gold rims

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's not an oversized flag lol, that's pretty much normal size. I have one for the house for the 4th and memorial day about the same size, but I don't stick it out my car window :v:

[e] standard size is 3' x 5' so that looks about right

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 8, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On a flagpole that’s fine, on a car it’s absurd.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cross-referencing flag sizes against chud.xlsx to determine how I should feel about that car

(it's cool)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Snowy posted:

On a flagpole that’s fine, on a car it’s absurd.

I get that, but to say it's a comically oversized flag is comically inaccurate :v:

Ok now that is highly unnecessary what is wrong with people

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yeah... and I'm only as far south as Virginia.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was in PA a few years back and quite surprised at the deer hunting culture out east, seemed pretty over the top. Especially at the mounted deer that people had displayed seemingly everywhere (even restaurants) - they were so tiny compared to what we get out west.

Also that Browning symbol, my wife had no idea what it was supposed to be so she calls it a fat medusa with her arms supporting her back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Was in PA a few years back and quite surprised at the deer hunting culture out east, seemed pretty over the top. Especially at the mounted deer that people had displayed seemingly everywhere (even restaurants) - they were so tiny compared to what we get out west.

Yeah.....we are over the top.

And we have white tails. They are definitely smaller than your mulelies. But at least the gallop instead of hopping.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Speaking of symbols on cars, what's the one that looks like a drippy cumshot people are putting on their mallcrawlers? I'm assuming it's something to do with the outdoors for people who spend as little time there as possible, I only see it on semi-expensive SUVs with 22" or larger wheels and rubber band tires.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

slidebite posted:

Also that Browning symbol, my wife had no idea what it was supposed to be so she calls it a fat medusa with her arms supporting her back.

My fiance calls it the Dr. Zoidberg.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

redgubbinz posted:

Speaking of symbols on cars, what's the one that looks like a drippy cumshot people are putting on their mallcrawlers? I'm assuming it's something to do with the outdoors for people who spend as little time there as possible, I only see it on semi-expensive SUVs with 22" or larger wheels and rubber band tires.

SLUTLIFE

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It took me YEARS to figure out what those stickers say.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

redgubbinz posted:

Do you mean Slut Life/Salt Life?

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟